Ugly Americans

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

111 replies to this topic

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2011 @ 10:10 PM

Favorite bits:

Grimes' embarrassingly inappropriate monologues, punctuated by "Holy crap, why am I still talking?!"
Mark's (and his clone's) genetic inability to swear
Twayne and Randall's organ harvest smorgasbord, and (last but not least):

The fact that the rats were crawling over Mark's body throughout the entire scene with Mark, Grimes and the clone. That's what I call commitment to disturbing imagery by the writers and the animators. Most series would have ditched the rats after five seconds.

Way to go guys!

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2011 @ 10:00 PM

Okay, any episode opening with the beatdown of Justin Bieber ranks an automatic "A" in my book. Love how selling souls is a-okay unless you're a minor. And the bigger the soul (like Mark's, which looked like a gigantic fried egg), the more valuable and harmful it is to your body. Mark crushing his own soul (like partying with Charlie Sheen) to save it? Pretty awesome for him.

"Doug wants to stab things." I love him more and more with each episode. Speaking of love, Leonard continues to be awesome.

Yes, Grimes had the wife that ran off with that vampire, and has 14 sisters for the Bella Swan parody. One of them's named Moon Unit! Another named Apple! Love how getting kicked out of Earth, Wind & Fire lead Grimes to turn Justin Bieber and his family into the Partridge Family.

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2011 @ 10:15 PM

Don't like to sound this harsh, but hated the Grimes sub-plot. So many other TV shows (live action and animated) have done Partridge Family take-offs, and I didn't think the writers brought that much more to the subgenre besides Grimes' complete incompatibility with any form of music. As a huge fan of Earth, Wind and Fire, you'd think I would have been tickled by the shout-out, but I sat there stone-faced. Points for the truly disturbing sight of Twayne picking up Rumer on the road, but that was about as good as it got.

The plight of Mark's engorged soul was mildly amusing, but for the most part, I started wondering about the aftermath of Mark's slick financial maneuver/night of debauchery: when Callie finds out about his ingenious plan, will she be turned on by his deviousness, or insulted that she wasn't invited along for the ride?

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2011 @ 10:01 PM

Audrey II running a florist makes perfect sense in this world. The fact that he hates old people while loving money just adds to the greatness.

Demon scheme of the week? The cruise around NYC is a zombie conversion scheme, with Leonard (always great) and Randall helping out. Randall wearing a Price is Right nametag was just...priceless. Then we got the whole Randall Turns into a Plant story, which was great. Knew an ET reference was coming as soon as we saw the "magic bike."

Also priceless: Leonard as Vince in his Powers Paste ad. "WHO'S READY TO GET PREGNANT?!" And he was able to become a billionaire and pawn the "miracle formula has short-term effects" trope onto Twayne & Callie. Awesome. But I figured that he was able to spend all $1 billion before the episode finished, or he got sued.

...I think I saw Toby The Fishguy in a dress at one point in front of Mark's apartment. I also like how the "See You In Hell" message burned on Mark's wall is still there.

Pumpkinhead33

Pumpkinhead33

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Absolutely everything

Posted Aug 21, 2011 @ 1:42 AM

I honestly loved everything about this episode. The Little Shop Of Horrors backup singers popping up behind the lady "Ba-Doo!" as she's walking to the florist were the perfect start. Randall's whole transformation into a plant was really hilarious to watch, especially the part where his eye pulsated and sprouted a tiny version of his face.

Something I've noticed, ever since the episode where Callie was nice, is that Doug seems to hate Mark now. He shot daggers at him when he sat down in the theater next to him. Poor Doug.

Albino Girl

Albino Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 22, 2011 @ 7:25 PM

I'm a couple of weeks behind due to a lack of cable and being forced to watch online so please forgive the lateness of these comments. Just a couple of things that weren't commented on when the episodes were current.

In the episode where Grimes takes off to rewrite the ending of his favorite show -- loved the ending with Doug in the bathroom ala "Boogie Nights".

And speaking of references... in the following episode with Mark becoming Lady Beatrice's fiancee. Was he wearing Seinfeld's puffy/pirate shirt or am I misremembering?

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2011 @ 10:00 PM

Mark's old flame is a hobo...and a Hulk. And hey, a callback to eggs being Mark's favorite food, and used as a plot point. And I've never been to Pinkberry, but the raving by the girl characters seemed natural for them.

Randall was participating in a dog show? Somehow I find that hilarious. Also hilarious: Mark's "Man Club" being like a secret society, with blazers and pledges and everything. And Callie having a "Girl's Club," and that Twayne is a member of both clubs.

The Grimes Bot? Freaking awesome.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2011 @ 1:29 PM

Toby is becoming more and more inappropriate. First he made himself the secret ingredient in his chilli, now he's offering Callie his fish stick.

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2011 @ 4:09 PM

I wonder if Jaclyn's middle name is Heidi.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2011 @ 10:01 PM

Love that opening. Laura Croft! And we find out that Grimes wears a toupee...and was reading "Home Embalming" magazine when his mom died. Mummy fighting Anubis was badass, even if it mostly happened in the background.

Toby has the memory of a fish. Somehow I'm not surprised by that. He's quickly becoming my favorite of Mark's clients. Doug's up there, too. Love how he was growling at that dog at the end of the episode.

Twayne continues to become lamer and lamer with each passing week. This time he loves Oprah and wants a Pontiac Aztek. And dances while wearing a thong and a ballgag.

Randall was excited to finally be on TV? But he was on that reality show back in season one. I guess he wanted to be on a show that he could show to his parents.

Really sad that tonight was the season finale, but I know that Season 3 is in the works! Can't wait!

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 12:39 PM

So, we're forgetting all the times that Randall was super-cheerfully anticipated eating Mark? Worst. Roomate. EVERS.

It's interesting how quickly people in this world can get enormous sensual portraits made.

Edited by JessicaLovejoy, Sep 2, 2011 @ 2:38 PM.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

It's back! And with a new intro sequence!

There's...a literal Dickhead creature. And he's a cyclops. And he wants a cellmate.

I liked that the villain this week was a literal Fire Ant, and then everyone went full-on Fantastic Voyage inside Twayne. Even though the joke is old by now, I will never not laugh whenever someone decks out the Sunglasses of Justice™.

Heh, Stripper Prison.

Next Week: Football! With steroids!

InternalParadox

InternalParadox

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 2:09 AM

Well, the show's back, and it's still pretty gruesome, but also weird in a good way.

It wasn't as funny as it could've been, though. It's becoming harder and harder to believe that Twayne is actually a demon. The Fantastic Voyage homage was cute, but the best thing about this episode was the stomach bacteria culture and Grimes's relationship with Princess Chlamydia.

Also, Mark Lilly's "Bacteria Name": Lesbian Hair. I wish I didn't find that funny, but I did! :P

I have no idea why Emily/Portia went to jail at the end. just because she swiped Twayne's wallet?

CoveredInGaston

CoveredInGaston

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 6:09 PM

Twayne must have had the fastest Flanderisation in television history.

johntfs

johntfs

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

It messed up my brain to here the voice of Sterling Archer coming from man-Callie.

DashDixon

DashDixon

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

I'm watching the episode now and am truly tripping.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

Yeah, it was weird to actually hear Jon Benjamin pretty much play Gay Archer, er, Callie in a man's body.

I really liked how the Atlanteans were literal Sea Monkeys.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

Lady Gaga, er, Hoo Ha went Zombie. Honestly, if zombies were real, Lady Gaga would totally turn herself into one. On the topic of zombies, if was good to see some more history on them. The Zombie War that was fought in place of Vietnam was a battle for zombie civil rights, and that all the zombies were once confined in an area of New York City that, like everywhere else in the city, became gentrified and full of zipsters. And apparently impersonating a zombie is a lesser charge than attempted muder, At least when it comes to Mark when Grimes is concerned.

I figured Carl wasn't a zombie when he bled actual blood and felt pain when his arm got cut off. And that he slept.

Three odd things in this: Pre-zombie Randall, Mark's ultimate John Cusack collection, and the lack of Leonard.

Next week: Bat Boy! Joy!

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

Loving the continuation of Mark being unexpectedly good at surviving.

I would recommend Mark watch Identity. And to be extra cruel I would tell him Cusack gets a happy ending in that movie. And then lather rinse repeat with The Grifters. Heeheehee.

I wonder what he thinks of Gross Pointe Blank. It could be lumped into the romantic comedy genre. But is it too violent for Mark Lily?

The Chinese characters for the zombie spa was off by one character, so it actually said "Vampire Spa" instead. And weirdly, the sign next to the door said "printing" at the top and "happy endings" at the bottom.

You'd think the faux-zombie would have been discovered when he was taken to the hospital and later when he was taken to the zombie spa.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

Mark as Batperson with Doug as his Robin. My god, this show is amazing. Catwoman was supposed to be modeled after Julie Newmar, right? She was the redhead catwoman if I remember correctly.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:02 PM

Apparently in the Ugly Americans universe, Gary Unmarried lasted 12 seasons.

Of all days for Mark not to fall for anyone's pranks, the Patient of the weak is so dangerous, he's the reason Eric The Robot is a robot. Until it actually WAS a prank.

That was Ken Gemberling (from Fat Guy Stuck in Internet & Robotomy) as Barney for those who were wondering.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

I kept waiting for the whole Barney thing to be revealed as an elaborate prank on Mark. Because there's no way they killed off Doug, Eric, Croatian Man, and Fish Guy. I almost forgot that I'm expecting that reveal when they finally made the reveal, so that's alright.

Is it wrong that, like Callie, I find pissed-off homicidal Mark really sexy?

I also kept waiting for Leonard's lottery win to be an elaborate prank on Leonard. But I guess it was real.

Other small bits I liked:
- Fish Guy's flopping to the ground like a dead fish with the dead fish eyes
- Eric shits batteries (looks like Duracells)
- The butler announces the commercial break
- Doug looked so bewildered when Grimes threw him the gun and told him to take first watch. Then he cocked that gun like a total badass.
- there's a shrunken head in Callie's stuff when she's unpacking.

At the start of the episode, a couple of inmates of the mental hospital are shown. That guy who pretended to be a zombie and tried to kill Mark was the second inmate. Who was that first guy? Anyone we've seen before?