Adventure Time with Finn & Jake: What Time Is It?

• Please log in to reply

358 replies to this topic

Ryan DeMaster

Ryan DeMaster

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 26, 2010 @ 9:41 PM

Based on creator Pendleton Ward's Annie Award-nominated short that aired on Random! Cartoons in 2008, Cartoon Network's newest animated show is set to officially premiere April 5th after two sneak peek episodes earlier this month.

It features Finn (voiced by Jeremy Shada), a 12 year old boy whose hat "is AWESOME!!!", and his best friend Jake (John DiMaggio), a 28 year old dog who can magically grow any part or all of himself at will, as they traverse the various kingdoms of the Land of Ooo seeking adventure and fighting evil. And it's all awesomely crazy.

I can't do this show justice, so just go here and read about it. Or better yet, watch the original short and tune in on April 5th!

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2010 @ 12:59 AM

I was gonna make a thread for this one!

The original short is now a classic, and I wondered if either of the "Sneak Peeks" ("Business Time," "Evicted") would live up to it. I didn't catch "Business Time," but I did see "Evicted," which introduced Marceline The Vampire Queen.

I thought the episode itself was pretty good, Marceline was a great antagonist (and, like the song said, she's a definite "sexy vampire lady") and I loved Jake's "scream song," but I wondered where the charming WTF-ness of the pilot was. And then came the ending, with the worms all over the bed, with the King Worm saying "HUG MEEEEE!!"

That's when I realized that the show will be completely awesome. April 5th isn't coming fast enough.

Fun Fact: Finn is currently voiced by Jeremy Shada, who is the younger brother of the original VO, Zack Shada.

Ryan DeMaster

Ryan DeMaster

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 5, 2010 @ 4:44 PM

What Time Is It?

It's tonight (Monday) at 8 PM ET on Cartoon Network!

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2010 @ 7:26 PM

Algebraic! Slam-a-cow!

Slumber Party Panic: The first two minutes simply blew the pilot out of the water. Loved how Jake tried to just stamp the Candy Zombie down in its grave to get rid of it. Princess Bubblegum sounds like Starfire (yay for Tara Strong!) if she actually came from Earth...or Ooo for that matter. I love how they got away with saying "Frickin'" and actually playing "Seven Minutes of Heaven." The ending was great: Weird, yet sweet.

Trouble in Lumpy Space: FANTASTIC artwork for Lumpy Space. I love the voice for Lumpy Space Princess.

Ryan DeMaster

Ryan DeMaster

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 7, 2010 @ 3:13 PM

What Time Is It now? Time for 13 more episodes to be ordered!

The series premiere drew 2.5 million total viewers and, according to the CN press release linked above, Adventure Time was CN's highest rated 2010 program in Kids 2-11.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2010 @ 9:02 PM

What Time Is It now? Time for 13 more episodes to be ordered!

That's in addition to the two seasons already ordered, I bet. Algebraic!

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2010 @ 7:30 PM

Prisoners of Love: After seeing a good chunk of this episode in the teasers for the past few months, it was nice to finally see the rest of it. Loved seeing other Princesses, especially Lumpy Space Princess again. Lots of great animation in this episode. So, counting Marceline, I think that makes Slime Princess the third potential suitor for Finn so far.

Tree Trunks: This episode definitely had that great, offbeat feel that the pilot had. Wall of Flesh was deeply disturbing, as was the Crystal Guardian. That ending creeped the hell outta me. Tree Trunks bit into the Crystal Gem Apple...then exploded...then went inside it? Freaky-deeky.

Next Week: The one with the giant baby thing, and Finn learns to speak Auto-Tune.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2010 @ 1:43 PM

The ending was great: Weird, yet sweet.

You're delicious!

Also, I never laugh at fart jokes, but I did at that one because it was so oddly sweet.

LSP slays me! The password is "whatevers 2009!"

Adventure Time was CN's highest rated 2010 program in Kids 2-11.

I'm used to being out of target demos, but this is getting out of hand.

Edited by JessicaLovejoy, Apr 15, 2010 @ 1:47 PM.

Lord Seth

Lord Seth

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2010 @ 12:37 PM

That was a great episode. Finn's auto-tuning (because he swallowed a computer) was absolutely hysterical.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2010 @ 1:37 PM

Cookies that are almost too cute to eat.

Edited by JessicaLovejoy, Apr 20, 2010 @ 2:59 PM.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2010 @ 7:27 PM

I thought last week was hysterical. Both episodes were absolutely great, especially The Jiggler.

This Week:

Ricardio The Heart Guy: George Takei as Ricardio! "Let's continue our conversation on the dance floor"...and then they do! Hee! Ricardio being The Ice King's heart was such a great reveal.

Business Time: I missed this during the sneak peek, so it's neat to finally see it. Brian Posehn as the Red Tie guy! The fact that the gang keeps finding stuff in icebergs definitely plays in the theory that Ooo is a post-apocalyptic world.

Another solid half hour of awesome! Next Week: Vikings!

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 1:34 PM

Adventure Time alignment chart.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2010 @ 7:27 PM

My Two Favorite People: The awesome thing about Lady Rainicorn is that her Korean is completely accurate. Her Old Man Voice was hilariously jarring. Also jarring: Tiffany The Boy. I loved the two guys whom Jake fights every day at 4, then cuts their heads off at 5 that grow back for the next day.

Memories of Boom-Boom Mountain: The designs of the Marauders were definitely inspired by Asterix. "Pigs on my knees! Pigs on my knees!" It was nice to see Finn's backstory, with his whole helpfulness deriving from being helpless after falling into his own boom-boom and being discovered by Jake's parents. I just loved the increasing ridiculousness of everyone problems, and Finn's inventive way to solve them all. Wilhelm Scream at the end!

Another Mathematical Episode! I hear next week we see Marceline's episode again!

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2010 @ 1:18 PM

Remember, a dolphin falling in love with you is the opposite of a problem.

Grimlock

Grimlock

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2010 @ 11:23 PM

damn those cookies look cute and delicious.

I hoping the bakery is still able to make some of those.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2010 @ 7:16 PM

Wizard: I just like how they keep getting Mark Hamill for the Creepy Character roles. There was some fantastic animation on the appearance of the Demon Door. "Whoo, yeah! Force that enthusiasm!" I loved how all the other powers were easy to gain, especially after the first power was gained by eating a broom. This is just another one of those episodes that definitely seemed like it was being told by a little kid, especially how he uses his powers to save the village from the asteroid, especially "all the other powers [he] didn't mention by name!"

Heh, I'm pretty sure Evicted was supposed to air this week, too, but they aired "Trouble in Lumpy Space" instead. Oh well, that episode was still hilarious.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 1:34 PM

I seriously adored that house-hunting song. It was like a Phineas and Ferb tune, but with slightly more LSD.

And one of the things I loved about "My Two Favorite People": Finn booing Jake when he says he wants to spend some time with his girlfriend. I do the same thing!

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2010 @ 6:51 PM

I was happy to see Tree Trunks again in the Marceline episode. Does that mean she is alive? I hope so. She is the sexiest adventurer ever.

I know it isn't that kind of a show, but seeing Jake be actually scared of having to fight Marceline makes me wonder just how powerful she is. Look at all the things they fight without batting an eyelid. Even when they struggle, they never seem to be afraid that they might lose. Here's hoping that she will continue to be a big part of the show.

Ryan DeMaster

Ryan DeMaster

Video Archivist

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 6:14 PM

I seriously adored that house-hunting song. It was like a Phineas and Ferb tune, but with slightly more LSD.

And that's not a bad thing. Especially for a song featuring the show's resident Phineas and Ferb voice actor.

I know it isn't that kind of a show, but seeing Jake be actually scared of having to fight Marceline makes me wonder just how powerful she is. Look at all the things they fight without batting an eyelid. Even when they struggle, they never seem to be afraid that they might lose. Here's hoping that she will continue to be a big part of the show.

You know, I never thought of that. But that is true.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2010 @ 7:11 PM

City of Thieves: Very funny episode: A city where Finn & Jake simultaneously helped and beat all of its inhabitants. Even the wall stole from people! Just loved the reveal of Penny being a thief, and taking Finn's "purity." The angels descending on Finn at the end and then taking his stolen swords was such a great touch.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2010 @ 2:52 PM

Has anyone read the Wild Mass Guess entry for Adventure Time at TvTropes? It's such a bummer!

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2010 @ 7:12 PM

LOVED this week's episode. Man Baby!Jake was creepy as hell, but probably not as weird as the Skeleton Mermaid and the Man Baby!Bagel. It sounded like Maria Bamford was voicing the Witch.

"You guys are so cute, I could just maul you to death!"

Faz

Faz

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 8:42 PM

I find this show fascinating, though I'm not sure if I actually enjoy it. It kind of makes me break out in sweats a little bit. Yet I cannot turn away when its on.

By the way, the ending of Tree Trunks was one of the most fucked up things I have ever seen on child's cartoon. I think I gasped. But again...fascinating.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 9:04 PM

Fun Fact: The episode ended with Tree Trunks just exploding, with everyone looking on in horror. The "epilogue" with TT in the Crystal Gem Apple (I think) was made later, as, you know, it pretty much outright implied that she died. I love that whole episode nonetheless, it simply reminds me of what it would be like if a little kid like Finn was playing Dungeons & Dragons with his grandma.

BTW, the show is now being played weekdays at 5/5:30pm and 9/9:30pm! Mathematical!

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2010 @ 7:13 PM

What is Life?: Remember: Throwing a garbage bag full of butter at someone is the best prank ever. And talking balloons are total dicks.

"are those my tickets to the gun show?"

I don't know what was creepier: Ice King in what looks like underwear, or that his video game character looked like a comically beefed-up Princess Bubblegum? Also, the balloons having a blood oath to go to the mesosphere to die.

How many times is this show going to make me sad for the Ice King? For a total patoot, he's got a mess of emotional problems.

ETA: Neptr was voiced by Andy Milonakis.

Edited by InvaderNorbert, Jun 14, 2010 @ 8:08 PM.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2010 @ 11:41 AM

Also, the balloons having a blood oath to go to the mesosphere to die.

I thought perhaps their blood oath was to actually help someone for once instead of being dicks, and the reward was finally being able to die.

Ice King kicks his legs up in bed like Tobias Funke!

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2010 @ 11:46 AM

Sweet Trunks, the face Finn makes in the promo for the next ep is even worse than this one!

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2010 @ 7:25 PM

Ocean of Fear: Poots on Newts! Gotta love Mark Hamill voicing EVERY intentionally creepy character. It's quite neat to see the sunken city, it plays quite well in that "Ooo is a Post-apocalyptic Earth" theory.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 12:41 PM

Ow! My bread and butter!

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2010 @ 8:00 PM

When Wedding Bells Thaw: Just when you think Ice King finally succeeded in capturing a princess...she turns out to be brainwashed. It just makes me wonder: If Ice King was able to curse princesses with an icicle engagement ring, why did he pick THAT princess? I just think that every other princess wouldn't go near him.

And I just love how Ice King thinks that the opposite of a Bachelorette Party is a "Manlerette" Party, and his habit of automatically fighting Finn, even when he was just asking him to participate in his wedding