Future Olympic Games: Where Will the World Party Next?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

305 replies to this topic

sienna gold

sienna gold

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2010 @ 11:14 AM

A Canadian who hate summer? Now I heard everything!

Well, actually, I hate humidity. So, hee, there you go. But I am more of a fall girl - always have been.

I would assume that yes, it would be SkyDome for the Olympics. And clearly, that IoC [even though Toronto has been "robbed" twice], I keep thinking... but where will events take place? Where will the athletes sleep? How, exactly, does Toronto expect to host the SUMMER olympics?! Now if they said they wanted Toronto wanted to host the Winter Games, that can make a bit more sense.

That's, right.. I forgot we have the PanAm Games. I think if those go really well - that helps Toronto's quest to host the olympics. [The only "Large city" left that has yet to host. As Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver all have had a shot].

caia1970

caia1970

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2010 @ 11:41 AM

The main venue will certainly be Skydome, right? It can't be Rogers Centre for an Olympic.

The Rogers Centre is the Skydome. They renamed it. Are you thinking of the Air Canada Centre? That's the hockey rink where the Leafs play.

3 is enough

3 is enough

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2010 @ 11:53 AM

The Summer Games can be held as late as September, IIRC. If Toronto hosted them then, the weather would be perfect.

PRgal

PRgal

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2010 @ 12:10 PM

The Summer Games can be held as late as September, IIRC. If Toronto hosted them then, the weather would be perfect.

How late in September? The dates between the Thursday after Labour Day and ten days after that are out because of the Toronto International Film Festival. This could be as late as the 19th or 20th.

fatcatmatt

fatcatmatt

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2010 @ 12:23 PM

The main venue will certainly be Skydome, right? It can't be Rogers Centre for an Olympic.

The Rogers Centre is the Skydome. They renamed it. Are you thinking of the Air Canada Centre? That's the hockey rink where the Leafs play.

caia1970, I think the poster was talking about the Skydome/Rogers Center. By saying that it couldn't be the Rogers Centre, they were saying for Olympic purposes, the building cannot be named for a sponsor. It of course, is the same building, but just named differently. This also happened in Vancouver with the GM Place being renamed to Canada Hockey Center for hockey during the duration of the games.

3 is enough

3 is enough

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2010 @ 12:31 PM

I don't know how late, but the Games in Seoul in 1988 went from Sept 17 to Oct 2. But I'm sure if Toronto got the Games, the film festival could change their dates. Anyhow we are getting WAYYY ahead of ourselves here. It's 10 years away, and the bids haven't even been submitted yet.

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2010 @ 12:48 PM

Sydney was in late September (as they were just before my final exams. Oh joy. No word of a lie, all the marks for that year dropped in NSW. It shows how obsessed us Aussies are with sport)

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Feb 25, 2010 @ 1:22 PM

Makes me sad to go through Washington Park every day and think of what could have been if the USOC hadn't screwed it up.

I know it sounds like sour grapes, JennyBeans, but you might be better off. Five years ago, most of New York was against having the 2012 Games. My home borough of Staten Island would've gotten road cycling and equestrian events (as well as softball, but that's been pulled). As much as I'd like to attend the Olympics, it would've been a nightmare to pull off . . . especially since the main stadium would've been plopped on the west side of town, much to the chagrin of a lot of neighborhood groups.

Talking about attending the Games . . . are there any English folks out there willing to put up with an American for about a week two years from now? I won't complain about the food, and we can talk about Doctor Who. I'd make similar pleas for future Games, but I dunno if any Russians or Brazilians read these forums.

caia1970

caia1970

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2010 @ 1:39 PM

...they were saying for Olympic purposes, the building cannot be named for a sponsor...

Ah I got ya. I did not know that about venues and sponsors.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2010 @ 2:41 PM

Quebec City is seriously considering bidding for 2022

Which would give the rest of Canada the opportunity to complain that not enough English was spoken during the Opening Ceremonies. Maybe it's not such a bad idea (but I still favor Romania).

ieh21

ieh21

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2010 @ 2:46 PM

Which would give the rest of Canada the opportunity to complain that not enough English was spoken during the Opening Ceremonies.

Indeed! And people from Quebec can pretend Montreal doesn't exist for two weeks straight!

They've been wanting the Olympics forever. I think their problem is that their biggest mountain isn't tall enough for men's downhill. I'm not sure how they propose to change that. As it is, the only World Cup event ever to take place there is the women's at Mont-Ste-Anne. Maybe Le Massif is now developed enough? Is it high enough?

Edited by ieh21, Feb 25, 2010 @ 2:46 PM.

Lucky Boo

Lucky Boo

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 25, 2010 @ 6:00 PM

I think PyeongChang will get the 2018 Games, if only due to dogged persistence; also, I can't see the IOC going with a second European city in a row for the Winter Games, especially when Sochi, London, and Torino will have combined for three of the previous five Olympics. I do like the idea of Romania hosting the 2022 Games, but I wouldn't be surprised if a city in North America got them. I really, really love the idea of Queenstown, New Zealand, hosting the Winter Games. It's STUNNING in the summer, and I can only imagine how gorgeous it is in the winter. My only question is when would the Games be held? The normal February schedule isn't going to work since that's the warmest time of year in New Zealand (that's when I was there). Would they have to hold the Games in the Northern Hemisphere's summer?

I really want the Olympics to be held in Africa, and I think South Africa is the one African country (aside from maybe Morocco) that has the infrastructure in place to pull off hosting the Olympics. If the World Cup goes well, I think Cape Town will be the runaway favorite for 2020, rather like Rio. The homer and the Northwestern grad in me was excited by the possibility of the 2016 Games being held in Chicago; however, I secretly was hoping Rio would actually get the Games because it was just time for South America to host. Similarly, it's time for Africa to host. Cape Town 2020 FTW, baby!

Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2010 @ 6:17 PM

Actually, I'd like to see Philadelphia try for the 2020 or 2024 summer games:

Big advantage for Philly is the fact with all the universities in Philadelphia, there are more than enough venues already built that could be used for many of the events during the games (even with the Spectrum being torn down). The only venues that I think would have to be built for the games would be a velodrome for cycling and a swimming venue, along with PERHAPS a rebuilt Franklin Field on the University of Pennsylvania campus that could be the site of the opening and closing ceremonies and track and field.

Just my opinion in that regard.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2010 @ 6:30 PM

The homer and the Northwestern grad in me was excited by the possibility of the 2016 Games being held in Chicago;

The cynic and former Chicagoland resident in me was afraid of how much more corrupt Chicagoland politics would get and how typical Chicago shortcuts could sully any Olympics. Then again, the Olympics are no stranger to corruption and cronyism either.

NYC Dave

NYC Dave

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 28, 2010 @ 6:42 PM

Actually, I'd like to see Philadelphia try for the 2020 or 2024 summer games:

Big advantage for Philly is the fact with all the universities in Philadelphia, there are more than enough venues already built that could be used for many of the events during the games (even with the Spectrum being torn down). The only venues that I think would have to be built for the games would be a velodrome for cycling and a swimming venue, along with PERHAPS a rebuilt Franklin Field on the University of Pennsylvania campus that could be the site of the opening and closing ceremonies and track and field.

Just my opinion in that regard.

Wally, I don't believe it.. I've never agreed with you more than I do right now! As soon as Chicago lost the 2016 bid and made it clear they wouldn't go for it again, I said that Philadelphia would be the next American city to go after an Olympics. And I graduated from Penn so I know the area well, I thought the EXACT same thing about re-building Franklin Field as the main stadium. If Penn would have it, there's your athletes village. There's a major transportation hub nearby and easy access to Center City. And like you said, plenty of other venues in town (Wachovia Center, the Linc, Liacouras Center, The Pavillion just to name a few). I commented to someone recently that I would bet anything that in the next few years, someone from Philadelphia is going to take a serious look at this. I feel like Philadelphia would be a great spot for the Olympics and probably would embrace the idea even more than New York and Chicago did.

ieh21

ieh21

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2010 @ 6:58 PM

From the thread title:

Where will the world party next

Right here, on TWOP. See you in two years!

sienna gold

sienna gold

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2010 @ 7:21 PM

ieh: yeah baby! :) :(
I have to say I'm going to miss all you olympic-ites. Can it be 880 days already? How can we wait until London? [With it's VERY oogly symbol].

beakermuppet

beakermuppet

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2010 @ 7:44 PM

How can we wait until London? [With it's VERY oogly symbol].

I think the 2012 symbol looks like a camel but hey! what do I know?

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2010 @ 7:46 PM

Must remember to have a thread for the 2012 logo.

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2010 @ 7:51 PM

ieh21, sienna gold, are you ladies gonna be here for the World Cup?

sienna gold

sienna gold

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2010 @ 7:58 PM

You mean soccer? Nope. I don't really like it [Unless it's in the olympics, and then I try, but it is really hard to get into. And I don't get it].

muffkins

muffkins

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 28, 2010 @ 8:08 PM

I like to think of soccer as hockey without ice or padding. It makes it more understandable for me. I only really watch it when there's nothing else on though.

Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2010 @ 8:09 PM

No Question Philadelphia should go for the games in 2020 or '24:

The Penn Campus could easily be the Athletes Village for a summer games, and with Penn expanding as well as the hospital complex in University City, it could spawn several new high rises that after the games can serve as dorms for students/new residences for people who would be working at a hospital complex that will have many new buildings by 2020/'24. It might inconvience those living in University City (around the Penn Campus) during the games, but the pain would be well worth it long-term.

One other venue that could come out of a 2020/'24 Olympics could be a domed stadium on Temple's campus that during the games could be used for basketball and gymnastics (like the Georgia Dome in 1996), but more importantly after the games can be the new home of Temple Football and can become a perennial venue for the NCAA Men's Basketball tournament, including bringing the final four back to Philadelphia, plus be a major concert venue during the winter months for acts who would not be as restricted to doing concerts then at the Wachovia Center.

That, coupled with everything said upthread and the likelyhood that some new subway or elevated lines might get built as a result would make Philadelphia probably a much more suitable choice to host the games, especially with the close proximity to New York and Washington, with people from both cities likely being able to make day trips via public transportation in a reasonable timeframe to get to venues as well.

scarynikki12

scarynikki12

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2010 @ 8:51 PM

I agree that Philly would make an excellent choice to host the games, Summer specifically and for the reasons Wally already posted. Existing venues that can be adapted during those three weeks will cut some of the cost as well as making the city more appealing in general. Also, Philly has a wonderful history that likely would be more appealing to the IOC than Chicago's (though I would have loved to see an Opening Ceremony with a gangster theme, hee). Plus, the name's origin is Greek (ancient games connection like Atlanta), translating to it's nickname "The City of Brotherly Love" (which would also appeal to the IOC). Let us now take a moment and visualize the media going nuts with that angle.

Anyway, I agree with Wally. :-)

Edited by scarynikki12, Feb 28, 2010 @ 8:52 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2010 @ 9:32 PM

I have mixed feelings about a Philly Olympics. I think it would piss off New Yorkers, particularly Giants and Mets fans. On the other hand, this would be the closest the Games would be in my lifetime, should I still be around (I'm 34 right now). My main concern: that I'd be too old to enjoy them. But hey . . . at least you'd have a ready-made mascot in the Philly Phanatic.

Seriously, any Londoners have a room to let in two years? I'll wash dishes, take the dog out for a walk, whatever it takes.

ieh21

ieh21

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2010 @ 9:46 PM

TV Anonymous

jawohl! And I will be waving the German flag all way through!

colleen17

colleen17

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 28, 2010 @ 9:49 PM

Ohh Philly Olympics would so awesome! Plus you could have beach Volleyball in South Jersey. Wildwood has a huge beach that would be perfect for it. (I'm from the shore so it would be pretty cool to have the olympics that close. ) Lantern7 the pissing off mets fans would just be an added bonus ;-)

Edited by colleen17, Feb 28, 2010 @ 9:50 PM.

potzrebie

potzrebie

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2010 @ 11:22 PM

I like to think of soccer as hockey without ice or padding. It makes it more understandable for me. I only really watch it when there's nothing else on though.

Yes, especially the part about no padding.

Kiss My Grits

Kiss My Grits

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2010 @ 11:28 PM

I freaking love soccer and think the World Cup is amazing. I have seen an Olympic gold medal soccer match live (both men's and ladies in 1996) and hope to go to World Cup some day. I also enjoy other competitions like the Euro Cup and even the Gold Cup. I am surprised that there is not even more cross mixing of O and WC fans and wish there was more love of soccer in the non- Spanish and Portugese countries in the Americas.

So the years with WC and Winter Olympics are very joyous to me.

I do think that it WC goes well in South Africa this year- it could help SA eventually get an Olypics.

chesslover

chesslover

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2010 @ 11:40 PM

According to my local olympic station Chelsie Memmel (USA gymnast) is going to try to make the team for London 2012

Go Chelsie! Go USA!