Ugly Americans

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

111 replies to this topic

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2010 @ 6:25 PM

I'm loving this show right now. Reminds me a little bit of Futurama with the alternate New York setting, the dark humor and little sight gags in the background. The animation style is not the same, of course, but I like this animation, too.

I love the zombie roommate who keeps trying to eat the main guy, the sleazy wizard co-worker, even the demon girlfriend even though that one is almost a cliche by now. But I love when she gets all scary.

The main guy is kind of cute. He's kind of incompetent at his job of being a social worker trying to get all the weird creatures to co-exist peacefully. But like his demon girlfriend, I love it when he's terrified.

Main guy: How long have you been watching me sleep?
Zombie roommate: The whole night.
Main guy: (totally creeped out but trying to keep it together) Okay, clearly, you want to eat me. And that's... natural. You're... you're a zombie!
Zombie roommate: Save your hippie mind-games for someone else, dude.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2010 @ 8:43 PM

I've been meaning to start a thread for this!

I, too, am in love with the show. At first I thought it was one of those over-hyped clunkers that CC has been famous for the past few years, but I was pleasantly surprised with the first two episodes. I think I saw it on Cartoon Brew, where some commenter said this show was "Superjail! Meets Mission Hill," and I could not agree more. It doesn't hurt that the show is animated by Augenblick Studios (aka, the studio that brought us Superjail!) and Cuppa Coffee. This just seems like a show where characters like Alice, Jackknife & Jailbot could fit right at home in.

I just love all the funky character designs for this show. My personal favorite background character was from this week's episode, whose head and hands were fishing hooks, not unlike Chairface Chippendale's manservant from "The Tick."

The main guy is kind of cute. He's kind of incompetent at his job of being a social worker trying to get all the weird creatures to co-exist peacefully. But like his demon girlfriend, I love it when he's terrified.

His name happens to be Mark Lily. Hee, even his name is wimpy. I liked that, in this week's episode, he accidentally killed the PigeonMan from the pilot with the gun he randomly shot off.

Main guy: How long have you been watching me sleep?
Zombie roommate: The whole night.
Main guy: (totally creeped out but trying to keep it together) Okay, clearly, you want to eat me. And that's... natural. You're... you're a zombie!
Zombie roommate: Save your hippie mind-games for someone else, dude.

I totally like the backstory they gave the Zombie Roommate (I, too, currently forget his name). Any weaker show would've been "Zombie Roommate! Hilarity!" But here, he was just a normal guy who "went Zombie" for a chick that was into them...who was later revealed to be into Warlocks after he zombified himself. "Craaaaap!" indeed.

My favorite main character so far is Leonard, the alcoholic wizard. "Abracadabra" will never sound the same way again.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2010 @ 4:06 AM

All those digs at Mark's wimpiness cracks me up and make me go "aww... that's so cute" at the same time. "He drinks chocolate milk... yeah, I know, a grown man." Snerk! Aww...

Hee, yeah, I love zombie roommate's backstory, too. I think his name is Randall. He's my favorite. He comes with so many awesome zombie-oriented products. And he can imagine so many ways to kill and eat Mark. I mean, I like Mark, but Randall's fantasy scenarios still cracks me up.

I wonder if Mark will get his toe back (Leonard ought to conjure one up, he owes Mark that much) or if he's just going to have 9 toes from now on.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2010 @ 11:46 AM

He comes with so many awesome zombie-oriented products. And he can imagine so many ways to kill and eat Mark

He doesn't come up with them, he buys them in stores! I just love how there's a product to replace the skin on the chin. There's also a Zombie form of AA, if we can assume that's why Randall is calling his "sponsor" in this week's episode when he's watching Mark sleep.

Edited by InvaderNorbert, Mar 27, 2010 @ 11:48 AM.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 2:19 PM

Oh, I know, I mean he "comes with" them like they're his accessories. His zombie accessories. Mmm mmm. Flesh Toast. *thumbs up* And Skin-a-burst, the zombie gum. Probably used the way people who are trying to quit smoking use nicotine gum.

The random zombie creepiness is great. That zombie from the first episode who was cleaning windows? That shot of him scraping on the window was so creepy. And when he went to give Mark a hug. Eeek! And that close up on Randall's dead eye stare as he's muttering to himself about how he's going to kill Mark.

What kind of zombie needs piano wire and and a body bag to kill someone? Now that Mark is armed, it's going to be more of a challenge, but he could have just ripped Mark apart limb from limb with his bare hands before Mark got the gun.

Not that I don't love the classic serial killer references, because I do.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2010 @ 10:05 PM

Noticed Beast Man in the courtroom scene in the beginning! I also like that a man resembling an Easter Island Head (like those kids from The Critic) is part of Mark's group.

"He's got your nose" Ha!

Now we know that Mark's boss is named "Twayne The Boneraper," (love the name, BTW) and Callie Maggotbone is half demon/half human. Interesting.

I liked how the Demon Daddy talked like a combo of Joe Pesci and Adam Sandler.

Speaking of Superjail!, a girl resembling Cancer appeared in the ball pit at Ducky Cheese's.

soupcat

soupcat

Couch Potato

• Interests:Hiking, reading, WFMU radio (www.wfmu.org), WOXY.com radio, Asian cuisine and other ethnic cuisine, bread-baking, TV criticism, film criticism, food criticism

Posted Apr 2, 2010 @ 2:23 PM

This show is surprisingly good. But wait, so Cally is half-human and half-demon, but didn't we meet Cally's demon parents in a previous episode? Or was that her father and stepmother? Have I just fallen into a nerd trap by pointing out a continuity issue, or has my memory gone to Hell in a slop-bucket?

lrdmordain

lrdmordain

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2010 @ 3:22 PM

I think it was infact just her Dad and step mom / whatever current floozy he is dating.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

• Interests:hockey, horror, science fiction, mythology, food

Posted Apr 5, 2010 @ 1:43 PM

I loved that Cassie's birth dream was straight out of Rosemary's Baby with all the elderly folks standing around chanting, and then we found out her mom lives at the Dakota Apartments and might actually be Rosemary.

Edited by Bruinsfan, Apr 5, 2010 @ 1:43 PM.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2010 @ 1:57 PM

Does kind of wanting to cuddle with that koala guy make me a furry? Please say it doesn't make me a furry.

(Or furry-curious, which I also hope is not a thing.)

shimi

shimi

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2010 @ 11:26 PM

I love this show! I stumbled on it by accident and got stuck on it. I can't think of a single regular character that doesn't crack me up.

Bruinsfan, I agree it seemed like they were implying that her mother was Rosemary. And I cracked up at the Easter Island head guy in the parenting class.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2010 @ 9:59 PM

I still love Leonard the most, but I thought everyone was great in this episode.

I liked Randall's magazine that read "Barely Eagle." Hee. I liked how the NJ Zombies are of the classic "Slow Walker" type.

So...in this universe, the Zombie War of '68 took place instead of Vietnam? I found it interesting that the whole thing about Randall keeping his Zombieness a secret has parallels of closet homosexuality. Nice to see that it turned out okay between Randall and his parents. Of course it wasn't his nose under the couch, the demon baby tore it off last week.

Albino Girl

Albino Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2010 @ 6:01 PM

Of course it wasn't his nose under the couch, the demon baby tore it off last week.

It could have been though. IIRC, we have seen Randall getting replacement parts before.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2010 @ 3:04 AM

When Randall was listing fun things he could do with Mark on his day off, "Reenacting Silence of the Lambs" was one of them, yet Mark was more concerned with the "we could wack off" suggestion. Hee.

And was that a Journey song that Lennard played on the jukebox near the end of the episode? Great call back to Randall suggesting they play some Journey while they were trying to think of fun things to do in the van.

The rack of brochures is a treasure trove of sight sags as always. "Curse free! - Revenge under wraps" (with picture of a mummy), "Compute - Dealing with the Illogical" (picture of robot), "Ghost dad - spectral fatherhood", "Cracking your Exo-skeleton", "Are you there, Satan?", "Communicating with your other head", "Tentacle Harassment facts" (the picture of the octopus is awesome - kind of anime-ish), "Creator and Creations - working together" (can see a bit of the Frankenstein monster's silhouette), "So... you're a werewolf", "Suck-cess - safe bloodsucking".

The one I can't figure out is "Fire? Good! Facts/Myths" Maybe it's for a caveman creature.

What did that woman sitting behind Randall mutter to prompt him to say "Hey! That's our word! You don't get to call us that!"? Was it "dirty leg dragger"? I had to watch that three times to make it out.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2010 @ 9:43 PM

And was that a Journey song that Lennard played on the jukebox near the end of the episode? Great call back to Randall suggesting they play some Journey while they were trying to think of fun things to do in the van.

The entire scene itself was a parody of the last scene from the last episode of The Sopranos, hence the Journey tune.

rayray

rayray

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 12, 2010 @ 2:22 AM

And the ending scene with the blob parodies the end of Goodfellas.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2010 @ 10:00 PM

Loved Randall's "Got Wood?" foam hand. Randall's penis drinking a soda...deliciously disturbing.

I love FishGuy. Also, Robot/KoalaGuy is a pairing I thought I'd never type.

Okay, Callie referenced Transpotting, The Exorcist & Ghostbusters in the span of one scene. That's gotta be some kind of record.

I liked how blue Roots wood-tentacle raped something in the left-hand side of every slide.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2010 @ 2:57 PM

Even more disturbing... I don't think that was a soda, it was drinking a cup of instant noodles. With a straw.

Which scene are you talking about where Callie referenced all those things? I don't recall any Trainspotting reference. But, ah, I wasn't paying full attention when I watched that movie.

Callie roughing up Mark will never stop being hilarious and disturbingly kinda sexy. Hee. "See you in hell" is still on his wall (though a little faded now - I'm guessing it's written in blood and that's why it's not possible to clear it off completely.)

Heehee. Painful Mortal Shedding. I think that's how I'll refer to my period now (makes sense, it's a painful mortal shedding of a sort). I wonder if she does this once a month?

The screaming warts on Callie. Ew. That was just terrifying and gross (and not in a good way).

That guy smoking a cigarette while holding a kid in one arm... has he been in every episode? I think I saw him before at the auction where the Blob got a job. He's gotta be some kind of a running joke.

Edited by Bec, Apr 16, 2010 @ 3:03 PM.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2010 @ 6:00 PM

Which scene are you talking about where Callie referenced all those things? I don't recall any Trainspotting reference. But, ah, I wasn't paying full attention when I watched that movie.

It's where he finds Callie crawling up on the ceiling, like the Baby Hallucination from "Transpotting."

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2010 @ 3:39 AM

Oh yeah, I thought that was just all Exorcist references and nothing else. But I guess the demon from The Exorcist never did make the girl crawl on the ceiling, as far as I remember. But which part of that scene is the Ghostbusters reference? When you said Ghostbusters I thought you were talking about the porta-potty scene with Callie breaking out of a shell of goo.

Punky B

Punky B

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2010 @ 4:20 PM

And remember- there's no "i" in Penis.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

• Interests:hockey, horror, science fiction, mythology, food

Posted Apr 18, 2010 @ 11:30 PM

But which part of that scene is the Ghostbusters reference?

When she's levitating above the bed and panting while sleeping.

It was hilarious how they did a riff on The Birth of Venus with Callie's renewal scene.

I loved how Randall's description of his sexual history was able to terrify the tree back into fidelity. And his storyline hadn't even gotten to its most horrifying parts yet–no pun intended. I think I like it better now that they've dropped him obsessing about eating Marc, and are instead concentrating on the disgusting fratboy roomie aspect. He's basically Davis from Accidentally on Purpose with a detachable penis.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2010 @ 12:22 PM

I was wondering if the levitating part is the Ghostbusters reference that was referred to, but that wasn't from the exact same scene (though it is the very next scene).

I love the Birth of Venus scene, too. I wonder if she's going to keep that hairstyle? I kind of prefer the "flying up like the flames of hell" hair, it's more demonic. But the new hair is pretty.

Aw, I like that Randall wants to eat Mark. Especially when it's a throwaway gag like the suggestion to reenact Silence of the Lambs that Mark completely ignored last week. I think Randall can be both a fratboy roommate and the roommate who wants to kill and eat him. It's more interesting that he's both of those things - more interesting than if he's just either one or the other.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2010 @ 10:03 PM

BY FAR my favorite episode so far. Pitch-perfect ripping on Twilight, plus an eerily-timely Larry King B-Plot made for a fantastic episode. God, "Mad Larry Disease" being a blood-borne disease was hilarious.

Leonard's fists being named "Siegfried & Roy" were great.

Elli DC

Elli DC

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2010 @ 11:19 PM

I haven't been too sure about this show, but tonigh'ts episode got me hooked. I saw the first episode, and a couple in the middle, because South park was the perfect lead in, and I immediately liked the socio-cultural references about the demon-version of INS, crazy bueracracy and coworkers you love to hate, assimilation, therapy groups, you name, if there's a social commentary in existence, it's probably in this show.

I was turned off by some of the grossness at first, with zombie parts flying off and skin grafts (can it, I'm a girl), but tonight's ep was PERFECT, loved the blatant Twi-hate, and how Tristan had to literally explain her emotions and reasons for talking, because Kristen Stewart can't act, at least in Twilight. I love me a well-done paradoy.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2010 @ 12:18 PM

I thought they were too nice and gentle. They could have ripped on Twilight even harder than that, but I do like what we did get. The girl was a pitch-perfect condescending idiot who thinks she is smarter and better than everyone else (except her perfect boyfriend who she clings to ever so co-dependently *puke*). The vampire guy could have been more of a creepy stalker to get the parody across even more. Perfect gentleman? Meh.

The bureaucratic process of vampire conversion taking all the sexiness out of being a vampire was hilarious. As was the "in retrospect, the sparkling in sunlight thing wasn't such a deep dark secret". Hee!

Wow, it is so weird that they have a Larry King subplot right now. I was all "Did they plan this? Nah, they couldn't have..." Is someone on staff seriously psychic?

I loved the little moment when Mark is all freaked out that Randall drugged him with horse tranquilizers on their night out to get him to "loosen up". Mark: "You could have killed me!" Randall: "No way, I would never kill you." *awkward silence* (then they go right back to talking about something else.)

Between Callie and Randall, it's a wonder Mark isn't dead yet.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2010 @ 12:23 PM

Mark helping koala man get the yogurt cup off his nose was too cute.

I wonder if he'll ever get his own episode, seeing as how he doesn't seem to speak.

Is someone on staff seriously psychic?

And peeing on their robes?

Edited by JessicaLovejoy, Apr 22, 2010 @ 12:24 PM.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 9:43 AM

Yeah, I awwwwwed at him helping the koala man, too.

So far only major classic monsters seem to get more than background roles. It would be interesting to get to know more about the bit players. Hope this show lives long enough to explore that.

Anyone find the episode opening voiceover a little off-putting sometimes? Especially the whole "when we were young" thing. Coming from a guy who's probably barely pass his mid-20s, if that. It's not the worst voiceover ever, just bugs me a little.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 9:59 PM

Speaking of classic monsters getting big parts, this week focused on Kong, who was a skyscraper cleaner with OCD. Of course, there was the requisite battle with Godzilla...which was revealed to be a movie he was watching.

I, too, would like to see more of the tertiary characters like The Great Brain, Koala Man and Fish Guy (he had a hook in his mouth and flopped on the floor when he was panicking! That was great)

Interesting to see what Randall does when Mark's not around. I liked that he drilled a peephole for a chupacabra who was interested in Werewolf/Squid action. I love Leonard's sideplot, where he grew into a paint huffer and a fat god in Da Nang in the span of a weekend.

The titular "Ugly Americans" and the DOI itself is just the Demons' master plan to get as many creatures around to outnumber the humans to bring about the end of days was a pretty interesting revelation.

I wish this wasn't the last episode for now. I can't wait until October!

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 12:52 PM

Randall shows off his new legs to Mark: Don't turn away! Look at me! DEAL WITH THIS NOW!

I don't think it was Callie and Twayne boning (bonerapering?) that brought on the End of Days. I think it was Twayne's dancing. And I'd kind of prefer the apocalypse over seeing that again.

FIVE MONTHS UNTIL I GET MY KOALA FIX AGAIN?

Not cool.

It's hummus.