Jesse St. James: Fling Awakening

• Please log in to reply

1101 replies to this topic

AllAboutMBTV

AllAboutMBTV

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2010 @ 2:24 PM

"Spring Awakening" on Broadway (Tony nominated for Best Actor) with BFF Lea Michele, "Hair" in Central Park, "Taking Woodstock" on the big screen, "One Life to Live" and now "Glee" on the small. Helloooo, Jonathan Groff...

NancyEss

NancyEss

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2010 @ 3:05 PM

This is a really entertaining interview with Jonathan Groff from last year. Other broadway stars included are Laura Benanti and Sutton Foster. The interviewer, Susan Blackwell, was in [title of show]. You won't see many interviews like this one!

Demian

Demian

Network Executive

Posted Apr 14, 2010 @ 3:26 PM

He's dreamy.

Mnemosyne78

Mnemosyne78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2010 @ 4:45 PM

Yes he is! I want to run my fingers through his hair.

When I first heard about the casting, and read that Jesse was supposed to be some kind of a badass it really seemed like odd casting. Jon Groff just looked too adoreable to be a badass. I just want to squish his face. But Jesse is rather hawt in all his charming obnoxiousness. He's a douche, but of a different variety than Puck. I'm ashamed to say I seem to be attracted to both. Sigh.

I love that he gives impromptu concerts to the homeless. What a guy. LOL!!!!!!

hgalve

hgalve

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2010 @ 5:19 PM

Can we keep him? Please?

Demian

Demian

Network Executive

Posted Apr 14, 2010 @ 5:28 PM

Well, on the one hand, he's a senior who's supposed to be attending The University Of California Los Angeles In Los Angeles in the fall, which would seem to indicate he won't be around for very long. On the other hand, Carmel High School is known to have 24-year-old sixth-year seniors roaming the halls, so maybe Wicked Idina will deliberately flunk him a couple of times.

dippychik

dippychik

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2010 @ 5:34 PM

Jon Groff just looked too adoreable to be a badass.

That was my feeling too, but damn if I don't love him in all his smarmy, arrogant, sweet singing glory.

I love that he gives impromptu concerts to the homeless

Can we please see this? Maybe he and Rachel can consider this a date.

Mnemosyne78

Mnemosyne78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2010 @ 5:43 PM

On the other hand, Carmel High School is known to have 24-year-old sixth-year seniors roaming the halls, so maybe Wicked Idina will deliberately flunk him a couple of times.

I just read an article where Murphy was regretting making Jesse a Senior. All I'm saying is...dude already gave himself an out. It's a plot contrivance that I have no problem looking the other way for.

Unusual Suspect

Unusual Suspect

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2010 @ 6:36 PM

... Yeah, I'm in love. And I've been singing Lionel Richie all day.

justbecasue

justbecasue

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2010 @ 7:25 PM

He seems like just a generally nice guy. I love that he described his relationship with Lea as "City mouse, country mouse".

Keep singing duets with Lea please.

Limber

Limber

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2010 @ 9:52 PM

He's amazing! Just the right amount of oily intensity. Fab!

I hope Murphy thinks of a way to keep him around. Is there a way he could lose his scholarship, maybe?

fengshoe

fengshoe

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2010 @ 10:24 PM

The overall reaction to Jesse/Jonathan Groff has been very positive, I think there is a good chance Ryan Murphy will at the very least make him a recurring character past this season. They could handwave the senior thing but they kinda called attention to it so I'm not sure if that'll work. But I could definitely see him losing his scholarship somehow as means to keeping him in Ohio, maybe the college gets wind of how he was trying to sabotage ND. Depending how his storyline this season ends I could see him staying around Lima and being Will's assistant coach of sorts, after all Terri was the school nurse, and that keeps him around ND and the main storyline.

Edited by fengshoe, Apr 14, 2010 @ 10:26 PM.

serenity28

serenity28

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 14, 2010 @ 11:09 PM

Equal parts amazing actor and singer!

I'd love to see his character redeem (because, even though smarmy is sexy, I'd hate to see Jesse break Rachel's heart and show no remorse); and stick around for another season.

BigBeans

BigBeans

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2010 @ 1:31 AM

It may just be because Cory really stepped up his game for this episode... but I kind of prefer Cory's voice over Jonathan's right now.

Other than that, I'm just a little lukewarm on Jesse right now, for reasons that have nothing to do with Jon Groff (who is fabulous). I know Ryan Murphy likes to speed through things but... man, I think I have whiplash from the way Jesse was introduced into the show.

dippychik

dippychik

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2010 @ 1:31 AM

Keep singing duets with Lea please.

Yes. It's great to hear them sing together. That's all I really want for however long he's on the show. As many duets as possible.

I did read somewhere that he and Ryan Murphy are pretty good friends, this is going to help him stick around longer right?

Edited by dippychik, Apr 15, 2010 @ 1:31 AM.

flickchick85

flickchick85

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2010 @ 2:07 AM

Can we keep him? Please?

I just came in to echo this sentiment.

Only he could make me like a Lionel Richie song. It must be love.

The Sarcaster

The Sarcaster

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2010 @ 8:06 AM

It may just be because Cory really stepped up his game for this episode... but I kind of prefer Cory's voice over Jonathan's right now.

I have to go with Groff in the vocal talent department. Much better than Cory, though I thought the doors song he did was a great choice for his vocals.

Groff was impressive and played a very good "male Rachel". That said, I suspect his tenure on Glee will be short. Otherwise, Finn as a character would be pretty much obsolete or they would have to jump the shark and bring in another female lead to balance things out. Too much work for the writers.

Unraveled

Unraveled

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2010 @ 9:01 AM

I'm a huge fan of Groff's voice, excessive spitting and all!

He sang Scott Alan's "Now." Scott Alan had a CD and that song is just simply beautiful. It looks like you can get a clip (or full download?) here.

For anyone wanting to see him live, he's doing a solo concert at Joe's Pub (NYC) on June 20.

And he's apparently out now, if wiki is to be believed. (He was hugely speculated as gay before.)

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2010 @ 10:13 AM

Didn't he come out at the march in Washington? He's dating (or was dating) Gavin Creel from Hair. Its also why Lea can't marry him, he has a condition you see.

dippychik

dippychik

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2010 @ 10:38 AM

Its also why Lea can't marry him, he has a condition you see.

Hee! And after her dad offered to buy him a house too. Those two are so cute together.

keelg

keelg

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2010 @ 11:11 AM

he has a condition you see.

You know if gay aversion treatments worked Lea would have signed him up by now ( or Lea's folks would have).

I like how after she said he had a condition , Jon was like " Oh God". These two are soe great together.

Limber

Limber

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2010 @ 9:27 PM

And he's apparently out now, if wiki is to be believed.

I heard he officially stated he's out (during the Washington march) to Broadway.com.

Reia

Reia

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2010 @ 12:31 PM

I'm a huge fan of Groff's voice, excessive spitting and all!

I'm not on the Jesse train as of yet, and I can't say I'm a fan of his voice at all. I'm willing to give him a couple more songs before I make my final decision because oftetimes a lot of vocal nuance gets lost if your voice doesn't suit the song: I haaaate Hello so I was already bound to be biased against it, and his voice was just inappropriate in quality for Highway to Hell. Heres to hoping he'll change my mind. This show could use a strong male lead vocal--other than Artie--because Finn's voice drives me insane.

The Sarcaster

The Sarcaster

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2010 @ 12:39 PM

and I can't say I'm a fan of his voice at all

I probably wouldn't buy a Groff CD, but for Glee, his voice is more than adequate. Not quite as good as Schue or Artie, but way better than Finn IMO - and better than Puck and Kurt.

I actually like Hello (Lionel Ritchie), and thought he did a great job singing with Lea on that tune.

Edited by The Sarcaster, Apr 20, 2010 @ 12:44 PM.

NancyEss

NancyEss

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2010 @ 5:09 PM

I've seen Jon Groff perform in person several times, most notably from the first row at Spring Awakening. My only issue with his singing is the volume of spit that comes flying out of his mouth. It's remarkable, and very distracting. I didn't notice it last week, so maybe he's gotten it under control. The tone of his voice can be lovely. He did a great job singing Morning Glow from Pippin at a charity event several years ago. I could definitely see him playing Pippin if they do a revival.

Screamie

Screamie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2010 @ 12:20 AM

I may be alone on this, but he really reminds me of Cary Elwes.

hgalve

hgalve

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2010 @ 12:21 AM

Damn you Jesse St. James. You'll probably break Rachel's heart but half the time a part of me actually believes you're being sincere. Loved Rachel/Jesse's adorable hug after Like A Prayer and their clandestine meeting in the library (in the Sondheim biography section of course!).

Edited by hgalve, Apr 21, 2010 @ 12:23 AM.

Mnemosyne78

Mnemosyne78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2010 @ 12:35 AM

The fact that Sondheim reflects his melencholia makes me love him even more. Sigh.

falulatonks

falulatonks

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2010 @ 8:04 AM

The way Groff delivers his lines is perfect - I got such a huge kick out of watching him during the "clandestine meeting", right down to the strange relief after Rachel tells him she still has his care bear. And his "at least come out so we can talk...or sing about it" made me truly believe he and Rachel are made for each other, in a crazy, no-one-else-can-understand-this-insanity kind of way.

I'm convinced he's up to no good, but at least we get to watch him like this for now.

The Sarcaster

The Sarcaster

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2010 @ 8:12 AM

Man, he is quite the dedicated spy, if that is what he is. Willing to sleep with the enemy! Gotta give him props - even though everything suggests otherwise, he seems to genuinely adore Rachel and appreciate her. Part of me appreciates that in a way.

I think he is such a better match than Finn, though I am starting to like Finn again, since he seems so genuinely remorseful for screwing up and also delivered that blistering mash-up of Borderline with Rachel.

Still, that scene in the library when he apologized for pressuring Rachel for sex was endearing. I am going to hate to see him go when the arc is over. Sniff...sniff:-)