Skyler White: Happy Birthday, Mr. President

• Please log in to reply

490 replies to this topic

AuroraAustralis

AuroraAustralis

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2011 @ 3:52 PM

Thanks for that. I didn't recall it as tax fraud. You can be motivated to steal from your own company if you have investors, and for some other reasons. I agree, he had good reasons. I thought he cited his kids as part of the reason? Or did he refer to his employees as 'family', or to their families? I thought it was very similar to Walt's excuse at the time, which was all about the family.

titch66

titch66

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 15, 2011 @ 4:55 PM

she could have been the wife of award winning scientist, but somewhere along the road well it forked and instead he took an easier path. Which is why the "hot ratio" looks a bit off.

But she stayed with him when she could have bailed and found herself a Beneke. There is nothing wrong with being a teacher, it is a noble profession but pre-Heisenberg Walt's personality and demeanor were weak and Skyler simply took the lead that was handed to her. That can be hard on a relationship that didn't start off with those dynamics. I just see little chemistry between them except for times that he is in Heisenberg mode. Even then they seem a bit off. I could see Walt with a Gretchen type more than a Skyler, had things worked out with his original career path.

AuroraAustralis

AuroraAustralis

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2011 @ 6:35 PM

Funny, I thought Gretchen was the one that was way too hot for Walt. I don't mind him and Skyler. I expect the chemistry to have faded to mainly just comfort after 17+ years. I do think Walt looked a lot better and younger with hair. Before we knew he was previously a rising star, I kind of wondered how he got a wife 10 years younger, though.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2011 @ 10:50 PM

The episode in which Walt shared how he wooed Skyler with the New York Times puzzle explained the romance behind their relationship better than any I've ever heard, both fictional and IRL. I've never questioned it since.

scowl

scowl

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 11:35 AM

Funny, I thought Gretchen was the one that was way too hot for Walt.

But then Gretchen was too hot for big-eared Elliot so who's to say who is too hot for whom? Maybe she was into smart dorks. :-)

The episode in which Walt shared how he wooed Skyler with the New York Times puzzle explained the romance behind their relationship better than any I've ever heard, both fictional and IRL. I've never questioned it since.

I can completely picture the old Walt, cocky and confident, doing everything he could think of to get the young and not-too-bright Skyler. He was still a research scientist and was still beaming with optimism for his future even after walking away from Gray Matter.

I wish we could see more flashbacks to this period. They would shed more light on what's happening between them right now.

bbobby

bbobby

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 4:37 PM

Ted's reason for tax fraud was to keep the business going and his employees employed. So he had a "good reason", just like Walt. And part of the reason that Skyler was complicit in that crime was that she needed the job to support herself and Holly, since at that point she was planning on divorcing Walt.

I agree with this QueenofCups. I don't think that Skyler has been shown to be the shining beacon of integrity at all, just that she is able to over look things based upon her experience. As the Beneke book keeper, she wasn't thrilled with Ted's decisions, but once she saw the real reasons behind it, she was able to over look the criminality, and even, suggest ways to get away with it.

Once she was able to understand Walt's reasons for cooking, she was able to over look the criminality, and even, suggest ways to get away with it. Hell, she undertook, on her own, the entire plan to launder the money in the car wash!

She is a very practical woman - not some holier-than-thou harpy who can't see past her own moral code. She gets it. It took her a while with Walt, but now, she gets it. And just look how turned on she was once their (HER) plan came to fruition! She is starting to get off on her own "Breaking Bad" self. She likes it. And, it may just come back to bite her in the ass, if she's not thinking straight! She needs to really be thinking two or three steps ahead, and I hope that she does, or it's all going to come crashing down on all of them. I hope she doesn't think that everything is all okay at this point - that may be the one thing that brings everything down at this point - if Skyler herself isn't looking at the bigger picture.

QueenofCups

QueenofCups

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2011 @ 11:39 AM

Skyler really went beyond a bit of moral relativism and fully embraced the meth business. Walt ripped off her blinkers when he told her that he was the predator not the prey. He almost confessed to her right then and there and she decided to stick with him. It will be much harder for her to walk away from him when and if she finds out the details of what Walt has done, because he already told her the kind of person he has become, and she accepted that and stayed with him.

Edited by QueenofCups, Aug 23, 2011 @ 11:41 AM.

scowl

scowl

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 24, 2011 @ 11:46 AM

I wonder if Walt has realized that Skyler has the hots for Heisenberg and that prompted him to reveal that Heisenberg is a scary ruthless criminal. After he did his "I'm am the danger!" speech with her, he looked extra pleased with himself in the shower and seemed to have expected to see Skyler naked on the bed waiting for more hot Heisenberg action.

FLgirl

FLgirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 24, 2011 @ 6:12 PM

I've read back quite a few pages but did not see anything about this, so sorry if this has been answered before. Does anyone know, what's the story behind the braclet that Skyler wore in almost every scene in Season 3? It was a cuff looking braclet. It's driving me crazy and I would love to know.

AuroraAustralis

AuroraAustralis

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2011 @ 8:00 PM

I think someone theorized that her big silver cuff bracelets last season symbolized her being trapped in the situation? Seems reasonable. Maybe they symbolized her own 'breaking bad' with cuffs = criminal? I hadn't noticed she quit wearing them. Interesting. Maybe because as a voluntary partner-in-crime she doesn't feel like the helpless victim of Walt's activities anymore?

FLgirl

FLgirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 25, 2011 @ 1:06 PM

Thanks, Aurora. I really didn't even notice them until I.F.T. and for some reason it clicked and I went back and watched the previous episodes and realized she had worn them all season. I wondered if it had some sort of connection to her affair with Ted (i.e. she was seeing herself as sexier after the affair vs. previously pregnant/Walt's wife, etc.) but tossed that out when I discovered they had been there all season.

By the way, totally nerding out here, but I just have to say that I am beyond thrilled to have found this forum and that others are as fully involved in this show as I am. I love reading about all the various "hidden in plain sight" elements there are (Marie's love of purple for one) and then going back and realizing how many things I missed my previous viewings.

AuntiePam

AuntiePam

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

Thank heaven for DVDs -- I can fast-forward every scene involving Skyler. Skyler is a great character but I can't find anything about her to like.

This post from page one says it best:

I think what grates on me for Skyler is that she seems more preoccupied with roles than people. She is the good mother, when her husband was sick she was the loyal wife, she does what good wives/mothers are supposed to do. But I don't think Skyler and Walt ever connected as individuals.

I've been looking really hard but haven't seen any evidence that Skyler loves Walt. Anna Gunn is a good actress, so if we were was supposed to see affection, I'm pretty sure we'd see it, and I don't see it. It's partly Walt's fault. He sees himself as weak so he assumes Skyler sees himself that way too. When did it start? When things went down with Gray Matter? Did Walt not fight for what was his, or was it really his? Is he inflating his importance?

Anyway, I'm liking Skyler a teensy bit better in S3 and I think it's because of the change in her face. Someone upthread said she had plastic surgery, and it definitely looks like her jaw line is changed. Her face is softer, not from weight gain, but from losing some of that jaw, or having it reshaped, whatever the doctors do. So color me shallow -- a softer look comes across as a softer woman. Not weaker, softer.

(I didn't like her as Martha Bullock either.)

Rex Hamilton

Rex Hamilton

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 29, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

I'm surprised that there's so much animosity towards Skyler. Although I find her a bit annoying, she seems to be an intelligent, practical and caring woman. She stuck with Walter when he was diagnosed with cancer and insisted that he got the best possible care, even though it would financially ruin them and leave her with a mountain of debt and alone to take care of two children if Walter didn't live much longer.

She left him because she felt completely betrayed by his lies and manipulation. When someone you love deceives you over and over again, love can quickly turn to hate. I think she should have been more understanding when he came clean and explained why he went down that path, but then again, after all the lies and manipulation, it's hard to blame her for not forgiving him.

She cheated on Walter because she was furious at him and for his decision to move back in and because she wanted to convince him to sign their divorce papers. Considering everything he had already put her through, it's hard to hate her for doing that.

I also think that Skyler became part of Walter's world partly because she was concerned about him and wanted to be closer to him to keep an eye on him to make sure he'd be safe. I doubt she fully understands the dangerous and volatile world he became part of.

She is annoying though. When she found out that her sister is a shop lifter in denial, she cut her off completely until she received an apology. That's the only time I wished someone would slap her. But apart from that, I think she's a pretty decent woman, a good wife and a good mother. She just needs to be less annoying.

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2012 @ 10:51 PM

My disgusted feelings towards Skylar began in the pilot episode when she berated her husband for being late to his party (he was at work, bitch) and then gave him his present of a handjob while closing an eBay auction. She's just gone downhill from there to me.

rocknrollchic

rocknrollchic

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

Agreed. I kept rooting for them to kill her off in S4. Maybe it can happen in S5.

I hate how high and mighty she is with Walt, but then turns around and cheats on her husband and runs a money laundering car wash. Ugh. Hypocrite!

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

IIRC, she'd already told Walt, her drug dealing husband, that she wanted a divorce and wanted him to move out of the house. The only injured party was Ted, whom she misled because of her anger at Walt.

rocknrollchic

rocknrollchic

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

Fair enough. But it seemed like when she took that job, she knew what she was getting herself into with her former boss.

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

Fair enough. But it seemed like when she took that job, she knew what she was getting herself into with her former boss.

Even though it was goaded, I thought it was particularly clear when she sang "Happy Birthday" to Ted. She was planning that affair way before she left Walt.

I also hated the bitch for smoking while pregnant. I know she was stressed, with the pregnancy, Walt's sickness, the finances and such, but seriously? Your husband has fucking LUNG CANCER and you not only smoke, but do so while pregnant? My wife used to be a smoker, and she said how it always disgusted her when pregnant women would try to bum a cigarette off of her, or come into the service station where she worked and bought a pack. She already has a kid with severe medical issues, and she's risking the health of the kid she's going to have soon?

Anna Gunn is doing one hell of a job by making me loathe her character so much, when it's her husband whose a murderer/kid poisoner/meth manufacturer/thief.

Edited by Myndela, Feb 11, 2012 @ 2:53 PM.

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 3:55 PM

I don't think Skyler was planning to seduce Ted when she went to Beneke for a job. I recall Marie being slightly skeeved out that Skyler went back there. I think Skyler knew or sensed that Ted wanted her, and exploited that for a job; I think she was pretty panicked about money. She seemed to be fishing when she went there, and Ted took the bait. I think Skyler stuck with Ted's fraud because she wanted to keep the job (I suspect Ted paid her whatever she dared to ask), not because she wanted to help Ted. YMMV.

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

Was Ted "Mr. Grabby Hands", or was that his father? Either way, I do think Skylar was planning on seducing him back when she started working for him. I felt that way from the beginning- she is going to end up fucking her boss. Instead, he ended up fucking her over.

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

Also, I'm not an expert on ladybusiness, but is it very likely that a woman 7 or 8 months pregnant would be actively lining up a different man for the future?

I assumed Grabby Hands was Ted. It seems clear to me that Skyler knew that Ted wanted her. The awkward scenes with other employees would be explained pretty well by them knowing that Skyler was cockteasing Ted to get a (pretty good) job, and maybe guessing they were fucking.

IIRC, Walt showed up at Beneke's business after Skyler told him she fucked Ted.

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 4:10 PM

Also, I'm not an expert on ladybusiness, but is it very likely that a woman 7 or 8 months pregnant would be actively lining up a different man for the future?

Never been there myself, so I couldn't tell you. But there were chinks in the armor of the White marriage from the beginning. Tension between the two was getting worse and worse, I think especially after Walt tried for force himself on her in the kitchen. Plus, Skylar seems to like to plan ahead, and I can see that as being part of it. She didn't want to stay with Walt anymore, and was biding her time until his recovery from the surgery to leave him. Plus, of all of the places she could have tried to get a job at, she goes to Beneke first? I understand she has a history there, but with there being a "Mr. Grabby Hands", I think she figured she could easily get her old job back and get with Beneke. I don't know whether she particularly liked Ted or not, but she did like sticking it to Walt. Just my take on things, though.

ETA she also seemed to like the idea of money and financial security, and I think she thought Ted could give her some of that. Remember, she only started getting along with Walt again because of his money.

Edited by Myndela, Feb 11, 2012 @ 4:12 PM.

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 4:21 PM

Whatever ideas Skyler may have had about financial security were blown away by doing Ted's books, which was before she actually fucked him.

of all of the places she could have tried to get a job at, she goes to Beneke first?

I'm thinking that a job would be hard for a woman to get who is obviously 7 or 8 months pregnant unless it were a place she already has an in.

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 4:29 PM

Whatever ideas Skyler may have had about financial security were blown away by doing Ted's books, which was before she actually fucked him.

I know that, but I still think she was aiming for the job for the Ted angle. Plus, she helped him cook his books, and enjoyed sharing in his ill-gotten gains when she slept at his house. (The nice shower, the heated floor.) I think that's why she ended up somewhat reconciling with Walt. She can bitch and moan all she wants about how she was roped into it all, but she does like the money and I think deep down, she doesn't care where it came from as long as she won't get in trouble.

Like I said, it's just my take on the situation is all. I got my wife hooked and we watched the first three seasons on DVD over Labor Day weekend. When she got the Beneke job, she said "Skylar's totally going to sleep with that guy, isn't she." I think that Skylar is a bit of a scamming snake herself, which is why she and Walt are kind of good for each other. (Or at least somewhat compatible.) It's also why she protested about the books, but slept with Ted anyway. I think it's all a show. The main problem she has with the meth is how it has the potential to make them a huge target to other criminals, and the violence it could bring to their home. Other than that, she likes the money, she likes now being her own boss and owning the car wash, she liked the champagne despite her whining about the price. I think she wants it all.

Edited by Myndela, Feb 11, 2012 @ 4:29 PM.

Nanrad

Nanrad

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

Custody is awarded on the best available option for the children. Walt's feelings aren't material to the best custody arrangement, and it's accepted that couples at the end of an "irretrievably broken" marriage may say or do cruel things.

One thing that works against males is that unless you have a good lawyer, it seems that most of the time custody goes to the mother. But, there have been cases that I've heard of where infidelity (have didn't impact the parenting) led to a judge favoring one parent over another. I know this is moot now, but thought I would just comment about it.

Another poster mentioned that Walt corrupted Jess and I would say yes and no. Jesse was already corrupted because he was already in the meth business which is why Walt sought him out. Walt further corrupted Jesse by forcing him to kill.

I think it is one thing to teach your child a lesson and another to try to teach your spouse one. I think Skyler should have been upfront with Walt and if he didn't comply, then kick him out. I definitely didn't like her smoking while pregnant or acting as if Walt was suddenly a bad father because he cooked. What I mean by bad is that he would corrupt his children. Even with the Ted situation, I understand that she wanted to hurt Walt, but she shouldn't have done it. Hurting Walt didn't and doesn't change that he cooks.

I've never hated her, but I did dislike her at times. Just even with the cancer issue. Yes, it sucks that your husband might die and you are pregnant and have a kid with CP and are struggling financially, but guess how he feels? It did seem as if she made the cancer about her. But, I will say that I truly felt for her when she started crying in front of everyone (the day everyone found of that Walt had cancer).

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 2:06 PM

I think the show went to some lengths to show why Skyler couldn't 'kick Walt out.' She could get rid of Walt by telling what she knows to put him in jail, but as a routine divorce Walt has rights. Except for the detail of Walt being a criminal who is putting his family in danger and making them complicit, there's no practical reason why Walt Jr should be moved out of the house or change schools, and she can't put Walt Jr under her arm like the baby and leave town. If nothing else, eventually he'll find a phone and call his father, who will come and offer him a ride back to Albuquerque. Walt Jr likes and respects his father, and Skyler's behavior confuses him.

Edited by thatguy01, Mar 28, 2012 @ 2:09 PM.

LevitateMe

LevitateMe

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

It did seem as if she made the cancer about her.

I think she wants it all.

Notice a theme??? Skylar is a manipulative, self-centered, sanctimonious and incredibly flawed person. She does want it all. She's the dog on a bridge who wants the bones on both ends. She loves the money and the power Walt's new profession gives her, but she's sanctimonious about how he earns it-- the same woman who most definitely thought she was working Ted over (funny how she missed that she was the one getting fucked) from the moment she walked in the door @ Beneke, she totally knew what she was getting into, in the ep before she interviews you see her looking at a picture of her and Ted wistfully in not yet born Holly's nursery. She wasn't smart enough to ask exactly how much money she would be laundering and even had to look up laundering on wikipedia yet insists to Saul she knows all about it.... unless money laundering literally means putting money in space saver laundry bags (and then giving it away), her version of knowing what that is is like me saying I have gone running before, so therefore I'm totally ok to do a marathon. She wasn't smart enough to catch on to the fact that the amounts of money he was giving her to launder equated to serious and real danger for her whole family until Walt cracked up in Crawl Space, by which time it was already too late. She overestimates her own abilities in just about every way (other than acting, I would say that is definitely her strong suit). I think her and Walt make perfect sense as a couple because she's probably always been this way, at the beginning of their relationship she thought she found a hot shot and enjoyed acting the part of the young cute thing on the arm of an up and comer, but as they got pregnant/married and he turned out to not be such a hot shot she enjoyed being the one in power. I think a lot of her uncomfortability with Walt's illness and his profession is not over concern for him, it's over lack of control for her.

Anna Gunn is doing one hell of a job by making me loathe her character so much, when it's her husband whose a murderer/kid poisoner/meth manufacturer/thief.

ITA.

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 5:50 PM

Notice a theme??? Skylar is a manipulative, self-centered, sanctimonious and incredibly flawed person. She does want it all. She's the dog on a bridge who wants the bones on both ends.

Skylar is the woman with a Virginia ham under each arm who is crying because she hasn't any bread.

dolley

dolley

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

I am rewatching seasons 1 - 3 in anticipation of season 4's DVD release (no cable at the dollhouse). There's lots to be said for watching again -- so much more humor, so much more pathos, so much more understanding of what's going on, especially with Skyler. I had little love for her the first time I watched the show. But now, now that I can see what's happening to her marriage and her relationship with Walt through her eyes, I have a lot of sympathy for her. Her terminally ill (as far as they know at that point) husband is becoming distant and disappears for hours on end, behaves like a crazy man (the party where he gets Walt Jr. drunk and breaks aggressive with Hank), and is generally slipping away from her. It's worth watching the show a second, even third time.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

Notice a theme??? Skylar is a manipulative, self-centered, sanctimonious and incredibly flawed person. She does want it all. She's the dog on a bridge who wants the bones on both ends. She loves the money and the power Walt's new profession gives her, but she's sanctimonious about how he earns it-- the same woman who most definitely thought she was working Ted over (funny how she missed that she was the one getting fucked) from the moment she walked in the door @ Beneke, she totally knew what she was getting into, in the ep before she interviews you see her looking at a picture of her and Ted wistfully in not yet born Holly's nursery. She wasn't smart enough to ask exactly how much money she would be laundering and even had to look up laundering on wikipedia yet insists to Saul she knows all about it.... unless money laundering literally means putting money in space saver laundry bags (and then giving it away), her version of knowing what that is is like me saying I have gone running before, so therefore I'm totally ok to do a marathon. She wasn't smart enough to catch on to the fact that the amounts of money he was giving her to launder equated to serious and real danger for her whole family until Walt cracked up in Crawl Space, by which time it was already too late. She overestimates her own abilities in just about every way (other than acting, I would say that is definitely her strong suit). I think her and Walt make perfect sense as a couple because she's probably always been this way, at the beginning of their relationship she thought she found a hot shot and enjoyed acting the part of the young cute thing on the arm of an up and comer, but as they got pregnant/married and he turned out to not be such a hot shot she enjoyed being the one in power. I think a lot of her uncomfortability with Walt's illness and his profession is not over concern for him, it's over lack of control for her

Thats a pretty good summary

She just really doesn't think things through all the way. I think at one point last season, I forget the situation, but she tells Walt he could just go to the police for help. She was either completely naive about how serious the situation was and completely underestimating the nature of the people they are involved in business with OR she is incapable of thinking through reasonable solutions to problems.

She wants to be involved in Walt's business and thinks of herself as shrewd and helpful, but in reality her being involved is more a hinderance to him than anything. And it has been since she became more and more involved.

Walt thinks more long term and seems to have a better grasp of the overall situation they are in, but he is a much bigger risk taker than Skylar.

Skylar is pretty risk averse overall, but she seems to completely screw up situations she tries to place herself in. Like buying Junior the car.

Edited by HickoryColt, May 12, 2012 @ 9:10 AM.