It's a Little Thing, But It Bugs: A Thread for Nitpickers

• Please log in to reply

1374 replies to this topic

candyangel

candyangel

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 3:28 AM

I've always been bothered when characters brush their teeth...and can have a full conversation due to the lack of foam. I can hardly get a sentence out when I'm brushing my teeth, there's too much foam! And most likely, I'll end up drooling on myself. I know it's silly/stupid but all that goes through my head is how dirty their teeth must feel! Maybe I just use too much toothpaste or don't spit frequently enough...

I'm new by the way. My name's Beth. :)

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 5:07 PM

I agree. And half the time they never rinse either. It's disgusting.

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 5:57 PM

I suspect that the paper bags are there to make production easy. Once they're open, they basically stay the same shape, and if you have to do multiple takes, you don't want to have a PA assigned to the duty of making sure that a plastic bag is crumpled the same way in each shot for continuity purposes.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 7:19 AM

I've always been bothered when characters brush their teeth...and can have a full conversation due to the lack of foam.

I know, right? The only thing I DO like about this scenario is that it's often pretty realistic, in terms of how normal busy families live. Lots of times, everyone's coming and going, so the only chance to swap information about what's going on in your life is while bustling through the bathroom, or hastily packing up lunches in the kitchen during the morning rush, etc.

(Also, hi Beth! Welcome! *waves*)

I would hope by now they're showing reusable cloth bags

I've seen it on several shows just this season. I like how they show it in terms of normal people just casually using the bags; just a couple years back, you'd only see some crazy hippie types with them, and it would be something to emphasize how crazy and hippie they were, y'know? Ugh.

Edited by SnarkySheep, Mar 23, 2012 @ 7:24 AM.

DedicatedFan

DedicatedFan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 8:28 PM

I have just watched the first eleven episodes of "The Bob Newhart Show," and they confirmed what I vaguely remembered from having watched the show when it first came on - Jerry seemed to be both an orthodontist and a dentist. He was specifically referred to as an orthodontist and mentioned putting braces on kids' teeth, but in three of those episodes, he pressured Bob into letting him clean his teeth. In one of those episodes, Bob mentioned that Jerry always cleaned his teeth for free. Do orthodontists clean people's teeth? In one episode, Jerry was annoyed that a woman wouldn't go out with him, and he told her that one day, she would be crawling to him on her hands and knees because she had a cavity, and he would blow cold air on it. Do orthodontists fill cavities?
In another episode, Jerry said that a dental hygienist had rented a chair in his office. Is that what is done in Illinois?

In the pilot episode, Bob's wife Emily was a substitute teacher. By the time the eleventh episode rolled around, she was a teacher, without any explanation given as to who left the school or why a position suddenly opened up.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 8:43 PM

Do orthodontists clean people's teeth?

Do dentists? I thought only hygienists did that.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 8:00 AM

Orthodontists might not do those things regularly but they do have the ability and training to do them. I could see him doing it for a friend or for girls he wants to get with.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

Certainly in the 70s many dentists had practices without hygienists. I know the first two dentists I went to did their own cleanings. Now hygienists are probably more common, but there are still dentists who do their own cleanings (my mom goes to one, and she's a youngish dentist around 40).

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 11:12 AM

Certainly in the 70s many dentists had practices without hygienists.

On Bob Newhart, Jerry didn't even have his own receptionist -- he shared Carol with Bob and the urologist. (That in itself bugged me, because while I could understand one woman working as receptionist for a bunch of similar doctors, these men did wildly different things, but that's for another thread.) So Jerry could certainly have been a jack of all trades. Plus, as Betsy said, I think he would've had to learn them initially, much like a doctor specializing in something first had to go through the general medical training.

In the pilot episode, Bob's wife Emily was a substitute teacher. By the time the eleventh episode rolled around, she was a teacher, without any explanation given as to who left the school or why a position suddenly opened up.

That never made sense to me either. I can't recall the details, though...is it possible that Emily was hired as a long-term sub and then just called herself their teacher? That happens a lot.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 5:44 PM

Dental hygienists are a relatively new thing. When I was growing up, the dentist had a dental assistant, but she mainly handed him tools and sterilized them.

The thing I always found fascinating about the Bob Newhart show was that the neighbor was a pilot. He acted like he would barely be able to tie his own shoes.

caci66

caci66

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

Howard was the pilot in the Bob Newhart Show. He suffered from the classic case of a character who got progressivly dumber as the show went on. That's about when I stopped watching it.

DedicatedFan

DedicatedFan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

is it possible that Emily was hired as a long-term sub and then just called herself their teacher?

What happened was that Emily had a meeting with other teachers and the principal in which she tried to persuade them to use a sex-education book in school. She referred to herself as a teacher, and the other teachers considered her to be a teacher. She did not get approval for the sex-ed book to be used. If she had been a substitute teacher, I doubt if anyone would have even listened to her.

I didn't know that orthodontists clean teeth (even though I'm sure they can), because before the braces were put on my teeth, my orthodontist said that I had to go to my dentist for a cleaning. He never suggested doing it himself.

Since a dental hygienist rented a chair in Jerry's office, dental hygienists were around then (in 1972). But she was around only for that one episode (because a romance between her and Jerry did not work out).

I had no problem with Carol being the receptionist for Bob, Jerry, and the urologist, but I did have a problem with the fact no one took her place and answered the phones when she went into Bob's office to talk, or Jerry's office to talk, or went downstairs to get coffee.

So far, when Howard's job has been referred to, he's been called a navigator, so I guess that's different from a pilot. Maybe he becomes a pilot later on. We'll see.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

So far, when Howard's job has been referred to, he's been called a navigator, so I guess that's different from a pilot. Maybe he becomes a pilot later on. We'll see.

Yes, Howard was always refered to as a navigator, and yes, that's different from a pilot. Back in the days before INS, DNS, GPS, and all the fancy electronics in a modern airliner, aircraft, especially international flights, carried a navigator. I don't recall if there was a career path to the pilot's seat - I know flight engineers (another relic of those days) often progressed to a pilot slot.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:46 AM

from before WWII until relatively recently US Military aviators, especially naval aviators F-14, and F-4 fighter jet aircrews being most famous would be put on the navigators track like Goose the "RIO" in Top Gun. A vision problem or just being left behind in "the right stuff" race as a 21 year old after basic flight instruction lead to that carer path and they would never be the pilot. It probably carried over into civil aviation who took in military trained aircrews

DedicatedFan

DedicatedFan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

In the 16th episode of the first season, Howard said that he had to sit behind the pilot and co-pilot and that he didn't have a window, so he definitely wasn't a pilot.

In the 17th episode, Bob celebrated his 40th birthday, which I thought was strange, since in an earlier episode, he had said that he was 40. Emily bought him a watch, and when Jerry called a jewelry store to see how much it cost, he found out that it cost $1,250. Then Bob found out that Emily had paid $1,300 for it at a different jewelry store. She told him that he could return it, because he said that it was too expensive, but he said that he couldn't, because it was engraved "Happy Birthday, Bob, I love you, I love you, I love you, love, Emily" and he thought it would be difficult for the store to sell it to someone else. At the end of the episode, he agreed to return it, so I guess it wasn't a problem after all.

In the 18th episode, Howard said that he got divorced when he was 40, so he must have been at least 41. However, in the 19th episode, he said that he joined the Air Force when he was 18 and his sister Debbie was 2. Now she was 22, so that would mean that Howard had to be 37, 38, or 39.

Also in the 19th episode, when Emily tried to fix up Debbie and Jerry, she asked Jerry, "Are you free tonight to take out a..." when Jerry interrupted her to say "tooth?" When Bob told Emily that blind dates didn't generally work out, she said that this one would, because Debbie was a pharmacist, and Jerry was a dentist." And Bob did not correct her. If that episode was the first TBNS episode seen by someone, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he thought that Jerry was a dentist.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

I remember freaking out when I saw the 40th birthday episode about two years ago. How can I be older than Bob Newhart? He's one of those guys who always seemed like he was 50, probably up until he was 80 or older. Tony Randall was the same way - prepetually 45 or so.

Edited by braggtastic, Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:43 AM.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

It's possible that Jerry was a dentist. Isn't that like, say, an ophthalmologist? They are doctors who specialize in the health of the eye. Aren't orthodontists dentists who specialize in straightening teeth? I do believe he would have to have his DDS to be an orthodontist. Although why Emily thought two people would get along simply because they both worked on the fringe of the medical field is beyond my comprehension.

DedicatedFan

DedicatedFan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

An opthomologist has an M.D., while an optometrist does not. I don't know how they relate to dentists and orthodontists. In the USA, I think that most people would call someone who puts braces on people's teeth an orthodontist, not a dentist. In the first episode of the second season, when Bob didn't really want to appear on the TV show "Psychology in Action," Jerry said that he would love to appear on the TV show "Gums in Action" if there were such a show. When I think of gum problems, I think of going to a dentist, not an orthodontist. This was another episode that, if it were the first episode of TBNS that someone saw, he would think that Jerry was a dentist.

In the 23rd episode of the first season, we learned that Bob and Emily had made reservations for a 63 day cruise to Europe, but Bob was having second thoughts, because he was reluctant to leave his group therapy group for so long. He finally agreed to go on the cruise, and shortly after he and Emily went into their cabin, Jerry and Carol showed up. Where did the cruise leave from - Chicago? If it left from New York, does that mean that Jerry and Carol flew to New York to wish Bob and Emily a bon voyage? And then the five members of the group therapy group showed up unexpectedly to wish Bob and Emily a bon voyage! Did they all fly to New York, too?

The episode was filmed in 1973. At the time, your friends could board the ship and see you off, but you can't do that nowadays, at least on the cruises that I've gone on. But I think that you had to provide a list of the friends that you were expecting.

Right after Bob and Emily got to their cabin, their luggage was delivered. Getting your luggage before the ship sails is unheard of.

There was no lifeboat drill, but there was a siren, and then there was another siren, and then the ship set sail, with Jerry, Carol, and the group therapy group all in Bob and Emily's cabin. Then there was a commercial break, and then we saw Bob and Emily alone in their cabin, talking about how they would be alone for 63 days. Nothing was said about how Jerry, Carol, and the group therapy group got off the ship. AAAGH!

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

I wish I could remember where this came from... I'm reminded of a show I saw once that seemed to imply that a character had arrived in Paris by cruise ship, and I spent the rest of the ep trying to picture a cruise ship in the Seine, mowing down all those itty bitty bridges and busting out all the walls of the quais as it sailed ever inland.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:47 PM

Aren't orthodontists dentists who specialize in straightening teeth? I do believe he would have to have his DDS to be an orthodontist.

From Dental Resources:

After a dentist graduates from dental school they can further there education by specializing in a branch of dentistry such as orthdontics by taking a 2 - 3 year residency program taking advanced orthodontic courses approved by the ADA American Dental Association . They will learn specialized skills relating to tooth movement and balancing facial irregularities. A dentist can only call themselves an orthodontist after completing this required advanced specialized education.

So all orthodontists are dentists, but not all dentists are orthodontists.

DedicatedFan

DedicatedFan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

I realize that orthodontists are dentists with a specialty, but what I meant was that people in the USA tend to call the people who put braces on teeth orthodontists, not dentists. And orthodontists don't tend to extract teeth or do cleanings, even though they are able to do so.

Actually, you can take a cruise to Paris, and Rome, and a lot of inland European cities. The cruiseship docks somewhere, and the passengers ride for several hours in a bus, or maybe a train, to get to their inland destinations. I did think it was strange that Bob and Emily said that they had never taken a cruise before, and their very first cruise was going to be 63 days long. Usually, people start with a week-long or shorter cruise to see if they like it.

On to "The Mary Tyler Moore Show." I just saw the 19th episode of the second season, in which Rhoda and Mary were surprised to learn that Phyllis knew how much rent they paid, because they thought that only the management company, L & P Management, knew how much it was. Then they figured out that L & P stood for Lars and Phyllis. IIRC in the pilot episode, after Mary and her boyfriend broke up, Mary called her college friend Phyllis (were they in the same sorority, too?) and learned that there was a vacant apartment in the apartment house that Phyllis owned in Minneapolis, and she decided to move there. She found Rhoda in her apartment measuring the windows for curtains, because Phyllis had promised Rhoda that when the tenant left, Rhoda could move from her attic apartment into the more desirable apartment. And then Rhoda found out that Phyllis screwed her over.

So unless I'm imagining things, I have no idea why Rhoda and Mary wouldn't have known that Phyllis knew how much rent they paid. Was there an episode in which Lars and Phyllis sold the building, while staying on as managers? In the episode I saw, Phyllis attempted to rent a vacant apartment to Ted, and when Ted balked at paying a cleaning fee, Phyllis said that she was sure she could get the owner to waive it. Was that because she and her husband are still the owners? It just didn't make sense.

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:48 PM

IIRC in the pilot episode, after Mary and her boyfriend broke up, Mary called her college friend Phyllis (were they in the same sorority, too?) and learned that there was a vacant apartment in the apartment house that Phyllis owned in Minneapolis, and she decided to move there.

No, Phyllis didn't own the building. In that first episode, when it was clear that Mary liked the apartment, Phyllis informed her that she had signed a year's lease for it on her behalf. Phyllis then went off to call the building owner, presumablly to formalize the arrangement.

I think Phyllis's role with the building had always been that of a manager/administrator - albeit in a very half-assed manner - throughout her time in the series. In Cloris Leachman's last episode - in Season 5 - Lars had demanded that she curb her spending. Naturally, she was aghast at the very idea. Mary then tried to show her how she herself lived on a budget. Phyllis pointed out a error in Mary's figures - the rent for the apartment had gone up. Something Phyllis had blithely forgotten to inform Mary.

Edited by dustylil, Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:16 PM.

DedicatedFan

DedicatedFan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

No, Phyllis didn't own the building. In that first episode, when it was clear that Mary liked the apartment, Phyllis informed her that she had signed a year's lease for it on her behalf. Phyllis then went off to call the building owner, presumablly to formalize the arrangement.

Wow, thanks so much, dustylil. I didn't remember that. All this time I thought that Phyllis and Lars owned the building. If Phyllis signed the lease on Mary's behalf, then she would know how much rent Mary paid. At first, I figured that Phyllis was taking a chance signing the lease before Mary even saw the apartment, but now I realize that if Mary hadn't liked it, Phyllis would have arranged for Rhoda to take over the lease. And Rhoda should have blamed herself for not rushing over and immediately signing a lease when that tenant moved out, instead of wasting her time measuring the windows for curtains.

In Cloris Leachman's last episode - in Season 5 - Lars had demanded that she curb her spending. Naturally, she was aghast at the very idea. Mary then tried to show her how she herself lived on a budget. Phyllis pointed out a error in Mary's figures - the rent for the apartment had gone up. Something Phyllis had blithely forgotten to inform Mary.

I remember that, but I didn't realize that it took place in Cloris' last episode. It reinforced what I thought up until now - that Phyllis and Lars owned the building.

To get back to TBNS, I watched the episode in which Jerry set his younger brother, after he graduated dental school, up in an office down the hall. Then he complained to Bob that his brother was luring his patients away with comic books. I found this hard to believe, because kids don't switch orthodontists in midstream (without a VERY good reason), and because the kids' parent, not the kids themselves, are the ones who book the appointments.

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

It reinforced what I thought up until now - that Phyllis and Lars owned the building.

Surprising isn't it? Although given Phyllis' spending habits and Lars' fancy women (I don't believe for a moment that Sue Ann Nivens was his first), maybe not.

grinch

grinch

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 8:59 PM

just saw the 19th episode of the second season, in which Rhoda and Mary were surprised to learn that Phyllis knew how much rent they paid, because they thought that only the management company, L & P Management, knew how much it was. Then they figured out that L & P stood for Lars and Phyllis.

I have a pretty clear memory of a scene where Rhoda &/or Mary corner Phyllis & she confesses that she concealed their ownership so as to avoid blame from tenants. It's been a long time though, so...

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

I have a pretty clear memory of a scene where Rhoda &/or Mary corner Phyllis & she confesses that she concealed their ownership so as to avoid blame from tenants.

Phyllis certainly did conceal her involvement in the management of the building so that she wouldn't have to deal building repairs and tenant complaints. Clearly the concept of work was an abstract one for Phyllis.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 7:37 AM

How on earth could Phyllis have signed a lease on Mary's behalf? Small detail on the show, but I'd think it would be a pretty HUGE one IRL...

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

IIRC in the pilot episode, after Mary and her boyfriend broke up, Mary called her college friend Phyllis (were they in the same sorority, too?)

Phyllis & Mary were in college together? That's news to me - I think Phyllis was supposed to be a good deal older than Mary. Mary was 30 in season one & Phyllis had Bess, who had to be at least 10. MTM was 34 playing 30 in season one & Cloris Leachman was 44 during season one.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:27 PM

Phyllis had Bess, who had to be at least 10.

Am I misremembering, or wasn't Bess Phyllis's stepdaughter?

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

No. Bess was Phyllis' bio daughter. Bess just called her mother by her first name.