Can I Have My Two Hours Back? Movies We Really Hated

• Please log in to reply

1475 replies to this topic

Pitstop

Pitstop

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

I have a loathe/love relationship with another Woody Allen film: Manhattan.

On the one hand, it has gorgeous, black & white images of Manhattan in all its glory. And oh, that Gershwin soundtrack!

On the other hand, it has 42 year old Woody himself dating a high school student, played by Mariel Hemingway. If Woody's pervy character in this film didn't tip off Mia about his future relationship with Soon-Yi , nothing would.

crowsworks

crowsworks

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 12:39 AM

Silent House. The entire movie is lighted by flashlights. I might have been scared or cared what happened if I could SEE it.

I used to laugh when a character would light a candle and the room would suddenly brighten blindingly. In this mess i was hoping that would happen.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 8:05 AM

I used to laugh when a character would light a candle and the room would suddenly brighten blindingly.

My friend and I could not get past this while watching Shutter Island.

"He's only holding a single match! A match doesn't light up the whole room!"

Diane Chambers

Diane Chambers

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 9:47 AM

As for Star Wars - no movie with so much wooden acting and dialog should win best pic... even if it was deliberate.

I can't believe Star Wars even got a Best Picture nomination. The Muppet Movie and Pee Wee's Big Adventure added a lot to my childhood, but I don't believe they deserved to win a Best Picture Academy Award. (I do, however, believe they are superior films to Star Wars.)

Nanrad

Nanrad

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

The last Woody Allen movie I saw was Melinda and Melinda, which I was dragged to, and I only managed to endure that by being very, very drunk, issuing a running commentary mocking each ridiculous piece of dialogue, and snorting with loud laughter at inappropriate intervals. This didn't go over terribly well with the other cinema patrons, but it was the only way to get through the damned thing. Never again.

The premise was so interesting, but I hated Chloe's character. I was so disappointed in the movie, I'm not watching it again.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

I'm a fan of Woody, and could barely get through that movie. How do you screw up a concept as awesome as telling the same story as a comedy and a drama that badly?

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 7:37 AM

That does sound really interesting, so it's a shame if they fucked it up. Maybe they'll remake it someday and do it right.

baska

baska

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

I've been catching up on this thread, and I must chime in on the hatred for The Family Stone. I saw it under duress, I guess. I was hospitalized in 2008 for two weeks after a sort of break, and I was asked to attend several daily therapy sessions. So far, so good, but then the therapist trots out this movie as a well-made depiction of family dynamics. My own family can be considered a model of dysfunction at times, needless to say that movie punched every button I had. I only sat through it because something in my head said it would be harder to get up and leave, given the circumstances. I ended up in my bathroom, crying, because although I don't go out of my way to watch SJP at any time, I knew exactly how Meredith felt.

On a different note, does anybody besides me remember Baby Blue Marine, Ode To Billy Joe, or The Dove?

crowsworks

crowsworks

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 12:37 AM

Baby blue Marine. Richard Gere, briefly, as the shattered war hero. I loved this movie as a teen.

An oldie that I can recomend. Warning Sign. It had "zombies" before they became trendy and X-file-ish paranoia. I fell in love with the young lead actors. Good Characters who you actually worried about getting killed.

Many modern movies have video game style (not)characters that you just wonder How thay are going to die, not if.

Edited by crowsworks, Mar 25, 2012 @ 12:44 AM.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 3:50 PM

Ode To Billy Joe

Oh boy do I remember this turkey! Even my TV Guide once gave the description of the film:

"You can film a book, and even a poem, but you can't film a lyric." .

The song is left to interpretation, yet someone insisted there was a mystery to tell us in this movie, and then when the "mystery" is revealed, the ending made no sense at all!

Having just seen it, I would like to add, "Mutant Chronicles" to the list. It turned up on Sci-Fi as I was getting ready for work and this movie was so pointless, it made me wonder why even bother wasting the film to make it??

DirectEstoppel

DirectEstoppel

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 7:52 PM

Jerry Maguire. He seemed to love the kid, and Dorothy was just part of the package.

Chicago: Boring. Catherine Zeta Jones deserved her awards, but the rest of the movie was so overrated.

deadpanlady

deadpanlady

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 7:53 PM

I remember "Ode to Billy Joe," because I had a pre-adolescent crush on Robbie Benson. But his squeaky voice and bad accent sucked, even then. And now that I'm typing this, I can't stop humming "...the day Billie Jo McAllister jumped off the Tallahassee Briiiiiiiidge..."
Dammit.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

Hate is too strong of a word, but after watching the much-hyped Taken, I recall thinking, "That's it? Really? And there's to be a sequel for this, because...?" Maggie Grace was totally awkward as a teenager, and not in the "appropriately awkward teenager" way. There's one scene where she's "running excitedly" toward Liam, and I nearly fell off the couch laughing. She was totally miscast for the part.

Liam Neeson certainly kicked ass, but the plot was so contrived, I found myself chuckling at the absurdity rather than being engrossed and invested despite itself. I realize the success of this film kicked off Liam's resurgence as an action star, but the film itself was a waste of time.

Edited by ribboninthesky1, Mar 30, 2012 @ 9:03 PM.

Rockstar99435

Rockstar99435

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

Maggie Grace was totally awkward as a teenager, and not in the "appropriately awkward teenager" way. There's one scene where she's "running excitedly" toward Liam, and I nearly fell off the couch laughing. She was totally miscast for the part.

ITA. Maggie Grace was awesome in Lost, but at 26, she was way too old to play a teenager. Her part wasn't something that couldn't be played by an actual teen or maybe someone 20-21.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 3:28 PM

There's one scene where she's "running excitedly" toward Liam, and I nearly fell off the couch laughing.

Which scene?

Virginia Plain

Virginia Plain

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

There's one scene where she's "running excitedly" toward Liam, and I nearly fell off the couch laughing. She was totally miscast for the part.

Hahaha. I felt the same about the scene. I only watched Taken for the first time a month ago and I really don't get how or why it's so popular and so well received.

I also hated that he just left her friend there, I mean I know that she wasn't his daughter but a) she was still someone's daughter and b) she was her daughters' FRIEND. It also bothers me that nothing was probably done to save the other girls from the prostitution ring after his daughter was home.

Oh god, and the ending was so awkward. She'll probably need years of therapy after what happened, not singing lessons.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 11:39 AM

Ha, Ankai! I was thinking of the one where she meets him at the restaurant. I think because even a teenage girl who loves her father, totally excited to see him, wouldn't run like that just because she's meeting him in a restaurant. The reaction was so incongruous to the scene. The video is pretty funny, though.

Oh god, and the ending was so awkward. She'll probably need years of therapy after what happened, not singing lessons.

Exactly. The reason for her being taken was very serious, traumatizing stuff. Yet, the movie made it about Liam kicking ass and taking names, and completely discounting what happened to his daughter. The movie would have been better served by making her kidnapping tied to him in some way. Still baffled by the purpose of the sequel.

Edited by ribboninthesky1, Apr 1, 2012 @ 11:43 AM.

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 11:49 AM

I haven't seen the movie, but I love that her awkward running was so noticeable someone felt the need to make a video compilation.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

Ode To Billy Joe

Is that the early 1970's movie about the kick-ass native-american version of Kung Fu? I seem to recall some whiney chick with long ironed hair and an orphanage/school on a reservation...

Edited by ubi, Apr 2, 2012 @ 8:15 PM.

tam1MI

tam1MI

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

Is that the early 1970's movie about the kick-ass native-american version of Kung Fu? I seem to recall some whiney chick with long ironed hair and an orphanage/school on a reservation...

No, you are thinking of BILLY JACK. Which was it's very own special flavor of sucktastic...

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 2:06 PM

It's mostly memorable for the pathetic attempts to convince us that the white guy playing Billy Jack is Native American.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

It's mostly memorable for the pathetic attempts to convince us that the white guy playing Billy Jack is Native American.

I think he was supposed to be half white, half Cherokee.

I happened to catch the film briefly on cable a few weeks back; I had to turn it off, as the hippie heroes grated on me. I was getting ready to root for the townspeople!

Edited by magicdog, Apr 3, 2012 @ 3:57 PM.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

I remember "Ode to Billy Joe," because I had a pre-adolescent crush on Robbie Benson. But his squeaky voice and bad accent sucked, even then. And now that I'm typing this, I can't stop humming "...the day Billie Jo McAllister jumped off the Tallahassee Briiiiiiiidge..."
Dammit.

Tallahatchie, but that's okay.

I had Robby Benson pinups on my wall.

The movie was pretty bad. And it ruined Dukes of Hazzard for me, too. Roscoe was gay? Yikes!

Edited by Runningwild, Apr 4, 2012 @ 12:36 PM.

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:06 PM

Diverting the conversation a bit with my hated movie -- Connie and Carla.

I know, I know. Believe it or not, I thought it might be kind of a funny, cheesy guilty pleasure. The premise was reminiscent of Sister Act, so I had hopes ... which were quickly dashed.

Quick synopsis: Nia Vardalos and Toni Collette play Connie and Carla, cabaret singers who witness a mob hit and hide out as drag queens in L.A.

OK, I'm not helping my "moderate hopes" case. Moving on.

Although there are elements in Sister Act that are remotely similar (protagonist hides from the mob by dressing up), I think Connie and Carla was actually supposed to be a (rather loose) remake of Some Like it Hot.

I hated Moneyball.
I thought they did a good job of quickly establishing both the character and his situation. But then the entire movie was just talking. And montages of powerpoint presentations. Where was the "ball"? Plus, that film was shot on location and the only part of Oakland we ever see is the stadium or what is actually Alameda. I think there maybe A shot of the Bay Bridge.

bolistoli

bolistoli

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:15 AM

Allow me to add any Nia Vardalos movie. She lucked out with My Big, Fat Greek Wedding meaning it was a commercial hit. I wasn't that thrilled with it except for the scenes shot in my neighborhood. Her other movies were absolutely horrible! Connie and Carla, I Hate Valentine's Day and My Life In Ruins - they all had that car-wreck quality where they were so bad that you just had to watch. Typical crap where you knew within the first five minutes exactly what the outcome would be. Complete rubbish.

It's so disheartening what Hollywood keeps cranking out. Every year I think I can count on one hand which movies didn't suck.

StinkPill

StinkPill

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

Bridesmaids! I probably would not have hated it so much if their hadn't been so much talk about how brilliant it was.. Drop Dead Gorgeous was leaps and bounds funnier than this overrated crapfest.

Virginia Plain

Virginia Plain

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

I don't even know where to begin with these movies, but the entire Paranormal Activity series. They're each nothing but 80 minutes of people walking around doing nothing and then a 30 second "scary" cliffhanger scene. Just dreadful.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

I love how everyone (myself included) assumed that My Big Fat Greek Life turning out so horribly was due to studio interference with Vardalos' vision, and it turned out that it was actually more what Vardalos wanted the movie to be, and it was thanks to those meddling executives that it turned out as good as it did.

CChambers

CChambers

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

I also hated that he just left her friend there, I mean I know that she wasn't his daughter but a) she was still someone's daughter and b) she was her daughters' FRIEND. It also bothers me that nothing was probably done to save the other girls from the prostitution ring after his daughter was home.

Been a while since I've watched the movie, but I'm pretty sure the friend was dead. He finds her in the house with the red door. Regarding the rest of the ring, he's only one man operating without any legal authority, there's so much he could do. And he did take out one of if not the leader of it and exposed a high level cop that was working for the kidnappers.

Corporal Agarn

Corporal Agarn

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:18 PM

This will get me in trouble, but...Blues Brothers. I really don't get why this film is so popular. I've heard that John Belushi was a comic genius, and I just didn't see it here. The movie was also just too damn long.

I also just saw The Goodbye Girl and couldn't even get through it. A woman lets a strange man she doesn't even know stay in her apartment when she has a young daughter?! Um, no. I'm not buying it. Couldn't stomach a film where the main is so reckless with her daughter's welfare like that.