3-2: "Caballo Sin Nombre" 2010.03.28 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

169 replies to this topic

Medi

Medi

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 28, 2010 @ 10:37 PM

What a waste of perfectly good Venezia's pizza. (Hee!)

Did anybody wonder if the Cousins would mistake ''The Cleaner'' (Mike, is it?) for Walt and kill him by mistake while he was at the house? I know they supposedly know what Walt looks like, but there's a pretty obvious resemblance there. It crossed my mind for a second.

I thought that too LethalCandy.

iggypop123

am i the only one dissapointed? what a bunch of crap, the previews look deceiving. last weeks had explosions and stuff. this week none of it on the episode. come on AMC!

Last week's external explosions of fire were replaced by Walt's going over the edge at every turn.

Isn't a home considered marital property, accessible by both parties, until the divorce is finalizes things? If so, Skyler had no right to change the locks on Walt like that.

Edited by Medi, Mar 28, 2010 @ 10:45 PM.

SultanOfSurreal

SultanOfSurreal

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 28, 2010 @ 10:39 PM

Where did they get takeout from if Hank's eating something that requires ketchup and Marie's eating sushi?!

Maybe they keep ketchup around the house and Hank douses everything in sushi. Or maybe I should watch the scene again.

It was a subtle bit of characterization. "Take-out" tends to refer to Chinese. Hank is the kind of guy who would have ketchup on Chinese food.

Did anybody wonder if the Cousins would mistake ''The Cleaner'' (Mike, is it?) for Walt and kill him by mistake while he was at the house?

To be perfectly honest, that never crossed my mind. I simply thought that he was going to run in and shoot them; the episode was going to end with him scowling at Walt.

I thought he'd kill them too, and the next ep would be him and Walt trying to clean up before his family got back, a la Pulp Fiction.

LethalCandy

LethalCandy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2010 @ 10:39 PM

I did think about that at first too, Ankai. I must be really annoying to watch this show with - constantly yelling out "OMG, is he gonna do this?? Is that gonna happen?" I should just stop trying to guess, I am ALWAYS surprised with this show.

SultanofSurreal, it's really funny you mention Pulp Fiction, because I have always referred to Mike as "The Wolf" - he reminds me exactly of Harvey Keitel's character in that movie! Hah.

Edited by LethalCandy, Mar 28, 2010 @ 10:41 PM.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2010 @ 10:43 PM

I did think about that at first too, Ankai. I must be really annoying to watch this show with - constantly yelling out "OMG, is he gonna do this?? Is that gonna happen?" I should just stop trying to guess, I am ALWAYS surprised with this show.

That is probably why I was so upset about the second season's finale. If it was just told in chronological order and without all foreshadowing, I would have maybe did a bit of eyebrow raising, some chuckling, and then maybe wonder what would become of all of that. Now I guess that it has happened, I can move on. Maybe I should also stop trying to predict what will happen.

Morganza

Morganza

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 28, 2010 @ 10:45 PM

Hank is the kind of guy who would have ketchup on Chinese food.

I just threw up in my mouth. You're probably right. I do remember Marie's obsession with Chinese food:-)

One of my fav lines (though I swear I'm not this food-obsessed): "I got dipping sticks!"

Kris

Kris

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 28, 2010 @ 10:49 PM

LethalCandy:

SultanofSurreal, it's really funny you mention Pulp Fiction, because I have always referred to Mike as "The Wolf" - he reminds me exactly of Harvey Keitel's character in that movie! Hah.

Mr. Kris and I were calling him "The Wolf" too. lol

Frankly I was surprised that the Twins located Walt so quickly. I thought they'd drag that plotline out during the season. But now they know who he is, where he lives, but were called away by Gus - this is going to be even more interesting than I originally thought.

SultanOfSurreal

SultanOfSurreal

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 28, 2010 @ 10:53 PM

Just posting again to mention the pizza roof thing. I really hope it stays all season. That's what I thought would happen as soon as it went up. I figured no one would notice it, and then every time we see a scene at the White residence, we'd see a shot of it. All slowly deteriorating as Walt's life deteriorates in turn...

LethalCandy

LethalCandy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2010 @ 10:57 PM

I wonder if there was any particular reason to show Walt fishing the Band-Aid out of the pool, with the exact same camera shot as all those flashbacks from season 2 of people cleaning the toy out? Did anyone else find that interesting, or do I just read too far into things? Just curious what the purpose of that whole scene was.

SultanOfSurreal

SultanOfSurreal

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 28, 2010 @ 10:58 PM

I wonder if there was any particular reason to show Walt fishing the Band-Aid out of the pool, with the exact same camera shot as all those flashbacks from season 2 of people cleaning the toy out? Did anyone else find that interesting, or do I just read too far into things? Just curious what the purpose of that whole scene was.

I think it was just to underscore both how on-edge Walt is and how banal his life has become without his family -- and more importantly, without cooking. Sort of like his obsession with the water heater last season when he tried to quit cooking.

Edited by SultanOfSurreal, Mar 28, 2010 @ 10:59 PM.

lurk3000

lurk3000

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2010 @ 11:04 PM

Damn. That ending was a nail biter.
Good to see Jesse back in the old digs. Loved the look of the parents when Jesse showed them the keys.
Nice to see local NM business represented. Baillos (delivering truck in front of Jesse's new home) and Blakes Lotaburger for the dinner scene (minus Marie)

Scat

Scat

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2010 @ 11:20 PM

Also, this show has reached shaved-head critical mass.

Haha, definitely.

Is it just me or are the previews in Canada just completely missing? It says "preview coming up in one minute" and then it never comes. Where can I find them?

Green Bean

Green Bean

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 28, 2010 @ 11:24 PM

I loved that the cousins found Walt so soon. I expected them to be seeking him the whole season, and I was bored with that already. We've seen stuff like that a thousand times. But not this time.

It's amazing how this show keeps taking Hollywood cliches and just turning them on their head.

Just posting again to mention the pizza roof thing. I really hope it stays all season. That's what I thought would happen as soon as it went up. I figured no one would notice it, and then every time we see a scene at the White residence, we'd see a shot of it. All slowly deteriorating as Walt's life deteriorates in turn...

Walter Jr. better watch out....or he's going to get the CHEESE TOUCH!!!

(Diary of a Wimpy Kid reference, for the uninitiated)

Maka

Maka

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2010 @ 11:51 PM

I liked this episode pretty well. I was really disappointed the Twins got called away before Walt could at least be terrified a little though. It may be mean, but I was looking forward to Walt's reaction at seeing those two on his bed, with an ax. An AX!! That was the first time I actually found them scary. Especially when they pointed out the baby picture on the fridge.

Presumably what the cartel men DIDN'T know is that Walt is now working with Gus. Killing him could therefore potentially start a full-out war.

I think you're probably right. I thought maybe the cartel guys were completely separate from Gus and his business - which left me curious about why Gus has been allowed to run a multi-million dollar drug business without retribution - but it looks like Gus does have some sort of regular business relationship with them after all. He knows their phone number, they know the code to go see him ASAP and most interestingly, they go when he calls.

What I'm trying to wrap my mind around is how they all relate to each other. Tuco was a distributor, Tuco's Uncle knows the twins - so I wonder if Tuco was their distributor too? Gus is also a distributor, just on a much higher level, right? So is Gus even more powerful than this particular cartel? And if yes, just how fucking scary IS Gus, really?

All the talk about the pizza is funny, but my favorite part was the morning after - Walt waking up in his tightie whities, food and booze everywhere, popcorn stuck to his face. I'd never peg him as a binge eater! I laughed through that entire scene.

Saul is great........wonder who came up with the idea to buy the house for half price? I mean obvioulsy Jesse wanted the house, but I doubt he knew rules about disclosure in selling real estate. ANd yes, he spent every penny it seems on that house.

Yeah, I bet Saul came up with the way to use that info against Jesse's parents. And I'll admit, I was meanly happy at watching Jesse's parents get screwed out of that house. If it were up to me, (and this weren't a TV show where drama has to happen), I'd have Jesse find a real job, live in his house happily, and never see Walter again. But since we know that won't happen, at least he got his house back.

shockey80te

shockey80te

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2010 @ 11:54 PM

I was thinking the EXACT same thing about how many shots it took to get that pizza up there. And that was one big a** pizza.

It reminded me of an ep of Scrubs with a massive pizza that had to be turned sideways to get through doorways. Walt throwing the pizza on the roof was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

I'm totally calling him The Wolf... I don't care what his name is. BTW, I expected The Wolf to go in the house and take the twins out. I guess we figured out that he's "the friend of a friend" that Saul referred to.

Speaking of Saul, I LOVED him in this ep. His "pep talk" for Walt was hilarious. Because he's underestimated as an ambulance chaser, I loved watching him kick ass in the meeting with Jesse's parents. I wonder if he's pushing the guys to make more meth because of the money he's getting out of the deal/partnership or because he's feeling some pressure from Gus?

I can't stand Skylar, but Walt is an impossible person to deal with. He struggles to express himself with any of his family members. Plus, he's delusional too. Why did she cover up/act strangely with Ted... was he looking at her boobs? I'm not going to lie, I was.

I just said I can't stand Skylar, but I really cannot stand Walt. The man is just crazy at this point. Did he honestly believe that Skylar would be interested in a (three) family-sized pizza and his splash of Hai Karate? Dude... forget the band-aid in the pool. (How the hell did he even see that thing anyway?) His response to the restraining order threat was to break into the house by any means necessary? That's (not) very well thought out.

"I GOT YOUR RESTRAINING ORDER RIGHT HERE!" is one of the funniest lines/visuals in television history.

We have no clue how much sh*t Jesse's parents have been through with him, but it's sad that it came to that. Even so, I was still happy Jesse ended up on top with the house he loves.

Edited by shockey80te, Mar 28, 2010 @ 11:56 PM.

Standoffish

Standoffish

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 12:05 AM

Scat

Is it just me or are the previews in Canada just completely missing? It says "preview coming up in one minute" and then it never comes. Where can I find them?

The AMC site has a sneak preview. A warning, though: it's about a five minute clip and is a little spoilery.

Al Funcoot

Al Funcoot

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 12:07 AM

Where did they get takeout from if Hank's eating something that requires ketchup and Marie's eating sushi?!

It had to have been take out from different places. The cups were from Blake's Lottaburger, a NM burger chain with a basic menu. So, I figured that everyone decided on burgers and Marie insisted she had to have sushi, which seems very like her.

That said, I hadn't heard of Veneizia's Pizza until now. As a Dion's fan, I was momentarily annoyed the pizza wasn't from there... is it too soon to start talking about a Breaking Bad tour? This show does such a good job using the area.

iggypop123

iggypop123

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 12:24 AM

The AMC site has a sneak preview. A warning, though: it's about a five minute clip and is a little spoilery.

its usually the first 5 min of the show so its not so bad.

LethalCandy

LethalCandy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 12:29 AM

Re: Getting the pizza on the roof... I just listened to the podcast, and they said that Bryan Cranston did that perfectly in the very first take, and when they tried to film it again, it just didn't happen. That makes it even funnier to me that he was able to actually throw it up there so easily.

RickInfinity

RickInfinity

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 12:32 AM

About the pizza, on Alan Sepinwall's blog, he quotes Vince Gilligan

Link

Our special effects expert did indeed work up some mechanism for getting the pizza out of the box and onto the roof, using fishline or somesuch. However, to the best of my knowledge, his rig was never used. What you see in the finished episode is take one, in which Bryan basically just did a Hail Mary toss and got it up there in one try!

I'm very happy the Cousins already found Walt. I was afraid they were going to drag it out all season. This is much more interesting.

I'm going to have nightmares about that damn bell.

iggypop123

iggypop123

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 12:40 AM

to those that have seen the wire is gustavo aka "gus" almost like a brother Mouzone? seems like it
i also gotta add that sneak peek looks amazing. maybe it can make up for this episode. the story is advancing faster than i expected, however the episodes themselves have been slow. hopefully #3 gets it going

Edited by iggypop123, Mar 29, 2010 @ 12:45 AM.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Vinny Vidi Vici

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 2:01 AM

If it weren't for the bad things raining from the sky and all the meth heads stumbling about, it might be worth moving to a town where the pizza's were the size of card table tops. I did notice it wasn't cut though. I guess it wouldn't have stayed in one piece in it's short flight.

I really liked the episode. I too thought that the cousins were going to mistake Mr. Wolf for Heisenberg. But then I thought that Mr. Wolf was going to kill the cousins, and Heisenberg would get credit for it, inflating Walt's rep even further. The end was creepy but it did not have me on the edge of my seat, because I knew that Walt has to live for at least a few more episodes.

Yay for Jesse getting his house back. I'm looking forward to the 'old' meth lab becoming the 'new' meth lab.

Saul is awesome. A criminal lawyer, indeed.

Edited by Vinny Vidi Vici, Mar 29, 2010 @ 2:03 AM.

ChiliHot

ChiliHot

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 2:07 AM

I liked this episode pretty well. I was really disappointed the Twins got called away before Walt could at least be terrified a little though.

I'm not sure they're twins. I'm pretty sure that at Paleyfest Vince Gilligan made an older/younger brother reference when he was talking about them. I could be wrong, though.

Bryan Cranston also mentioned that they are reformed gang members. One of them has been acting for a while and it's the first time for the other one. He said they have to use heavy make-up on the eye lids on one of them because he had "Fuck You" tattooed on them. He asked if it hurt getting the tattoos and he told him the tattoo didn't hurt, but the spoon they had to put underneath his eyelid to do it hurt.

AWESOME episode!!! I don't see things ending well for Jesse. I feel so bad for him.

Edited because proper grammar is important.

Edited by ChiliHot, Mar 29, 2010 @ 2:19 AM.

Egeria

Egeria

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 2:39 AM

I can't stand Skylar, but Walt is an impossible person to deal with. He struggles to express himself with any of his family members. Plus, he's delusional too. Why did she cover up/act strangely with Ted... was he looking at her boobs? I'm not going to lie, I was.

I just said I can't stand Skylar, but I really cannot stand Walt. The man is just crazy at this point.Did he honestly believe that Skylar would be interested in a (three) family-sized pizza and his splash of Hai Karate? Dude... forget the band-aid in the pool. (How the hell did he even see that thing anyway?) His response to the restraining order threat was to break into the house by any means necessary? That's (not) very well thought out.

I'd love to know what is going on with his little rage episodes. I really want to hear what the producers have to say about Walt's motivations in these scenes. That police officer gave him several warnings and Walt just kept raging like a lunatic. Never mind that he has enough money to pay the ticket 1,000 times over and to get his windshield fixed. He had to know that you can't just drive around like that. And why did he have a fit instead of just paying the ticket? Is it his ego run wild or what. He pretty much did the same thing when Sky rejected him. Did he really think it was going to be that easy to get back with her?

Edited by Egeria, Mar 29, 2010 @ 2:41 AM.

Floridabound

Floridabound

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 5:43 AM

using his own meth lab against them, but as it is, I just thought it was awesome.

I agree. I haven't seen the show from the beginning, but Jesse's family must have been one bad dysfunctional mess. To get even like that is sublime.

The cheese sliding brought me out of the show -- birds should have been eating that pizza. Heck, even seagulls would have found that one.

How did the cousins get in the front door so easily when Walt couldn't?

Walt, go back to cooking, you're a bore. You can do it in Jesse's basement now.

Manslick

Manslick

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 6:17 AM

There was a quick shot of Walt running out to the car. Left the door open we suppose.

Pizza yet more wreckage, of an exploding marriage.

SultanOfSurreal

SultanOfSurreal

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 6:26 AM

Walt left his bags outside when he crawled underneath the house to get in. Once he was inside, he unlocked the front door and grabbed them. He must have left the door unlocked.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 7:03 AM

Why didn't Walt tell Skylar who I hate too, that he did it all for the family because he was dying and had nothing to leave them?

You would think that would be obvious that's why he did it, but it again shows how much she doesn't respect him, I think. Also, I don't think it has anything to do with being scared of what would happen to Walt Jr. if he were with Walt. It's all about control with her.

So we know it's been about a month since there was any blue meth on the street.

The creepiest part about the ending is the eye watching Walt. He knows someone was there and that someone is watching him.

While Jesse's parents are jerks, you certainly can't blame them, but it was wonderful to see them stunned when he showed them the keys and walked in the door.

RE: the car window. I think he hasn't fixed it so he could be reminded of the crash, and needed to vent to someone even though it was a cop and got sprayed with pepper spray.

Egeria

Egeria

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 7:12 AM

to those that have seen the wire is gustavo aka "gus" almost like a brother Mouzone?

Hmmm, I don't think so. Brother Mouzone seemed like he was just the ultimate enforcer/muscle. I think Gus is much more deeply involved than that.

I agree. I haven't seen the show from the beginning, but Jesse's family must have been one bad dysfunctional mess.

Why would they have to be? People from functional families can become addicts. From what we've seen of Jessie's family, I might even say they are too functional. By which I mean they seemed to have been able to cut bait before he managed to take them all down with him. A lot of parents can't do that and it does seem kind of cold in a way. However, like someone else said, we don't know how many times Jessie has screwed them over. He's around 28, which at least suggest a long history of drug use, especially when you consider he was manufacturing when Walt came across him.

On the other hand, his mother did seemed hopeful when he went back to them in season 1 (or was it two), but I think they were afraid for their younger son. Little did they know he was already following in Jessie's footsteps. I guess we could find out down the line that his parents are monsters, but I don't think so. His mother seemed ready to call a lawyer for him when Hank came a calling during the whole Tuco kidnapping.

calliek

calliek

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 7:24 AM

How funny is it that Walt actually packed the eye?

Egeria

Egeria

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 7:26 AM

You would think that would be obvious that's why he did it, but it again shows how much she doesn't respect him, I think. Also, I don't think it has anything to do with being scared of what would happen to Walt Jr. if he were with Walt. It's all about control with her.

That wasn't his reason, it was his excuse. No matter how little he liked taking charity, it was a legitimate option and obviously a much better one than manufacturing meth. Letting Skylar manage on her own was another option. Lots of women are single mothers. They make it work.

Why should she respect a drug dealer? She shouldn't. And I do think she's afraid for Walt Jr. Maybe not afraid that cartel hit men are going to take him out, after all she doesn't know how deep in Walt is and the extent to which he's compromised the safety of everyone around him. He's still hiding the extent of his "manufacturing" from her or I think she'd be more afraid for the physical safety of her children. At this point, I'm guessing she's just afraid of Walt Jr. being influenced by having a drug dealer for a father, which is a pretty legitimate fear as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Egeria, Mar 29, 2010 @ 7:27 AM.