Future Olympic Games: Where Will the World Party Next?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

305 replies to this topic

NYC Dave

NYC Dave

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 10, 2011 @ 8:57 PM

ABC/ESPN does not cover figure skating anymore; the ISU and U.S. Figure Skating sold those rights to NBC several years ago. The commentary has taken a dive (they are much louder, more jingoistic, and just plain lousy). They have the equivalent of Al Trautwig's horrid gymnastics commentary now mucking up figure skating, too. The coverage has been put on Universal Sports, as I mentioned, rather than running on the broadcast station. When ABC/ESPN owned the rights, they even showed the early flights (i.e. lesser skaters) and short programs on ESPN, then did the main coverage on ABC. It was available to anyone who had even the most basic cable packages. So, in short, I understand the IOC made an economic decision. That does not mean that NBC's coverage of the games is anything I want to watch or that I like the fact that NBC will be fucking this up for the next 4 Olympiads. They are not the same issue.

Okay, I get all that, but you're talking about 1 sport. I'm not a figure skating fan, so I couldn't compare NBC to ABC/ESPN. So when you say "ABC/ESPN have still done a good job with Olympic sports," what other sports are you referring to? Most of what I see on ESPN is football, basketball, and baseball, and not much else. Even if ESPN had gotten the Olympics, they still probably would have put a lot of those competitions on espn3.com. At least NBC has a television channel (even if not everyone gets it) that is dedicated solely to Olympic sports and now that they're partnered with Versus, that can only help as well.

Just as you hate the thought of NBC continuing to do the Olympics, that's how I felt about the possibility of ESPN getting it. I cringed at the thought they might actually be serious about getting the Olympics which is why I laughed a little bit when they put in such a pathetically low bid. ESPN used to pride themselves on being the number 1 destination for sports news and highlights. To me, they've become a joke and the last thing I wanted was for them to come in and do the same thing to the Olympics. Couldn't be happier that they have nothing to do with the Olympics for at least another decade.

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2011 @ 9:42 AM

Just a big w00t! that Directv will broadcast Universal Sports starting in August. Hopefully this is a sign that Universal is gearing up for a big push to make Olympic Sports coverage better available outside top ten US tv markets.

I just wish they were starting a month sooner so we could get the FINA World Championships and a few other interesting July events.

COESpiral

COESpiral

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2011 @ 7:12 AM

Who at ATT U-Verse will have to be harassed in order for them to pick up Universal Sports in time for the 2012 Olympics??

NYC Dave

NYC Dave

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 6, 2011 @ 10:35 AM

PyeongChang, South Korea has been selected as host of the 2018 Winter Olympics beating out bids from Munich and Annecy, France. 3rd time's the charm for South Korea as they lost a close bid to Vancouver for the 2010 Olympics and an equally close bid for Sochi for 2014. Congratulations to South Korea, their first time hosting an Olympic Winter Games!

sienna gold

sienna gold

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2011 @ 11:06 AM

Yay for Pyeonchang! I've been there, it's a gorgeous place, and it's going to be a great games. I think it's going to be a little "China Lite" in regards to the pressures put on their teams [Shorttrack/Longtrack Speedskaters especially].

I think this really paves the way for South Africa hosting the games after Rio.

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2011 @ 11:32 AM

I saw a report out of South Africa a while back that said they were probably going to take a pass on 2020. They were happy with how the World Cup went, but there's a political debate going on right now with whether they want to run up big venue bills when that money might be better spent improving day to day life for a large number of South Afircans. I think the Greeks overspending on Athens 2004 and then having that overspending playing a role in the tanking of the Greek economy probably spooked a bunch of people there.

Dbrain2004

Dbrain2004

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2011 @ 12:01 AM

So, last week the six finalist cities for the right to host the 2020 Summer games were announced. What's interesting about the list is that no city in the Americas (North or South) put in an official bid, the first time this has happened in 20 years. (Las Vegas had put in an bid without the consent of the United States Olympic Committee, which had previously stated they wouldn't bid for the 2020 or 2022 games.)

The cities in contention are (in alphabetical order):

Baku, Azerbaijan (which previously bid for the 2016 Games, but failed to become a candidate)

Doha, Qatar (which, like Baku, bid and failed for the 2016 Games, with the IOC citing technical reasons, chiefly the Doha's insistence in holding the games in October, citing extremely hot summer weather. This recent bid came after the IOC gave Doha permission to host the games outside of the traditional time frame.) However, IMO, with Qatar getting the FIFA World Cup in 2022, I have my doubts about the country being able to host two majorly international events in such a short time frame.

Istanbul, Turkey (which had bid for the Summer Games in '00, '04, '08, and '12)

Madrid, Spain (which had a strong bid for 2012, and most recently lost in the final round of voting to Rio De Janeiro for the 2016 Games)

Rome, Italy (which had previously hosted the Games in 1960, and most recently lost in the final round of voting to Athens for the 2004 Games). Currently, it's the only bid which has an official logo.

Tokyo, Japan (which had previously hosted the Games in 1964, and most recently lost their bid for the 2016 Games).

I would think Madrid would be the favorite for the pick, given its strong bids previously, but, as ridiculous as this may sound, I personally don't want any European nation landing these games, simply because Paris wants to put in a bid for the 2024 Games, and since the city also held the Games in 1924, I would love the the story of them hosting Games exactly 100 years apart. With the IOC's tradition/unofficial rule of no continent hosting back to back Summer Games (hasn't happened since 1948/1952), I would hate to see this potential moment denied.

I can't imagine Baku having the infrastructure to host an Olympic Games (they don't even have an Olympic Stadium built yet), and I would think the IOC would avoid Qatar after the rumors over the supposed bribery scandal that got the country the FIFA World Cup. I would also have to wonder if the current financial problems with Spain and Italy would play a part in their bids. Then, of course, there's Tokyo, who's rebuilding after the earthquake/tsunami, and most recently had to give up this year's World Figure Skating Championships.

As wild as this sounds, at the moment, I really think Istanbul's going to get the 2020 Games almost by default.

NYC Dave

NYC Dave

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 9, 2011 @ 11:39 AM

As wild as this sounds, at the moment, I really think Istanbul's going to get the 2020 Games almost by default.

2 years is enough time to potentially put Rome and Madrid back in play in terms of their country's economies. I'd actually like to see Istanbul win, although the IOC may be a little gunshy about going to a new country for the 2nd straight Summer Olympics, especially if South Africa is going to mount a bid for the 2024 Olympics. We shall see though. My guess is that they'll short-list everyone except Baku and Doha, but I'd say at this point, the race is pretty wide open between the remaining cities.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2011 @ 4:30 PM

I'd actually like to see Istanbul win, although the IOC may be a little gunshy about going to a new country for the 2nd straight Summer Olympics, especially if South Africa is going to mount a bid for the 2024 Olympics.

I would much prefer Istanbul too. Just my opinion, but that would be a more interesting host country than Madrid or Rome for me. But I really see your point. If they do think South Africa will be ready for the one after, they will likely just wait for them.

soymilk

soymilk

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 1:28 PM

Barf: Ryan Seacrest to be part of NBC's Olympics coverage team.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

Wow,I didn't think it was possible but NBC found a way to make their coverage shittier.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 4:24 PM

I generally like NBC's coverage but this seems weird to me since Seacrest doesn't seem to have any real interest in sport. Then again he might be really good with the soap opera stuff that can surround a sport like Gymnastics. Of course I don't see a need for that but NBC might.

redpencil

redpencil

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 1:52 AM

Eh, it's not like he's going to be doing any play-by-play, or color analysis or taking over the main anchor desk or something. As long he's interviewing athletes during Opening/Closing ceremonies or hosting the late-night after-party type events (like the combined medal ceremonies, musical performances, etc.), or something along those lines, I don't think it's an issue. He's generally a pretty good host, and adept at handling live situations, IMO.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 2:26 AM

Aw no; because Greece is broke, they may not be able to send athletes to participate in the Games.

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

Sprinkles is competent enough at what he does as a radio & tv host. As long as they don't expect him to be an expert on team handball or something, I think he'll be okay. The only times he's really annoyed me on Idol were when he'd be going back and forth with Simon.

Olympic frequent flyer (okay breaststroker) Amanda Beard has written a tell-all book that's supposedly going to hit the next NYT Bestsellers list. She's seen as being one of 3-4 women chasing the second spot in the 200 breaststroke after Rebecca Soni, and if she makes the American swim team, I can already predict the long soft focus piece going from the damn teddy bear to the drug use to happy & healthy mommy.

NYC Dave

NYC Dave

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

At London Olympics, NBC Says, ‘If Cameras Are on It, We’ll Stream It’

Official announcement coming from NBC on Wednesday (which coincides with the 100 days to go mark until London) that EVERY event from this year's Olympics will be streamed live online. I'm sure there will be plenty of people still complaining that NBC doesn't show anything live, so I can't wait to be that guy to remind those folks that they're wrong!

NYC Dave

NYC Dave

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:27 AM

Michael Hiestand of USA Today is reporting that NBC decided on its hosts for the London Olympics. All as expected with perhaps 1 surprise (don't worry, it's not Seacrest hosting primetime)..

Primetime: Bob Costas
Late Night: Mary Carillo
Daytime: Al Michaels, Dan Patrick
Contributors: John McEnroe, Bela Karolyi, Ryan Seacrest

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

Late Night: Mary Carillo

And now, horsies! I just realized when Rachel Maddow is feeling goofy and playful, it's very much like a Mary Carillo impression.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 1:59 PM

How silly that Seacrest's name is next to McEnroe and Karolyi. Say what you will about them but at least they have a connection to sports. The thing with Seacrest is that we don't know if he even likes sports. He probably likes going to Lakers games and being seen with his girlfriend. And I like Seacrest. I love American Idol. But the only thing he knows or even cares about with regards to sports is that his frined Eva Longoria used to be married to Tony Parker.

Edited by MV007, Apr 26, 2012 @ 2:00 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:10 PM

At London Olympics, NBC Says, ‘If Cameras Are on It, We’ll Stream It’

Ah, at last Comcast is good for something.

Sarcastico

Sarcastico

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 8:22 AM

IOC picks final 3 for 2020: Madrid, Tokyo and Istanbul. Doha and Baku fail to make the cut. Final decision Sept. 7, 2013.

With Spain's economy falling off a cliff and Tokyo a previous host, I'd say Istanbul has a slight edge.

Edited by Sarcastico, May 24, 2012 @ 11:44 AM.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

The average high temperatures in Doha for July and August are 106 and 101. Probably wise not to go there.

I

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 12:03 AM

Even t he IOC saw that it was a bad idea to hold such a huge event in Qatar, yet FIFA declared them a more suitable world cup host than the United States and Australia

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

The IOC is only kind of corrupt, while FIFA is totally corrupt.

My guess is Istanbul wins. They probably have more venues that need to be built/heavily renovated and the IOC loves it when countries pay for shiny stuff they'll have trouble ever using again.

Edited by xaxat, May 25, 2012 @ 8:58 AM.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

Good news for the United States and future olympic bidsThe USOC and IOC have settled their revenue dispute.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 11:34 PM

Good -- that will pave the way for a bid on the 2026 Winter Games (I'd like to see us get those, rather than the 2022 Winter Games or the 2024 Summer Games, for the simple reason that 2026 marks the country's 250th birthday; what better way to celebrate the Quarter-Millennial than to throw a party and invite the entire world?)

Edited by legaleagle44, May 25, 2012 @ 11:36 PM.

sienna gold

sienna gold

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 11:34 PM

I could be up for the Olympics to be in the US around that time. I know that Canada is still trying to host a Summer. (Oh, Toronto, give it up, darlings. We can barely handle Toronto commuters, how would we host the world?).

I wonder if the NBC stream will be available internationally? (It won't really matter to me. CTV/Bell Media is pretty much awesome if Vancouver was any inclination. And all I'd want to watch - Gymnastics, Fluffy pieces, Swimming), will be prime time with Costas anyway.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

Someone has asked me:

A) Will the Opening Ceremonies be shown live in the US or only on NBC prime time tape delay - not talking about streaming, but on some broadcast/cable channel

B) Will BBC America be showing any coverage, especially of the Opening/Closing Ceremonies? This is related to the live coverage in my first question. Pretty sure the answer to this one is no.

Any ideas?

NYC Dave

NYC Dave

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

I wonder if the NBC stream will be available internationally? (It won't really matter to me. CTV/Bell Media is pretty much awesome if Vancouver was any inclination. And all I'd want to watch - Gymnastics, Fluffy pieces, Swimming), will be prime time with Costas anyway.

It will not, to my knowledge. Each country has their own rights holders for the Olympics, so they'll have whatever measures in place to make sure you're watching that country's feed. I'm not sure how the whole NBC authentication deal will work, but I imagine it is possible based on that you'll be able to see NBC video elsewhere. But I wouldn't count on it.

A) Will the Opening Ceremonies be shown live in the US or only on NBC prime time tape delay - not talking about streaming, but on some broadcast/cable channel

This one I'm pretty sure of.. the Opening Ceremony will only be on in primetime on NBC. No other channel will have it.

B) Will BBC America be showing any coverage, especially of the Opening/Closing Ceremonies? This is related to the live coverage in my first question. Pretty sure the answer to this one is no.

It is no. It's possible they might have ancillary coverage/specials related to the Olympics, but NBC is the exclusive rights holder to the Olympics in this coverage. BBC America, despite the affiliation with BBC, doesn't have the rights to show Olympic coverage here.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

Thanks. Pretty much what I thought.