Jesse Pinkman: Yo!

• Please log in to reply

421 replies to this topic

LevitateMe

LevitateMe

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

That's interesting Marioninnyc. Can definitely see how the Problem Dog monologue seems like it was set up for Emmy consideration. But to me it is just so emotionally raw, its really hits a nerve on the topic of "you have to forgive yourself to move on" but we all know that for Jesse and the NA leader there are things they have done that possibly you can't ever truly forgive yourself for, ever-- that paradox, his calling them on BS on that, I just thought was very powerful and the first honest verbal expression of where Jesse's head was really at post-Gale. The whole "you're nothing but customers" thing was just this embodiment of such a scary nihilist mindset that Jesse was stuck in at the time. Maybe in isolation it wouldn't carry the same weight though, I agree w you that his performance throughout the season is outstanding. However I'm now much less worried that he would lose to Dinklage now and more worried he will lose to Gus... don't get me wrong I loved Gus and GE's performance, but I don't even see how its close to as good as Aaron Paul's (apologies in advance for those who disagree).

Otherwise ITA that without Mr. White Jesse would have likely ended up in one of two places: jail/low-level drug lifestyle, or (I think much more likely) he would have eventually gotten his act together and ended up in a constructive profession that didn't involve bombs or ricin or constant threats of death. I can see him being a kid who slipped thru the cracks possibly because of a learning disability and parents who didn't know how to handle anything less than a perfect child. Speaking of which I'm kind of hoping to see his little bro again in S5.

backhometome

backhometome

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 3:33 PM

Im rooting for Aaron in the Emmys this year. :) I thought he was the better performer for the whole season out of him and G.E. But if he has to loose to anyone I would much rather it be G.E. than anyone else. That is if they both get nominated.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 2:35 PM

Jesse was really on top of his shit in the season premiere--leading Walt to Mike, taking the lead in persuading him and keeping he and Walt from killing each other, coming up with the magnet idea, knowing when Walt was pushing too far. He's grown up so much, even if he still likes to celebrate by screaming "Yeah, bitch!"

Chained Melody

Chained Melody

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 2:45 PM

I am pleasantly surprised how much more intelligent Jesse seems in season four and five than early in the series. Besides the magnets idea, Jesse was also totally right about how he lost the ricin cigarette. I would like to think his sobriety plays some role in his seemingly new found clearheadedness. But Jesse has always been pretty imaginative, too. Nice to see them taking his input seriously for a change.

SimplyS

SimplyS

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

Im rooting for Aaron in the Emmys this year. :) I thought he was the better performer for the whole season out of him and G.E. But if he has to loose to anyone I would much rather it be G.E. than anyone else. That is if they both get nominated.

The only thing I think will tilt it toward GE is that he won't get another shot at an Emmy for the role of Gus (and Paul's also only a "supporting" actor in name only at this point, but pretty much all shows submit their secondary leads that way because they've got a better shot at winning, so it's not like he's not up against a similar field). But, even before it's aired, I can't imagine Paul not getting another nomination out of BE's run. I can't see how they won't both get nominated. Paul's work on this show just keeps getting better.

Edited by SimplyS, Jul 16, 2012 @ 4:02 PM.

MissPrism

MissPrism

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 4:02 PM

What is the tattoo on Jesse's right hand?

Chained Melody

Chained Melody

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

Link to Vulture interview

I just read an interview about those tattooes the other day. Jesse's wrist tattoo is a Celtic scorpion.

Edited by Chained Melody, Jul 17, 2012 @ 4:06 PM.

Xbones

Xbones

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 5:19 PM

Nice interview, I thought the tattoos might have been real.

MissPrism

MissPrism

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 5:43 PM

From what I've read about Aaron, I don't think he would have permanent tattoos because they could get in the way of being cast for some roles.

Chained Melody

Chained Melody

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 6:22 PM

Aaron Paul and his fiancee did have tiny little tattooes put on their ring fingers, he showed it on his last Conan appearance - they're the EKG or whatever of their heartbeats. But it is so small, it would be easy to cover up.

I need to stop reading so many Breaking Bad interviews. This is too much to know about anyone.

MissPrism

MissPrism

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

I need to stop reading so many Breaking Bad interviews. This is too much to know about anyone.

I know what you mean; I feel like a stalker. I read that interview, too, and if memory serves me correctly, the tattoos are on the underside of their fingers.

Edited by MissPrism, Jul 23, 2012 @ 5:01 AM.

Cuppiediva

Cuppiediva

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

Jesse is breaking my heart this season..I just want to wrap him up in a soft blanket, take him home and make him some soup and cookies..his opening scene tonight was wrenching. Aaron Paul is an amazing actor and totally deserves an Emmy for his outstanding work...

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

This season has been pretty Jesse-light so far, but the writers and Aaron sure as hell have made the most of what time they've had for him, both comedically and dramatically.

backhometome

backhometome

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

I hope it gets more Jesse heavy later on. But that scene last night with Walt tore my heart out. AP is amazing.

JMargolis

JMargolis

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 27, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

While I agree with Vince Gilligan that Aaron Paul's exceptional acting skill is the reason that everyone loves Jesse, I don't think that's all of it.

I knew those guys. Badger and Skinny and Combo and even Emilio and Krazy 8- I knew guys like all of them. I am one year older than Aaron Paul, but nearly ten years older than what I think these guys are supposed to be (25ish). Considering, though, that this show is set in the not-too-distant past, they are close to being my contemporaries. The writing is good for all of them; the acting is even better. Most media portrayals of drug dealers or young male delinquents focus so hard on them being bad dudes that they miss that these guys are most often goofballs. Most of them don't do well in school, which is how they end up slanging, and that is a very people oriented trade. You have to be funny and witty and charming to be successful. And most people get into drugs because they love to party, they love to have fun. The conversations about zombie video games and the cracking wise at the museum and the Michelin Man antics in the superlab- these are all things that rang exceptionally true to me.

Jesse, is, of course, they keystone character of all these miscreants. And while it is because AP is phenomenal, I don't think we should overlook the very on-point and nuanced characters that the writers gave all these guys to play.

Sabine Lavine

Sabine Lavine

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 29, 2012 @ 7:06 PM

I agree, JMargolis. The scene where Jesse takes the guys to the strip club after Walt gives him cash for the RV is one of my favorites of the whole series. They may be drug dealers, but they're fun, sweet guys at heart.

backhometome

backhometome

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

I cant believe that its only been a year in the shows timeline. Think about all the crap Jesse has been through in a year:

Got shot at by Krazy 8
Flushed a dead body down his tub
Beat up by Tuco
Kidnapped by crazy Tuco
combo dying
waking up to his dead girlfriends body
going to rehab
Murdering Gale
Brock being poisoned
Going to Mexico with Gus and killing another someone

Like how is Jesse not in a mental institution by now. How can someone go through all that in only a year and still be able to function. Its crazy.

littlespooge

littlespooge

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 1, 2012 @ 4:09 AM

Hey, you didn't even include Jesse getting beaten senseless by a DEA agent, Jesse watching a guy get his head crushed by an ATM machine, Jesse almost getting gunned down by two drug dealers who get smeared by Walt's car, Jesse watching Victor get his throat slashed open and then having to dispose of his body. The list goes on. I'm not sure how he's coped. I'd have needed therapy just after falling into that port-a-potty.

how is Jesse not in a mental institution by now.

It could still happen. Certainly if Jesse becomes aware of the extent of Walt's lies, betrayals and manipulations he'd probably suffer an emotional breakdown worse than Skylers. Sadly a mental institution seems like the best of many bad possible endings for Jesse. It seems like it's either that or Jesse ending up in jail or Jesse ending up dead. Unless there's still hope for Jesse seeking federal witness protection before the end.

Edited by littlespooge, Aug 1, 2012 @ 4:10 AM.

LevitateMe

LevitateMe

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2012 @ 8:25 AM

From Walt/Jesse relationship thread

I have to admit I have next to no sympathy for Jesse's asshole parents. They wanted their perfect son. Instead they got an actual human being, who they couldn't deal with, which fucked up Jesse for life. Now, they have their next kid, who they also plan on treating as their perfect son, and they're just fucking him up, too. It's not an accident both their kids hate them.

I'm not saying I fully understand Jesse's parents, but they actually seemed like very realistic characters to me and their reaction to Jesse's afflictions (maybe he should go to the group at the Presbyterian church? seriously that is something my mom would say) seemed honestly like something real people would say in that situation, particularly real people who have been through this with their child multiple times and it hasn't seemed to make any difference. I don't think it's an easy choice, either enabling your drug-addicted child to further self-destruct in your home/a home you own (Aunt Jenny's) or let them hit rock bottom and hope it turns out good and not awfully. Jesse's parents chose the latter-- and it was harsh, but this is not an easy situation for parents to deal with and personally I could feel the pain Jesse's mother expressed when she evicted him knowing that it might lead to homelessness, his death, etc. So I don't think Jesse's parents are assholes. I just think they don't know what to do and are clueless as to how their own behavior might have contributed to Jesse's problems. That being said of course as a Jesse lover him getting the house back, and pulling one over on the parents was one of the more awesome plot flips in BB. And something tells me we will see Jesse's parents and maybe his brother too again before it's all said and done.

On Jesse's mental state given everything he has been through in the past just under a year- I certainly hope Jesse doesn't suffer a Skyleresque breakdown, but I do think Jesse underwent a big change last season which we are seeing this season. Jesse prior to being mentored by Mike/Gus would have certainly gone back to drugs if he were to break down. I mean he already had and was post-Gale. He would certainly ultimately end up in a place not unlike where Walt dragged him out of after Jane's death, or dead in a house full of hobos. But now, I think Jesse is stronger than that. It remains to be seen whether without the outside support system of Andrea and Brock (and his likely soon to be dead friends Badger and Skinny P) he can stay that strong, but it does seem like he has something he didn't used to this season... he knows that he adds real value to operations (Pollos, the kill Gus plan, now the Pest cooking). He knows this, he doesn't need someone to tell him or give him a pat on the back. I think this puts Jesse in a much better position to deal with the truth, when/if he ever finds it out, in a way that is not self-destructive. But wanting Jesse to live in the end, I'm rooting for federal witness protection- I don't think jail is a safe place for him to be (no chow line shankings for Jesse please).

Sister Magpie

Sister Magpie

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

I don't think it's an easy choice, either enabling your drug-addicted child to further self-destruct in your home/a home you own (Aunt Jenny's) or let them hit rock bottom and hope it turns out good and not awfully. Jesse's parents chose the latter-- and it was harsh, but this is not an easy situation for parents to deal with and personally I could feel the pain Jesse's mother expressed when she evicted him knowing that it might lead to homelessness, his death, etc. So I don't think Jesse's parents are assholes.

Yeah, I don't feel like we know what happened there. It's possible that the reason his parents seem to want his brother to be perfect is because they're desperately trying to micro-manage everything in his life so that he doesn't turn out like Jesse, aimlessly doing drugs. We didn't see the backstory of their family, and the fact is Jesse was using houses for cooking meth, which is possibly a parents' nightmare. We know when Jesse is clean and needing to know he's loved, but from his parents pov he may have looked like the many other times he showed up and, in typical addict fashion, used them and went away. We just rarely see Jesse in selfish addict mode, but we know he had it--the flashback to the way they got the RV was a good example. An addict who'd been untrustworthy over and over wouldn't really have any right to be offended when Dad doesn't recognize that he's clean this time.

I mean, it could be that his parents put too much pressure on him, but it's hard to tell what was expected of him and how he responded. While stress and emotional problems can definitely fuel drug addiction, he probably also just really liked getting high.

I also can't help but think of Jane's dad, for instance. He tried to show Jane trust, but the minute she let Jesse move in she proved she was on her way back to using. If her dad had been harder on her and forced her to go to rehab immediately she would still be alive. Instead he treated her with just a bit more respect and that was the night it killed her. We've known Jesse the year he's been put in a crucible that really showed what he was made of, but his parents don't know that. They probably know just the Jesse whose preference for drugs over anything else ruled his life.

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2012 @ 3:27 PM

I don't blame Jesse's parents for kicking him out, but I do dislike them for denying anything that was good in him. Tough love means not enabling a person's addiction and cutting off contact with them when contact is toxic to your own life and the life of other family members. It doesn't include forgetting everything decent and caring about the person who was once part of your family, so that you don't have to care about them anymore. It certainly doesn't include stealing from them.

Jesse's parents were in a bad position, but nobody forced them to take Jesse's home from him, and nobody made them tell lies aobut him, i.e. that he never really loved his aunt and just pretended to in order to get the inheritance that should have gone to them. Jesse's many flaws do not include an inability to love and he's not particularly greedy. He's their son and Jesse's parents must know that about him. Their conduct speaks to their own personalities and values, and what it says about them isn't good.

LevitateMe

LevitateMe

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

Jesse's parents were in a bad position, but nobody forced them to take Jesse's home from him, and nobody made them tell lies aobut him, i.e. that he never really loved his aunt and just pretended to in order to get the inheritance that should have gone to them. Jesse's many flaws do not include an inability to love and he's not particularly greedy. He's their son and Jesse's parents must know that about him. Their conduct speaks to their own personalities and values, and what it says about them isn't good.

Respectfully I do not think this is a fully informed view. You never know about family dynamics, they are very wierd, emotion often trumps reason. I thought it seemed clear there was a problem btwn Jesse's mom and his deceased aunt (from when Jesse told his mom that she wasn't around when his aunt was sick). We don't know what their issue was. Some of that dynamic could have seeped into the relationship btwn Jesse and his mom. That might affect their not recognizing his devotion to her, which seems obvious to us as the audience.

I also don't blame his parents for taking the house back once they realized a meth lab was set up in a house they legally own, they could have been criminally charged for that! They didn't realize they were doing it at the worst possible time, that's just the way it rolls in BB world. I agree with Sister Magpie that we have never seen Jesse in the light that his parents probably did for quite some time and there is likely massive history there we aren't aware of. I'm not saying his parents are angels.... but I don't think we can infer too much about who they are from what we have seen as of yet.

littlespooge

littlespooge

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 1, 2012 @ 5:26 PM

I also can't help but think of Jane's dad, for instance. He tried to show Jane trust, but the minute she let Jesse move in she proved she was on her way back to using. If her dad had been harder on her and forced her to go to rehab immediately she would still be alive.

I don't think Jane's dad should be blamed. I think he did the very best he could for his daughter, trying to give her independence and responsibility, while also checking up on her and insisting that she keep going to NA meetings. He never gave up on his child and I'm sure Jane betrayed his trust as often as Jesse lied to or let down his parents. Jesse may still be alive but that's hardly thanks to his parents supposed 'tough love' approach. Jesse could have been killed about a dozen times over in the last year and not just due to drug abuse like Jane, but the many times that Jesse has almost been violently murdered. I think the thing I find sad is that Jesse's parents never seem concerned about their son's safety or well being. Jane's dad was worried sick over her even when she disappointed him. The Pinkmans have truly given up on Jesse. That's not tough love. He's simply a ghost to them, one that they don't wish to be haunted by. The only time his mother went to check up on Jesse was when Hank got her worried that Jesse was doing something illegal in the house they owned.

LevitateMe

LevitateMe

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

littlespooge (great name BTW!) I think your point about Jane's dad not being to blame is excellent and spot-on but it illustrates the point here too. There is no "right" way to handle this situation as parents. Jane's dad did everything that you are supposed to and look how it turned out. Jesse's parents for all we know were like Jane's dad at a point-- in the ep where he's staying @ their house, they mention rehab again, so it does seem they made several attempts to help him prior to us meeting Jesse. I'm not sure what the technical definition of tough love is but I do think that sometimes it might involve totally cutting yourself off from your drug addicted child if it gets to the point where any contact with them is somehow enabling them. I also don't know why I'm the apologist for Jesse's parents because they do seem clueless and weird but I also don't think it's fair to say that Jesse's mom went over to his house only because Hank scared her that he might be up to something illegal on their property. I felt during that conversation that she was honestly concerned for her son's welfare but at the same time confounded by their current relationship or lack thereof and Jesse's addictions, so afterwards she went over to the house (I thought to check on him), where she then found the lab.

Sister Magpie

Sister Magpie

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

Oh, I didn't mean to suggest that Jane's dad was responsible for her death--quite the opposite. The poor guy was obviously desperately trying to figure out what he could do to fix her, but he didn't have that power. Jane had more power over her life than anyone else, plus there was just bad luck. She could have died any time when she got high. It was impossible for her father to know what would happen, and for all we know if he'd been tougher on her she might have died another way.

Basically, I feel the same way LevitateMe does--it's not that I think Jesse's parents are right or that all the ways they are with Jesse are justified, but given his history I don't think their impression of them is necessarily all about them being heartless or not caring about him. Jesse probably didn't want to hurt his parents, but addicts often do hurt people--or manipulate them to get money, for instance. In retaliation for his parents taking the house, Jesse stole it back from them in a way. To us that was a satisfying revenge, but I'm not sure Jesse saw it that way. It felt to me like it was part of his "I'm the bad guy and I accept that" attitude at the time, that he felt like he was living down to his parents contempt for him--but also being what he really was.

His brother, after all, feels that Jesse is his parents' favorite because he's all they talk about. That's not unusual in families with an addict. We don't know what they're saying about him, but it definitely sounds like they're very concerned about what he's doing even if they refuse to show it to him. I suspect that if we knew his parents better we'd definitely see a lot of flaws in the way they treated him, but we'd also see flaws in the way he acted with them.

littlespooge

littlespooge

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 2, 2012 @ 4:57 AM

I suspect that if we knew his parents better we'd definitely see a lot of flaws in the way they treated him, but we'd also see flaws in the way he acted with them.

Yes, I agree, our sympathies are skewed because we only see this situation from Jesse's perspective. Even then we do see the flaws on Jesse's side. Jesse does lie to his parents, claiming he's looking into business school or working towards getting a job when he's trying to get into their good books. We know it's all a sham and Jesse is just telling his parents what he thinks they want to hear. In 'Cancer Man' his parents still seem very torn between fondness for Jesse and their disapproval and mistrust of him. They've kept all Jesse's childhood drawings framed in his old bedroom like a shrine commemorating a time when they really did love this kid. They couldn't bring themselves to throw Jesse out when he was meekly setting the dinner table and even when they insisted he leave over the weed they were both crying as Jesse walked out the door. I think it's been established that Jesse's parents have tried and tried in the past. I admire Jane's dad more because he never gave up but then Jane was an only child. As Jake said, the Pinkmans were so preoccupied with Jesse that their younger son felt like he came second, despite all his hard work and achievements. It could be argued that at some point the Pinkmans needed to devote themselves solely to raising Jake and keep Jesse out of their lives to stop him being a bad influence. We know that Jesse was somewhat misjudged in this case - Jesse destroyed his little brother's joint and probably would've tried to keep the kid out of trouble. But I can't blame his parents for judging otherwise.

I also don't think it's fair to say that Jesse's mom went over to his house only because Hank scared her that he might be up to something illegal on their property. I felt during that conversation that she was honestly concerned for her son's welfare

I thought the same thing on first viewing, but then his mother never did ask why Jesse had been missing for several days. Sure she had no idea that Jesse had been kidnapped by a deranged violent drug dealer and that making Jesse homeless after that ordeal seemed like a callous act of kicking him when he was down. The Pinkmans are clueless mostly because (unlike Jane's dad and Skyler) they don't even ask Jesse questions about where he's been and what he's mixed up in. Which could be because they want to block it out or (to be fair) maybe they know that Jesse would only lie to them if they did ask. Jesse is as bad as Walt in the sense that he can't admit when he's in over his head. That said, I did find the Pinkmans evicting Jesse somewhat opportunistic. If it was a choice between calling the cops on Jesse or tossing Jesse out on the streets, I think the former option might have been better. Putting your druggie son out on the streets isn't any sort of good basis for him to turn his life around. Jesse was either going to die or turn to crime to survive and surely they must've known that. Jane's dad last desperate 'tough love' act was to almost call the cops on Jane and have her get sober in a jail cell. But then, if the Pinkmans had turned Jesse in, the police would've seized Aunt Jenny's house. I did get the feeling that in the end, the parents were more focused on selling that house and using the profits to send Jake to space camp.

it could be that his parents put too much pressure on him, but it's hard to tell what was expected of him and how he responded.

I think we can fill in the blanks without any character being totally in the right or in the wrong. Jesse's parents most likely did have high expectations for their son which Jesse struggled to meet. We know Jesse isn't stupid and that under Mr White's practical tuition Jesse has been able to achieve great (albeit highly criminal) things. Jesse may have had an undiagnosed learning disability that caused him to flounder in reading and written work. Jesse is far more successful when he learns through careful practice, like the perfect box he made in shop class. But beyond Jesse's educational difficulties, there's the fact that Jesse is a social animal and he's very easily led. We have seen Jesse cave into peer pressure when his friends come around wanting to get high and Jesse has allowed Walt to bully him into all kinds of dangerous criminal acts that he didn't really want to do. Jesse was probably the same way in school and as a result he likely got drawn into drugs very young. Once his parents had a second infant son to care for their best option was to move their druggie teenage son to his aunts house. We don't know much about Aunt Jenny but she may not have been the best parental figure either. If she was unmarried, childless and in poor health, then she might have just turned a blind eye to Jesse's drug use just so she had a willing caretaker in the house. I don't think Jesse was lying when he said his parents weren't there for Jenny through her illness. His mother didn't deny that accusation. But then while Jenny might have appreciated Jesse's help and company, it seems she still didn't trust him enough to officially leave him the house in her will.

I do wonder if we'll see Jesse's parents again (I assume we won't see Jake since the actor will have aged too much to fit the shows time span). If Jesse ends up in jail before the end, I wonder if they'd visit him. I'd love Jesse's parents to find out what kind of an influence good old Mr White has been on their son.

Edited by littlespooge, Aug 2, 2012 @ 1:38 PM.

bestever

bestever

Posted Aug 2, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

Wow! So many great responses and discussion surrounding the parents and dealing with an addict child. You guys are spot on, I love it. It's so true, like LevitateMe said, how there is just no "right" way to deal with a situation like the Pinkman's had. I can't imagine the pain and frustration of dealing with an addict child. I can sympathize as a parent how difficult it truly would be (my kids are little still, so the teenage years lie ahead...yikes!). When your children are born, all the best lies ahead and all your hopes and dreams go into that little bundle. Especially if you're a type A, successful person who's never had a drug problem yourself...dealing with an addict would be very perplexing and hard to know what the right thing to do is. Like others have said, Jane's dad never gave up on her (which is admirable) and yet she still had a bad end. Did he enable her by not forcing her to grow up and come to a healthy drug-free existence on her own terms? He went with her to all her NA meetings and checked on her constantly, which really didn't force her to want to do this on her own and actually led to her resenting him for it. Very very tough situation. Family dynamics are so complicated and ruled by emotion...we don't always do what's right even if we know what the right thing to do is!

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 2, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

I think that Jesse's aunt was probably trying to do the best for her troubled nephew. She didn't leave him the house directly - since he could sell it and use it for drug money. She gave him the use of it, in trust, so that he would never be homeless when his parents kicked him out. To be fair to the rest of the family, the proceeds of its eventual sale when to Jesse's parents. It was meant to be a refuge - a place of safety. The Pinkmans took that refuge away from him, because he didn't deserve it. They disregarded his aunt's well-thought-out intentions, because they wanted to invest the money in his brother - an investment they had concluded was more likely to pay dividends in the future.

That said, I did find the Pinkmans evicting Jesse somewhat opportunistic. If it was a choice between calling the cops on Jesse or tossing Jesse out on the streets, I think the former option might have been better. Putting your druggie son out on the streets isn't any sort of good basis for him to turn his life around.

Their options here are all tough. The criminal justice system isn't great at rehabilition either. I'd have understood them calling the police on Jesse and respected them for it. Not sure that Jesse would though.

But then, if the Pinkmans had turned Jesse in, the police would've seized Aunt Jenny's house. I did get the feeling that in the end, the parents were more focused on selling that house and using the profits to send Jake to space camp.

I'm uncertain that the police could have taken away the house legally; it didn't actually belong to Jesse at that point. He only had the use of it in trust. The owner (the trust that the Pinkmans controlled) didn't commit the crime. The Pinkmans would want to consult a good lawyer.

Edited by Lollia Pollina, Aug 2, 2012 @ 12:39 PM.

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Aug 2, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

The Pinkmans would want to consult a good lawyer.

The guy who got his ass handed to him by Saul Goodman? :-)

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 2, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

The guy who got his ass handed to him by Saul Goodman? :-)

No, a good lawyer. :-)