Skyler White: Happy Birthday, Mr. President

• Please log in to reply

490 replies to this topic

marioninnyc

marioninnyc

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 11:33 PM

I think the writer's have a tough challenge. The idea is not to make her Carmela Soprano enjoying her husband's wealth while closing her eyes to what he does. She's too smart not to figure it out and they couldn't keep her blind spot blind forever (like with Deb or Rita on Dexter). I think in the case of Walt, we see a man who made terrible choices and changed completely. In Skylar we see a woman who had something thrust upon her. I think she's thinking after Walt's "I am the danger" speech, she knows she can't really make this work. He's not helping. Before that I think she thought -- "The money is here. Let me help Hank at least and maybe it will give us a new start with the Car Wash." But she's just going to get herself in deeper and deeper. It'll be interesting to see how she reacts to Ted's death or if Saul will even tell her. By this point she's really got to be hoping the cancer will put an end to everything. It'll be interesting to see if in season 5 she does anything to speed that up. If the money is traced to drugs, they will lose everything even if Walt dies.

LevitateMe

LevitateMe

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

Marion ITA she didn't make the choice, she had it thrust upon her, and that the writer's have a tough challenge on their hands to not repeat Carmela/Sopranos (100% complicit) or Rita/Dexter (100% clueless-- I would argue that you can't lump Deb into this group but that's a discussion for a different place I think).

I don't have any issues with Skylar based on her lack of ability to prevent what Walt got her into. My issues with Skylar are about her fundamental personality traits-- which I think we see starting in S1 to be honest. Watch the ep where the family finds out Walt has cancer. Listen to what she says-- it's all about how long it was before he told HER, how she can't call drs because he told HER on a Friday, etc etc-- it is all about her. It's not about "oh my god my husband might die." The intervention and talking pillow even were I would argue not purely altruistically motivated, they were a means to her getting what she wanted, which is why she freaked out when Marie said something counter to that narrative but that also had some truth to it. This is a woman who likes to be in control and who cannot handle things she can't. Which, as it turns out, is quite a lot. Aside from acting/scripting.

I would also like to point out that I don't think it's normal AT ALL for very pregnant ladies to think about starting extramarital affairs, but I do believe she 100% thought she was working Ted over when she went in for the interview, or we wouldn't have gotten the wistful glance at SkinnySkylar & Grabby Hands in her unborn child's nursery the preceding ep. They could have showed us anything to indicate "hey, Skylar used to work" and they chose this. Again I think Skylar thought she could control/handle the situation to her benefit. I think this shows she is not only controlling but frankly downright manipulative. And look, as it turned out, yet again she was really wrong about who was f*ing who there.

Interesting idea that she is rooting for the cancer to neatly solve her problem. Although frankly shouldn't anyone close to Walt who has any clue what he's up to be doing the same?? But we all know in BB there aren't any neatly solved problems... so there's that.

Can't wait to see what dumb sh*t she does in S5! Definitely a love to hate character for me because her negative personality traits are ones I truly despise in real life too. And again mad props to Anna Gunn who has acted her ass off this entire series. Hoping she gets an Emmy nod this year.

Edited by LevitateMe, Jun 19, 2012 @ 5:50 PM.

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

Yeah, Anna Gunn does a great job with the character. I can't stand her and even hate her a lot of the time, but in the hands of a lesser actress, I'd probably just be more or less indifferent. It takes real talent to pull off what she pulls off.

backhometome

backhometome

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 3:47 PM

Anna Gunn is a really good actress. I love how talented the whole cast is. VG struck gold with them.

But to be honest I dont really care about Skyler. Its not hatred or anything that severe I just dont care about her. I dont care about her breaking bad. To me the show is about Walt breaking bad and taking Jesse along for the ride. If there is one thing about the show that bores me is the White Family dynamics. I was bored in the beginning of S3 when they would spend so much time on them and not in the meth part of the show. I also find Skyler to be a hypocrite. She hated Walt for turning into a criminal (with good reasons what wife wouldn't) but then she starts being a criminal too. Her and Walt are similar in always having to be in control of things.

I have a Question about Skyler, if/When Walt gets caught could Skyler be charged too? she is breaking the law with money laundering with the car wash. And she knows about Walt making drugs. Could she go to jail too?

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 8:52 PM

I have a Question about Skyler, if/When Walt gets caught could Skyler be charged too? she is breaking the law with money laundering with the car wash. And she knows about Walt making drugs. Could she go to jail too?

Definitely. At the very least, she is guilty of money laundering. Apparently, her bookkeeping at Beneke was pretty dodgy, too. Hiring those goons to pressure Ted was probably a felony as well, and in that she hired the felons, albeit indirectly, she might have a felony murder problem.

Then there is also the issue of conspiracy to commit these acts, knowingly earning income from the production of drugs, and perhaps other kinds of accessory liability.

However, the only people who know the true extent of her involvement are Walt himself, so that would be protected by the spousal privilege and she couldn't be prosecuted using such testimony, and Saul Goodman, who would assert attorney/client privilege. I think Saul could pull that one off in his sleep.

I don't think the books at the car wash would withstand scrutiny, though, so a money laundering conviction seems likely. It could be very tough to nail her for any of the rest of it, though, without the testimony of people covered by various kinds of privilege.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 9:57 AM

I could be wrong, but I don't think many conversations with Saul would be covered by attorney-client privilege because those conversations weren't about deeds Skylar committed prior to those conversations, but about future criminal deeds she's planning to do and how Saul can help her do them. He's a co-conspirator, not a lawyer. However, he could still plead the 5th, so I guess it's a moot point.

Kuby, the the guy who pretended to be the environmental inspector, who falsely told Bogdan the car wash owner that he was in violation of a number of laws, could rat Skylar out. Skylar was on the phone with Kuby, assisting him, during that whole scene. Plus, Kuby was one of the guys, along with Huell, who kidnapped Ted Beneke on Skylar's behalf.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

I could be wrong, but I don't think many conversations with Saul would be covered by attorney-client privilege because those conversations weren't about deeds Skylar committed prior to those conversations, but about future criminal deeds she's planning to do and how Saul can help her do them. He's a co-conspirator, not a lawyer. However, he could still plead the 5th, so I guess it's a moot point.

Yes, I agree that the crime/fraud exception probably applies to the privilege claim. However, the presumption is in favor of privilege, and the prosecution would actually have to show some evidence that Saul and Skyler were discussing future crimes. Otherwise, a prosecution could always defeat a claim of privilege simply by alleging crime/fraud. I don't think Saul will have left any evidence.

Kuby, the the guy who pretended to be the environmental inspector, who falsely told Bogdan the car wash owner that he was in violation of a number of laws, could rat Skylar out. Skylar was on the phone with Kuby, assisting him, during that whole scene. Plus, Kuby was one of the guys, along with Huell, who kidnapped Ted Beneke on Skylar's behalf.

Of course, Kuby would have to turn state's evidence himself. They'd also have to know about him already.

If they found out about the two of them, the connection to Skyler would be fairly obvious, but still, not necessarily enough to convict.

Skyler is definitely in a world of hurt on the money laundering aspect, and if they found out about Beneke, they'd probably think to check the books at Beneke Fabricators. I think they could probably coerce a plea on the money laundering stuff, which is a slam dunk, for dropping the other more serious stuff, which they'd be unlikely to be able to prove.

Sabine Lavine

Sabine Lavine

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

I don't have any issues with Skylar based on her lack of ability to prevent what Walt got her into. My issues with Skylar are about her fundamental personality traits-- which I think we see starting in S1 to be honest. Watch the ep where the family finds out Walt has cancer. Listen to what she says-- it's all about how long it was before he told HER, how she can't call drs because he told HER on a Friday, etc etc-- it is all about her. It's not about "oh my god my husband might die." The intervention and talking pillow even were I would argue not purely altruistically motivated, they were a means to her getting what she wanted, which is why she freaked out when Marie said something counter to that narrative but that also had some truth to it. This is a woman who likes to be in control and who cannot handle things she can't. Which, as it turns out, is quite a lot. Aside from acting/scripting.

It's funny, I think people's take on Skylar depends a lot on their gender/age/marital status. I never saw her as overly controlling, but as someone who has had no choice but to be in charge and take care of shit, something I can relate to. If she didn't jump into action with most things in that marriage, no one would. It's a huge role reversal for Walt to become an alpha male, and it drastically changed their dynamic. Part of Skylar finds it exciting and a turn on, but the other part of her doesn't quite know what to do next. Her entire world has been turned upside down by the choices Walt has made behind her back, and I think she's handled the fallout better than most women would.

LevitateMe

LevitateMe

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

Interesting idea Sabine and I do agree with you very much, we see people through our own eyes and experience, which are colored by our own age/gender/other traits. For example I think as a woman (but not a mother) I see and judge the main character on Weeds differently than 1) men 2) women who have kids (ok also and maybe 3- people who don't have twisted senses of humor or are very religous). So maybe my issues with Skylar would be mitigated a bit if I were a mom. But as a married woman I fully stand behind everything I have said about what I perceive to be her massive character flaws.

Part of Skylar finds it exciting and a turn on, but the other part of her doesn't quite know what to do next.

Exactly- and when she gets to where she doesn't know what do to next, instead of admitting she doesn't know what to do next, she pretends she knows everything and charges ahead. Result- accounting fraud, questionable acquisition of carwash, incredibly poorly executed money laundering. I guess I just feel like it's so much smarter to admit what you don't know, which is always more than you do, rather than to be so defensive and pretend to know what you don't. It's smarter to ask questions rather than presume you know. I see this trait only coming back to bite her more in the final season. I also think it's better to realize there is a lot more that you can't control than you can, and not attempt to control your environment/other people through manipulation.

Her entire world has been turned upside down by the choices Walt has made behind her back, and I think she's handled the fallout better than most women would.

I also disagree here. She knew something was up w Walt other than the cancer pretty early on. Her attempts to confront him were minimal, she was mostly passive-aggressive about it. So if it weren't for that, she might have known a lot earlier. Second, what the lawyer said to her was 100% true-- and I would honestly think most women would have taken that advice and moved their kids into the extra 3 bedrooms at their sister's place and filed for divorce ASAP. Everything she did after that point.... was with some knowledge, and as the story goes on her level of knowledge and complicity only grows. Now maybe Walt isn't being totally transparent with her, but if she's as smart as she thinks she is, she should be able to figure it out. IMO as painful as it might be the best way for anyone to have handled this situation would have been to immediately get divorced. But she thought she understood, she thought she could control it... and was she wrong.

I really agree with the idea though that it is difficult for her to relate to an alpha-male Walt. But presumably when she met him he was... so as others have said on different threads, I'm hoping the final season will give us some backstory on what exactly happened that pushed Walt into a submissive position in a not-glorious (by his standards) teaching job... because I imagine that is when Skylar started letting her true self out. I wonder if it was the birth of Walter Jr. and his medical issues. That is incredibly hard for any couple to bear. Maybe her controlling nature really went into overdrive when she had a baby with serious medical issues. I can certainly sympathize with that. But not enough to get over these issues which would keep me from ever being friends with a "real" Skylar.

peggy06

peggy06

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 1:22 PM

Skyler's passive-aggressive behavior in S1 drove me nuts. Such an immature response. I was ready to write her off after she simply turned off like a switch at the words "Which phone?" in the pre-surgery scene. That was cold. I did feel for her, though, later on when the truth came out and Walt was basically blackmailing her emotionally into letting him come back home. That scene where she called the police was one of the most fraught up to that point of the series, very uncomfortable to watch. I agree she should have taken the lawyer's advice and moved out ASAP when she found out what Walt was doing.

After Skyler broke bad, I thought they kind of deserved each other. But their kids deserve a lot better. And now, after the S4 finale, Walt has pretty much placed himself beyond the pale. Wonder what Skyler will do now.

backhometome

backhometome

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

I think one of the things that she did early on that drove me nuts is when she went to Jesses house. What 6 months (or however much preg. she was then) pregnant woman goes to a drug dealers house and tells him to stop selling to her husband. I could maybe understand if it was her son who was buying drugs but her grown ass husband. and she didnt even know if Jesse was dangerous or anything. It just boggled my mind of who in her condition would do that. Though it would be super interesting if Jesse and Skyler had scenes this season. Does Jesse even know that Walt told his wife about what they do? How does Jesse know she isnt going to rat him out, since she knows he is involved.

Edited by backhometome, Jul 10, 2012 @ 1:37 PM.

Sabine Lavine

Sabine Lavine

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 11, 2012 @ 7:59 PM

I think one of the things that she did early on that drove me nuts is when she went to Jesses house. What 6 months (or however much preg. she was then) pregnant woman goes to a drug dealers house and tells him to stop selling to her husband. I could maybe understand if it was her son who was buying drugs but her grown ass husband. and she didnt even know if Jesse was dangerous or anything. It just boggled my mind of who in her condition would do that.

Oh yeah, that was an incredibly emasculating thing to do, and it illustrated (for me) the pre-meth/post-meth dynamic of their marriage. She obviously looked at Walt as if he was another teenage son, rather than her husband who deserves a much different level of respect. But she wouldn't have been that way if Walt hadn't played into that role in the first place. IMO, their marriage completely shifted when Walt became Heisenberg. And again, I'd imagine it's a mindfuck when your previously milquetoast husband starts asserting himself, coming and going at odd hours, disappearing for days, etc.

I just re-watched the episode from last season where Skyler says, "Someone has to protect this family from the man who protects this family." I really sympathize with her there. Walt goes out and buys Jr. a sportscar without even running it by her, and puts her in the role of bitch mom/bad guy yet again with their son. She can't come out and tell Jr. why their marriage was on the rocks, why dad moved out, etc., and he defaults to blaming her for everything (like any teenager would). She can't win. And she's torn between trying to stick it out and keep her family together, or striking out on her own with the kids. We all can say what we think we'd do in a situation like that, but in reality it's incredibly difficult to make a split like that.

Edited by Sabine Lavine, Jul 11, 2012 @ 7:59 PM.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

It's easy to criticize Skyler's choices in how to launder Walt's money. However, let us also remember that Walt's brilliant idea of how to handle his money was to leave a mountain of cash in the crawl space under his home. Surely, as inept as Skyler's handling was, Walt's was even more pathetic. Walt acts as if he doesn't even care about the money at all. He's all about the game, at this point.

Sabine Lavine

Sabine Lavine

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

Agreed. Walt's ego has been growing since the day he blew out that wall in Tuco's office, and now that he's gotten rid of Gus (in a badassed way, I must admit)it's going to be enormous. And like so many epic anti-heroes, I believe Walt's hubris will be his downfall. After all, he just had to tell Hank that Gale wasn't Heisenberg. Had he kept his mouth shut it would have been the end of his worries with the DEA, but he just couldn't resist.

I don't think it's been about the money for a long time. He could have had his medical bills paid, put some money away for the future, and gotten out of the drug business. But his addiction to the adrenaline and danger grows with each battle he wins with people like Tuco and Gus. I can only guess that he'll try to take on a head honcho role now that Gus is dead. I can't wait to see what happens.

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2012 @ 6:03 AM

Had Walt quit the drug business after he made his big sale to Saul's mystery buyer (end of S2), the Cousins would have murdered him.

Walt's first reaction when Gus took him to the desert was to leave town.

coaster

coaster

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

Looking for someone to refresh my memory - when did we learn that Lambert is Skyler's maiden name?

MissPrism

MissPrism

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

Looking for someone to refresh my memory - when did we learn that Lambert is Skyler's maiden name?

Just speculating. . . in the ep when Walt recounted how he had met and wooed her when she was a waitress?

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

I felt sorry for Skyler in this episode. Having to live with and sleep with someone you are terrified of must be awful.

Sabine Lavine

Sabine Lavine

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 18, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

Well, I guess the people who were obsessed with why Skyler was heavier last year (not necessarily on this forum, but the whole rest of the internet buzzed about it all last season) can relax because she looks more like her old self now. She looks great, in fact.

Edited by Sabine Lavine, Jul 18, 2012 @ 1:20 PM.

LevitateMe

LevitateMe

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 20, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

True that Sabine- she does look amazing this year. I feel awful I was a person who questioned her weight last yr, really it was bc she had been pregnant for so much of the show, I was like "don't even tell me she's really pregnant"! But I now realize that was horrible. However her hair... something is off about her hair in S5.

Putting aside the do you sympathize with Skyler (at times I do) or do you think Skyler sucks/is in some ways just as arrogant and controlling as Walt (despite the sympathy, I definitely do) discussion, does anyone else feel that Skyler is the #1 candidate on the show currently to either die or go to prison? For some reason I felt like the small bits we got from her in Live Free or Die were the beginning of her swan song. Her position is untenable at this point. How it happens, whether Walt does it, whether it's an Act of God, whether the IRS comes calling... I just get a vibe that we may not see much more of Skyler in the immediate future. Which is too bad, because despite my loathing of her personality flaws, she's a hell of a character and AG is a phenomenal actress. But I trust VG et al to do it well if it has to be done.

MissPrism

MissPrism

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 20, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

. . .does anyone else feel that Skyler is the #1 candidate on the show currently to either die or go to prison?

I can see her going to prison, but not dying. Skyler and Marie are the only major female characters, and some necessary counterpoint would be lost if Skyler would be offed. But I'd rub my hands with glee to see her cowering in a prison cell!

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 20, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

Skyler's place in the show is to be loathed. She often acts against the interests of the main character, or does things (like give Ted money to get him out of the way) that backfire against the leads. Anyone who makes the lead character's lives more difficult is likely to arouse animosity. I see her character as similar to Pete Campbell in Mad Men, who was so loathed during the earlier seasons of Mad Men that a waitress once spit into the soup of the actor who played him. Now that Pete Campbell is no longer acting against the lead's interests but on the same page, the level of hatred against him is much less, even though the character of Pete hasn't changed in the slightest.

Now that Skyler is actively involved in Walt's criminal activities, I'm wondering whether the hostility towards her will diminish or increase. I can't quite see why anyone would like Walt and hate her at the same time; they share so many of the same irritating traits. If Skyler is hated for being controlling, then so is Walt. If Skyler is despised for being incompetent, then what about Walt who has managed to lose money selling meth for most of his criminal career, and only began to turn a profit when Gus was around to distribute his product?

ETA: Perhaps it's a sign of my own lack of sympathy for Walt that I don't hate the people who get in his way, such as Gus and Skyler, as much as I'm supposed to, or indeed at all.

Edited by Lollia Pollina, Jul 20, 2012 @ 12:54 PM.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Jul 20, 2012 @ 1:22 PM

But I'd rub my hands with glee to see her cowering in a prison cell!

God, I wouldn't. Walt's ending would have to be 1,000 times worse before I could begin to be okay with Skyler paying such a price. If she does end up in jail, I hope it's a really reduced sentence after turning his horrible, terrifying ass in. But even then, I'd just feel bad for Jr. and Holly and angry at Walt all over again.

She's an adult, she's made bad decisions since Walt put her in this situation, and it's probably a bit patronizing to want nothing more than for her to be safe and away from him at this point, but Skyler turning on him, and in a way that proves all his shit about needing to provide for the family in this horrible way was gross macho BS, would be such a satisfying ending.

LevitateMe

LevitateMe

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 20, 2012 @ 3:16 PM

Now that Skyler is actively involved in Walt's criminal activities, I'm wondering whether the hostility towards her will diminish or increase. I can't quite see why anyone would like Walt and hate her at the same time; they share so many of the same irritating traits. If Skyler is hated for being controlling, then so is Walt. If Skyler is despised for being incompetent, then what about Walt who has managed to lose money selling meth for most of his criminal career, and only began to turn a profit when Gus was around to distribute his product?

That's a great point and I guess the difference is how they handle it. First off, I guess I assume that any person at this point despises Walt for his actions since the show began and has lost any shred of sympathy they may have initially had. I certainly have. She and Walt are both very controlling people, yes. But to me the big difference is the arrogance Skyler demonstrated in every season up until now. We saw Walt frightened within an inch of his life trying to make the first deal with Gus in S2. We saw Walt questioning himself a lot as to whether he really had it in him (specifically after Tuco killed the dude in front of him) to do this. We saw Walt get schooled on mass drug distribution in S1. We saw Walt basically get walked all over by almost everyone in S4. With Skyler, she has this ability to act as if she totally knows what she's doing... she can never admit she doesn't.. at least with Walt, up until Live Free of Die, we haven't seen that. Supreme confidence in idiocy/vast overestimation of your own capabilities is massively annoying to me. Whether she's involved in the biz going forward or not, these traits are part of who she is, and they will never go away. And that is why these things come back to haunt her, because she isn't as smart as she thinks she is.

Walt, as much as it pains me to admit it, may be as smart as he thinks he is.

Skyler I'm getting more and more convinced ORANGE is your color babe! But seriously prison or jail is probably the safest place for any of them to be right now with The One Who Knocks totally off the rails.

Edited by LevitateMe, Jul 20, 2012 @ 3:17 PM.

Asyourequested

Asyourequested

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

It would be interesting to see Skyler go to prison but also HORRIBLE.

I don't think we should be "rooting for Walt". It's tempting to want to see him overcome his challenges for the sake of entertainment. But I don't wish to see any innocent character pay for what he has done. He has done. I don't think anyone can say what they'd do in her shoes. Skyler is only now finding out how dangerous Walt is. It's not going to be easy for her to break it off with him now. She's scared of him and doesn't know how to protect herself without him. I totally "get her" and I hope nothing bad happens to her. I really hope she doesn't die. I feel like anything is possible but I'm really hoping that VG will spare her that.

With all that being said -- Marie, Saul and Skyler are the most vulnerable right now (IMHO).

I feel like Skyler had always been a good wife to Walter. Their life together seemed passionless at times but they appeared to be happily married. Walt swears up and down that they were. I have a hard time vilifying Skyler for reacting to this nightmare like any concerned wife should. Part of her wanting to protect him. Part of her wanting to run screaming. She was under the impression that Walt was manufacturing meth in a controlled, safe setting. He lied to her and recently admitted that he's dangerous. That's new information for her. It's totally understandable that she go from complicit to scared sh*tless. Walter is bad and she's trapped.

Edited by Asyourequested, Jul 22, 2012 @ 10:13 PM.

Sabine Lavine

Sabine Lavine

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 2:54 AM

I feel like Skyler had always been a good wife to Walter. Their life together seemed passionless at times but they appeared to be happily married. Walt swears up and down that they were. I have a hard time vilifying Skyler for reacting to this nightmare like any concerned wife should. Part of her wanting to protect him. Part of her wanting to run screaming. She was under the impression that Walt was manufacturing meth in a controlled, safe setting. He lied to her and recently admitted that he's dangerous. That's new information for her. It's totally understandable that she go from complicit to scared sh*tless. Walter is bad and she's trapped.

I couldn't agree more. I re-watched the very first episode of BB today, and it struck me how the first time around I thought Skyler was bitchy towards Walt, that Bogdan was mean to him, that he was the sympathetic character. This time I realized that Skyler wasn't overbearing or bad at all. She didn't ride him for using the wrong credit card, it was more of a mention, a gentle reminder. Same deal with Bogdan. He didn't ask anything unreasonable of Walt, nor did he ask it rudely. Walt's temper tantrum was out-of-line. It wasn't his fault that Walt felt castrated, and it wasn't Skyler's fault either, but because I initially saw Walt as the protagonist it was easy to blame these other characters for things that were Walt's own fault.

Edited by Sabine Lavine, Jul 23, 2012 @ 2:55 AM.

MistressBlot

MistressBlot

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 5:21 AM

I guess I assume that any person at this point despises Walt for his actions since the show began and has lost any shred of sympathy they may have initially had.

Oh, no, no, no! A big part of me hopes that Walt is the last man standing in this thing. After all, he's already crashed like a scythe of Death through the meth apparatus of western Northern America. I fully expect him to take down Madrigal, and then Germany. Perhaps Europe. They keep underestimating this guy.

I feel for Skyler and always have. Nobody ever asked for her buy-in, and she's been scrambling since Day One to make the best of it. But she had her chances to make different choices. I do hope she gets tired of being scared and gets her Valkyrie on.

Asyourequested

Asyourequested

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 8:12 AM

I feel for Skyler and always have. Nobody ever asked for her buy-in, and she's been scrambling since Day One to make the best of it. But she had her chances to make different choices. I do hope she gets tired of being scared and gets her Valkyrie on.

This will probably be her biggest regret. I still don't blame her for it. She was in a better place to leave before Walt killed Gus. His power trip mania will most likely scare her into submission or he might even force her to stay at this point. However, she didn't know that Walt was this dangerous until recently. I think she was feeling like Walt was a drug manufacturer and nothing more. She couldn't process the idea of him being anything beyond a desperate, dying man trying to help his family. She had no reason to suspect him of murder or violence.

I like Skyler more than I ever have. I understand her point of view on this. We might see things change but I sympathize with her more than any other character right now. I can't stand the idea of Walt's behavior resulting in her death. It's a big possibility but I can't stand the implication! It haunts me! haha. Not only because she doesn't deserve to die but because those kid don't deserve to be orphans!

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

I still don't know if I can say I like Skyler, but that's okay. I sympathize with Skyler tremendously--I've said "Poor Skyler" out loud to myself several times while watching the show (Many of them were during the two end scenes so far this season. Last night's was particularly horrifying)-- and I'm also frequently really impressed by her. Those two things come together as something like affection, but it isn't quite what I feel for most of the men (and Marie). But I'm really invested in her, and I'm really invested in what her intelligence and her resilience and her recognition of Walt as a monster can bring to pass within this story, and how much it can help drive home the point about Walt's hubris and his justifications.

Asyourequested

Asyourequested

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

Looking forward to your comments, Captain's Log!

I just wanted to add that Skyler is also dealing with the threat of what killing Gus means. It can't be as neat and tidy as Walter describes. She's clearly scared for so many reasons but I would think the threat of retaliation makes the top 3. Skyler's not a dummy. She must know that killing a drug-lord will have major consquences. I think she's mostly reeling from the idea that Walt could get in so much trouble so quickly. That he could bring this level of danger to their home. I'll admit that she should have left when she had an opportunity. I think she wanted to believe Walt's BS. That they were safe and that there were no targets on his back. It's always easier to believe the lie. She has been married to him for at least 15 years. They have a son and newborn daughter together. Walt was Mr. Hum-Drum. He was the spitting image of Ned Flanders ;) Who could possibly think this man was capable of doing anything more criminal than mixing illegal chemicals?

;)

Edited by Asyourequested, Jul 24, 2012 @ 2:26 PM.