The Music of Parenthood

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

15 replies to this topic

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2010 @ 11:42 AM

So, a song came on the radio the other day, and I found it really catchy. I was almost singing along like I knew it, even though I had never heard it before. So, I decided right then and there that I had to have it, dialed up iTunes and for 99Ę it was mine. Iíve listened to it a few times since and really like it.

Then, while rewatching a clip from the Pilot, the opening scene where Adam is jogging and Sarah is packing, I realized itís the same song: "Kick Drum Heart" by The Avett Brothers. So thatís why it seemed familiar. Boy, the show really worked as marketing for that band, at least for me.

The show has used some other good music. I loved the use of "St Judy's Comet" by Paul Simon at the end of the second episode. And of course, "Forever Young" by Bob Dylan in the opening credits. And different version of "Forever Young" at the end of the Pilot. (The opening credits version is more uptempo, with more accompaniment) Thereís also a different opening credit song used on Hulu, by Lucy Schwartz I think. Maybe the Bob Dylan on-line rights are too pricey?

If you're interested, here's a site to help keep up with all the music used in the show, Tunefind is a site that lists all the songs episode by episode.

While Iíve liked the music choices so far, the show really needs to turn down the music volume just a bit. Especially in scenes with dialog, so the songs donít overpower the words.

(couldn't think of a catchy title for this thread...any ideas?)

Danke

Danke

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2010 @ 12:44 PM

NBC has all the songs listed on the official Parenthood site, too.

Parenthood - music

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2010 @ 10:55 PM

(couldn't think of a catchy title for this thread...any ideas?)

"All Dylan, All The Time ... Unless It Gets Too Pricey"?

Some reference to Max's "The Beatles Never Had A Number One..."?

... and I'm out.

I really liked the song that was playing over the end of "Wassup." It really added to the impact of the scene where the family meets Steve. (I wonder if the poor kid knew he was going to meet them en masse?)

Oatmealesque

Oatmealesque

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 23, 2010 @ 11:29 PM

I really liked the song that was playing over the end of "Wassup." It really added to the impact of the scene where the family meets Steve.

Agreed. I'm a big Josh Ritter fan but had yet to hear this song (it's a new one, apparently), so I was really excited when I recognized his voice. I especially liked it with the final few seconds, with the fade out, and the final "it's only a change of...time." Really added to the poignant feel of the whole dad-daughter bit. (By the way, for anyone who liked the song, it's available for free on the main page of Josh Ritter's website.)

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2010 @ 11:53 PM

Why, thank you Oatmealesque for the pointer to that. I just downloaded it and I'm listening to it now. Like you, I'm a big Josh Ritter fan, but hadn't heard this song before. Agreed that the song really added to the ending of the episode.

"Hah!" to the thread title suggestions Sandman. After reading the comments in this week's epsisode thread, the title that popped into my head was Parenthood Music: The Soundtrack of Schmaltz. And I mean that in a good way.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2010 @ 8:55 AM

HA! I could certainly get behind "The Soundtrack Of Schmaltz." (As I think you already know...)

Thank you, Oatmealesque; I thought I recognized the singer's voice, but didn't think of Josh Ritter. Whee! New song.

Oykamu

Oykamu

Couch Potato

• Interests:TV: Alias, Bones, Californication, Dark Angel, Gilmore Girls, Grey's Anatomy, In Plain Sight, L&O:SVU, NCIS, West Wing, and X-Files

Posted Mar 24, 2010 @ 10:44 PM

Yay, Josh Ritter!! He's from my hometown, so I feel especially obligated to recognize his voice out in the world. One of his songs made it on to Brothers and Sisters too. It's great that he's getting recognition on mainstream TV shows.

Parenthood seems to be getting better with each episode, but one thing they had right from the very beginning was the music.

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2010 @ 7:43 PM

I'm really loving that Josh Ritter song. It's gone into heavy rotation on my iPod.

So there really is an alterna-Parenthood theme song, for online and international airings. It's a really sweet little song, and I think it fits really well with the, shall we call it "warm", feel of the show. Here's a link to Lucy Schwartz's facebook which mentions a full version of the song will be available soon, and gives the lyrics. (They're really short, because it's just the quick version of the song you hear in the credits if you watch on hulu)

When we were young we were small but we didn't know it
When you were hurt you would smile so you didn't show it

And I can't believe you're mine
Can't believe you're
Can't believe your mine [sic]

[It took quite a bit of restraint for me to not correct "your" in the last line]

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2010 @ 9:59 PM

Can't believe your mine [sic]

[It took quite a bit of restraint for me to not correct "your" in the last line]

Maybe this person is surprised that their significant other owns a coal mine.

Edited by janie jones, Mar 26, 2010 @ 9:59 PM.

hurtfeelers84

hurtfeelers84

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 26, 2010 @ 11:35 PM

It took me a few days of online research to find the singer to that alternative theme song--it's the first time I have had trouble finding something online in years! Remember the old searching when the internet was new??
(Sorry for that sidetrack.)
But I LOVE that song; I can't wait for the full version to be released. I only heard it on Hulu, the second episode. They used the "Forever Young" theme for the rest of the shows on Hulu.
I wish the "Can't Believe You're Mine" was the theme for the show always. Also, I guess this isn't totally music related, but during the theme, who is the toddling blond baby? I couldn't tell if it was Monica Potter or Erika Christensen.

Edited by hurtfeelers84, Mar 26, 2010 @ 11:36 PM.

brantastic

brantastic

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 27, 2010 @ 12:26 PM

Man, I am a sucker for a show with good taste in music.

Hooray for Josh Ritter! He is pretty fantastic.

What caught me right away, though, was that when the pilot ep was on, my ears perked up at the sound of "Natural Disaster" by Andrew Bird. Andrew's been a fave for years now, and it's always kind of fun and exciting to hear him pop up here and there.

sloopster

sloopster

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2010 @ 1:38 PM

I went to see Loudon Wainwright III in concert last night, and he turned down all requests saying "I've forgotten that" except for "The Swimming Song", which amused me. Not one of my favorites, but I'm glad to see him in the lineup.

ljauss

ljauss

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2010 @ 8:19 PM

Noticed that this week's episode had two songs that also were on Grey's Anatomy. Who does the music selection for "Parenthood"?

Never mind, answered my own Q. Music Supervisor Liza Richardson

Edited by ljauss, Apr 9, 2010 @ 8:23 PM.

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2010 @ 8:45 PM

So far, every episode has featured a song that has gotten stuck in my brain. This week's was the one that played over the final scene. It was "How Many Times", by Rocco DeLuca & the Burden. It seems like the perfect song for a pensive scene.

It seems like, too, they've gotten better with how the music is being mixed with the dialog. Whereas in the first few episodes I sometimes would have trouble hearing a line or focusing on a moment because the music was too loud, I haven't noticed that in the last few episodes.

One thing, though, that bugged a bit this episode, was that a song was so prominently featured in the opening scenes (does Parenthood have what would be called a "cold open"?) It's like the show was trying to push too strong an emotional note before we even got to the opening credits. And having that song end so abruptly right before "Forever Young" started up just didn't seem right to me. Even though that song is one of my favorites ("Colors" by Amos Lee) I think that scene of Sarah/Mr Cyr rolling into the opening credits would have been better without its own soundtrack.

Edited by ImNotLeesa, Apr 15, 2010 @ 8:47 PM.

Danke

Danke

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2010 @ 3:34 AM

One thing, though, that bugged a bit this episode, was that a song was so prominently featured in the opening scenes (does Parenthood have what would be called a "cold open"?) It's like the show was trying to push too strong an emotional note before we even got to the opening credits. And having that song end so abruptly right before "Forever Young" started up just didn't seem right to me. Even though that song is one of my favorites ("Colors" by Amos Lee) I think that scene of Sarah/Mr Cyr rolling into the opening credits would have been better without its own soundtrack.

I didnīt even noticed it, I liked the song and the whole scene. But I agree that the theme song starts abruplty sometimes, it jumps out of the screen not so pleasantly. They cut the scene before the theme too quickly and wonīt let it play it out.

I was happy to hear Glen Hansard and Marketa IrglovŠ during the second Sarah/Marc kiss.

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2010 @ 7:45 AM

The online version of the show sometimes features an alternate theme song (not Forever Young) When We Were Young, by Lucy Schwartz.

Here's a video of her performing the song live.

She's a lot better than Zeek and his ukelele.