Who Do You Think You Are?

• Please log in to reply

2210 replies to this topic

AuntiePam

AuntiePam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 11:32 AM

Might be odd but all I could think about, seeing that beautiful penmanship on those ancient documents, was the lonely clerk who sat there recording it all. If not for his work, no one would have known anything. But his name will probably never be known.

That was some nice handwriting, wasn't it?  We've seen some undecipherable stuff on the show, that that writing was quite readable. 

Trisha and Christina's episodes are my favorites so far, but I'm really looking forward to Jim Parsons.

Trisha wearing those black and white pants and the red shirt in scenes in Georgia before and after the visit to England confirms that these people don't go back and forth.  She did a good job, acting like the info was new to her.  And she seems brighter than many of the others we've seen -- her observations were articulate and interesting.

I wish the show would do a behind the scenes.  I'd like to know how those libraries and historical societies catalog documents so they can be located, and I'd like to know how they choose the celebrities.  Do they get them on board and then do the research?  Or do they do some research on a bunch of celebrities and then contact them to see if they want to appear?

ReillysRevenge

ReillysRevenge

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 11:40 AM

I've decided I like the non-LA types (Clarkson & Yearwood) better than most of the  LA people (O'Donnell, Handler, Deschanel).  I found both Kelly & Tricia to be so down-to-earth, warm and unpretentious.  I'm still never, ever going to listen to country music, even under  threat of hanging or transportation.  Sorry, TY.

The second Crawford mentioned the Hemingways in her family, I knew she'd be related to Papa Hemingway.  But I thought it would be a lot closer than 8th cousins.

Question: what do you consider a distant cousin? My best friend says 3rd cousin is really distant.  As a longtime amateur genealogist, I don't think 3rd is that far.  I think of "distant" as being a least a  5th cousin.

PRgal

PRgal

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 1:15 PM

Question: what do you consider a distant cousin? My best friend says 3rd cousin is really distant.  As a longtime amateur genealogist, I don't think 3rd is that far.  I think of "distant" as being a least a  5th cousin.

Third is distant if you don't really see them, IMHO. 

In my culture (Chinese), every relative has about a billion titles, so no one knows who is who!  Basically, anyone from an older generation gets an uncle/aunt designation (and technically, a cousin once removed is a cousin-aunt/uncle anyway) while people from the same generation or younger get to use first names. 

kassa

kassa

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 2:29 PM

I want to know what happened to the brothers!  There were three implicated by their accomplices.  But only two were sentenced to death (wonder if maybe the third was under 18 and escaped it for that reason?)  Then they were both transported... but what about the brother?  Did he serve out his term?  Die on the ship?  End up being bought free by Trisha's escapee gggrandpa?

ReillysRevenge

ReillysRevenge

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 3:16 PM

In my culture (Chinese), every relative has about a billion titles, so no one knows who is who!  Basically, anyone from an older generation gets an uncle/aunt designation (and technically, a cousin once removed is a cousin-aunt/uncle anyway) while people from the same generation or younger get to use first names. 

My filipina sister-in-law taught my niece to call everyone "aunt" or "uncle," esp. the older cousins, and it used to irritate me because I'm her only bio aunt!  But now I'm going to be more forgiving because you've explained it's probably an Asian tradition.

Speaking of which, could we get at least one Asian celeb on next season?  This has been a very WASPy season of WDYTYA.  I'm glad Parsons' ep appears to be exploring French ancestry, but how 'bout celebrity family histories that involve Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Latin America, the Pacific Islands...even something Slavic or Scandinavian would make me happy.

Personally, the only episode I could even remotely relate to was Chris O's - one side of my family is very St. Louis Irish - but even that one quickly veered off into Americana land.  But I don't need to relate to the celeb's ancestry.  I just want to learn something new.

sskrill

sskrill

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 5:20 PM

But now I'm going to be more forgiving because you've explained it's probably an Asian tradition.

My family is Ukrainian and we do the same so it's not just Asian.  It's a sign of respect between the generations - you only address yours and younger by first names.  I don't think we've seen any Russian ancestry either.

I fell asleep about 15 mins into this so I'm going to have to try to On Demand it.  I'm usually interested no matter who the celeb is but this time I just couldn't make it.  If I remember right she's the one who cheated with whats-his-face and then he left his wife for her, right?  Maybe that tainted it for me.

ChicagoCita

ChicagoCita

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 6:08 PM

I agree that Trisha was interesting, and my favorite this season so far is Kelly Clarkson.  They were interested and excited!  I know we all good-naturedly talked about Kelly being kind of a goof, but please give me that over someone uninterested or overly blase (Chelsea Handler and Cindy Crawford, I'm looking at you!)

I only know Jim Parsons from media articles, so I'm interested in seeing what he's like.  How many more episodes in this season?

normal, everyday correspondence is probably going to be lost.

I am the Keeper of Records for my family, and a few years ago it dawned on me that future generations will want to see everyday things, the same things that thrill me that my ancestors kept.  So into the boxes of genealogy records go newsy Christmas cards, birth announcements, shower invitations... I hope someone finds it as fun as I find similar things from 150 years ago.

jerseydevil

jerseydevil

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 7:58 PM

sskrill it was LeAnne Rimes involved in the divorce scandal, so feel free to enjoy the episode!

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 8:17 PM

Though there were tons of rumors about Garth and Triaha having an affair when they were married to other people.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 8:51 PM

I don't know much if anything about Trisha (she's a country singer and blonde. That's about it.) But I did like her in this episode.

I have been wondering if the reason most of the episodes were similar this season is because they all traveled to England at once and it was just cheaper that way?

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 10:06 PM

Speaking of which, could we get at least one Asian celeb on next season?  This has been a very WASPy season of WDYTYA.  I'm glad Parsons' ep appears to be exploring French ancestry, but how 'bout celebrity family histories that involve Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Latin America, the Pacific Islands...even something Slavic or Scandinavian would make me happy.

Yes! I wish this season or the show as a whole had more diverse people on it. This season in particular has been very white. I would love to see an episode where the celeb had roots in Asia or Latin America. Or a black celeb who could trace their history back to Africa(which admittedly is probably very hard unless the celeb had more recent ancestors immigrate from there which would be more likely on the UK version of the show). Has Lucy Liu done an episode? That could be fun. Or Eva Longoria? George Lopez? Somebody.

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 10:13 PM

I'm usually interested no matter who the celeb is but this time I just couldn't make it.  If I remember right she's the one who cheated with whats-his-face and then he left his wife for her, right?  Maybe that tainted it for me.

I think you're thinking of Leanne Rimes and whats-his-face is Eddie Cibrian.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 10:16 PM

Or a black celeb who could trace their history back to Africa

Blair Underwood was first to do Ancestry's DNA test for the show. They connected him to a 'tenth cousin' or something in Africa, and he went to meet the man and his family there. I think the focus of the episode was finding his roots in Africa. 

Vanessa Williams has been on the show as well. (I don't remember much about her episode it was a bit boring.)

And someone else, who had an ancestor who looked like Brad Pitt (to me) but was the son of a slave owner and a slave, or something like that.

ETA: quote

Edited by ScrubMonkey, Sep 4, 2013 @ 10:17 PM.

murphy09

murphy09

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 11:29 PM

Trisha Yearwood was married to a band member from the group The Mavericks.  Garth Brooks was married with daughters.  They left their spouses and married.  They have been married quite a while.  I too was curious that 2 brothers were sent to America, but the third brother wasn't mentioned.  I wonder what happened to him?  Having worked on my trees for 42 years, it is fun to zero in on one person and see their story unfold.  I have also found distant relatives that I wouldn't have dreamed of speaking to.  The show inspires me to keep looking.

Anacharsis

Anacharsis

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 12:25 AM

I also wish they would've mentioned what happened to the brothers.  There were four boys altogether, but only three were involved in the deer theft and only two were sentenced and transported.  I think Samuel was the youngest . . .

Hopefully TY got the info off-screen, because I can't imagine not being curious about the rest of the family.

Edited by Anacharsis, Sep 5, 2013 @ 12:26 AM.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 1:58 AM

So, did the brothers with surname White snitch on the brothers with surname Winslett - and the White brothers got away without penalty for that - is that what happened?

It did seem as if Samuel Winslett was a bit of a conniver - although I can't really judge him for it since it must have been brutal to survive back then and require quite a bit of ingenuity. I don't know. 

I wonder how much his land sold for and who bought it?

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 9:42 AM

One of the few things I remember about colonial history is that Georgia Was For Convicts. I wondered if we might learn about TY's fam being transported, so I was pleased when we did.

I was a bit fuzzy, however, on whether the deer on the estate were specifically raised for food or if they were just wild, like a nature preserve. I got mixed signals on that. I'd be tempted to build me a Deer Tower, just for the lulz. I guess I'd need a backyard for that though. Sigh.

Shallow note: the specs TY wore in the England part of the ep (rectangular, metal) were very pretty; I am covetous.

pasdetrois

pasdetrois

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 12:39 PM

I read a lot of English history, and it's often written that nobility kept vast acres of game for their own hunting and for their guests. Because the poor were starving, they often poached the game, and if they were caught it was a terrible penalty. In other words, the nobles had more game than they could shoot and eat, but they were determined to throttle anyone who tried to steal it.

I enjoyed Trisha's episode, but this series is beginning to be too formulaic and truncated for me. Louis Gates' series was beautifully done. Somehow he told each celebrity's story in a richer, more integrated way.

AuntiePam

AuntiePam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 12:39 PM

My understanding about the deer park (from watching PBS documentaries on British estates) is that they were for show, until the number got too large and then they'd be harvested.  The big estates had gamekeepers, and raised pheasant and quail and other game birds,for food and for hunting parties. 

Re Trisha and Garth, I read that they didn't get together openly until they were both divorced, but that Garth admitted to lots of flings while he was touring, and that he toured with Trisha while he was married to Sandy.  Garth divorced Sandy in 2000 but he and Trisha didn't marry until 2005.

Ewokmonster

Ewokmonster

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 12:46 PM

I wish they'd do a story on someone who's line went to Mexico. I'd love to see what kind of records they could dig up. Would give me hope for my family.

Until then, I just can't see paying $30 a month (a MONTH!  not a year!  that floored me) for ancestry.com.

If you get just the U.S membership, it's only 12.95 a month. I don't pay for the world one, if I want to look at other country's records, I just go to a LDS center. 

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 12:50 PM

I just want to know if Trisha Y is related to Kate Winslet.

Sunny Kerr

Sunny Kerr

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 3:26 PM

I wish they'd do a story on someone who's line went to Mexico. I'd love to see what kind of records they could dig up. Would give me hope for my family.

I realize that's not really what you mean, but the last episode of this season is on Jim Parsons. He's from Texas (born and raised in Houston, if his Wikipédia page can be believed).

At one point, that was Mexico.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 9:12 PM

I do think this show could benefit from being on PBS or some other commercial-free station, though. Cindy Crawford's episode seemed about half ad. (Not counting the product placement in the episode segments.)

About past episodes from this series, we watched two more from the BBC collection. Hugh Dennis, I think his name was? A comedian. And Ken (or Wiliam?) Roache, I think was the name of the second one. Hugh's story was great - both grandfathers were in WWI. Both suffered in different ways. One of his grandfathers' stories was exactly like (the movie) The Corn is Green. Fascinating life story, really. Remarkable man.

His other grandfather was remarkable too in that he survived not one, but two, grueling battles which had left very very few survivors. Was also a lovely story of another man, a chaplain, who had started a little house and garden with chapel in the attic, to provide war weary soldiers a home away from home, right by the battlefields. The grandpa took what he had learned there - gardening as therapy - and used that every day the rest of his life (once he was discharged back home.)

Amazing what those generations went through, and his grandparents like most of their generation, (almost) never talked about it.

I fell asleep during part of the Roache episode. It kind of went on and on about some ancestor who was doing 'medical electricity' or something, and kept casting aspersions on his grandpa or great grandpa or someone who family gossip had it was a mean drunk. I wish they wouldn't do that. The dead can't defend themselves. I did enjoy the part about his entrepeneurial female ancestor who built up two highly successful restaurants. I found one recently in my own line, and am trying to get more information on the place that carried her name.

I didn't know convicts from England became indentured here. (Trisha Yearwood's episode.) That was new to me. I thought the poor ended up that way due to debt or from wanting to get passage to America. I wonder if Samuel Winslett's "master" was kind or if Samuel just ran away because he wanted to be his own man?

Edited by ScrubMonkey, Sep 5, 2013 @ 9:42 PM.

Sunny Kerr

Sunny Kerr

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 10:05 PM

ScrubMonkey That was William Roache. If you ever saw the actor Linus Roache on Law & Order, William is his father.

Did you at least catch the parts of the episode where the grandmother or greatgrandmother was an amazing woman who held the whole family together by starting businesses and working really hard (and being really good at it?)?

Edited by Sunny Kerr, Sep 5, 2013 @ 10:05 PM.

ReillysRevenge

ReillysRevenge

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 12:58 AM

Oprah found our she had a Chinese ancestor on the Gates show, and I think several black guests found out they didnt have the Native American ancestry despite grandma's long, silky hair and high cheek bones. Those traits aren't exclusive to Native Ameiricans lol

Found an article which discusses the DNA findings on the Gates show, African-American Lives: http://chancellorfil...y-test-results/

My cousin is an HS history teacher in St. Louis.  Every year before he gives one particular lecture,  he writes on the board, "All the African-American kids will raise their hands when I ask them if they have Native-American ancestry."  Then he covers up the board, gives the lecture,  and uncovers it after he asks the kids if they have Native ancestry. He says it never fails that all the African-American kids think they have native blood.  Some do, of course, but most probably don't.

Poor Prof. Gates found out that he, the head of Harvard's African studies program, was half white. Oprah's DNA was unusual in that she didn't have a drop of European blood.

Gotta love the truth-telling aspects of genealogy and DNA.  Some of my relatives are mad at me for finding out that we're not all Irish, but in fact, 1/16 Scots Irish.

I wish WDYTYA would take on the more scientific approach of Gates' shows.  I'd like to see more of that instead of watching celebrities drive.

mezzomom

mezzomom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 10:53 AM

Frankly, I'd be more interested in the "descent" of the family from Charlemagne, if that makes sense.  At what point do you forget your royal roots?  Even if a couple of generations of granddaughters married beneath their station, or eloped, you'd think they'd say "You might be shoveling stables, but damn it, your great granddaddy was CHARLEMAGNE!"

So if I were ever lucky enough to get that far back, I'd like to examine their movement from royalty to nobility to gentry to ... potato eating country folk, in Cindy's words. 

This.  As yet another person who can trace back to Chuck the Prolific, I'd love to know how the "forgetting" happens.  I was stunned to be able to trace back that far, as no family records or stories existed further back than the early 1800s, and those certainly didn't indicate anything Fancy Pants!  On the other hand, 3x great-grandfather on the opposite side was divorced by his wife for attempting to murder his family with an axe and setting fire to the family home.

I'm equally intrigued by both stories, and therein lies my wish for this show.  I want to see more of the celebs' ancestors, not just a focus on one side/person.  Cut out the deadpan reactions, and that provides more time for more information.  I'd also like to see them do a DNA test, and show the general results, which is what the AncestryDNA test shows.  

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 11:56 AM

Frankly, I'd be more interested in the "descent" of the family from Charlemagne, if that makes sense.  At what point do you forget your royal roots?  Even if a couple of generations of granddaughters married beneath their station, or eloped, you'd think they'd say "You might be shoveling stables, but damn it, your great granddaddy was CHARLEMAGNE!"

That reminds me of the book of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince where you learn about the Gaunts, descendants of the great wizard Salazar Slytherin and one of Hogwarts' founders. Because of "pure-blood" fanaticism they intermarried for generations, which if you know about Charles II of Spain can cause problems! Dumbledore to Harry:

This lack of sense coupled with a great liking for grandeur meant that the family gold was squandered several generations before Marvolo was born."

"He…was left in squalor and poverty, with a very nasty temper, a fantastic amount of arrogance and pride, and a couple of familyheirlooms that he treasured just as much as his son, and rather more than his daughter.

Marvolo Gaunt was the maternal grandfather of Voldemort, the big villain of the Harry Potter series. His daughter was Voldemort's mother.

Gotta love the truth-telling aspects of genealogy and DNA.  Some of my relatives are mad at me for finding out that we're not all Irish, but in fact, 1/16 Scots Irish.

I want Summer Glau(Firefly, The Sarah Connor Chronicles) to do a DNA test because her wiki says she's of German and Scots-Irish descent but looking at her there has to be some Asian ancestry in there! 

Edited by Sighandeyeroll, Sep 6, 2013 @ 12:27 PM.

kassa

kassa

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 1:56 PM

I want Summer Glau(Firefly, The Sarah Connor Chronicles) to do a DNA test because her wiki says she's of German and Scots-Irish descent but looking at her there has to be some Asian ancestry in there! 

Finns can have "Asian" looking eyes -- Northern Europeans moved east and west as much as southern Europeans.  Most of it happened so many eons ago that her DNA could turn up 100% European.  Which isn't to say that she couldn't also have some recent Asian ancestors, of course.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 9:44 PM

Thanks for the info about William Roache. I enjoy all the WDYTYA episodes even when I don't know who they are but that helps.

Did you at least catch the parts of the episode where the grandmother or greatgrandmother was an amazing woman who held the whole family together by starting businesses and working really hard (and being really good at it?)?

Yep! Loved that bit. That's what I meant by:

I did enjoy the part about his entrepeneurial female ancestor who built up two highly successful restaurants.

Considering her home life it was even more remarkable. Also interesting that her husband's father bypassed her husband and made her the executor of his estate. We had been wondering where the seed money for that fancy restaurant originally came from. I wonder if she didn't make the estate its actual owner and use that as an investment. If so, it was very smart, since she could live from the earnings and also funnel some back into the estate, making everyone happy. 

In those days women often were not allowed to have any rights like that (I've found one from a bit earlier in which the widow could not legally administer her own inheritance and her son in law had to do it.) So I love those stories.

murphy09

murphy09

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 3:06 PM

I have been watching the UK version of this show and I have to say, I think they are a lot better than American version.  I don't know if our version has more commercials or not, but seems to be so choppy and short snippets of info compared to theirs.  The UK versions tell stories and have more detail.