Covert Affairs

• Please log in to reply

2900 replies to this topic

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

Posted Aug 17, 2010 @ 11:48 PM

They were doing reasonably well with the Washington DC stuff until they had a bookstore at First and Maryland -- although it is two blocks from the Library of Congress.

That was Lauren Holly? I thought so from the voice, but I couldn't make it match up to any of my mental pictures of her.

Yea for Auggie saving the day.

I did like Annie getting confirmation of the affair from Chief of Staff girl. That was real agent work.

DashDixon

DashDixon

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 17, 2010 @ 11:49 PM

They really did buy those dresses in bulk, huh? Ridiculous.

I know why Annie irritates me so much -- she spends 95% of her non-speaking time holding her mouth open. She looks, well not at all smart. Actually, she looks stupid. Close your mouth!

Didn't care about the brother-in-law or the case of the week as a matter of fact.

Jake was okay though, but that is going to become a boring role, if most of what he does is just sitting at a computer. Oh well, it might not last that long.

DolfinWings

DolfinWings

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 12:34 AM

What the he'll happened to Lauren Holly's face? I barely recognized her.

Work done/ bad lighting? Maybe they done her up, to make her look like one of those aging washington wives who wear way too much make up. Cuz she looked really fake.

Do people in washington really just talk on their cell phones about sensitive info in cabs like that? Taxi drivers have ears too.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 1:07 AM

Yeah, after the last two episodes being actually kind of good, this one went back to being boring. I enjoyed the Auggie plot and Jai had a few fun moments, but everything involving Annie was boring as hell. The senator plot was cliched and obvious (I had the wife pegged as soon as I saw her), and the stuff involving the brother in law was bleh, except whenever Anne Dudek actually got screentime.

I actually liked the scene when Annie got the Chief of Staff to admit the affair and thought Piper Perabo did a solid job with it. But besides that, she is still kind of a bore. I'm not sure if it is the writing or acting, but they really need to change something, because a solid supporting cast can only carry a boring lead so far.

gwen owen

gwen owen

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 2:14 AM

Loved the bit about Auggie's "walk of shame" -- scenes like this are why I get a sibling or buddy vibe between Annie and Auggie instead of a romantic one. Plus, even though Annie is being presented as so smart and intuitive and just darn amazing, since I do not buy all that, I cannot help but feel that Auggie deserves better!

The trouble with getting somewhat famous guest stars is that a) since they are somewhat famous, they have to be integral to the plot, so Lauren Holly can't just be another D.C. politico's wifey and b) they carry the baggage of former roles with them, so of course D.W. Moffat had to be a sleazy cheater.

What the he'll happened to Lauren Holly's face?

Maybe they done her up, to make her look like one of those aging washington wives who wear way too much make up

Yet she looked so much better all pink-nosed and sans cosmetics after (obviously) crying following her arrest.

When Annie swiped Federico's security pass, I frowned mightily, thinking that she was going to get this nice man in big trouble. Glad that they covered with copying the pass.

Really loved Auggie being so vital to the overseas mission and his video reunion with his "guys." The plot was also well-positioned, following the moments of Auggie yearning to get back into the field and next week's episode when he is back "in." And of course, that promo -- Chris Gorham ... yowza.

Someone better get shirtless and often.

Ask and ye shall receive!

purplebubbles

purplebubbles

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 2:30 AM

Yeah, not a great episode. It's a good thing Jai had quite a central role because otherwise I would have turned it off midway were it not for Sendhil's pretty.

I called the Senator/Ashley affair as soon as she appeared on screen. By the way, nice to see Sarah Newlin from True Blood again! She also had a small part on Mad Men a couple of weeks ago.

Another thing that annoyed me was Annie saying that Portuguese was her favourite language, and then the very next second switching back to English again. Wtf?

Agreed with the 'needs more Auggie' sentiment. Therefore next week should be much better :)

I know why Annie irritates me so much -- she spends 95% of her non-speaking time holding her mouth open. She looks, well not at all smart. Actually, she looks stupid. Close your mouth!

Yeah, I mentioned this a while back as well; glad to see someone else has noticed. PP has a tendency of pouting weirdly during random scenes. She does it in photos as well. Someone really needs to talk to her about it.

AllShiny

AllShiny

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 6:27 AM

When Annie swiped Federico's security pass, I frowned mightily, thinking that she was going to get this nice man in big trouble. Glad that they covered with copying the pass.

But they didn't let him off the hook! The computer system will record HIM as being the person using his pass to get through that door at that time, when he had no reason to be there. Actually, if he didn't have his pass back, at least it looks like it was stolen, and while that might not get him off the hook, still having it in his possession does NOT look good for him.

And once again, as bad as it is having them use the CIA to do domestic investigation, to investigate members of Congress?!?! Seriously?!?! Just because it was their information that was stolen, that in no way makes it LEGAL for them to investigate! Not in the US.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 8:15 AM

Another thing that annoyed me was Annie saying that Portuguese was her favourite language, and then the very next second switching back to English again. Wtf?

a) She might have been trying to flatter him
b) Piper can probably only memorize a limited amount of Portuguese
c) American TV viewers don't like to read subtitles

Agree on the poutyness. She loves to stick her lower lip out and have her mouth half open in almost every scene. I'm surprised the directors haven't done something about it. Maybe they think it makes her look hot.

But they didn't let him off the hook! The computer system will record HIM as being the person using his pass to get through that door at that time, when he had no reason to be there.

Yup, I was thinking the same thing.

Edited by Rickster, Aug 18, 2010 @ 8:42 AM.

jodievt

jodievt

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 8:25 AM

I cringed when Annie was having a phone conversation IN A CAB about the case. Sorry, but in DC most cab drivers are not from this country, and you would not have a conversation about foreign affairs in a cab!!! But, kudos on some shots of the Potomac.

Grace Oakley

Grace Oakley

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 8:26 AM

And once again, as bad as it is having them use the CIA to do domestic investigation, to investigate members of Congress?!?! Seriously?!?! Just because it was their information that was stolen, that in no way makes it LEGAL for them to investigate! Not in the US.

To be fair the show admitted is was illegal. My biggest problem is once Anne found the leak she should have been out of sight. Then the CIA could have at least denied that they were investigated the Senate they "found" the leak in the course of another investigation.

lynettefl

lynettefl

Stalker

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 8:34 AM

It's interesting that Joan seems so sweet to Auggie. I wonder if she feels guilty because she may have been involved in the explosion that caused him to become blind.

Jai and Annie still have zero chemistry.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 10:01 AM

Lauren Holly looked dreadful. She was Botoxed to the hilt, and what was going on with her mouth? Plastic surgery and filler? Gross. She looks much older than if she'd just let herself age naturally.

"Meaningful" looks do not chemistry make.

Jamoche

Jamoche

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 11:47 AM

Speaking of the pass - did I miss something, or did she get it out of an unlocked locker? If that's where Federico left it, he was a security incident just waiting to happen before she ever showed up.

Still more interested in Auggie's plot arc than hers. Definitely not interested in the sister's - seriously, did they find that storyline on the Mad Men cutting room floor?

Levitate This

Levitate This

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 11:51 AM

Are we supposed to think they have chemistry? My read on them (and maybe this is not the intention of the show, but the vibe I'm getting) is that it's rather innocent flirting without any intention of it really going there. At the very least that's one of the reasons I like it. I don't want them hooking up, but I like the friendly banter.

Overall an okay episode (preferred the last two much more). Some things I liked, others I didn't.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 12:03 PM

Speaking of the pass - did I miss something, or did she get it out of an unlocked locker?

Yes she did. I've seen places that don't allow you to lock lockers, but I would have thought if that were the case, he would take his pass home with him.

Jamoche

Jamoche

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 12:16 PM

Yes she did. I've seen places that don't allow you to lock lockers, but I would have thought if that were the case, he would take his pass home with him.

Ooo-kay then. And she just knew right where to go to get it, and the senator's wife made such an obvious point of taking the flash drive off the computer and sticking it in an easily unlocked drawer, the senator had his secretary write top-secret stuff down on paper (which, oddly, seems to be the only security breach Annie didn't discover)...

I'm not impressed with writing where characters succeed primarily because the people around them are idiots, but it seems to be a trend with her. It's even worse when, after discovering the obvious, the other characters praise her - if I drank every time I heard someone say "she's good" I'd be potted just from the ad breaks during White Collar.

leefonthewind

leefonthewind

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 12:45 PM

I'm not impressed with writing where characters succeed primarily because the people around them are idiots, but it seems to be a trend with her.

Agreed with this. If spy work was as easy as showing up in someone's offices twice and basically loitering, I'd have been recruited out of junior high. There were an awful lot of easy coincidences in this episode, from the open locker to the hysterically obvious flash drive to the 'locked' drawer with the key in a box beside the drawer.

Funny how a few eps ago, a simple drop pass turns out to involve car chases and Mossad. In this episode on the other hand, taking down the Chair of Senate Intelligence requires nothing more than a little cafe gossip and some midnight recon while wearing Loubs. Who the hell tries to break into the Capital building while wearing four-inch stilettos? At least she's wearing ballet flats during the fight, although I did notice that the flats still had red bottoms. Does the show have a product placement deal with Louboutin? (Please, Annie, please. Ditch the shoes, at least while on missions. They're driving me nuts.)

Also, I wish the show would be clearer on the purpose of the DPD. So far, we've seen Annie on ops in foreign countries twice, and now she's spying on the Senate? This division seems to have latitude to do whatever the writers can come up with, and no regard for whether the CIA or the division actually has jurisdiction or a mandate for those operations.

Line of the night has to go to Joan: "This is the moment you choose to appreciate the chain of command? Go!"

RFuller42

RFuller42

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 1:13 PM

I guess I'm in the minority in that I did like this episode. I'm determined to ignore the unrealistic-ness of this DPD division of the CIA being so involved in domestic issues and operating on American soil when that's not supposed to happen, so none of all of that bothers me one bit. I'm just along for the light and fluffy ride.

I agree - zero chemistry between Annie and Jai. I really hope they don't force that relationship.

I missed something because I didn't get who that guy was trying to kill Ashley/Chief of Staff in the boat shed. For a second I thought Jai had suggested to Joan that they - the CIA - needed to get rid of Ashley so I thought that guy was a CIA wet work operator and figured Annie would be in big trouble for thwarting his attack. I need to go back and rewatch to get that straight.

Nice realism in showing Annie's pain and confusion after getting her head slammed against the boat oars or wall or whatever it was. I hate it when two people have massive brawls yet act like none of it hurts one little bit.

More Auggie = good. I felt so bad for him when he realized his mission was about to become a disaster. Too, it was good to see a bit of a dark side to him, when he told Annie that, basically, everything isn't all about her mission but that he also has important things on his mind. Loved the walk of shame. Can't wait for next week since he seems to be the central character.

Edited by RFuller42, Aug 18, 2010 @ 1:15 PM.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 1:18 PM

Jai made the point that if Lauren Holly's character was compromised and the Indonesians realized it, they would no longer need a fall-guy. That was who was sent after Chief of Staff chick.

fashionista79

fashionista79

Stalker

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 2:26 PM

I'm revisiting season four of Alias. I really like Covert Affair, and watching Alias makes me realize that I'd like CA even more if there were more overseas missions. I can only hope that the reason for Annie being homebound so much is because she's still in her first training year, so to speak. She gets the exciting missions once in a blue moon (or the blue moon in the context of the show) because, while she showed potential in training, she's still a newbie. Maybe in season two we'll have more episodes that feature overseas mission (like in Alias). Granted, we're only five episodes in with Covert Affairs, and I don't know how many episodes were ordered for the first season, but I'm finding that one of the many thing I liked about Alias was the locations where they sent Sydney.

As it stands, Annie (and the DPD) are doing more work that has to do with occurrences in this country. Really, I'm none too concerned that real CIA would never work in the US, because--whatever--this is fiction. However, I want Annie to track down vials and documents and canisters and disks in far-flung locales.

As far as chemistry between Annie and Jai, I see a bit there. It's a little fun and flirty, but nothing too over the top. If they build up to it, that would be OK. Just nothing out of the blue, please. In general, I see more chemistry between Annie and Auggie, but I think some exists between Annie and Jai as well.

Annie and the congressional aide: I thought it was interesting that she took the girl to the happy hour hangout, and the aide correctly identified it as a place where "spooks" hang out. In that moment, I definitely saw what Annie's higher ups meant when they said that she was good. Annie was able to manipulate the conversation to get the desired information. It was something subtle to get what she needed (and yeah, yeah, I know it had to happen that way for plot purposes), but Annie worked it. I think, aside from her driving skills and language skills, another one of Annie's skills is the ability to be personable. People open up to her more because of it. That's an excellent skill to have.

Edited by fashionista79, Aug 18, 2010 @ 4:03 PM.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 2:39 PM

I'm revisiting season four of Alias. I really like Covert Affair, and watching Alias makes me realize that I'd like CA even more if there were more overseas missions. I can only hope that the reason for Annie being homebound so much is because she's still in her first training year, so to speak. She gets the exciting missions once in a blue moon (or the blue moon in the context of the show) because, while she showed potential in training, she's still a newbie. Maybe in season two we'll have more episodes that feature overseas mission (like in Alias). Granted, we're only five episodes in with Covert Affairs, and I don't know how many episodes were ordered for the first season, but I'm finding that one of the many thing I liked about Alias was have the locations they sent Sydney

I also wonder whether, practically speaking, it's a budget issue with an unproven new show to do overseas filming (I guess they could use Montreal to fill in for some Euro locations). If it becomes a big success, maybe they'll be able to open the wallet for season 2 to have more adventurous locations.

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 4:09 PM

I also wonder whether, practically speaking, it's a budget issue with an unproven new show to do overseas filming

I'm pretty sure that Alias never actually filmed overseas.

I think I'm done with it. Annie keeps boring me and Auggie is not enough to keep my interest. It's not the fact that it's unrealistic, the problem is that it's unrealistic within its own premise. If you call it the Domestic whatever Department then it should investigate DOMESTIC issues. Otherwise, what's the point of inventing something like that.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 4:40 PM

Last night's was a domestic issue. From my point of view, it was the most realistic use of their fictional department to date. They had a foreign relations connection with the committee the Senator chaired and the Ambassador's wife -- and didn't she look like a good Muslim? (seriously, when will people remember that Indonesia is the largest Muslim country in the world?) -- and had them investigate the domestic side of the leak with a view to possible treason charges. Even the rationale for using the new kids, they have no power and thus won't be known on the Hill, was one of the best to date.

I still find it difficult to feel connected to Annie, though.

Mediterranean

Mediterranean

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 5:08 PM

I actually really enjoyed last night's episodes - most of those shows have so many holes in the plot anyway, I don't know why I even bother to care. I pretend I'm their world where this no logic at all makes some sort of logic.

Last night actually made me think about Spooks (AKA MI5) which is basically all domestic spy stuff.

Also, add me to the apparently very small sector of those who think there's something there between her and Jai. But also count me in on the can't-quite-connect-to-Annie list.

I heart Auggie. That's all.

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 5:12 PM

From my point of view, it was the most realistic use of their fictional department to date.

Agreed. I'm just rather bored with it all. I knew it was the wife right away. And no way was someone so trusting a chief of staff for a senator. I wouldn't have known that that was the brother-in-law if they hadn't told me and did I care? Not really. And what is this? The fifties? Did they really expect me to believe that Annie's sister would leave her husband just because he lost his job? WTH?

Mediterranean

Mediterranean

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 5:22 PM

Did they really expect me to believe that Annie's sister would leave her husband just because he lost his job? WTH?

Did they? They only played with the notion of sometimes people having unrealistic/exaggerated fears in their head that lead them to be dishonest. I thought it was very human. Redundant, but nonetheless human.

chels73

chels73

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 5:24 PM

I watch the show on Hulu and I was so bored with Annie's segments that I just skipped forward to see Auggie's scenes. I think I got through the whole episode in 20 minutes (and that included the commercials that you can FF through). Here's hoping next week's episode is better.

heisey

heisey

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 5:26 PM

They had a foreign relations connection with the committee the Senator chaired and the Ambassador's wife -- and didn't she look like a good Muslim? (seriously, when will people remember that Indonesia is the largest Muslim country in the world?) -- and had them investigate the domestic side of the leak with a view to possible treason charges.

Even knowing that Indonesia is the largest Muslim country in the world (which I did know, but thanks for the reminder), I found the role of the ambassador's wife somewhat baffling. Reportedly, there are al-Quaeda-affiliated groups in Indonesia, but I don't think the government is believed to be involved in supporting or sponsoring those sorts of activities. So I was unsure why the ambassador's wife would be involved in gathering intelligence on U.S. operations in Iraq or Afghanistan. Is it likely an ambassador's spouse would be a clandestine operative? Or was she recruited or pressured by someone into working for them? Maybe we aren't supposed to care about those issues, because the writers obviously didn't.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 5:41 PM

Is it likely an ambassador's spouse would be a clandestine operative?

Valerie Plame was a US Ambassador's wife. Generally, though, they look at the Attache's and their families when suspecting covert operatives.

SilverLake0315

SilverLake0315

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 7:01 PM

What the he'll happened to Lauren Holly's face? I barely recognized her.

I just watched the episode and was coming here to say the exact same thing. Wow. I only knew it was her because I happened to catch her name in the beginning as a guest star. She did look better in the scene with Joan, but still wrong.