I'll Take Paul Lynde To Block: The Hollywood Squares

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1 reply to this topic

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2010 @ 3:20 PM

I checked this section of the forums with a fine-toothed comb, and couldn't find a thread for this classic show.

The original, Peter Marshall-hosted version was the one game show I never missed during school vacations, snow days, and sick days. Being a pre-teen during its heyday in the 70s, a lot of the more, shall we say, politically-incorrect aspects of the show flew over my head--the ethnic and racial humor, references to domestic violence and sexual assault, and of course, the fur coats from Dicker and Dicker of Beverly Hills--which most certainly wouldn't fly on daytime game shows today.

Then there's the esteemed Mr. Lynde, who, along with Match Game's Charles Nelson Reilly, was as "out" as it was possible to be in the 1970's.(I was way too young to understand what "gay" was; I just thought he was a little, er, eccentric.)

I thought the first sequel, hosted by John Davidson was okay-not-great, although I did enjoy it when the show went on the road to I believe Florida, and since it was an outdoor location, they had to do the X's and O's with placards showing crossed waterskis and oranges, respectively. I never cared much for the Tom Bergeron--Whoopi Goldberg version. I did read that Peter Marshall was on the show for a week, and even took over hosting duties for half an episode.(Of course, I missed it.)

For anyone who's interested, here's a cool tribute website for the original version.(Mods, feel free to delete it if it's not kosher to post.)

river8101

river8101

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 17, 2010 @ 9:43 AM

Never liked this show.