Jay Rayner: The Brit We Really Want on TC

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

30 replies to this topic

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2010 @ 9:23 PM

He's witty (without being labored), he's passionate about food without being an asshole about it, he's got a varied but solid palate, and he's seriously cute in what he refers to as (paraphrasing here) a "hairy Anglo Jewish way". He also manages to critique the Chefs constructively while showing his respect for them and for the food they produce under whatever conditions are imposed. But he's not exactly TCM's Paula Abdul, either - he actually makes sense.

I'm planning on showing Jay Rayner a lot of love here, where appropriate - it will save him from being stalked by me in real life (j/k). But I'm also really interested in how his work on this show is seen by others! Also wondering how far his sexual metaphors will go this season. He's already infected James Oseland a bit (for the better, IMHO).

jackiecat

jackiecat

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2010 @ 3:17 PM

Love Jay! I developed a little crush on him last season. He's the best thing so far in the new TCM season (I do hope the chefs eventually become the best thing).

Rammchick

Rammchick

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2010 @ 10:53 AM

Totally totally agree. The funny thing is, at times, his facial expression makes you think he's going to say something snarky, but he usually doesn't. He's the anti-Toby Young ;)

Gulielma

Gulielma

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 10:01 AM

I adore Jay. He's funny, snarky, but fair.

Are you taking notes, Toby Young?

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 12:05 PM

Thoroughly appreciated his pub food expertise this week. Love that he's not a snob; he looks for things that are well-prepared and, above all, tasty.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 12:14 PM

Jay isn't just the Brit We Really Want on TC, he's the Brit We Want on all judged reality shows in the US. Simon Cowell and the Simon Cowell wannabees are just tiresome.

Jay isn't just the Anti-Toby, he's the Anti-Simon.

bigbookworm

bigbookworm

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2010 @ 3:29 AM

I'm reading his book right now. It's really good. Funny and his food descriptions make me salivate.

hung10

hung10

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2010 @ 1:54 PM

This guy didn't have his own thread from last season? He's great! TCM's panel of Gail, Gael, Kelly, and Jay definitely give the regular TC panel a run for their money, if not more.

HeavenLy

HeavenLy

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2010 @ 7:36 PM

I absolutely think he should be the one of the regular judges on Top Chef or something else so we see him more often. He is good humored and witty (unlike Toby). Jay's comments are insightful and more interesting than Toby's have ever been (panna cotta should quiver like a woman's breast vs. weapons of mass destruction). His saucy nature makes him hot to me;)

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2010 @ 12:34 AM

He looks a little like Penn Jillette to me--but yeah, I find Jay hot, smart funny men do that to me sometimes even if they are off-beat looking.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2010 @ 5:47 PM

Loved it when he referred to the 'bullying' quality of the feta cheese in Tony's pasta. It was such an unusual, but precise and understandable characterization of the dish.

Rammchick

Rammchick

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2010 @ 7:54 AM

I have the most raging crush on him -- he's smart, he's funny, he's sexy -- who could ask for anything more? Oh yeah -- he's British! :D

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted May 28, 2010 @ 1:47 PM

I was surprised he didn't pick up on Gail's bit about spreading Susan's coconut jam on her loved one. He usually has good natured fun with the sexy in-jokes.

Rammchick

Rammchick

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2010 @ 6:46 AM

TudorQueen, he might have, for all we know -- and we just didn't see it :( You're right -- perfect opportunity for him.

Rammchick

Rammchick

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2010 @ 7:39 AM

TudorQueen, you got your wish last night: "I want a whole bucket of this sauce (paraphrasing) and someone to smear it on!" ;)

Did all you guys see me putting my hand up, volunteering? LOL

Gulielma

Gulielma

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2010 @ 12:17 PM

A moment of silence for Claire Rayner, British nurse, novelist, "agony aunt", and mother of Jay Rayner. Clair Rayner died a few days ago.

Edited to remove the implication that Jay was the one who'd died.

Edited by Gulielma, Oct 13, 2010 @ 1:56 PM.

lunch

lunch

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2011 @ 2:00 PM

Weird. Bravo's TCM page quotes Rayner's blog about the finale:

There was a lot of very good stuff in that finale. What there wasn’t was the moment, when I lost my temper in a red-faced, eye-bulging, vein-swelling rage, during the critics’ last discussions.

...but the link that should go directly to that post doesn't. Instead, it links to a list of Rayner's posts, none of which deal with the finale.

It looks to me like his entry about the finale has been scrubbed from Bravo's site. I found some discussion of Rayner's post as it originally ran, but the post itself -- as linked from there -- seems to have disappeared. No wonder, considering how scathing it was about Moonen.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2011 @ 9:00 PM

Jay Rayner On Leaving Top Chef Masters

What's your involvement with Top Chef: Masters?
I've been sacked. All I know is that the new host is non-American and therefore they couldn't have another non-American accent on the panel. And that's fine. I'm reasonably assured that is the reason. I don't examine these things too deeply, because all jobs come to an end.

Being involved with TCM was fantastic. Being able to say I'd done it was fantastic. But it was difficult. I have two small children, and doing the show meant I would be in Los Angeles for a month at a time. And that was very, very hard.

It ended up with me phoning my wife and saying, "I've got good news and I've got bad news: the bad news is that I'm no longer involved with Top Chef: Masters, and the good news is that I'm no longer involved in Top Chef: Masters." I knew she'd be delighted.

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Feb 17, 2011 @ 6:01 PM

All I know is that the new host is non-American and therefore they couldn't have another non-American accent on the panel.

What, we American viewers are too dumb to differentiate between a Brit and an Aussie? We're too stupid to accept a couple of non-Americans on at the same time on one of our entertainment programs? Thanks for the vote of confidence in your viewers, Bravo.

MagnusPoopsie

MagnusPoopsie

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 23, 2011 @ 5:56 PM

What, we American viewers are too dumb to differentiate between a Brit and an Aussie? We're too stupid to accept a couple of non-Americans on at the same time on one of our entertainment programs? Thanks for the vote of confidence in your viewers, Bravo.

Seriously ITA! Sounds just like idiot corporate executive thinking, and now we're losing our best judge. I hope this Stone guy is worth it!

RescueMom

RescueMom

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 3, 2011 @ 2:33 PM

I would assume he was replaced due to the scathing blog he wrote after the last finale (the one that apparently has now been removed). I was pretty surprised that they posted it, actually. I really liked him as a judge and am sorry he is gone.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Mar 5, 2011 @ 7:24 PM

Sorry, TCM, but replacing Jay Rayner with Curtis Stone is like replacing that terrific little neighborhood steakhouse with the great side dishes and amazing sauces with an Outback.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2011 @ 7:31 AM

TudorQueen, Curtis Stone is replacing Kelly Choi as the host. Ruth Reichl is replacing Gael Greene. I do not remember seeing any announcement as yet to Jay's replacement at the Judges Table.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2011 @ 1:04 PM

Ok, I'm somewhat reassured by that. Thanks. And looking forward to Reichl.

scarlet1815

scarlet1815

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2011 @ 6:32 PM

But now that they've gone to TC:OG format for judging, wouldn't Curtis now be a judge much the same way Padma is, with the rotating guest judge in fourth?

macbeth

macbeth

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2011 @ 12:45 AM

Sacking Jay was a stupid move by Bravo. He was one of the reasons that made TCM special. And he served as a great foil for James. They were the odd couple of TC.

ratgirlagogo

ratgirlagogo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2011 @ 10:52 AM

On the Bravo TCM page they list Reichl and Oseland as judges and Curtis Stone as the host. No third judge. So if that's the final lineup this totally sucks. I really liked Jay Rayner too and having seen Stone before I don't think much of him as a judge.

On the bright side, at least they didn't replace Jay with Toby Young.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2011 @ 7:22 AM

Sorry, TCM, but replacing Jay Rayner with Curtis Stone is like replacing that terrific little neighborhood steakhouse with the great side dishes and amazing sauces with an Outback.

Snerk. How true.

Maybe Stone is a "Chef", but he's a "TV Chef" these days, and only a TV Chef.

Reichl is some serious guns and I'm glad they've added her. But a Stone for Rayner swap is ridiculous. Raynor is not only entertaining (in a similar way to Bourdain), but he's also a smart guy who knows how to talk and think about food, whereas Stone looks nice, is viewer friendly, and is theoretically a chef (he did work at one point with the hardcore Marco Pierre White, but I don't think he's really worked much in a restaurant since working for White). Not that I think someone has to be an active Chef to be qualified (critics like Reichl certainly aren't, Raynor the writer isn't, and my cross-show example, Bourdain hasn't been a "real" working Chef for a long time either). I just think Stone's a lightweight in so many other ways.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2011 @ 10:13 AM

I never saw Jay Rayner's infamous blog entry and for all I know it is the reason he's not back this year. But I think last year he also had some kind of visa issue at one point, which caused him to be unavailable for either one or two episodes. So it's possible that between the ripping blog entry (which seriously, no clue what it said, it just seems to exist in legend now) and the fact that this is a longer season -- which that's where the visa problem from last year may have been a concern -- they just opted to replace him.

I liked Jay, but then I also like Curtis Stone well enough.

But at least they had the wisdom to not try and replace Jay with a repeat performance of Toby Young. I'm sure he's a good food critic, but that is one dude who should stick to print. He just came across in the most strained, trying-too-hard manner.

Jay had a lot of ease in front of the camera and I liked him a lot, but it's also possible he didn't want to do the show again for a variety of reasons, including that for him, it's a lot of time away from home.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2011 @ 9:39 PM

Watched the first episode and there was a void where Jay used to be. I liked his insightful comments and he never tried too hard to be "clever" or "edgy" (read: Toby Young). I loved how he also approached each dish with enthusiasm.

See you Jay :(