Ugly Americans

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

111 replies to this topic

mistiec

mistiec

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2010 @ 7:47 PM

I'm going to miss this show. Five months?

oddly enough, I find myself rooting for Callie and Mark. She's so evil and he's so... lilly but they work! he even apologizes for not doing anything wrong!

And I adore Randall. His utter joy at having his bottom half being a sexy lady (and prancing around all fairy like), and the visual gag of Mark carrying him around on his back was just hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing.

"Yeah, kill all the humans! Oh - except Mark!"

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2010 @ 3:58 AM

I'm just happy that they're coming back at all.

I ship Callie and Mark, too. Even though despite her ripping actual chunks out of him and always threatening to drag him through the bowels of hell, she seems to care way more about him than he does about her. That's kind of sad for Callie.

MadBomber80

MadBomber80

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2010 @ 11:32 PM

The one I can't figure out is "Fire? Good! Facts/Myths" Maybe it's for a caveman creature.

That's a reference to Frankenstein's Monster, when he would moan "Fire BAAAAD!!!"

VnlaThndr775

VnlaThndr775

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 6, 2010 @ 3:22 PM

Season premiere tonight!

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2010 @ 10:00 PM

Thanks for bumping this! I would have. It's so good to have this show back!

Aww, poor Koala Man for getting caught in a Saw situation. Speaking of weird creaturs, I liked the actual Golden Buddha at the DOI group.

I'm still loving Leonard. His only reason to get out of bed is the thought of robbing a bank...And then ROBBING a bank? Awesome.

"Why are we in a restaurant with cloth napkins? Are you stalking Krystal?" Ah, Mark's starting to get more aware of his surroundings. But I just loved that "curse" that Mark was given to turn into Crystal. I knew when he got old that he'd get with Grimes. That was great, but the "aftermath" was something I really didn't need to see.

Tim just couldn't win, could he? He was the inferior left head...and then gave birth to another right head that will most likely dominate him again. But then the Right!Tim started to wither without Left!Tim...interesting.

Damn Zombieology cult, actually perpetuating the stereotype of mindless, leg-dragging zombies. Thankfully, Randall wouldn't do it by paying $500.

Next Week: Apparently, Leonard explodes and becomes hundreds of tiny Leonards. Looks great.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2010 @ 12:05 PM

Why exactly did he think Mark would need his old lady shell back?

I don't know how Callie riding Mark got past the censors, but I like it. Then again, the shivering severed zombie penis was okay with them, so....

Edited by JessicaLovejoy, Oct 7, 2010 @ 3:32 PM.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2010 @ 10:05 PM

I think I uttered "poor Mark" way more times than I can count this episode.

I love that Mark loses the whole bleeding-heart thing and just stick the two worm halves back together when he's faced with the possibility of being stuck with lefty Tim and the worm baby. Ha!

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2010 @ 10:00 PM

For some reason Leonard wearing an Ed Hardy t-shirt is oddly hilarious. Yes, having all his parts become multiple baby Leonards a la Germlins was nothing short of awesome. All the Baby Leonards saying stuff like "My penis is slightly larger" in an Alvin & The Chipmunks voice were great.

Was that George Takei as Leonard's Nemesis? I'm also not surprised that he forged a friendship with Twayne.

Lots of shows can have a Zombie Lincoln, but only this one has him dating Jessica Alba and being the inventor of the sunroof.

Was the male host Abscess Hollywood a literal Talking Ass?

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2010 @ 7:52 PM

More to the point, I think that Abscess Hollywood host is supposed to be an asshole. A literal asshole.

So many awesome bits and details. The homage to The Ring, The little mermaid look-a-like, Leonard's hologram being tied up like a dog outside while they shop in the wand store (just like a cell phone store down to the rollover spells and unlimited hexing)!

The Ed Hardy shirt was especially great because it said "Death Kills You". Foreshadowing!

Is it me or had this show gotten more bloody and gross, though. Leonard exploding - blech!

Matt K

Matt K

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2010 @ 8:17 PM

I loved the killings. It was just awesome.

A Conspiracy

A Conspiracy

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2010 @ 9:23 PM

The host was still better than Assy Mcgee.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 10:00 PM

After seeing a week of promos, I JUST realize how fitting it is to see Randal having sex with Delores (her surname is...Surname. Hee!). It's 2010...zombies crave brains in ways besides eating them now. It's pretty interesting to see that Great Brain isn't really as great as he proclaims to be.

Speaking of weird sex, Leonard totally wants to have sex with the new carpet.

Totally loved the snark on Morgan Freeman. "I've been told to stop narrating, but that's not gonna happen." "This hole smells like old tennis shoes."

Twayne and Sarah...what the fuck was up with that?! The "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" scene was great, but the revenge...the hell did I just watch?! But I love it. This show is so great.

I really liked the subtle callback to the stump on Twayne's chest where his barbed penis used to be.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2010 @ 3:29 PM

Baby arm cigars. That is all.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2010 @ 5:39 AM

Ha, yeah, baby arm cigars were the best.

I freezeframed on the soul contract, and dude, Twayne has the signature of a first grader.

Oh, and it seems on page six of the "NY Post Mortem", there's a story on A-Rod being traded for... bat boy?

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2010 @ 10:00 PM

I love that Modern Hell is just a tourist trap shopping mall (Hell being bought out by Japanese Mall Magnates!), while Old Hell is, well, hell.

As a native to Long Island, I really liked the Amity Horror b-plot. Leonard being a Realtor/therapist to a sentient house that's depressed about its purpose and settled to be a Murder Mystery Dinner Theater? Great.

Twayne lives with his mom and wearing footy pajamas? Hilarious. Mark (er, Mark's clone) being brutally killed was REALLY horrific, and his head staring back at the camera with the eye being plucked out was something I really didn't need to see. The reveal was great, though.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2010 @ 5:58 AM

Randall speaking Chinese was so random. In case anyone was wondering, it is all real Chinese, it's just that the way he spoke it had really weird cadences and pitches. But I managed to make out:

Yao, ni hao. (Yao, hello.)
Sizemore shuo bu chuan yi fu mei guan xi. (Sizemore said not wearing clothes is all right.)
Mei wen ti (No problem.)

Yi fu (clothes) is one word, but he put such a big pause in the middle of it, I almost couldn't figure out what he said.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2010 @ 3:15 PM

No joke, every single time they showed Twayne's death gaze, I screamed "HOLY FUCK!" or "JESUS CHRIST!"

Knowing it was coming did not lessen the creep factor.

Edited by JessicaLovejoy, Oct 28, 2010 @ 4:41 PM.

Screamie

Screamie

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2010 @ 12:39 AM

This hell episode was my first episode. That death gaze thing was creepy/crazy yet funny. The death match arena was very Futurama, but good anyhow. I think my only real laugh was zombie Bing Crosby's "buh buh buh brains!"

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2010 @ 3:44 PM

I like this series a lot, mostly because I think it's probably the most realistic depiction of New York on the airwaves today. No, we don't have demons, wizards, zombies, or homonculi, but we do have immigrants from all sorts of strange and wonderful lands with strange and wonderful customs. It's up to people like Mark to assimilate them into our great melting pot and make sure they don't kill each other....

And speaking of Mark, he was fan-freakin'-tastic this episode. The main joke of the series is that Mark is something of a mushy-headed liberal wuss, always stumbling into some hazardous cultural misunderstanding, and I've always wondered what a (forgive me) smoking hot chick like Callie saw in this guy. I wonder no more. Mark may be a wuss, but he's adaptable, and that translates into excellent survival skills. The creation and training of the clone, not to mention sneaking through customs in Hell was damn impressive. And the clone nailing Mark's "Wait, what?" patented expression of dumbfoundedness was easily the best laugh in the episode.

A ton of respect for the Long Island/Amityville esthetic for the ep. Too subtle to be really funny, but it worked beautifully as (sulfurous) atmosphere.

I'm not sure, but I think Twayne's mom was my third grade teacher.

Edited by cjl, Oct 29, 2010 @ 3:47 PM.

johntfs

johntfs

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2010 @ 11:24 PM

Have to say I really liked this episode. I don't think Callie has looked hotter than tonight in her T-shirt and panties watching Night Terrors.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2010 @ 12:12 AM

Really loved that Night Terrors was filmed in the firehouse from Ghostbusters. I noticed that the Werewolf from season 1 was in the cast. REALLY didn't need to see Naked!Randall again.

I still love Leonard. Yeah, leave it to a horrible person to teach a troll about humans. I liked Quargle's ending, he's the host of a game show!

Really loved the twist ending. Not only is reality screwing with Mark, so is Reality TV.

Have to say I really liked this episode. I don't think Callie has looked hotter than tonight in her T-shirt and panties watching Night Terrors.

Agreed.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2010 @ 3:22 PM

REALLY didn't need to see Naked!Randall again.

How else do you expect to learn the finer points of strength fitness, sex power, dance aggression and windsurfing?

What makes great reality TV: fighting, fucking, and fightfucking.

I don't think Callie has looked hotter than tonight in her T-shirt and panties watching Night Terrors.

You're so right, but I obviously need to get my priorities straight. All I could think about was how I could really go for some of Grimes' layered bean dip.

johntfs

johntfs

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2010 @ 11:33 PM

It's interesting for me because on many occasions, Callie has been much more overtly sexual and showed more skin. Her "Venus Restoration" in the tree episode comes to mind. But here it was such a normal girl moment, with her and Grimes watching TV in her T-shirt and undies. She looked so sweet, approachable and vulnerable that she was just incredibly hot, moreso than usual.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2010 @ 11:12 PM

God, Mark has some pretty weird dreams.

This episode was pretty good, as fucked up as it was. I liked how, plotwise, we were kept in the dark about just what was going on until the very end. It turns out that the ritual thing was to suck out their mate's soul. That J-9 plot was really weird, with it being an insemination robot that's programmed to screw its owner to refill.

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2010 @ 10:30 AM

Okay, I know Mark is supposed to be Mr. Clueless, but this is ridiculous.

Are you telling me that Callie is about to go through this momentous demonic bas mitzvah/communion/life passage ceremony, and Mark knows absolutely nothing about it?! If Callie is in character, she'd be yammering about it for weeks on end, complaining about how her Mom and Dad aren't getting along, how the ceremony is just producing more tension within the family, and (oh yes) how it kinda sucks that she's going to have to eat somebody's soul.

My wife said, "Maybe he's the kind of guy who doesn't listen." But that's not Mark: he's (as I said before) a mushy-headed liberal wuss, and they always listen. (They're not very effective about doing anything, but they always listen.) I can imagine that at the end of a long rant about the ceremony, Callie would say:

CALLIE: Please don't come. Tell me you're not going to come. It wouldn't be good for anybody.
MARK [frightened out of his mind]: I, uh, wouldn't dream of it.

End of story.

And, in a related topic, shouldn't the DOI (Twayne is the boss after all) teach their employees this basic cultural stuff about demons?

BTW, loved the J-9 subplot. The main plot worked my nerves, that's all.

johntfs

johntfs

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2010 @ 2:08 AM

And, in a related topic, shouldn't the DOI (Twayne is the boss after all) teach their employees this basic cultural stuff about demons?

Of course not. They're demons. Their whole point is essentially to do evil, horrible things. It's a giant masquerade. If you recall from last season the whole point of the DOI is to import enough weirdness to overthrow humanity.

So, the first rule of demon club is don't talk about demon club.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2010 @ 5:45 AM

Loved Leonard slooowly turning around in his chair to reveal that some extremely high stranger had a knife to his throat.

That soul was pretty cute.

The main plot worked my nerves, that's all.

Sometimes I wonder why he doesn't just check their Google equivalent. (Ghoul-gle?)

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2010 @ 8:42 AM

If you recall from last season the whole point of the DOI is to import enough weirdness to overthrow humanity.

Oops. Must've missed that part. Still, all the more reason for Mark to pay attention.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2010 @ 1:13 PM

Loved Leonard slooowly turning around in his chair to reveal that some extremely high stranger had a knife to his throat.

He wasn't wearing pants, either!

Yeah, Mark was uncharacteristically ignorant of the whole plot there. But then there wouldn't be any tension for us, the audience. I didn't know just WHAT that ceremony was about until the very end. I liked that.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2010 @ 9:22 PM

I'm sure Mark would have "Ghoul-gled it" (hee, JessicaLovejoy), but he was already 5 minutes late for the demonic ceremony thing by the time he dug the invitation out of the trash. My guess is Randall chucked it into the trash as soon as it arrived in the mail, and it's been sitting at the bottom of the trash can for a month or something like that.

Callie may yammer sometimes, but she never ever gives Mark any details about demon stuff that can get him killed. Remember the Painful Mortal Shedding? Then just a couple of episodes ago, she went around cloning Mark without telling him, and she didn't warn him about her father signing him up for a duel to the death, either. And Mark, bless his bleeding heart liberal soul, he tries to pay attention more than most, but he's always letting important things slip through the cracks because he's distracted by something else.

Loved the Carrie pig's blood reference, but with a happy ending this time. Aww...

And the tech guy Mark consulted was wearing a "JFGI" t-shirt. Kind of fits with us wondering why Mark didn't Google what's going on, eh?