Brandy & Ray J: A Family Business

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

241 replies to this topic

vixenstud

vixenstud

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2010 @ 9:20 PM

I thought Brandy should've fell back because Shorty was being real extra with it & disrespectful- that's what pushed Sonya over the edge. She was calm at first. When he saw that Ray's mama was offended, he should've stepped back & said sorry. That boy knew better than that.

EXACTLY! Shorty Mack was an asshole and needed to be put in his place....sorry, but cheesing and acting like a 2 year old instead of a GROWN ASSED MAN has no place at R&B or anywhere else professional for that matter.

ebnybbwprincess

ebnybbwprincess

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2010 @ 10:01 PM

I just wanted to address a few things that were said upthread.

Brandy's baby's father is Robert Jenkins is the cousin of Rodney Darkchild Jenkins. So Brandy's daughter is Darkchild's cousin.

The half brother situation would not be discussed on The Wendy Williams TV show because that is a whole different animal vs the Wendy Williams Experience (the radio show).

Sonja not only had a reputation for being difficult in business situations but there were also rumors that she drank as well.

ITA that Sonja seems to favor Ray J. I think Brandy was always Daddy's little girl so maybe that's why they seem to be in two camps.

LuvMuffin

LuvMuffin

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2010 @ 10:22 PM

It's soooo funny that women are called the "B" word and bashed in the music industry when they try to take care of real business but men just get a pass for just being "men". I like Sonja.

Sleepwalker12

Sleepwalker12

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2010 @ 12:59 AM

Did I blink and miss it? I've only seen two Episodes, but does Brandy/Ray J's father speak at all? I've only heard him say that he didn't know what was going on (in this last Ep.) and that's it. He seems to just be there, but not really active.

noluvnoluck

noluvnoluck

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2010 @ 4:36 AM

Anyone else find Brandy endearing? She's made dumb mistakes here and there, and I did hate her Punk'd episode. But I can't help but just like her. She seems very sweet and wears her heart not even on her sleeve, but like on her fingertips. She's so "out there". With the rap career, she's not even thinking "Gee, will my fans like this...I mean I've been doing R&B for years...?" She's just like "OMG I'm rapping yay, sweet!" Plus the whole thing with Flo, it's like she's not ashamed to look desperate, or the thing with Darkchild, she's not ashamed to look like a bitter whiner. IDK. I just like Bran.

Wackadoo82

Wackadoo82

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2010 @ 7:03 AM

That being said - can someone refresh my memory - was the accident before or after she was dropped from America's Got Talent? That show ultimately became pretty big and my guess is she had a 'comeback' riding on the success of that show.

It was before.

I do like Brandy. For how "real" reality shows are, the people on them come off as fake most of the time. I feel like Brandy is being completely real and genuine whenever she is on screen. In fact, I feel like the whole Norwood family is, for better or worse. It refreshing for me to not have to watch or hear others comment on how "staged" something is.

Allso i'm all on Brandy side in things involving her mother. Sonja shouldn't have jumped down Brandy's throat like she did and it's incredibly silly that she still hadn't apologized the next day. That's wha bugs me the most. That she was still feeling some kind of way about Brandy a day later. It wasn't her fault at all.

In terms of the accident, like it has been said, the average person didn't follow the Brandy altercation. She was involved in a accident that lead to someones death. That's all most people know or want to know about the subject. So, yeah, that did create problems for her family. That story was a big deal back when it happened.

I don't think anything Brandy has done in her career could justify Sonja treating her the way it comes off. Also, Ray J is no saint, so it's not like Brandy is the troublemaker in the family.

Oh and Mr. Norwod does talk. He's not as outspoken as the others but we've seen plenty of him talking over the course of the show.

spaceytraci17

spaceytraci17

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2010 @ 7:39 AM

It's soooo funny that women are called the "B" word and bashed in the music industry when they try to take care of real business but men just get a pass for just being "men". I like Sonja.

I'm all for "no-nonsense," and for that I appreciate that aspect of how Sonja handles business; However I don't think her letting Ray J. act a fool in the office, pulling a no-show to Brandy's performance, then acting like a spoiled brat by not speaking to anyone the next day is taking care of real business.

America

America

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2010 @ 8:36 PM

AyeshaTheGreat

As for Sonja calling Shorty Mac a nobody, ehh, she is a bit evil so I'm not surprised she said something like that. However, Brandy should know better than to step in front of a moving train. She knew her mom was wound up and she should have let that go because it was inevitable that The Wrath of Sonja was going to hit somebody else.

I'm not surprised either, that's what some people do in the heat of anger they hurl insults. Also, at 31 years of age if Brandy doesn't know to fall back when her mama is raging, then shame on her. Ray J knew better than to say anything and Willie was silent as well.

Sleepwalker12

but does Brandy/Ray J's father speak at all?

He does but not much; I feel Sonja wears the pants in that family and if Willie spoke out against her he would no doubt get the silent treatment and probably would be locked out of the bedroom.

AyeshaTheGreat

AyeshaTheGreat

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2010 @ 9:43 PM

I'm not surprised either, that's what some people do in the heat of anger they hurl insults. Also, at 31 years of age if Brandy doesn't know to fall back when her mama is raging, then shame on her. Ray J knew better than to say anything and Willie was silent as well.

Thanks for understanding what I was saying. I am not condoning what Sonja did but after 31 years, Brandy should know whether she avoid contact at that time. It is not like Sonja was talking to her so adding her opinion at that time was not going to help or change things.

The love your son/raise your daughter thing is not really about single moms. It happens across the board from my understanding in all types of families.

I am not talking about it from the perspective of the mother but more so from the perspective of the father. Sure, mothers may fall into that syndrome but when there is a father around, he should add that balance for the son to understand there are consequences to his actions. For instance, when Ray was talking about who Sonja was mad at and why, Ray said she wasn't mad at him because "it wasn't his fault." At that time, Willie should have stepped up and explained where Ray's behavior added fuel to the fire and how his friends/business associates' behaviors are also a reflection of him. But from what we saw, he didn't offer anything.

Edited by AyeshaTheGreat, May 8, 2010 @ 9:51 PM.

Sleepwalker12

Sleepwalker12

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2010 @ 1:57 AM

Thanks America
I've only seen 2 episodes, so I just wondered.

For instance, when Ray was talking about who Sonja was mad at and why, Ray said she wasn't mad at him because "it wasn't his fault." At that time, Willie should have stepped up and explained where Ray's behavior added fuel to the fire and how his friends/business associates' behaviors are also a reflection of him. But from what we saw, he didn't offer anything.

ITA. Like previously mentioned, he'd probably be toast if he went against Sonja, but if there ever was a time where he should have backed her up it was then.

twtexas17

twtexas17

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2010 @ 11:37 AM

The early showing just aired and i had to come here to post.

This episode basically summed up everything Brandy was complaining about. I dont think Brandy was trying to get her mom to say that she was right/wrong, Brandy just wanted her mother to LISTEN to her. Brandy just wanted a simple question answered ("why are you mad at me and not Ray?) and Sonja never gave her one or i didnt hear it when she explained. Their conversation started going into a different direction and i could see the frustration on Brandy's face. However, i do agree with one thing Sonja said, "I cant change. I can alter, but not change." That may be why many other ppl choose not to work with her. There's nothing wrong with knowing your self and sticking to what works best for you, but damn learn to be a little open-minded so that ppl can work with you. Sonja was so stuck on defending herself that she couldnt hear Brandy express her emotions. I was happy that Papa ray called Sonja out for treating baby Ray like the victim.

Plus i got a better understanding of the favoritism thing. Sonja didnt do anything but "talk" to Ray when he came to the meeting late. If Brandy came late, i bet she would have went off. Last week i was so pissed at Ray because he had this "i can do nothing wrong" attitude, but that now all changed after this episode. Ray is going to do what he is allowed to do. Ray can come in late to the meeting because he knows Sonja aint gonna do shit. He's not doing this stuff because he doesnt care, but because Sonja & crew arent holding him accountable. Hell i'll take advantage of it as well. But you notice he isnt doing this stuff with Rodney b/c Rodney will be on his ass and drop him if he keeps acting this way. Ray will focus if someone is seriously on his ass.

They didnt address Sonja not being at Brandy's rap performance so I am sad. :'(

shopper gal

shopper gal

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2010 @ 11:48 AM

ugh- I just found this episode terribly boring. Too much Brandy and Sonya.

I honestly couldn't even tell you what went down between B and Sonya...they were just blathering on and on and eventually it became the sound of Snoopy's teacher..wah wah wah wah...

Anyone know how much Ray gets paid for a club appearance?

Newhope

Newhope

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2010 @ 10:51 PM

This show almost had me fooled for a minute that it was "fairly real reality". However, after today's show, I know it has to be scripted with this thing between Brandy and her mom relationship versus Ray J and his mom relationship.

I cannot believe the mom is so obviously biased against Brandy and so tolerant with Ray J's ignorant, unprofessional antics at the office.

The scene that convinced me is the so called talk that the mom and Ray J had after he showed up late and with sunglasses on for the meeting. He's calling her by her 1st name, is indifferent, arrogant and stupid in that conversation. It has to be fabricated.

Brandy's father is an ignorant fool. He has never said anything, not one thing of any value even when they try and portray him as being so wise and prophetic, profound. He is not.

swankie

swankie

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2010 @ 1:22 PM

Brandy's father is an ignorant fool. He has never said anything, not one thing of any value even when they try and portray him as being so wise and prophetic, profound. He is not.

I totally agree. It's obvious to me that Sonja wears the pants in that family. Dad just agrees with whomever he happens to be talking to at the moment to avoid them being mad at him. Don't make waves and keep cashing the paychecks.

Tajeznah

Tajeznah

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2010 @ 3:00 PM

I've always been slightly put off by her holier than though image. I think that's why when I was younger me and my friends gravitated more towards Monica.

That makes me a little sad because although I was a little older than them, I was so tickled when Brandy, Monica & the late Aaliyah debuted and I just took each as different personalities. Brandy was the excited "little girl" of the trio while Monica & Aaliyah were more mature & mysterious.

Regarding Sonia: at the time that Brandy debuted & her mother took over her career management, she made it plain that she wasn't going to allow "the industry" to pimp out her daughter so she took a strong hand (and I do mean STRONG) in keeping Brandy's image clean and allowing her to be viewed as a teenager not a teen-aged hooker. I think that if Sonia was a man, the image would be a strong business-savy father protecting his daughter yet because she's a woman, she gets the "Bitch" label. She has always struck me as someone who doesn't put up with a whole bunch of foolishness & the record industry is nothing but - a lot of those men have an image of women as sexual playthings and Sonia made sure neither she nor her daughter were viewed that way & for that I respect her. On the other hand

swankie

swankie

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2010 @ 6:12 PM

a lot of those men have an image of women as sexual playthings and Sonia made sure neither she nor her daughter were viewed that way & for that I respect her.

I respect her too up until they try to pull the whole fake marriage thing. Did she really think they would get away with that bullshit? If she did, she may have been savy in some things, but very naive when it came to the media's ability to get at the truth. I guess they didn't pay Brandi's baby daddy enough hush money to keep it under wraps.

AyeshaTheGreat

AyeshaTheGreat

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2010 @ 9:45 PM

I respect her too up until they try to pull the whole fake marriage thing. Did she really think they would get away with that bullshit? If she did, she may have been savy in some things, but very naive when it came to the media's ability to get at the truth. I guess they didn't pay Brandi's baby daddy enough hush money to keep it under wraps.

Well in all fairness, while some may have questioned his love for Brandy, they really did get away with the fake marriage. It was the fake divorce that caused Robert to speak up. Had she not gone on and on about him and their marriage in whatever her album at that time was, he probably would have let it go.

As for this episode, I thought Brandy did a great job expressing her feelings to her mother. Her mother is so stubborn but I do like that Brandy wants to work on their mother/daughter relationship. And it was also interesting hearing Brandy talk about her experience with alternate management. I had no idea she had "left" her mother (or just hired additional help) in the past. I now understand why she is hesitant to go with new management.

Easyspreestep

Easyspreestep

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2010 @ 11:24 AM

I think Sonia is ovet the top. When you are hired by a person to do a job and being paid by that person to do that job. YOU WORK FOR THEM. It is crazy that Sonia can't or won't understand that.

Edited by Easyspreestep, May 11, 2010 @ 12:40 PM.

retiredonsofa

retiredonsofa

Video Archivist

Posted May 11, 2010 @ 12:35 PM

Easyspreestep, very well said! Sonia thinks of it as a family business and not that she works for Brady and RayJ.

Easyspreestep

Easyspreestep

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2010 @ 12:41 PM

Thanks Retiredonsofa and what kills me is her attitude as if she is in charge and everyone should please her.

retiredonsofa

retiredonsofa

Video Archivist

Posted May 11, 2010 @ 12:45 PM

And, she seems really mad, like she's doing them a favor. She should realize that if weren't for Brandy (and RayJ), she wouldn't be living in the nice big house.

Easyspreestep

Easyspreestep

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2010 @ 1:26 PM

I know it's not like she or the company has clients banging down the door to get her to manage them.

girlnuyorican

girlnuyorican

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2010 @ 5:23 PM

And, she seems really mad, like she's doing them a favor. She should realize that if weren't for Brandy (and RayJ), she wouldn't be living in the nice big house.

That's true but Brandy also very clearly said that Sonya has delivered for her as her manager in terms of getting her the type of deals, treatment, etc she deserved. That's why she returned to her. It is a 2 way street in that regard. Its highly likely that without Sonya being the beast that she is when it comes to riding for her children that Brandy would've been very undercompensated & ill treated throughout her career. I feel like most times business with family is difficult and relatively speaking they have not done badly in terms of holding it together and remaining a unit when celebrity & fame peaked.

I think that if Sonia was a man, the image would be a strong business-savy father protecting his daughter yet because she's a woman, she gets the "Bitch" label. She has always struck me as someone who doesn't put up with a whole bunch of foolishness & the record industry is nothing but - a lot of those men have an image of women as sexual playthings and Sonia made sure neither she nor her daughter were viewed that way & for that I respect her. On the other hand

I totally agree.

The scene that convinced me is the so called talk that the mom and Ray J had after he showed up late and with sunglasses on for the meeting. He's calling her by her 1st name, is indifferent, arrogant and stupid in that conversation. It has to be fabricated.

Many children call their parents by their first name. Ray is a spoiled mama's boy, to me that's not anything new. I mean in comparison to the Osbournes (for example) Ray J being late with the sunglasses is damn near Leave it to Beaver type disrespect. I think the situations being discussed & put out there are actually very real.

I totally agree. It's obvious to me that Sonja wears the pants in that family. Dad just agrees with whomever he happens to be talking to at the moment to avoid them being mad at him. Don't make waves and keep cashing the paychecks.

Wow. I think there's a place for the man in the family to be the more nurturing one as opposed to everyone playing to stereotype & gender roles. I surely don't believe that Brandy's father is simply after the dough. Imo, that's real harsh and nothing he's done has shown me that. I feel like its a credit to the strength of their family how very close they all actually are - despite the rather typical family issues that plague them.

Edited by girlnuyorican, May 11, 2010 @ 5:25 PM.

swankie

swankie

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2010 @ 11:25 PM

And, she seems really mad, like she's doing them a favor.

I agree. Sonja seems very bitter and joyless all the time. You don't get any warm fuzzies from her the way mothers are supposed to give their kids. She's been around the wolves and snakes in the business too long and it's made her hard and distant if you ask me. She needs to thank the Lord she still has her kids and that they are for the most part normal and not drugged out and washed up. Most of all, she should be thankful and glad she still has her daughter, because look at what Aaliyah's poor mom has gone through. That accident Brandy was in could have just as easily gone the other way and she could have been killed instead of the other woman. Sonja needs to chill and stop being such a hardass and embrace her daughter while she still can.

blubld43

blubld43

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 4:52 AM

Ray J being late with the sunglasses

Did he really say he was wearing the sunglasses because he "wants to set trends"??? Uh, that's been done since Jack Nicholson was a pup, Ray.
And if you want to set trends, it won't work in an office where it's just you and your Mom.

Edited by blubld43, May 12, 2010 @ 4:53 AM.

girlnuyorican

girlnuyorican

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 8:44 AM

She needs to thank the Lord she still has her kids and that they are for the most part normal and not drugged out and washed up.

I imagine some of that has to do with her teachings and the way she raised them. I clearly heard Sonya say that she's going to distance herself some in order to change the dynamic. And also say that she recognizes that Brandy (in particular) resents her a bit for being "a manager" at times when she needed a mom but at the same time wanted her mom to be her manager - as evidenced by the fact that Brandy has returned to Sonya to do the job. I feel like it must have been hard to wear both hats, to leave her husband & son for Brandy's sake, and to give up a huge part of her life in supporting Brandy's cause - only to be resented (and sometimes rightfully so) for doing what was required.

I really like this family and while Sonya has her issues, she reminds me of a lot of very strong women in my family - in fact an awful like my mom. She's very headstrong & struggles with admitting she's wrong but I do see a willingness to listen and I like her relationship with her husband. I really like the dad too, I like his quiet strength and the fact that he isn't too proud to let Sonya run the shit she runs best.

RentEmSpoons

RentEmSpoons

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 10:50 AM

Many children call their parents by their first name. Ray is a spoiled mama's boy, to me that's not anything new.

IIRC, Ray calls his mother Sonja, and Brandy calls her mother.

I wonder if Sonja could be a talent agent for children. I know brandy made some mistakes and whatnot, but she had a very good image coming up as a teen, and the main reasons why people went out of their way to tear her down (Mase, Fredro, etc.) is because of that. Growing up as a young African-American girl when Moesha was on, that was really important for me to see.

girlnuyorican

girlnuyorican

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 12:05 PM

I thought Ray called his mom "ma" in some cases and Sonya in others - like it depends on the situation.

Growing up as a young African-American girl when Moesha was on, that was really important for me to see.

And it wasn't all fake, imo, she was a good girl but she wasn't supposed to be a goody 2 shoes. Atleast that was not the impression I got. She just wasn't overly grown. I think was a lot of external pressure because people placed her on a pedastol especially in an era of Lil Kims. Its very easy to do, even now I feel like Brandy comes across as a sweet roundtheway girl next door type in appearance & demeanor. Even her scandals are rather scandal less. She had a child outside of marriage - it was more scandalous that she lied about being married, imo. She was in an accident on the highway, the 3rd car in a pile up (the deceased's car hit another first before Brandy hit her), she wasn't arrested, didn't have a lick of drugs or alcohol in her system and paid over a mil to the family even though the accident was not her fault criminally or civilly.

Edited by girlnuyorican, May 12, 2010 @ 4:00 PM.

gulitypleas82

gulitypleas82

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 12:30 PM

Yeah, I still see her as a squareish, good girl to this day and up until viewing discussions on this thread, I never really caught on that her life was supposed to be that contradictory to her image, I just saw it as life stuff. She got pregnant out of wedlock (one of my co-workers told me I was a rarity- mid/late 20s and no kids) and she got into an bad car accident (sadly, I’ve totaled two cars but luckily came out without a scratch, as well as, not harming anyone else). So it does kind of seem like she got the “goody two shoes” wrap when she was just a normal girl who wasn't all over the place with hers.

Easyspreestep

Easyspreestep

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 8:53 AM

I thought Ray called him mom "ma" in some cases and Sonya in others - like it depends on the situation.

I had no problem with Ray Calling Sonya by her first name since they were handling business. They were in the office and dealing in a manager client relationship so I had no problem with it.

I think it's great that Ray-J can seperate the two. Something Brandy and Sonya seem unable to do.

I think that if Sonia was a man, the image would be a strong business-savy father protecting his daughter yet because she's a woman, she gets the "Bitch" label. She has always struck me as someone who doesn't put up with a whole bunch of foolishness & the record industry is nothing but - a lot of those men have an image of women as sexual playthings and Sonia made sure neither she nor her daughter were viewed that way & for that I respect her. On the other hand

I disagree from what I have seen on the show, I would never want to work with sonya. It would not matter to me if she was a man or a woman. Sonya is just over the top.