Pretty Little Liars

• Please log in to reply

19183 replies to this topic

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 19, 2014 @ 8:29 PM

Just a quick note because it seems to be an ongoing problem with this thread and I'd rather just post once and address it instead of giving out warnings here and there:

Please spell out curse words. Don't use asterisks to mask them. Everyone knows what word you mean. If you're grown up enough to post here, you're grown up enough to read the word fuck. PM me if you have questions.

Houddy

Houddy

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

I loved Byron asking Aria if he could talk to Holden and Holden got on the phone. If there was a way for Byron to stick it to Ezra without totally hurting Aria at the same time, I want that to happen. Because Byron is too smug to win, but Ezra's too stupid to. I want them both to lose.

I would love it if the two of them get themselves locked in some kind of battle over Aria that somehow costs them both their jobs. Like, say, Byron outs Ezra's relationship with a student and in turn Ezra outs the fact that Bryon was in fact screwing one of his own students. And while all this is happening Aria just walks away from it all realizing that neither of them are worth the effort and Holden is far more interesting and easily more mature than either Ezra or Byron.

gotta love it

gotta love it

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

As much as I hate Byron, I'm still on his side in this. It's because I find it so annoying how Ezzzzria magically manages to never be caught. It's like no matter who tries to stop them, they keep winning without even realizing it (remember A making Hanna give Ella a ticket to the writing thing they went to?). Their dumb luck/interference of others just grates on my nerves.

Houddy

Houddy

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

Their dumb luck/interference of others just grates on my nerves.

I agree but I've decided to convince myself that this is how A is fucking with Aria. By setting it up so that Aria is stuck in the lamest relationship ever with no hope of escape she is truly torturing little Aria with the whole careful what you want (relationship with an adult) because you might get it (relationship with an adult in age but not personality). I know it's a stretch but it's how I cope with the single most boring EPIC!LOVE! of all time.

It is pretty annoying that they keep avoiding any real consequences at all. Especially because one would think that A would be all over them. It's one of the easiest secrets to reveal and yet...nothing.

Jack Shaftoe

Jack Shaftoe

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 2:26 PM

As to why they can't tell, I'd say it's because, on one side, what A does to them is so mixed with their secrets and their past with Ali, which they are still struggling with, and then because how do you fully get across how dangerous A is?

Tell them that A ran Hanna over and tried to frame them all for the murder of Ali, it should do the trick.

The conspiration required to fake Ali's death would be huge. The police worked on it as a whole, there must have been so much coverage, Ali's family identified the body, there was an autopsy report. Ali was just a teenager, why go through all this? Why not either kill her for real or send her away from Rosewood?

True but this is a show where A is downright omniscient and the police is more deeply stupid than even the Sunnydale police. Anything is possible.

About A and knowing Spencer and Toby still have feelings and so on, A's blackmail/deals are about control and hurting the Liars. When A gets what s/he wants, s/he keeps his/her end of these deals, like returning money to Hanna over mind games though not returning the money (leaving them broke) or having Hanna's mother arrested would have ruined Hanna's life. Spencer gave Toby up so she believes Toby is safe because A is satisfied with this. Could she be wrong? Yes, but it saves her sanity to believe she does have this degree of control, that her actions matter.

I get that but I also think Toby and Caleb would be safer if they know what to look out and just how high the stakes are. Plus, A has shown that he/she has no qualms of using the same info for blackmail again and again - for instance the money Ashley stole. If it were a deal of the "I do what you say, you hand over all the incriminating evidence" kind then I would understand, but as it is A can still blackmail them whenever he/she feels like it. They did what A asked in 2.12 and A still framed them for murder/tampering with evidence.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 2:39 PM

Yea, I really don't have a problem with Byron. Is he a hypocrit? Yes in a way. But he's also the parent of a 16yr old who just had an affair with her teacher. Granted, I zone out a lot during his scenes but I'm not sure what the appropriate behavior of a parent in this situation should be. I'm not necessarily opposed to the "do as I say, not as I do" model of parenting in this situation. And in fairness to Byron, I think most would find it difficult to give Aria as much freedom as they have after the revelation.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

Going up a couple of pages, during S-1 I often wondered if Ali was really dead and to be truthful, still do. Her body was discovered over a year later in the then Maya house I think. Sorry to be graphic but I would think it would have been obvious to anyone entering the property that something was amiss. As for her parents identifying her, what would be left to identify? I thought when Hanna was forced to work at the dentist's office something would turn up with dental records, either proving or disproving that the body found was Ali's. It's almost like a teaser from the writers that was later abandoned. My knowledge on corpses is miniscule, however I don't think anyone rotting away in an empty house for a year would be recognizable w/out dental records or DNA or something.

I agree that A sometimes keeps promises, sometimes not. As pointed out by a prior poster, she tortured Hanna several times about the lasagna box money. So I can see where the girls feel the boys may be safer not knowing the depth of the all-seeing A. Also agree that since Ali had the sense to bribe and try to get info on the phone, why did none of our savvy crew do that? And Caleb the hacker, even if he doesn't realize how dangerous A is, I'm surprised Spencer didn't tell him the moment they turned over the phone to copy the whole mess to something else, then work on decoding it. And why am I asking? This is the same show that has spied on, videotaped girls never looking for hidden cameras and prancing around in front of windows at night with the drapes open. Not to mention wandering around in the woods at night.

Snapple12

Snapple12

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

Also agree that since Ali had the sense to bribe and try to get info on the phone, why did none of our savvy crew do that?

Doesn't the number that A texts them from always come up as "unknown"?

withtranquileye

withtranquileye

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:22 AM

Also agree that since Ali had the sense to bribe and try to get info on the phone, why did none of our savvy crew do that?

Doesn't the number that A texts them from always come up as "unknown"?

Here's what I think is going on with the cellphones: I think that A was using a blocked number from a land line or contract cellphone (like the kind that most of us have where our numbers are linked with our names and credit card information.) After A found out that Ali traced the "unknown" calls, s/he got smart and moved on to prepaid cells. Now, the number shouldn't be linked to anyone because (as they said in the episode) the person paid cash. So, now if they find out the number, it will lead them to a nameless cell that A could dump at any point. (But if they just want the number so that they can call A, they could use a service like TrapCall.)

If they got the police involved, the Rosewood police could possibly ask the Philadelphia police to pull CCTV records from the area surrounding the newsstand around the time the person (A?) bought the phones. But if you've ever seen CCTV footage on the news, you know it's not very clear. At most they could maybe get the buyer's race, gender, and a relative height (is the person tiny like Mona, etc.)

My knowledge on corpses is miniscule, however I don't think anyone rotting away in an empty house for a year would be recognizable w/out dental records or DNA or something.

She was found outside when they were digging a hole for the foundation for Maya's mom's cello studio. One year, buried in Pennsylvania's climate (hot, humid summers and cold, wet winters), she was likely little more than bones.
I'm going to save everyone the science because it's kind of gruesome to discuss. However, if you want to know more, this article explains things really clearly, even if you don't have a background in science. Warning: it contains graphic images and descriptions of corpses.

gotta love it

gotta love it

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 1:05 AM

About the cell phones: I honestly just think the Liars never thought of it. I don't think it matters if the caller is Blocked or Unknown; with the right tech from the phone company, they can be traced to an extent. Of course, I'm not a tech person, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But nice thinking on Ali's part.

Snapple12

Snapple12

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

About the cell phones: I honestly just think the Liars never thought of it. I don't think it matters if the caller is Blocked or Unknown; with the right tech from the phone company, they can be traced to an extent. Of course, I'm not a tech person, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But nice thinking on Ali's part.

What I meant was that if the number does come up as blocked or unknown then I can see how they wouldn't really think of it.

Loverly Emma

Loverly Emma

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 1:46 PM

So tonight's episode seems like it might actually revolve around Ella a bit...

Fine with me because I'm Holly Marie Combs' bitch. All the way.

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 1:53 PM

It kills me how often we get a dun dun DUN! event, followed by all the PLL's phones going off, and they all react like "who is calling me now?" By this point, when their phones ring they should just be rolling their eyes and exchanging weary glances.

Sara Sunshine

Sara Sunshine

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 1:55 PM

Fine with me because I'm Holly Marie Combs' bitch. All the way.

Same. In regards to the previous 'why did you start watching' question, it was totally HMC. I was a Charmed junkie and Piper was always my favorite. In fact it amused me in the pilot to watch her talk with her hands because I kept expecting things to blow up.

I stayed because I'm a sucker for teen mystery/suspense shows.

Snapple12

Snapple12

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

In regards to the previous 'why did you start watching' question, it was totally HMC.

That's exactly the same reason why I started watching too. She's also the reason why I still like Ella no matter how clueless she is.

Loverly Emma

Loverly Emma

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 2:02 PM

In fact it amused me in the pilot to watch her talk with her hands because I kept expecting things to blow up.

My roommate came in while I was watching and I confused the hell out of her by inadvertently (and repeatedly) referring to the character as Piper.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

It kills me how often we get a dun dun DUN! event, followed by all the PLL's phones going off, and they all react like "who is calling me now?" By this point, when their phones ring they should just be rolling their eyes and exchanging weary glances.

I know. I'd love to see them all give each other an "Oh, crap—again?!" look instead of the scaredy-cat stuff we get.

So tonight's episode seems like it might actually revolve around Ella a bit...

I'd like to see her get a bit more of a spine. I like that she's supporting Byron though she doesn't agree totally with his iron-fist rule of Aria (that's good parenting), but I wish we'd see her push Byron a little more than she does. None of the parents are complete idiots, and Ashley is awesome, of course, so spread the wealth, show!

Edited by dubbel zout, Feb 20, 2012 @ 2:04 PM.

Jack Shaftoe

Jack Shaftoe

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 3:28 PM

What I meant was that if the number does come up as blocked or unknown then I can see how they wouldn't really think of it.

Why not? That's the first thing I thought and looking at the thread quite a few posters too. A blocked number doesn't mean you can never find the identity of the caller. we know that they won't succeed because that would be the end of the show but the Liars don't know that, so it's very odd that they never even tried.

I was rewatching some S1 episodes and now I have a question. Why did A run over Hanna? I mean, he must have been watching Hanna because he immediately found her so he must have known that she saw Noel Kahn, not A. Or at least that she didn't see him. Unless he has a GPS tracker or something and found her by the position of her phone. Still, the panic seems so excessive. Would A rush into murder if he only suspected that he was uncovered? The more I think about it, the more it seems it was a cliffhanger for the sake of cliffhanger.

And my word, Spencer looks as if she is at least ten years older than Hanna in their opening scene in episode one! I don't know why that is because in some other scenes in the same episode she looks far younger than that. But the first time I saw her I was all "This is a high school student?!? Really, show?". Even Maya was more believable at first. How quickly things change.

Snapple12

Snapple12

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 4:34 PM

Why not? That's the first thing I thought and looking at the thread quite a few posters too. A blocked number doesn't mean you can never find the identity of the caller.

Well I know that but I don't know if when I was 16 I would have thought of it. Maybe I would have eventually but maybe not right away.

I was rewatching some S1 episodes and now I have a question. Why did A run over Hanna? I mean, he must have been watching Hanna because he immediately found her so he must have known that she saw Noel Kahn, not A. Or at least that she didn't see him. Unless he has a GPS tracker or something and found her by the position of her phone. Still, the panic seems so excessive. Would A rush into murder if he only suspected that he was uncovered? The more I think about it, the more it seems it was a cliffhanger for the sake of cliffhanger.

It does seem like it was for the sake of a cliffhanger. In the books Hanna actually did see A but after she got hit she didn't remember until A was about to kill Spencer.

Sara Sunshine

Sara Sunshine

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

I. Marlene King on Episode 21

I have to rant about this slightly spoilerly blurb/article about tonight and future storyline, and I'll bar it just in case. But its pretty much been said before.

It is ridiculous that Ezra probably won't take this job. I know MK has a fascination/obsession with Ezaria but she should have come up with a different story line on Byron getting rid of Ezra. I don't necessarily care if Aria and Ezra stay together - I have no dog in that fight. But the fact that he'd be giving up a huge career advancement with his minimal qualifications to date a 17 year old girl is insane. And based on the fact that they're still going strong in Season 3 based on this article leads me to assume that Ezra decides Aria is worth passing up a gigantic undeserved promotion? No one is that stupid. Not even these two morons.

I really hope they surprise me and figure out a way to have him take the job plus stay w/Aria but I'm seriously doubting it. You should never listen to 17 year olds! They don't know enough!

MahoganyBonics

MahoganyBonics

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 5:54 PM

I've been watching the marathon like the loyal fan I am, and I came up with a few events which are leading me to believe A is blackmailing other people:

-Mike punching Ezra; he seemed to be acting very strange from when he came down the stairs. He never said anything and then just randomly took a swing. (A is probably who he's been talking to on the computer, as others have pointed out)

-Noel breaking up with Mona, and possibly the subsequent hookup with Jenna (to make him look suspicious to the Liars)

-Maya "torpedo"ing the dinner with Emily and Pam- perhaps the ex-boyfriend actually doesn't exist, and A texted her in the middle there to remind her to bring it up so as to cause friction (A as the "stalker" has been a popular theory)

-Kate sending out the text from Hanna's phone, as to me it seemed like Kate didn't really have a trick up her sleeve she was waiting to pull out, even after Spencer confronted her

-This one's a bit of a stretch, but Caleb continuing his pursuit of the phone's information after Hanna told him to stop. I think A knows that the Liars won't find anything extremely revealing on the phone, and therefore used this sugar bowl to drive a wedge between Hanna and Caleb. I feel like Caleb wouldn't continue without Hanna's consent; doesn't he trust her more than Emily/Aria/Spencer? A's threat to Hanna to make Caleb stop hacking was to reveal the money in the ravioli box, which I feel like A would never reveal, as it would change the status quo for Hanna too much; she'd probably have to move away if her mom went to jail

-I think that at the school lock-in, A told Noel that Caleb was up to something (hurting Aria? I think Noel still has feelings for Aria, which is another reason why his hookup with Jenna is suspicious), leading to his fervent search for him

ETA: Maya lighting up at Emily's party
Mona helping Emily? In an attempt to make Emily suspect her

I find it highly possible that nearly every side-plot is a diversion directly set up by A, through manipulation of these other characters.

Edited by MahoganyBonics, Feb 20, 2012 @ 7:42 PM.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

"Who's this?" "I'm the money." Oh, Spencer. You are so awesome.

Aria kind of sucked today. The only reason she tells everyone that she and Ezra are still the most boring couple alive is because A might know? I wish Spencer had had more time to be angry with Aria.

I died when Hanna opened the gate while everyone else struggled with the chains on the other side. Hee!

I could only roll my eyes during the Ezria scene in the car. Those two are so stupid. Not to mention boring beyond belief.

Snapple12

Snapple12

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

That was really dumb of them to hand over all the money before he gave the information.

I figured Ella was going to come around, she doesn't like having her kids hate her.

I wonder if Maya's dead or just injured.

evalusion

evalusion

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

So, Aria is going on a secret mission that involves sneaking around in the dark, and her choice of attire is leggings with one bright leopard print leg, and I'm supposed to trust that this girl is reasonable and mature enough to know that her former teacher is her one true love. OK then.

ilsalund

ilsalund

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

Those pants of Aria's were just so upsetting. Of all the egregious sartorial errors she has made over the history of this series, those were absolutely the worst. I might not ever get over it.

Oh. The show. If Maya's dead I will cheer. If Ezra leaves for real I will cheer louder. Not that I actually think either of those things will actually end up happening.

Edited by ilsalund, Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:16 PM.

Scrapper

Scrapper

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

I like that the reason Ella decided to talk this out was because she was afraid stupid Aria would run away to New Orleans lol. Cause her dumb ass so would.

Also like that now everyone is starting to put the A pieces together. But, do we really believe we will find out who A is at the end of this season?

Spencer I love you but really Melissa is a piece of crap always has been. Ian obviously thought Melissa killed Ali so yeah...Melissa was there and she at least punched Ali in the face causing her to fall down. I really think a random third party is the real killer but apparently every shady person in Rosewood was there that night. I will cheer with happiness if the killer is Byron (cause he knocked up Ali) AND Ezra is A because he knew Byron did it (somehow someway lol).

Edited by Scrapper, Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:18 PM.

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

That was really dumb of them to hand over all the money before he gave the information.

Aria was the one that ripped the money out of Spencer's hand. She was hesitant to just give it to him. And that's why you don't take Aria with you anywhere, she's just useless. Which is also why A doesn't give a crap about her and her boring relationship with Ezbian.

Ezaria has to be the dullest taboo relationship in the history of television. There's no spark, they are just there.

Crazy Paige is back. What is with the people in this town that think when you just break up or might've broken up with your significant other it's ok to mack on that person? First Wren and now Paige.

DrunkSpencer likes to get sexy. I give Wren a lot of credit for resisting Spencer's sexy voice and caresses.

Another murder video that turned out to be a bust. Alison really had a busy pre-death day didn't she?

Was Melissa part of the NAT club or did she just want to kill Alison for sleeping with Ian? Poor Spencer she really does have the most insane family and now her sister may have murdered or been involved in murdering the friend she didn't really like all that much.

I still think Mona's A and is now playing with the girls upfront. They'd never suspect her if they think she's being messed with too. We don't know if she actually returned the necklace or went to the cops. She just told Hanna that to gain her complete trust.

I also think leaving that arrest report out for Ashley to find will be her downfall.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

First, wow drunk Spencer is like incredibly sexy. I mean Wren is a strong man, because yeah I would've gone to the special hell. Well I've also realized that I can't ship Spencer with people, because I just end up shipping with whoever she's on screen with. Also yay Melissa's back but no the creeper she was supposed to up with was Ezra; I never get things I want.

Also yay, hopefully dead Maya, and Crazy Paige is back. Also Emily is having Alison flashbacks, poor girl, the worst you treat her the more she makes you try to love her.

Lucy did an amazing job with the Ezria scenes tonight. I don't care about them and I hated Ella for making that idiot stay. However, I actually felt Aria's pain, anger, and resignation, before the writers made Ella an idiot. I wish they gave Lucy more to do, she's easily the 3rd best after Sasha and Troian.

Edited by dragonfirelance, Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:44 PM.

SublimeChica

SublimeChica

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

[Ezaria has to be the dullest taboo relationship in the history of television.

AMEN.

This is my biggest problem with this relationship, besides the obvious arguments. THERE IS JUST NO CHEMISTRY. I don't know if it's the acting (it's not Lucy Hale because she killed it in this ep) or the writing but I just cannot believe that this relationship is worth either of them sacrificing anything for.

Meanwhile, there is the whole Spencer/Wren scene which was totally hot and believable. At least they got that right.

MissL

MissL

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:02 PM

Ezaria has to be the dullest taboo relationship in the history of television.

Agree. And as an adult with teenagers I love in my life I'm completely freaked out that they keep making them in to star crossed lovers. He's her teacher! That being said I did crack up at Ezrah's reaction to Ella at his front door...that little "whoa-crap" noise he made was hilarious and I mostly think he's a terrible actor and not cute enough to make up for it.

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

I like CrazyPaige so I was happy to see her again. I don't hate Maya but I'm not the biggest fan of Emily/Maya and at least think Paige has some real chemistry with Emily, crazy chemistry but still.....As for whether or not Maya is dead...hmmm how long has it been since someone has been killed? Not since Ian right? I think we are due and Maya is connected enough to be interesting and "A" has been targeting Emily pretty heavily as of late so......yeah I can see it. Plus with Paige back yeah...ok. Maya's a goner.

I like Toby and am a Spencer/Toby shipper that being said, I really liked DrunkSpencer and Wren tonight. Hey maybe we should have DrunkEmily and DrunkSpencer in a room together....<ahem - bad visual place>...ok back to my point I like Spencer and Wren as well and the guy who plays Wren is a better actor so there's that....but I miss me some Toby...don't judge!!!

Is Melissa part of NAT because that would be all kinds of wrong and weird and creepy and....I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!!

Aria and Ezra just when I think they can't get any more boring...even when it might get interesting....it doesn't. Any other show mom finding out about them, and even willing to talk it would be all kinds of juicy awkward...this show...just plain boring awkward.

I loved Mona like always....poor Mona, getting community service for not ratting out Hanna and her mother. Hey but she might have made some new friends, but seriously considering how often her new friends get arrested that might not be such a good thing....still...I REALLY LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!

Edited by Nightmare Logic, Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:15 PM.