Adventure Time with Finn & Jake: What Time Is It?

• Please log in to reply

358 replies to this topic

lrdmordain

lrdmordain

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 11:35 PM

After watching the episode a second (alright really the fifth) I noticed two things I never saw the first time that sort of tie together.

1. When Marceline is trying to get Ice King to remember writing on the back of the picture, and when she is singing after that, she is actually crying, we see actual tears from her. I think it's because she can't seem to find any Simon left in the Ice King and it scares her or devastates her or the like.

2. Upon really listening to what Simon wrote, it seems like once again the crown made him say something that he has no memory of, but it clearly caused him and Marceline to have a huge fight and separate. The message on the photo is his attempt to try and explain to her what happened, even though he can't find her to give the message to her. Maybe that's why as Ice King he keeps finding her no matter where she lives, because even as he lost himself fully to the crown's magic he did so wanting to see her and say he was sorry for whatever it was he did, one last act of humanity before he lost it all.

Man I just made myself sad again.

Edited by lrdmordain, Oct 16, 2012 @ 11:37 PM.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

They really are turning the Ice King into an epically tragic figure, aren't they?

Wow. I totally did not expect that.

Hourlong

Hourlong

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 11:54 PM

Spoilers for the latest episode ("The Lich")...

What the JUNK?!

Weird scary dream sequence! "I suck hamburgers"! Lumpy Space Princess has a gem but it's really deep and then the Enchiridion doesn't use it and then Booko with the multiverse and then Bubblegum and her weird tiny happy experiments and she hits Finn with the scissors and she says, "That was an accident," and it's filled with agony and then holy crap and then holy crap again and then they try to stop it and then HE'S GOT A FLUTE AND A ROBOT ARRRRRMMMMM!

I mean... FLIP! WHAT THE ZIP?!

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 3:27 AM

Oh. My. Glub! Does this mean this all was a child's daydream?

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 6:21 PM

Yeah, chalk me up with everyone else saying "what the glob did I just watch?" Hopefully, the season 5 premiere (Nov. 12th!) will explain everything.

Really loved that LSP's gem wasn't actually needed, it just fell to the ground when all the other gems were added to the book.

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 7:54 PM

The alternate universe Finn was shown in a previous episode. If you watch the episode where the Worm King keeps our heroes trapped in a dream, Finn stands in front of a mirror and sees his other self in the reflection. Crazy foreshadowing!

My favorite part was the blowout between Bubblegum and Finn. It has been building all season, and after Bubblegum cut Finn with her scissors you could see so much resentment in his eyes that never was there before. He's felt strung-along by her for seasons, and now that he has finally found somebody else he's been able to see faults in her that he never noticed before. It must have hurt just as much to know that she couldn't just trust him as it did when she cut him. She was right to try to keep him away from the jewel, but neither was willing to just stop what they were doing and explain what was going on. Kind of sad to see them get to that place. Amazing that this cartoon is able to take previously light characters there as well.

I'm wondering about the rest of the crowns. Ice King's crown is the only one we've seen that seems to bestow any powers on the wearer, but maybe the gems aren't the evil presence inside it. Really hope they explore the gems more in season 5.

cromulent357

cromulent357

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 2:14 PM

BGP cutting the arms and legs off those little candy people might be the most disturbing thing I've seen on this show.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 6:52 PM

The alternate universe Finn was shown in a previous episode. If you watch the episode where the Worm King keeps our heroes trapped in a dream, Finn stands in front of a mirror and sees his other self in the reflection. Crazy foreshadowing!

Watching the commercials for today's new ep makes me wonder if the final scene is a result of either The Lich or Finn's wish.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

This episode was great. It answered a few questions, and raised a couple of new ones.

Like...what happened to The Lich in the end? Is he stuck with Prismo forever? Does he go back to Ooo with Finn & Jake, because he has to be sent to his wish world? Either way, Jake's wish ensured that even if The Lich found his way back to Prismo, he couldn't make another wish because he was forced to waste his only one.

I absolutely love alternate timelines. So if the bomb that started The Great Mushroom War didn't detonate, Simon would've died, Marceline would've aged 1000 years (presumably the crown's magic kept her alive and/or she didn't keep her youth by becoming a vampire. ETA: Okay, Marceline was able to survive for so long due to being half-demon, but she wasn't a vampire and therefore not immortal), and Normal!Finn would've become the new Ice King, and Jake would've become The Lich. I also would've liked to have seen normal versions of other characters. We saw Choose Goose, and he was pretty creepy as a human.

We also have Finn's last name: Mertens. At least in that timeline.

Edited by InvaderNorbert, Nov 12, 2012 @ 8:38 PM.

Matt K

Matt K

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

I loved it as well. I assumed that Marcy aged like she did due to never leaving that cave and not feeding.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

I guess I was right about Finn's wish.

I'm not sure why Marceline was an old hag, but didn't Simon say something about not being able to use his magic to sustain her?

Gulielma

Gulielma

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

I liked Prismo's heavyhanded hints to Jake that he might want to help Finn. And telling Jake that the way he grants wishes has a "monkey's paw" aspect to them.

Edited by Gulielma, Nov 13, 2012 @ 11:29 AM.

Matt K

Matt K

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

The part I found funny was that Prismo mentioned the whole Monkey Paw thing and I was wondering what he did to screw over the Lich and lo and behold I got my answer shortly there after.

InternalParadox

InternalParadox

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 6:32 PM

Heaven help me, I'm obsessed with another awesome animated show!

Post-apocalyptic wonderland with wackiness and deep characterization in equal measure? Filled with a mysterious history and continuity? And equally appealing to all ages while getting all kinds of stuff past the censors? This show is all kinds of incredible, isn't it?

First I want to talk about "Lady & Peebles" which I watched like 5x recently (when I found subtitles for Lady Rainicorn's dialogue, I had to watch it again!). Creepy, creepy, creepy stuff, with spincters, grabby hands, laser eyes and Ricardio's freakish "body." I love my badass chicks, and both Princess Bubblegum and Lady Rainicorn kicked ass in this ep. It's great that the *princess* gets to save the heroes for once, in any story! (Yes, I know that it's happening in more stories lately, but it's still a joy to watch).

Then Lady Rainicorn reveals that she's pregnant at the end of the episode, which makes Ricardio tying her into a knot the most disturbing part of the ep for me.

It also makes me wonder if Standards and Practices or the Powers that be or whoever decides what's "appropriate" for kids cartoons on Cartoon Network were high, or just forgot to read this script or something, because mixed species magical creatures or not, this is still an out-of-wedlock pregnancy on a kid's show. And it's not the "very special episode" kind either, it's just a couple having, um, rainicorn puppies(?) together. It kind of blows my mind!

I took a peak at the episode titles for season 5 and I can't wait for
Spoiler

Of course, Jake and Lady's relationship isn't the only interesting thing in Adventure Time.

"The Lich," "Finn the Human," and "Jake the Dog" were filled with cosmic wishes, alternate realities and a full blown multiverse. Most of the big questions have been poised about the episode, but there are these little details that are sticking in my head.

Why did Finn have a bionic arm, and does it have anything to do with his wish to get a bionic limb when he fought The Farm? Who were Finn's parents? I read on the Adventure Time wiki that Finn's sibling was a girl named Fiona. Whether or not that's true, will his parents or sibling have significance in a later episode, maybe via the multiverse?

In any case, I hope they get a chance to hop around the multiverse sometime, and that Finn finds out where he's from. I'd think Finn finding out about his biological family when they may all be dead is too dark for a kid's show, but this is Adventure Time! Anything can happen!

Gulielma

Gulielma

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

I'd think Finn finding out about his biological family when they may all be dead is too dark for a kid's show, but this is Adventure Time! Anything can happen!

I think Finn already knows this. He's almost always referred to as "Finn the Human". Which may mean he's the only one left. Anywhere.

lrdmordain

lrdmordain

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 10:59 AM

If he thinks about it for too long, he gets all weird and soul searchy.

Guido

Guido

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 3:04 PM

I think Finn already knows this. He's almost always referred to as "Finn the Human". Which may mean he's the only one left. Anywhere.

Susan is human.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

Fionna was invented by the Ice King for his fan fiction(?) story he read to Gunter, which reminds me, when Marcelline's Dad was running amok sucking souls, he was surprised to encounter such a powerful evil being when he met Gunter. What was that about?

I too wondered about AlternateFinn's bionic/mechanical arm.

lrdmordain

lrdmordain

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 5:59 PM

Well not to split a hair Guido, but they do not actually say Susan is human, they just heavily imply it.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 12:59 AM

Susan, along with the other Fish People, are called "Hyoomans" to differentiate them from Finn and, well, other humans without gills. What exactly Susan is, we're probably never going to know. But Finn knows.

Ravenwing263

Ravenwing263

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 1:32 AM

We don't know if Susan is a human or a Hyooman, though. Unless I forgot something about her second episode.

Guido

Guido

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 1:13 PM

At the end of Beautopia, she put Finn's hands on her neck, presumably to show that she had no gills. But I guess since we didn't see for ourselves, it is just speculation on my part.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 6:34 PM

I thought they showed her gills once. Plus, in Beautopia, she thought Finn could breathe underwater like her and almost drowned him.

lrdmordain

lrdmordain

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

No, they've never actually shown her to have gills. As far as the raft goes I took that to mean that just assumed he had gills like everyone else of her kind she knew. Given the fact that at the end of Beautopia she let's Finn feel under her hat thing, and he looks surprised, she's likely human but there has been no official confirmation one way or the other.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 7:49 PM

Wait, that set of stoties wASN'T about fingers? Dooh!

I had a D&D flashback in the Fire Princess story when they discussed his daughter being Evil but "taking an experience points penaly for behaving out of alignment"!

InternalParadox

InternalParadox

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

I don't care what Cubic says, that episode was about fingers, damn it! Even though I didn't understand how Treetrunk's short related to fingers the first time I saw it. I don't think I would have understood it at as a kid, so I wonder how many kids were utterly confused by that short!

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

I didn't catch Tree Trunks' story, either the first time. Then it all added up. I loved her story, regardless. Her idea of "Justice" is forming a posse and attacking the rude person with pantyhose filled with wadded up newspaper.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 11:14 PM

I realized what was going on once I saw that worm(?) sitting there. I was amused at Treetrunks getting together a vigellante group, though.

cromulent357

cromulent357

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

"In the tree...part of the tree. In the tree...part of the tree."
:)

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 12:10 AM

The squirrel was voiced by Marc Maron! Such a perfect voice for that character, I hope we see him again.

I just loved the concept of the tree society. It was like a surreal take on those old-timey cartoons with the anthropomorphic animals doing funny things, with the owl (voiced by Jim Cummings!) keeping the society together.