Future Olympic Games: Where Will the World Party Next?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

305 replies to this topic

Souris

Souris

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2012 @ 1:02 PM

Has Charlotte ever explored it? They've got the Panthers' stadium and the Bobcats' arena, plus the Whitewater Center and Lake Norman. But, again, traffic would be a killer. They'd have to do a hell of a lot of expansion on the Lynx light rail.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Aug 7, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

Does anybody know if the traffic and subway usage got worse once the London Games went into the work week, like everybody was expecting? In Los Angeles in 1984, everybody was sure gridlock would ensue, so everybody stayed home, and traffic was the lightest ever.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2012 @ 7:40 PM

About the same - some people were expecting a commuter crush and stayed home, but the tourists made up the shortfall.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2012 @ 4:33 AM

Does anybody know if the traffic and subway usage got worse once the London Games went into the work week, like everybody was expecting? In Los Angeles in 1984, everybody was sure gridlock would ensue, so everybody stayed home, and traffic was the lightest ever.

I'm a Londoner, and while the Games have been on, my Tube (subway) commute into Central London has been easier and less busy than usual. Beforehand after hearing all the predictions I'd considered maybe having to walk in all the way to work, but it hasn't come down to it, it's been fine. I think it's helped that the Games happen during the school/university holidays, so there's no students travelling, and I think some people have arranged to work from home over the two weeks, but still it's been nowhere near as busy as I was expecting. The roads seem okay too.

Even when I went to the Olympic Park last week (I had tickets to the Basketball), the trains weren't all that busy and I got an Overground train there and back where almost everyone had a seat and barely anyone was even standing.

Sarcastico

Sarcastico

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2013 @ 1:25 PM

So does the rioting in Turkey mean that Istanbul will lose the 2020 Olympics?

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 10:38 PM

We'll see.  According to Wikipedia, the IOC will make its decision on September 7.  The problem is who would get the Games if Istanbul loses out.  Tokyo would be a long shot after the 2018 Games in Pyeonchang, South Korea, which would leave Madrid as the winner by default -- but would the IOC (and the rest of the world) really be happy with giving the Games to Europe again for the third time in less than a decade?