Jerseylicious

• Please log in to reply

824 replies to this topic

jackiecarr

jackiecarr

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2010 @ 10:25 PM

Takes place at the Gatsby salon in Green Brook, NJ and is apparently aiming to be "Jersey Shore" of hair salons.

Another Dish of Reality Television Is Served on a New Jersey Plate

Frankie has taught me that you really do need a cute face and/or great body to carry off the blowout (Gotti boy/Pauly D hair). 'Cause otherwise...

Edited by jackiecarr, Mar 22, 2010 @ 9:51 AM.

poguemom

poguemom

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2010 @ 1:27 AM

Oh, wow! Are these people for real??? I have truly never seen people that look, talk, or act like this in my life. I always thought that the things I've seen on tv were exaggerated.....of course, I'm from the South, and we have lots of people that really do act like Larry the Cable Guy, so maybe I have no room to judge.....

superboy

superboy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2010 @ 3:37 AM

I actually worked on this show in the production office here in LA (I didn't go to Jersey when they were filming though) and all I can say is that I hope it does well cause I know how much hard work went into it by everyone involved.

It's honestly my favorite show that I've worked on that I don't mind watching again and again. Personally, I find it kind of hilarious.

kacesq

kacesq

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2010 @ 8:02 AM

I enjoyed it. I went in with very low expectations, lol. The "Glam Fairy" chick? If she approached me looking the way she does, with the overdone makeup and the visible roots and bad hair, I'd doubt I'd book her. She really had no room to judge Olivia. Also, Tracy? I prefer my reality show villains to be less obvious. Seriously, all the talking heads of her specifically stating her evil plans for the season were annoying.

maitai

maitai

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2010 @ 10:19 AM

Are these people for real???

No, they can't be real, they just....people do not act that way, right? I mean, I'm from Northern NJ and I don't know anyone who speaks or acts like that. That "scene" with Gigi at her boyfriend's house was straight out of Saturday Night fever...the father in the wifebeater, smoking a cigarette yelling at his wife to get dinner on the table, c'mon. No, just no. Don't get me wrong, this is hysterical! I'll watch just for the sheer ignorance of these people. I have to say, too, that I would NEVER get my hair or makeup done by any of these girls who all look so out of touch with the current trends in hair or makeup. Tracy looked like she had some kind of mullet going on and Olivia with the freakin' tan and bronzer and horrible lipstick. Do these people not look in a mirror before they go out...oh, no that's right, they get ready in the car.

I prefer my reality show villains to be less obvious

I completely agree. I wonder if she realizes how horrible she comes off...no, of course not. She probably revels in it. Don't like her.

Can't wait for the next episode! LOL!!

DedicatedFan

DedicatedFan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2010 @ 2:06 PM

According to my local newspaper, this show is not real and is completely phony-baloney.

http://www.nj.com/bu...state_of_r.html

I have never gone to the Gatsby Salon, and I did not watch "Jerseylicious," but the newspaper article claims that the salon is full of ordinary stylists and customers during the daytime, and the show is filmed only at night, when people who were hired just to be on the show are seen. According to the article, they were hired just to spice up the show, because it seems that a salon, even one in New Jersey, isn't wacky or crazy enough on its own to be the subject of a reality show. Since I didn't see the show, I have no idea if the clients were genuine or people who were paid to pretend to be clients just so that there would be a wacky show. After you read the article, you can judge for yourselves if you think this show is an accurate portrayal of the Gatsby Salon (whose owner said that she applied to be on the show just for the publicity) and its employees.

lorrgeno

lorrgeno

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2010 @ 2:32 PM

I moved down to Fl 8 yrs ago from the tri state area. Is Miz Shelia's House of Hooch Wear the new style up north. Not that they are fashionable here in Brevard County but I'll take the stretch pants and tee shirts over tight, ill fitting leopard dresses any time.
Have to say this is my new favorite show.

kacesq

kacesq

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2010 @ 3:18 PM

Since I didn't see the show, I have no idea if the clients were genuine or people who were paid to pretend to be clients just so that there would be a wacky show.

It was abundantly clear to me last night that much - if not all - of this was staged. There was way too much grandstanding and behavior that wouldn't be tolerated in 90% of this country's salons. The owners seemed very normal though...

Edited by kacesq, Mar 22, 2010 @ 3:30 PM.

shopper gal

shopper gal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2010 @ 7:04 PM

Well - what reality show isn't fake. I have to say reading the article Dedicated Fan posted was eye opening. To be so blantant about the lack of reality.

That being said - I give this a season pass on the DVR.

The owners seem normal and I liked Snookie II/ Glam Fairy/ Gigi.

A little googling and I must say Glam Fairy's website and Gatsby Salon were both impressive.

Tracy - I 2nd the notion that she needs to take Reality Show Villian class..maybe they offer one at the Learning Annex.

Edited by shopper gal, Mar 22, 2010 @ 7:05 PM.

DedicatedFan

DedicatedFan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2010 @ 8:46 PM

From the article, I had a strong feeling the whole thing was staged. Although I haven't watched "Jerseylicious," I intend to watch it tomorrow to confirm my suspicions. As soon as I started to read the article, I had my doubts, since it said that Olivia was shown on her way to be interviewed for a job at Gatsby Salon. If this were a genuinely accurate show about a salon, why would the owner tell Style to be sure to film a job applicant on her way to the salon? Why not wait until the person was hired? Oh, that's right, according to the article, Olivia was asked by Style to be part of the show. So Gatsby's owner had to go along with it.

I have no problem with anyone watching this show, and for all I know, I might be sufficiently entertained tomorrow to decide that I want to watch it on a regular basis. But I wonder why Style didn't just make a sitcom about a salon in New Jersey. Then TPTB could have the salon employees and clients do and say whatever TPTB wanted them to do and say, because they would all be actors following a script. It's like Tori and Dean pretending to buy a B & B and then admitting publicly that they never bought it only when the truth came out. Why not just have a sitcom in which Tori and Dean played the parts of B & B owners?

colt13

colt13

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 24, 2010 @ 10:29 AM

Until monday, I had never heard of this show. Now I think it is reality gold. When people acknowledge that they are "Tanorexic", it's just the beginning of a fun ride.

princesscrunchy

princesscrunchy

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 26, 2010 @ 9:02 AM

I am so thrilled I discovered this show; pure comedy gold!

And despite knowing how much of these "reality" shows are, in fact, scripted, the Gatsby Girls don't seem in on the joke the way the Jersey Shore cast seems to wink at the camera. I think they take themselves seriously, and no one more so than Alexa aka the Glam Fairy. I thought it was hysterical that she was snarking on the new girl - she looks like an unemployed clown who fell into the glitter pot on her way to the bar. I wouldn't let her or her oversize make-up case anywhere near me.

IMOutrippin

IMOutrippin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2010 @ 9:22 AM

I think they take themselves seriously, and no one more so than Alexa aka the Glam Fairy. I thought it was hysterical that she was snarking on the new girl - she looks like an unemployed clown who fell into the glitter pot on her way to the bar. I wouldn't let her or her oversize make-up case anywhere near me.

What's nuts is the Glam Fairy really gets a lot of business. She is all over the Knot and other wedding sites (I live in CT and got married a year ago), and the brides seem to love her. She's also super expensive like $400 an hour so she also her own team of "fairies" who go to the brides that either can't pay or if she's too busy. She's really popular in the tri-state area.

I did not even consider her, because where I live brides are not supposed to look like a glam fairy and obviously the cost.

Let's put it this way the Glam Fairy look is perfect for the Pnina Tornai wedding dress.

DedicatedFan

DedicatedFan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2010 @ 4:08 PM

I saw the show, and OMG it is really so phony-baloney. It was so stupid to have the mother-daughter owners discuss which makeup artist to hire, since it was already arranged that Olivia would be part of the show. And then the daughter looked so happy because she, the one who wanted to go young, won! And now the Glam Fairy is expected to train Olivia. Shouldn't that have been mentioned when the Glam Fairy was hired? Here she's expecting to fill her time doing clients' makeup and being paid for it, and now it seems that she'll have to spend part of her time there not being paid while she trains Olivia. If this was genuine, she would have walked out. But either she figures that being on the show will attract more business, or else Style is paying her extra just to be on the show.

It was obvious that Gigi was going to be hired, since they showed her at home. So why even discuss whether or not they were going to hire her? It was already a done deal before the camera started rolling.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2010 @ 12:46 AM

I don't really care how much the show is scripted because it's just so much fun to watch. For me it's a perfect escape from my own real life. It also lets me feel REALLY good about myself. Wouldn't let any of those people near me with a makeup brush or a hairbrush.

stretchess

stretchess

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2010 @ 10:09 PM

I think I love Olivia. Is it just me or does she seem to be a very genuinely sweet and nice girl? So far no cattiness from her!

I love how the two salon owners don't look remotely "jersey" in their look, but what's with mom's perpetually red eyes? Allergic to eye makeup? High?

Also, I don't get how that bitchy one was able to give a decent pedicure if she never trained/did them at her beauty school. I got one done yesterday and they went through loads of steps that seemed specific to feet, and also give an AMAZING calf massage that wasn't just improv.

dick simple

dick simple

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 10:04 AM

This show is also good source of decorating tips. When using animal prints there's a fine line between perfect and tacky (a line I fail to see). How could a person live in Olivia's apartment? It would be like living in a carnival.

Gigi's boyfriend is a ticking time bomb. How does a kid grow up in this day and age and still turn out neanderthal?

And I loved Traci's defense in bringing her boyfriend into the shop . . . I was just trying to bring in new business.

Edited by dick simple, Mar 29, 2010 @ 10:07 AM.

GiantElf84

GiantElf84

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 10:26 AM

They need to get rid of that nasty looking Tracy. First of all she is not cute in any way, if she ever came to my side of Jersey looking like that she would definitely get clowned. And how old are we that we still pick on those we think are weaker? Is she still in middle school? Because thats where this type of behavior should end.
Olivia is adorable and by far my favorite. I also really like the way she handled Tracy getting her in face. The owner's daughter cant remember her name, annoys the shit out of me. I dont like the way she always cuts her mother off, and the way she speaks where her mouth never really opens. But her husband is gorgeous.....lol And those "bacherlorettes"? Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

dick simple

dick simple

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 10:36 AM

. . . and who knew it was such a snap to get an apartment in New Jersey? No credit checks, no reference checks, just look at it and sign a lease five minutes later. As well as discussing painting the apartment shocking pink in front of the owner/manager who doesn't bat an eye.

breathespink

breathespink

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 10:42 AM

. . . and who knew it was such a snap to get an apartment in New Jersey? No credit checks, no reference checks, just look at it and sign a lease five minutes later.

Actually, that's how fast it was for me in Texas. The office checked my credit while the owner took me to the apartment to look at it. We went back to her office and I signed the lease. I think I was there maybe 20 minutes total from waiting for the owner to be free, walking to the apartment, looking at it, and then walking back to go over the lease.

Maybe her complex lets them paint the walls as long as they paint them back to the normal white color before ending their lease? Mine had a similar rule, that it just had to be back to normal before the end of the lease.

DedicatedFan

DedicatedFan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 4:22 PM

Also, I don't get how that bitchy one was able to give a decent pedicure if she never trained/did them at her beauty school. I got one done yesterday and they went through loads of steps that seemed specific to feet, and also give an AMAZING calf massage that wasn't just improv.

The whole thing was completely fake. As the newspaper article that I linked to upthread said, the salon actually has other beauticians working there during the daytime. The salon is open at night for the filming of this show and is "staffed" by three hairstylists and two makeup artists, in addition to Gayle and her daughter. That was so funny when Gayle said that her manicurist works in the daytime, and that's why she wasn't there for the bachelorette party. I doubt very much if a beauty school will allow a student to learn how to do manicures but not pedicures. (If I'm wrong, please let me know.) And Gayle or her daughter should have done the pedicure. In New Jersey, a beauty salon owner must be a licensed beautician. According to my hairdresser, when he went to beauty school, he had to learn how to do everything - hair, nails, facials, waxing, etc. But he told me that nowadays, a student doesn't have to learn how to do everything. Gayle should have had to learn how to do everything when she went to beauty school. I bet that scene about Tracy being reluctant to do a pedicure was put in because TPTB at Style thought it would be good drama.

Gigi's boyfriend is a piece of work, but that scene in the restaurant was totally phony-baloney. Where does a waiter come off telling a guy that he's waiting on that his date is really hot? Maybe Style should do a reality show about a restaurant whose waitstaff constantly flirt with the customers or tell them that they're really hot. The waiter didn't even have his face blurred out. He wasn't worried about TPTB at his restaurant finding out that he was saying inappropriate things to the customers. Everyone knew that the whole thing was staged. You can be sure that when a show about a beauty salon has a camera following one of the salon's employees into a restaurant, something worth filming is going to happen (because it's already been arranged).

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Tracy isn't really dating Olivia's ex, and that the guy is played by an actor, and it's just a phony storyline.

If I hadn't know before, I would know now that this is entirely phony, since Anthony gave the bachelorettes a bottle of champagne to take with them. In New Jersey, while it's not legal for a salon to provide wine for their customers unless they get a license, the cops tend to look the other way. But the salons are not allowed to give the customers wine to take away with them. New Jersey is kinda funny about liquor. You can't buy beer or wine in a deli or supermarket, like you can in other states, such as New York. You have to go to a liquor store. Anthony is a salon owner (at least, that's what they say he is). He should have known that handing over champagne to be taken away could get the salon in serious trouble. But he did it anyway. It had to have been staged. Maybe the bottle didn't really contain champagne, or maybe the bachelorettes handed the bottle back to him as soon as the camera stopped rolling.

It's too bad this isn't a sitcom, because it's an absolute riot.

Fionas2

Fionas2

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 5:04 PM

Caught this show while home sick in bed yesterday and I have to say, I'm hooked! As completely and obviously fake as it is, I find it quite entertaining. I agree with the above poster, it should be a sit-com!

Snookie better watch her back, because Olivia is adorable and very likable!

ranjake

ranjake

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 5:58 PM

Snookie's not from New Jersey! Only Sammi , not that she's any better!

colt13

colt13

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 30, 2010 @ 2:24 PM

Agree with all of the Olivia love. She looks like an Orange Kelly Ripa, but she seems so sweet and enjoys the clients.

Like Gigi too. Good body, and is not ashamed to admit she wants to be a housewife.

On the other hand, The Glam Fairy might be too much for me. All this talk of breeding annoys me. And how can someone whose main business is bridal be so against marriage?

GiantElf84

GiantElf84

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 30, 2010 @ 2:49 PM

I think the "glam fairy"has been burned and now she is "anti-love anti-marriage". Whoever she dated before must have really broken her heart.
Most people who are so negative about marriage and relationships have been in a situation where they lost all their trust and faith in the opposite (or for some the same) sex. I think she is one of those people who will say "I dont do love or relationships" and what she really means is "Please tell me you love me and how Im wrong about love and relationships". She will be this way until she meets someone who changes her mind...

janesdoe

janesdoe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 31, 2010 @ 1:13 PM

The Glam Fairy really irks me. She name drops MAC products like nobody's business, you don't see many real Makeup artists that act like MAC is the only brand of makeup to ever exist.
Her website is just as snarky as her. Did you guys check out the F.A.Q. section? I would not want to hire someone with so many rules and regulations. She even said when the bachelorettes were in the salon that she would have kicked them out. Does she not like money?

I'm loving Olivia but that end scene where they were painting was just too much for me. Just an explosion of ugliness.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2010 @ 1:53 PM

Didn't like the glam fairy, and a visit to her web site solidified the dislike.

So if you do something half retarded

. Calling someone retarded, in my book, is like using the 'N' word. As the mother of someone who is developmentally disabled, I find it highly offensive when used as an insult. Besides, her makeup is ugly!

Fionas2

Fionas2

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2010 @ 2:26 PM

She (GF) is disgusting. I don't think the self-proclaimed "glam-fairy" is going to be getting a lot of work after this show.

Edited by Fionas2, Mar 31, 2010 @ 2:27 PM.

retiredonsofa

retiredonsofa

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 31, 2010 @ 4:19 PM

Don't like the glam fairy either, and I think she's making up her list of famous clients. Her makeup is nothing special and neither is her personality. Poof, let her be gone:)

KatetheKat

KatetheKat

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 1, 2010 @ 6:11 AM

i really wanted to like this show, but the obvious staged quality is turning me off. Olivia is cute.