5-17: "Of Course" 2010.03.08 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

97 replies to this topic

Shariq

Shariq

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 12:07 AM

A complete 180 from last week's catastrophe. I really enjoyed this episode; so much heart! This is the HIMYM I love, not the weird "let's explain a social trope in excruciating detail" stuff they've been doing lately.

VerySpecialOne

VerySpecialOne

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 12:38 AM

I'm leaving the episode with a generally positive opinion.

I liked the song better the second time I watched the ep; the first time I was a little "Really? Are they gonna make this a musical series now?" and I still hope they're not planning on making a habit of it because that stuff'll get tired right quick.

I found myself okay with J.Lo because she was a caricature we weren't supposed to like or want to come back. There are other one-shot roles with more depth (like Maggie) that wouldn't have worked for her.

I was okay with Robin's mourning period too. It was obviously hinted at in previous episodes and does feel true to the character, not least of all because she tried to hide it. If you'll remember, she went through a very different kind of mourning period after breaking up with Ted. I think the type of mourning depends on the type of relationship and how the breakup unfolded. I agree with bsk117 about where this one came from. I also think how the show approaches Robin's relationship with Don will say a lot more about what kind of character they think she is now than the mourning period did.

Now I'm just waiting for them to give Ted a reason to exist again. I'm afraid that now that they've brought him so close to the The Mother and we have so many hints, the show won't want to bring on another woman who obviously isn't her for fear the viewers won't get invested in her.

Lord Seth

Lord Seth

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 12:54 AM

Ted's song would've been better served if at the end Barney had asked him if he thought it up spontaneously, to which Ted would say "No, I wrote it a while ago, I've just been waiting for an opportunity to use it."

It was a meh episode. I wish there had been more humor in it, but I will give them credit for trying to undo the backwards character development they've put Barney through. Still not liking Don though. There's really no chemistry between him and Robin.

EmpressbyNature

EmpressbyNature

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 12:58 AM

I liked when Robin was crying in the bathroom and everyone went in and hugged her. It was funny but also really sweet too. I love them friendship moments. I also really liked the flashbacks to the bangity song, and a person would join in each time, and when Barney joined in he was playing spoons.

I really hope they introduce the mother at the end of this season or at least by next season. It probably won't be this season, so hopefully next. In the earlier seasons, I was cool with them possibly only introducing the mother in the last season or towards the last episodes or maybe even the very last episode but fuck that now. It's been too long. I want to meet the mother, damnit.

EmpressbyNature

EmpressbyNature

Couch Potato

I liked when Robin was crying in the bathroom and everyone went in and hugged her. It was funny but also really sweet too. I love them friendship moments. I also really liked the flashbacks to the bangity song, and a person would join in each time, and when Barney joined in he was playing spoons.

I really hope they introduce the mother at the end of this season or at least by next season. It probably won't be this season, so hopefully next. In the earlier seasons, I was cool with them possibly only introducing the mother in the last season or towards the last episodes or maybe even the very last episode but fuck that now. It's been too long. I want to meet the mother, damnit.

EmpressbyNature

EmpressbyNature

Couch Potato

double post

Edited by EmpressbyNature, Mar 9, 2010 @ 12:59 AM.

corgi-ears

corgi-ears

Fanatic

• Interests:30 Rock, The Amazing Race, Battlestar Galactica, The Closer, Damages, Friends, How I Met Your Mother, The Office, Project Runway, Wonderfalls

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 2:59 AM

I was okay with Robin's mourning period too. It was obviously hinted at in previous episodes and does feel true to the character, not least of all because she tried to hide it.

Furthermore, the show, once again, has a built-in defense should any viewers protest that the previous episodes haven't shown Robin as deeply affected by the break-up with Barney. Namely (say it with me now): Ted is an unreliable, or at least subjective, narrator. Hence, if we haven't noticed that Robin has been mourning, it's because -- as this episode acknowledges -- Ted hasn't noticed.

sweetwilliam

sweetwilliam

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 7:16 AM

The "Bangity-Bang" song was one of the most painful things I have heard on tv lately. Cringe worthy. This show's quality has declined so much in the past few years it's sad.

cagewench

cagewench

Fanatic

• Interests:So You Think You Can Dance, How I Met Your Mother, Fringe, Comic Book Men, Alphas, Don't Trust the B in Apt 23, Castle, Switched at Birth, Survivor, Supernatural, Doctor Who, Dexter, True Blood, Torchwood, and cancelled shows like: BTVS, Angel, Firefly, Dark Angel, Roswell, Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me, Battlestar Galactica, Tru Calling, Smallville, Wonder Woman, Black Adder, Reaper, the 4400, Coupling (UK) Pushing Daisies, Heroes, and many more.

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 8:05 AM

Did no one else thing "Bangity Bang" sounded like the start of "The Bird" (and I always see the version of Pee Wee Herman doing it in the 80s flick "Back to the Beach")... ?

Well the bird bird bird, well the bird is the word...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=0sMB6dye29Q

I did *not* like Don being the one to be on the Super-Date with Robin... I keep hoping that Don will get all suave with Robin and it will be revealed that he acquired the textbook for dating Robin from whomever took it off of Marshall's barrel earlier this season.

Maybe he's googling Robin and he finds it on Craigslist or something.

But he and Robin have ZERO chemistry.

wounded

wounded

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 8:18 AM

Marshall's bang song got funnier the second time through as well, especially when he leant over Robin and his face got all crazy.

It just got funnier and funnier when Ted joined in, and my sides started to hurt once Barney popped in, too. Just hilarious!

boggartlaura

boggartlaura

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 10:32 AM

Don needs to go away.

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Fanatic

• Interests:Covering Sherlock, Once Upon A Time, The Vampire Diaries, and The Tomorrow People for TWoP. Past shows include Lost, Supernatural, and How I Met Your Mother.

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 10:38 AM

The recaplet is up. It's really more of a review, this week. I'm trying something new. I hope it works for you.

P.S. VerySpecialOne, are you, by any chance, Canadian? If so, let me know in the Meet Market and I'll tell you what tipped me off.

Edited by Cindy McLennan, Mar 9, 2010 @ 10:40 AM.

mstms

mstms

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 11:03 AM

This episodes had its faults but it had something that the show has been missing since well, since before Barney and Robin g0t together: HEART.
Barney became such an unberable jerk (he was always a jerk, but at least he was a loveable one) and Robin became a fotenote on the show. And how uncharacteristc gooey romantic Ted and awesome couple were regarding Robin feelings till now? Finally all of that was adressed but maybe its too little? Too late? I think future episodes will tell, this season can still be saved, if it has more episodes like this one and less like The Perfect Week or Hooked.
HIMYM wasnt always the most funny sitcom, but it was usually the more emotive one, this season, with breaking Robin/Barney so quickly (and while they were together, using them so poorly) it tried to become the funny but unfeeling sitcom, the one we are used to see in lesser shows.
I personally, like my laughs with a side of heart break, and thats why I think this was the best ep of the season.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 11:27 AM

Interesting to see the comments on this week's episode vs. last week. Seems to be a divide between what some fans of the show expect and what they like about the show. I actually prefered last week's episode. I don't mind episodes with growth, but I just feel they 1. should have done this show earlier in the season. I really had put the Barney/Robin relationship in the past and was done with it and 2. Didn't need an entire episode focused mostly on Barney/Robin again.

I happen to enjoy the episodes about things like "being on the hook" and seeing how all of them react to those situations. It seems the writers have an easier time getting them all involved in the show, which is when the episodes work best. Or when they take a situation one of them is in and explore how they all would or have reacted to that situation. Like when Marshall is yelled at by his boss and they all go through how they would handle it. I didn't really see that as much in last night's episode.

Also we have been through seeing Robin and Ted break up and how they dealt with it before. Seemed like a rehash of a storyline they had explored in the past. And in that case Robin ran off to a foreign country and found a foreign boyfriend right away. Now she is upset and pining over Barney doing what Barney does, which is sleeping with lots of women. Very different reactions.

Also that "Bang" song I found annoying.

Moosejaw

Moosejaw

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 11:37 AM

Don is somehow less interesting since he started wearing pants.

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 11:40 AM

I liked this one better the previous few episodes. J-Lo was ok for a one-time guest character. And I liked that they acknowledged that they acknowledged the way Barney's been acting in front of Robin. Her reactions are reasonable, she didn't want to be just another conquest for Barney.

Are we supposed to like Don because Marshall does? Because I have yet to find him likeable or any reasons why he's so perfect for Robin. He barely has a personality, in the beginning he was a douche that didn't wear pants then gave some sob story about a divorce that I didn't care about and now were supposed to think that his super date with Robin was super amazing. Sorry not buying it.

I'd rather that Barney took Robin on the super date to show her a good time (without the kissing) to make up for the way he's been acting.

Fusion

Fusion

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 11:45 AM

Finally all of that was adressed but maybe its too little? Too late?

I do absolutely believe it was too late - because you cannot make plots, characters or jokes on a sitcom work retroactively. The whole "nobody noticed" thing might work intellectually now, but everytime I watch one of the concerned episodes, this won't make the episode itself better. Basically, they now have retconned parts of this season, which will work intellectually ("I know why everyone was so OOC regarding the Barney/Robin breakup"), but never emotionally or when actually watching those episodes.

I would really like to know when this episode was conceived and written. If it actually was a reaction to the fans reaction to the Barney/Robin break and how it was handled (thats what this solution felt like to me), or if it was an actual plan ("We'll ignore the fallout of the breakup and later do a story on how the characters ignored the breakup.") from the beginning. If it was the first choice - while I feel that the writers should have done better in the first place, at least they were willing to go back and change. If it was the second one - Stupid Writers! These sort of "retroactive explanations"/retcons/whateveryoucallit seldom work. And I have not seen them work on a sitcom ever. It might seem clever when you actually know whats gonna happen, its just bad when watching it without that knowledge.

Of course there is a third possibility: The PTB knew they had to deal with the resolution of Robin/Barney. However they did not want to deal with sad characters over the span of several weeks, so they ignored it (out of lazyness) only to then clear it up with some sort of solution. I guess the next weeks will give us some insight into whether this now actually had any consequences, or if we are done with R/B completely. Until Barney of course notices shes his true love after all... ;)

Otherwise it was an ok episode. Kinda weird with the singing (the bangity-bang song seemed really famiilar, but was somehow funny). Why did they make the song in "Girls vs. Suits" all in Barneys head, when they now do a song in the main story without anybody noticing? I really felt Teds song was unneccessary. It wasnt more funny than him telling it to Barney, he is not as good a muscial artist as NPH and it ripped me out of the "believableness" of the scene.

While I would have accepted the guys not noticing Robins "mourning period" (I am kinda ashamed for this, but I did expect some lame sort of menstruation-joke to get in there.), it didnt really seem in character to be so happy for Barney. Barneys conquests very seldom were that much of an inspiration for joy and happiness for them (excluding the tricycle ;)).

Loved the call backs to the shooting range, didn't like Robin wanting a "super-date" from Barney. The reason the shippers wanted those two together was exactly because they were both so awesome, so different. Their relationship shouldn't have needed super-dates. It should have been a Bromance, the two hanging out smoking cigars, playing lasertag and having awesome sex afterwards. If for some reason (general OOC-ness) Robin expected romantic carriage rides from Barney, she really must be an idiot now.

Did absolutely not like "The man she was meant to be with - Don". Not because I want her with Barney (by now, I really don't actually), but because that sentence seemed to imply some sort of important emotional connection with Don, or some sort of Importance to this relationship. Which the show just hasn't shown to us.

johnleemk

johnleemk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 12:07 PM

This episode exemplified for me what's worst about the present season, and what's best about the previous seasons. Like others have been saying, this show used to have heart. The season finale for S2 is still some of the best heartful television I've ever watched. But this season, it's been more about gags (thankfully not so terribly and outstandingly horrible in this ep) and turning as many characters as possible into one-dimensional beings.

Barney's character was more of a lovable jerk, so we're getting a return to that, but I can't be the only one who thinks Marshall's character keeps getting worse and worse. I mean, look at the guy in S1, S2 or S3 -- he's goofy but not outrageously so to the point that it overwhelms everything else about him. In this episode, it seemed like he was just there for comic relief -- the writers seem to have given up on him and Lily this season.

If you ask me, at least two to four episodes between this and the Barney-Robin breakup should have been completely nixed, so we could have gotten this episode closer to the breakup. Putting it in now is completely forced, and it's pretty terrible that the writers keep trying to milk half of a good idea into a whole episode. A lot of things they've been devoting entire episodes to could have been combined into one episode so we could have gotten this sort of closure on Barney-Robin sooner.

As things stand, it's just completely bizarre that the show totally ignores the fallout of the relationship for half a dozen episodes or more, only to suddenly come back to it when it suits them. It would be one thing had they used the intervening time to pack a lot of creative ideas into each episode -- but they didn't.

I don't know what the writing team is trying to do, really. They're not even developing Don as a character. This is a show about friendship and love, and if you want us to believe it, you need to show us why the characters in the show like Don, not tell us that they do and leave it at that. You don't become friends or lovers with someone because they tell you they're nice and caring and funny. That's not how things work.

Sprout

Sprout

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 12:08 PM

I keep hoping that Don will get all suave with Robin and it will be revealed that he acquired the textbook for dating Robin from whomever took it off of Marshall's barrel earlier this season.

Dude, that would be the best thing.

Also, am I the only one who, after Robin's stirring rendition of "Bang Bang Bangity Bang", though we were being set up for a montage of Barney's mourning period further down the line?

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 12:13 PM

This show deserves a bump-up from Cindy's B- for the simple fact of the under-stated continuity fairy. When Robin was interviewing J-Lo, she started with, "But, um-". That is what made this episode for me.

I was horrified initially at Ted's 'Super Date' song, wondering if I heard the Fonz revving up his motorbike in the background, but it actually worked in the end.

And I think that J-Lo was one of the better guest stars of the last couple of seasons. She didn't come over as a guest star at all, she 'fit' the episode nicely.

ETA: Crap. I now have "Bang Bang Bangity Bang" stuck in my head. Gah!

Edited by Erratic, Mar 9, 2010 @ 12:14 PM.

couldhavebee

couldhavebee

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 12:27 PM

And I think that J-Lo was one of the better guest stars of the last couple of seasons. She didn't come over as a guest star at all, she 'fit' the episode nicely.

I'm not much of a fan of J.Lo OR of this episode, but ITA with you here.

but I can't be the only one who thinks Marshall's character keeps getting worse and worse. I mean, look at the guy in S1, S2 or S3 -- he's goofy but not outrageously so to the point that it overwhelms everything else about him. In this episode, it seemed like he was just there for comic relief -- the writers seem to have given up on him and Lily this season.

I've always disliked the IMO boring, inconsistently written, smug and vaguely obnoxious Lily, but I do agree with you that my once beloved Marshall has lost some his endearingly goofy charm.

Or maybe I'm just such a shallow viewer that I found Marshall much more lovable when Jason Segal was hotter and in better shape ;)

I couldn't agree more with all who are pointing out that we need to SEE a connection between Don and Robin, not just be informed by really clunky writing that it's supposed to be there.

Edited by couldhavebee, Mar 9, 2010 @ 12:28 PM.

MuppetCoat

MuppetCoat

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 12:41 PM

I do absolutely believe it was too late - because you cannot make plots, characters or jokes on a sitcom work retroactively. The whole "nobody noticed" thing might work intellectually now, but everytime I watch one of the concerned episodes, this won't make the episode itself better. Basically, they now have retconned parts of this season, which will work intellectually ("I know why everyone was so OOC regarding the Barney/Robin breakup"), but never emotionally or when actually watching those episodes.

They did it in Season 2 - at the wedding we find out Ted/Robin have been broken up for several episodes before then. Dunno why it worked better then than now... but it did.

Top Dog 12

Top Dog 12

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 12:47 PM

This season has been great so far, while last season there were a few meh episodes, I haven't felt that way this season.

I am glad the viewer ship and exposer for this show has increased, the more the better.

SkyDreamer

SkyDreamer

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 12:53 PM

This episode just reminded me of how awesome Barney and Robin used to be together. I'm really disappointed that the writers chose to ruin what they have built for 4 seasons by making them an unbearable couple and then breaking them up so soon. I still hope that they will be together at the end of the show.

Don needs to go away.

Agreed.

johnleemk

johnleemk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 1:20 PM

They did it in Season 2 - at the wedding we find out Ted/Robin have been broken up for several episodes before then. Dunno why it worked better then than now... but it did.

Indeed. The difference is I think that you can go back and see all the clear hints they broke up, like Robin suddenly crying at the marriage ceremony which Barney officiated, and her awkward hug with Ted afterwards. What the writers are doing now is retconning by saying "Yeah, you saw Robin do completely fine -- but actually she sneaked out to cry." With S2, they didn't have to retcon it that way because the hints were all there.

The other thing of course is that none of the group had any reason to suspect they broke up. It came as a complete surprise to them, and rightfully so. In this case, you're hanging out with your best friend on a consistent basis and it takes months before anyone realises "Oh, Robin isn't coping well"? Give me a break.

Meushell

Meushell

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 1:32 PM

I liked the J.Lo character at first, but I didn't like her wanting to have Barney in the end. Aside from going back on what she promised, it was just annoying. Kind of wanted to see Barney to take her out on the superdate only for it to not work.

I want to like Don, but right now he's just sort of there.

SilverPoet

SilverPoet

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 2:10 PM

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard as when Barney showed up to sing the Bangity Bang song and was playing the spoons.

I think the writers really need to flesh out Don's character, and, like others have said, I hope that it turns out he has the Robin Handbook or something. Otherwise, I hope the writers tie that in somewhere that isn't just a throw away gag.

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Fanatic

• Interests:Covering Sherlock, Once Upon A Time, The Vampire Diaries, and The Tomorrow People for TWoP. Past shows include Lost, Supernatural, and How I Met Your Mother.

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 2:50 PM

Hey, please help. Ted, Marshall and Lily go to Barney's place to cluestick him about Robin's feelings. Then we have a flashback to Ted's apartment, in which Barney is describing some girl ("Bang, ping, padow, gadonk,") prompting Robin to walk out. That was a real flashback, right (i.e. from a previous episode). I remember it, or at least remember Robin walking out of Ted's once during the middle of a Barney/chick story, but I can't find it. I've skimmed almost all of the recaps since the Robin/Barney breakup episode. If you know what episode it's from, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

This show deserves a bump-up from Cindy's B- for the simple fact of the under-stated continuity fairy. When Robin was interviewing J-Lo, she started with, "But, um-". That is what made this episode for me.

Erratic, I understand why you believe that. I did struggle with the grade. I liked the continuity gasms, but since the episode was so continuity heavy, I couldn't ignore the greater context of the (mishandled) Barney/Robin romance and breakup.

Edited by Cindy McLennan, Mar 9, 2010 @ 2:54 PM.

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

• Interests:T.V., Movies, Books, Gaming, and animals.

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 3:04 PM

From the recap:

But he keeps his promise, 'cause it's different, he has a soul now, or something.

Bwahahahaha. Cindy, I pretty much love you.

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 3:29 PM

This episode was way better than the last one, and the last few. Way better. I laughed a lot, Ted was hilarious, it made sense....I liked the storyline a lot. J.Lo wasn't terrible.

In other news, Lily is still useless.