Speculation Without Spoilers

• Please log in to reply

1926 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 31, 2010 @ 2:42 PM

Guess what's going to happen next!

(Note: this thread should be entirely spoiler free. It's okay to have read the episode descriptions, listened to the podcasts, and even have watched the AMC Sneak Peek video thing, but actual spoilers should never be posted here, even if you tag them. Thanks!)

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2010 @ 3:25 PM

I wonder if Walt/Heisenberg is going to come to some kind of an accommodation with the Mexican drug cartel that's trying to kill him.

In the Sneak Peak Episode 303 "I.F.T", we learn that Gus is a "franchisee" of the Mexican drug cartel that sent the cousins after Walt. There's a sitdown between Gus, the Cousins, Tio and an unidentified cartel member from Mexico where the Mr. Unknown apologizes to Gus for not notifying him of the hit in advance since it affects Gus's territory.

I can't say I'm surprised that Gus is working with some drug cartel. I always assumed he was. Otherwise, I don't know how he'd still be alive.

Gus tells Mr Unknown that he doesn't have any problem with them getting rid of Walt, but not yet. Gus still needs him for a short time.

Unless "not yet" = Season 3 (and Season 4 if there is one), I'm not sure how Walt/Heisenberg survives unless there is an accommodation. Killing the cousins (and even Tio) won't do save Walt; they'll just send new killers.

Also, I'm wondering why the cousins aren't after Hank - he's the one who actually killed Tuco.

Edited by Constantinople, Mar 31, 2010 @ 3:26 PM.

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2010 @ 4:02 PM

I'm wondering what "I.F.T." stands for.

I wonder if Walt/Heisenberg is going to come to some kind of an accommodation with the Mexican drug cartel that's trying to kill him.

That seems to be the only way for Walt to stay alive if Gus cuts ties with him. I don't really see Walt becoming a direct player with the cartel, but he can make himself so valuable to Gus--who is already respected by them--that he'll be protected anyway.

Also, I'm wondering why the cousins aren't after Hank - he's the one who actually killed Tuco.

They might have Hank on their radar but it was Walt that Tio knows caused Tuco's death. I guess being blood related trumps all else. Plus, it's really personal for Tio. Walt did shoot Tuco. And didn't he hear Walt and Jesse confess to trying to get Tuco to snort the poisoned meth?

SultanOfSurreal

SultanOfSurreal

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 1, 2010 @ 12:54 AM

Here's a crazy theory I saw on another board...

http://media.amctv.c...Season-1024.jpg

See this wallpaper? It's been used for plenty of promotional spots.

Notice the barrels? Notice the symbol on them? That's the radioactive symbol.

Of course, it could be a simple error. People confuse the radioactive symbol with the biohazard symbol pretty regularly. Or maybe the graphic designers who slapped this image together thought the radioactive symbol looked cooler.

Of course, it could also be an arcane little clue, like the episode titles from season 2 hinting at the plane crash.

Gus values Walter's meth, it's the best on the market, but at the end of the day meth is always going to command a high price, even at middling or low quality. Gus already had a nice livelihood well before Walt showed up. A chemist of Walt's caliber would be FAR more valuable to Gus in helping him fight off other cartels.

What if Gus forces Walt into manufacturing weapons? And not simple guns, either. We're talking high-level chemical agents, mustard gas, dirty bombs, shit to murder a bunch of people all at once with.

Edited by SultanOfSurreal, Apr 1, 2010 @ 1:04 AM.

calliek

calliek

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2010 @ 7:11 AM

Well, where the hell was Gus when Mike called him? It was some sort of large industrial room...were cars being worked on? Why was he there? It could be a coverup business for the weapons theory.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2010 @ 10:06 AM

Well, where the hell was Gus when Mike called him?

I'm guessing it was some kind of chicken farm and/or chicken processing plant since that's where the sitdown takes place in Episode 3's sneak peak.

Not sure if there's any significance that when Gus texts "POLLOS" to Walt, it refers to a specific Pollos restuarant, but when he texts "POLLOS" to the cousins, it refers to the chicken farm/plant.

By the way, why does Gus need a chicken plant? Does he own the entire Pollos chain? If he were a franchisee, I presume the Pollos franchisor would supply him with the chicken.

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2010 @ 11:05 AM

Why Gus would need a chicken plant for his restaurants, I don't know.

For other purposes, a chicken processing plant is a messy, chaotic place where you could conceal illegal activity and shipments.

Xbones

Xbones

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2010 @ 6:01 PM

good stuff in the preview, this is going to get very interesting.............

I agree the chicken plant would be a good place to conceal illegal drugs.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2010 @ 10:00 AM

What do we think are the chances that Jesse can make the high-quality stuff without Walt? I mostly ask because I feel conflicted as to whether I want him to be able to. One, I don't want him to be doing it at all. Two, I want him to be working with Walt again. Three, if Jesse's product is acceptable to Gus, that speeds along Walt's impending death. But, four, if he's actually learned enough about chemistry from working with Walt to make the good blue stuff? I will be kind of touched. My heart will be warmed. That is so fucked up.

iggypop123

iggypop123

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 5, 2010 @ 10:52 AM

What do we think are the chances that Jesse can make the high-quality stuff without Walt? I mostly ask because I feel conflicted as to whether I want him to be able to. One, I don't want him to be doing it at all. Two, I want him to be working with Walt again. Three, if Jesse's product is acceptable to Gus, that speeds along Walt's impending death. But, four, if he's actually learned enough about chemistry from working with Walt to make the good blue stuff? I will be kind of touched. My heart will be warmed. That is so fucked up.

i doubt he can just on the basis that walt is dead, and should be dead immediately if he is out of the game. no way can saul and others get in the way of the cartel.

Medi

Medi

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 5, 2010 @ 6:23 PM

Now that Gus knows what's going on with The Cousins, and has laid eyes on them, I speculate that he will have them killed (and Tio) before they can kill Walter White. Gus will make it so the blame will be far from him and untraceable. Possibly the blame will be on law enforcement. Afterall, the beef The Cousins have with Walt is because of Tuco. It's just family revenge.
Walt is too valuable to Gus for him to just give up the best meth maker ever. And money talks.

Edited by Medi, Apr 5, 2010 @ 6:28 PM.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Vinny Vidi Vici

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2010 @ 9:13 PM

See this wallpaper? It's been used for plenty of promotional spots.

Notice the barrels? Notice the symbol on them? That's the radioactive symbol.

Oooooh. That's pretty apocalyptic looking. Who knows where this will go? Heisenberg (the real guy) was one of the fathers of atomic and nuclear studies. Vince Gilligan does seem to be a fan of both coincidence and irony (Walter White the real air traffic controller who caused a midair collision??).

Edited by Vinny Vidi Vici, Apr 6, 2010 @ 2:29 PM.

Phrosty

Phrosty

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2010 @ 9:55 PM

I've been wondering how Walter goes on, after the plane crash. Perhaps he feels he is doomed, and just wants his family to have the money. Wants to see them to a place where they are ok rather than seeing himself as ever being really happy again. He is typically blinkered to the chaos he has caused around him with sights set firmly in his goal...

Skyler, may be fucked over or let down by Ted, when whatever fraud he is committing comes to light. It might turn into an odd situation whereby she has done far less than Walt, but looks much worse because she is discovered and wears the blame...It would be weird if Skyler was arrested but an interesting scenario.

She is in this situation now where she is protecting both men in her life and on the one hand she is doing something illegal specifically in order that she does not have to rely on Walt, because of the illegal things he has done (albeit these things being of a much more serious nature.)

I need to add that I have never been good at second guessing this show it's never predictable and I find it continually surprising.

Edited by Phrosty, Apr 6, 2010 @ 10:04 PM.

birdythurs

birdythurs

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2010 @ 9:06 AM

For what it's worth, Vinny Vidi Vici, Gilligan and the writers said after Season 2 that they did not know about the real life Walter White air traffic controller--it was a Twilight Zone coincidence for them.

I braced myself for this during Gus and the cartel's meeting in "I.F.T," but I wonder if Gus is going to offer up Walter's family to the cartel. They get to inflict revenge and make Walt suffer, but Gus still has him alive (for the time) and, even better, no pesky family to make Walt hesitate or withdraw. I get the hunch Gus is cold enough to make that happen--although you hope and pray they spare Baby Holly. Maybe Softy-Grandpa Mike will put her in the same foster care with Little Spooge at the end of the series, I dunno.

RangerGirl

RangerGirl

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 7, 2010 @ 5:21 PM

(I'm fairly sure that photos which are available on the AMC website don't constitute spoilers, so am posting this here - apologies if I'm wrong!)

I've been looking at this season's studio photos, and wondering if they might provide some clues about where the storyline is heading. There are shots of Walt and Jesse in an underground parking garage, as well as one of Jesse in his car with what looks like Walt's bag full of money. There's also a shot of them both walking down the middle of a freeway with the bag o' cash. Since these shots tend to relate to specific scenes on the show, I'm speculating that Walt and Jesse will be going on the run together at some point (likely trying to escape the Cartel?) Which would be awesome. Could be totally off base, but it seems like a plausible way for the two of them to share screen time again.

calliek

calliek

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2010 @ 7:59 PM

I have no basis for saying this, but I get the feeling we're going to lose a major character pretty soon.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2010 @ 10:32 PM

Wouldn't it be tragic if staying in ABQ to go after Heisenberg instead of going to El Paso ends up getting Hank killed? I don't know they could possibly slow down his investigation at this point; he might not have Walt yet, but he certainly has Jesse. I think they may have to kill him just to keep the show going.

Also, my predictions for Walt's new gig: he's going to get an assistant who's Jesse's total opposite, and it's eventually going to make him miss his stupid, unreliable protege.

calliek

calliek

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2010 @ 6:27 AM

I don't get why Walt and Jesse are together in the RV in the previews. Maybe Walt shows up to get his things so Jesse can't cook?

pomme de divan

pomme de divan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2010 @ 10:10 AM

Now that Gus knows what's going on with The Cousins, and has laid eyes on them, I speculate that he will have them killed (and Tio) before they can kill Walter White. Gus will make it so the blame will be far from him and untraceable. Possibly the blame will be on law enforcement. Afterall, the beef The Cousins have with Walt is because of Tuco. It's just family revenge.
Walt is too valuable to Gus for him to just give up the best meth maker ever. And money talks.

I'm not sure that Gus would want to have the Cousins and Tio killed since that would put him in dutch with the Mexican cartels. Walt has a secret recipe-all Gus has to do is learn what the recipe is-from there he can have his own people produce it following Walt's formula.

I braced myself for this during Gus and the cartel's meeting in "I.F.T," but I wonder if Gus is going to offer up Walter's family to the cartel. They get to inflict revenge and make Walt suffer, but Gus still has him alive (for the time) and, even better, no pesky family to make Walt hesitate or withdraw

Eek-a great, but disturbing theory. ITA that we are going to lose a major character this season.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 12:31 PM

Not sure, but from the previews, it looks as if the Cousins might run into some trouble with American law enforcement. Even if true, the Mexican cartel will still keep coming after Walt.

But if they think Walt's dead, there's no need. Still, I doubt that Gus would do that (but I imagine he could lay his hands on a body).

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2010 @ 7:03 PM

With Jesse skimming meth off the top and distributing it around town, he's either going to wind up dead, in jail or on the run. It won't take much for Gus to find out and cause one of those scenarios. Chances are there will be quite a cliffhanger.

Phrosty

Phrosty

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 1:44 AM

I can see Walt or rather Heisenberg taking on Gus. If he succeeds then it looks like Walt is going to be the kingpin next season? Either that or he will be on the run.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 8:22 AM

Phrosty, those really do seem like the only two options, but the writers will probably surprise me. I wouldn't mind seeing Walt and Jesse on the run together, but that seems like it would stray too far from the premise and a lot of the stories that have been set up this season.

My question is, how is Jesse going to react to what Walt did? When he gets a chance to process it, that is. Will he take it as evidence of how much Walt cares about him, and if so, how will that change things between them?

bundren

bundren

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 12:12 PM

I agree with both of you that either of those are options. however, I slightly hope for the latter, as I really dig the evil out of the character of Gus and would be invested in seeing more of him. I think the promo pictures released much earlier this year had shots of Jesse/Walt looking like they were on the run, which hadn't made sense at all until this last episode. maybe that is how it will culminate? it'd be interesting to see Walt/Heisenberg somehow take over as kingpin and all, but I really see that as a major stretch on the part of the writers. Heisenberg might not be bullshit but he is no Gus. I mean, Gus is running an industry. I'm not sure our volatile reality behind the Heisenberg persona--Walt--capable of running that industry with the stoicism and malice of Gus. I enjoy Gus's character on the level where I understand he is terrifying and that is fascinating to watch, but I don't find any emotional connect with him. Indeed, there'd be no humanity left to root for with Walt...he's so far gone this season that I feel like the writers need to turn in the opposite direction in order for the audience to feel like an investment in Walt as a "good" person is possible...

which leads me to: I am worried for walt jr. moreso than jesse. I am not really sure why, and it's hard to articulate. he's evolved as a character--obviously we have moved on from flynn--but he's also the only character to not break bad, so to speak. that purity is stark in the world of BB. and they've been doing some set ups with the whole car thing; the driving test wherein he will now have to use skylar's car which he has admitted to difficulty driving, his incorrect and potentially dangerous driving method, and absolutely that shot of skylar and walt at the beginning of the last episode, standing in front of their cars dressed like omens of death. I don't know but it worries me. speculating.

blue monkey

blue monkey

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 1:42 PM

I can imagine Walt Jr. taking out dad's Aztek without asking, and being the victim of violence which was intended for his father.

bundren

bundren

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 1:49 PM

I can imagine Walt Jr. taking out dad's Aztek without asking, and being the victim of violence which was intended for his father.

that would be something, but considering Walt just mowed down two men with it, I don't think it's going to be in driving condition for a while

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 9:54 AM

and they've been doing some set ups with the whole car thing; the driving test wherein he will now have to use skylar's car which he has admitted to difficulty driving, his incorrect and potentially dangerous driving method, and absolutely that shot of skylar and walt at the beginning of the last episode, standing in front of their cars dressed like omens of death. I don't know but it worries me. speculating.

With all the foreshadowing (to me anyway) of a major tragedy involving Jr., I was expecting something to happen last week. I'm so glad I was wrong. But there's one more episode, and the mention of driving with both feet in mom's brake-needing car seems too obvious too ignore. I do hope I'm wrong. Again.

Also, my predictions for Walt's new gig: he's going to get an assistant who's Jesse's total opposite, and it's eventually going to make him miss his stupid, unreliable protege.

Good predicting there, ReadIshmael.

calliek

calliek

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2010 @ 4:29 PM

I still think Walt, Jr. will announce he wants to be DEA when he grows up.

Edited by calliek, Jun 10, 2010 @ 4:29 PM.

bbob

bbob

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2010 @ 2:29 AM

that would be something, but considering Walt just mowed down two men with it, I don't think it's going to be in driving condition for a while

Which leads to either Walt, Jr. using Skyler's car for his driving test (and he's already talked about the brakes on the vehicle), or trying to use Walt's Aztek the next day. The Aztek may be driveable the next day, but I would hope that any officer of the law would look at the Aztek and impound it. At the very least, it has a cracked windshield, if not significant front-end damage, due to Walt's actions the night before. If the Aztek hasn't been visited by Mike and cleaned up, at the very least, it has significant damage to the windshield and the front-end that would make it ineligible for a driving test. Will Walt get a rental? Will he simply not show up for Jr.'s driving test, as he promised he would? Or will Jr. have to take the test in Skyler's car, which he has already said he doesn't feel comfortable driving? I think Walt, Jr. is going to flunk his first attempt on the driving test due to to no fault of his own. And, what if he does pass, and is driving the Aztek around ABQ? Will he be mistaken for Walt, Sr.? And everything that that may imply?

artsygal

artsygal

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 14, 2010 @ 10:26 AM

I promised I'd bring the discussion over here since it's raw speculation, but I'm wondering about the link between Walt and Sandia Labs. Any thoughts on why he might have left? Was he fired (I don't think so)? Did he quit over ethical considerations (which would be ironic)? How did he end up being a high school chem teacher? I don't think this has been discussed in the show, but if it has, please enlighten me.

I'm also wondering how Poor Gale ended up mixed up in all this. Since Gus hates junkies, I don't see him hiring a former addict, so I don't think that's it. But perhaps that Sandia Labs connection again? There has to be a reason the show opened with introducing that factoid. Given that they do hand a lot of classified out there -- and supposedly Gus Fring is a former intelligence officer of some sort -- is it possible that there's some connection here? I'm not talking big gov't conspiracy, just a connection (i.e. Gus has access to files on these guys so he can pick and choose his team).

Thoughts?

Edited by artsygal, Jun 14, 2010 @ 10:27 AM.