Future Olympic Games: Where Will the World Party Next?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

305 replies to this topic

sienna gold

sienna gold

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 3:07 PM

I love looking up the potential olympic game sites and bid cities. According to Wikipedia - there are only three, [Three?] bids for 2018, and there is a bunch for 2022. Here we go:

1: Munich, Germany [it will be the first time Germany would have hosted the Games since, well, the last time time they hosted the Games in 1972: potential "aww" moment; also the first time since they reunified].

2: PyeongChang, South Korea [I've been here. It's gorgeous]. I honestly think South Korea has no chance of hosting these games [Even though they lost 2010 by 2 votes to Canada], because 2008's Beijing Games.

3: Anncey, France [Who will not win because London's got 2012] (Though, one can argue that people thought 2010 going to Vancouver wouldn't have happened because 2002 had Salt Lake City, but here we are).

My personal thoughts would want the games to go to Germany though I think South Korea has a chance. Again, France will end up being screwed here. And - here are the potential choices in 2022; and I really think whoever gets the 2020 bid will determine this [I am hoping for South Africa in 2020!] My personal favourite in the potential list: Dunedin/Queensland, New Zealand. Make it so IoC. [Personal heartthrob choice: Norway. You all know why].

Total List of Potential Hosts. I really hope that the IoC will break the cycle of doing the status quo. Let's discuss!

PRgal

PRgal

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 3:29 PM

If Munich gets 2018, does this mean that they're the only city to have hosted both the Summer and Winter Games? They'd also be the second city to host the games twice (Lake Placid is the other), right?

Lucydevil

Lucydevil

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 3:38 PM

Reno Nevada wants to bid? Dear god no. The slot machine games. And you think the slopes are bad in Vancouver! There is a reason all the skiiers out of Truckee CA/Lake Tahoe are doing so well- the slpoe conditions there are usually worse!

I really wish the South Americans had better teams- it would be great to see the Winter Olympics in Chile or somewhere in the Andes. But I think the entire Chilean winter team was less than 10 athletes, so I doubt this ever happening.

sienna gold

sienna gold

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 3:41 PM

Right. Munich would be the first to host both Summer and Winter Games, and.. I'll have to check. I know London is the only city to have host the game three times. [I think].

Winter olympic stats, thanks to CTVolympics: Innsbruck had it twice, St. Moritz had it twice...Lake Placid had it twice....Cortina D'Ampezzo would have had it twice, as would have Sapparo if not for WW2. [Though, I'm unsure if this is so, or they just moved the games till after].

Lucydevil:

Does that [really] make a difference? [How many athletes a host country has]. I know in a lot of sports automatically give you a berth in competition, regardless how you do in World Cup standings. [Like in Curling, I know they do this]. But even then, I doubt with Brazil hosting the games in 2016, that South America wouldn't get the winter games until maybe 2030s? (and look how long it took them to get the first ones!)

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 3:45 PM

Quebec City is seriously considering bidding for 2022.

sienna gold, you really meant Queenstown right? Queensland is a state in Australia which is hot and tropical - at least on the north side. Queenstown is a quaint ski resort town in NZ on the lakeshore. Queenstown is indeed a nice place to visit. But I am not sure if the infrastructure there is capable to support such major engagement.

Edited by TV Anonymous, Feb 24, 2010 @ 3:52 PM.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 3:51 PM

1: Munich, Germany [it will be the first time Germany would have hosted the Games since, well, the last time time they hosted the Games in 1972: potential "aww" moment; also the first time since they reunified].

I'd say no, partly because I don't want to put up with thousands of media stories about the '72 Olympics, and partly because it's the 100th anniversary of the end of WWI. Not logical, but there you go.

2: PyeongChang, South Korea [I've been here. It's gorgeous]. I honestly think South Korea has no chance of hosting these games [Even though they lost 2010 by 2 votes to Canada], because 2008's Beijing Games.

I say yes to this. In 2018, it'll have been 30 years since South Korea hosted the Summer Olympics. I hope they're not knocked out because of the Beijing Games. It's not even the same country. After all, the US had the the Winter Olympics in 1980, 4 years later had the Summer, 12 years later had the Summer again, and 6 years after that had Winter again.

3: Anncey, France [Who will not win because London's got 2012] (Though, one can argue that people thought 2010 going to Vancouver wouldn't have happened because 2002 had Salt Lake City, but here we are).

For some reason, the idea of a Winter Olympics in France seems so tired.

As for 2022, I'm rooting for Romania. The Winter Olympics & the Carpathian mountains - two great tastes that go great together.

As for New Zealand, they already had Lord of the Rings filmed there. What more do they want?

sienna gold

sienna gold

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 3:52 PM

TVAnonyomous: That would be amazing if they got it. But I really doubt it. It took twenty two years for Canada to get the olympics [and the same amount for America to get them between Squaw Valley & Lake Placid, Lake Placid & Salt Lake City] And funny! Eight years between both USA [Lake Placid (Sarajevo) Calgary and then Salt Lake City (Torino) Vancouver).

So - either QC will have to have an AMAZING bid [which may be a waste of money] to get 2022, or may have to wait 22 years. ...

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 3:56 PM

sienna gold, think positive and make a change. It only took 12 years / 3 cycles from Los Angeles in 1984 to Atlanta in 1996. And yet Chicago wanted it for 2016.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 3:59 PM

From this article:

PyeongChang can be described as an Olympic Games host city without a scheduled date. They bid for the 2010 and 2014 Games and lost both times by the narrowest of margins. So what did they do? They began to prepare anyways by building a ski jump tower, a biathlon venue, and a new ski resort designed to accomodate the Olympic family and Olympic athletes.

Jumping the gun a bit, are they? Then again, it sounds like a lot of people think that PyeongChang has a good shot at the 2018 games. However, it looks like they lost their previous two bids by only two and four votes respectively, so maybe their bad luck will continue.

Edited by tip and fall, Feb 24, 2010 @ 4:02 PM.

sienna gold

sienna gold

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 4:09 PM

tip and fall - hee. That's kind of funny. But I think that might be what pushes things in their favour. If the venues are already there - that's like less stuff Korea will have to do. Now - I wonder if Munich will get all busy, and follow suit.

I have to wonder. If you get the Olympics - do you get money? Because if you don't - to me if you truly wanted the games [i]eventually[i], or at least start hosting World Cup events to show IoC that you are ready to host a bigger one; wouldn't you start building Olympic venues? This way - even if takes you a [long, long] while, if you become a host city, poof! All is done. [And - you aren't like Greece, struggling to get the venues ready in time].

If QC, got them - that would be amazing. :) So, I'll be crossing fingers for that inside :)

BenjamiNushmutt

BenjamiNushmutt

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 4:29 PM

My understanding is that PyeongChang is the heavy favorite for 2018, mostly because of continental rotation, which isn't official policy but is near enough to it. 2018 will be 10 years since Beijing 2008, the last games in Asia, and 20 since the last Asian Winter games, Nagano 1998, and, as mentioned, 30 years since the last Korean games. Europe, by contrast, will have just finished London 2012 and Sochi 2014 (though it is a bit of an odd duck in the continental placement of things, I think its still firmly European), not to mention Turin and Athens being relatively close, at least compared to Nagano. Asia will be due for an Olympics, and PyeongChang will have excellent infrastructure and will be coming off two strong bids.

2022 really depends on 2020, and 2020 really depends on how Rio 2016 will be treated in the rotation. A one off oddball, at least until South America is built up enough to hold the games regularly? Or will they treat the Americas as one region? Because if they don't, North America has a good shot at 2020, because we won't have a games between this one and then. And then there's the question of when South Africa will get its chance. While I think 2018 is PyeongChang's to lose, 2020 and 2022 are way up in the air.

Edited by BenjamiNushmutt, Feb 24, 2010 @ 4:31 PM.

JennyBeans

JennyBeans

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 4:48 PM

2022 really depends on 2020, and 2020 really depends on how Rio 2016 will be treated in the rotation. A one off oddball, at least until South America is built up enough to hold the games regularly? Or will they treat the Americas as one region? Because if they don't, North America has a good shot at 2020, because we won't have a games between this one and then.

The USOC won't submit a bid for 2020. Fallout from Chicago's bid.

Apparently they know they have a lot of ground to make up with the IOC and don't want any city to waste as much money as Chicago did.

Makes me sad to go through Washington Park every day and think of what could have been if the USOC hadn't screwed it up. (Yes, I know all the pro/con arguments, I lived through the whole debate and am completely clear on all the issues)

soymilk

soymilk

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 4:53 PM

The story behind Innsbruck's second Winter Olympics, in case anybody's wondering why they got them again only 12 years after their first.

redpencil

redpencil

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 5:06 PM

I'm from Denver and was going to mention that. I'm really curious about the potential 2022 bid for Denver. Would the IOC hold a grudge because of what happened in 1976 (which would have been perfect, as it was Colorado's centennial year, not to mention the nation's bicentennial)? Or would they approach it fresh?

NYC Dave

NYC Dave

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 5:09 PM

AFAIK, 2018 is still a 2-horse race between Korea and Germany. Pyoengchang would be the favorite based on continental rotation (and not that it actually matters, but it would be the 4th straight Olympics in Asia in years ending in 8), but from what I've heard, the IOC has basically told them they need to find something new with their bid or else that could work against them. Munich obviously could put together a very strong bid, although we'll see how the bloc voting goes, especially if there are some strong European candidates in the running for 2020.

Right now, the 2020 Olympics are South Africa's to lose. If they get good reviews from the World Cup this summer, than Cape Town is going to put in a bid, and I think they're going to win it. We know no United States city will bid, so that pretty much eliminates the Americas from contention. If Pyoengchang gets 2018, that probably eliminates anyone from Asia, including Tokyo who we know is going after it again. There will certainly be a European city or 2 in the mix (I read recently that Madrid is bidding again), so who knows how that will go. True it would be a little strange to see 2 straight Summer Olympics in new locations and in the southern hemisphere, but I think the IOC would love to put a games in Africa sooner rather than later.

Red Rabbit

Red Rabbit

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 5:11 PM

I'd love to see it in Munich. 1936 were the Nazi games and 1972 was such a horrific disaster, I'm hoping third time's a charm and they can finally have a games they can be proud of.

Also rooting for South Africa because I'd love to see the games on the African continent.

Edited by Red Rabbit, Feb 24, 2010 @ 5:20 PM.

3 is enough

3 is enough

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 6:03 PM

I think Toronto is considering bidding for the 2020 Summer Games. I know it is only 10 years after Vancouver, but Calgary got the 1988 Games only 12 years after Montreal, and, after all, the last Summer Games in North America was Atlanta in 1996.

I do agree, though, that if the World Cup goes well this summer, South Africa is the front runner.

OHgamer

OHgamer

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 6:14 PM

I expect Istanbul, Turkey to try again in 2024, which will be the centenary of the establishment of the Turkish Republic. Turkey is one of the few Muslim-majority nations I can see the IOC considering as a host (perhaps Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia also). Also might see Erzurum or Ankara, Turkey consider a Winter games bid in 2022 or 2026.

And I'd not be surprised if we see a bid from Delhi in 2020 (esp if Cape Town doesn't bid for 2020) or 2024 as well, especially if the upcoming Commonwealth Games go well. India's not hosted a Games, and given its economic growth it might very well be considered time to have it host (especially as the other 3 BRIC countries, Brazil, Russia and China, have all had or will have a games by 2016).

Edited by OHgamer, Feb 24, 2010 @ 6:16 PM.

BeagleOne

BeagleOne

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 6:14 PM

When did Munich host the Winter Games?

sienna gold

sienna gold

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 6:17 PM

Begale: they never did. Munich hosted the 1972 Summer Games. They're bidding to host the 2018 games.

OHgamer

OHgamer

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 6:17 PM

"When did Munich host the Winter Games?"

Garmisch-Parkenkirchen (sp), south of Munich in the Bavarian Alps, hosted the 36 Winter Games

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 6:46 PM

OHgamer:

I expect Istanbul, Turkey to try again in 2024, which will be the centenary of the establishment of the Turkish Republic. Turkey is one of the few Muslim-majority nations I can see the IOC considering as a host (perhaps Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia also). Also might see Erzurum or Ankara, Turkey consider a Winter games bid in 2022 or 2026.

KL? Where exactly will the have it? More importantly, where will they get the snow? Genting? Cameron? Not cold enough, not even close.

soymilk

soymilk

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 6:51 PM

The nations that have won the most medals but have never hosted an Olympics:

Summer
1. Hungary
2. Romania
3. Poland
4. Bulgaria
5. Cuba

Winter
1. Finland
2. Sweden
3. Netherlands
4. China
5. South Korea

I didn't include Russia in the Winter list because of Sochi.

Edited by soymilk, Feb 24, 2010 @ 6:51 PM.

redpencil

redpencil

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 7:27 PM

KL? Where exactly will the have it? More importantly, where will they get the snow? Genting? Cameron? Not cold enough, not even close.

I assume that the original poster meant KL could be considered for a Summer Games.

OHgamer

OHgamer

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 8:58 PM

"I assume that the original poster meant KL could be considered for a Summer Games. "

Correct, which is why I paired it with Istanbul.

I also think Santiago Chile would be a great Winter Games host, given Chile's excellent skiing infrastructure. Would be a great way to boost winter sports involvement in South America,

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 11:21 PM

Well, their Kompleks Sukan Negara in Bukit Jalil is certainly good enough for an Olympic, even though additional venues are definitely needed. The problem with Malaysia are:

1. They do not have the experience hosting Asian Games. All Asian city hosting the Summer Games have previously hosted Asian Games. This argument could be countered with their hosting Commonwealth Games.

2. They do not have good Olympic achievement. To date, Malaysia only won 4 Olympic medals, 2 silvers and 2 bronzes. All are from badminton. Basically, Malaysia is not a sporting powerhouse.

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2010 @ 7:07 AM

I know there's been talk on and off about Brisbane, Australia going for 2020. I had so much fun in Sydney but I'd hate to have to subject anyone else to the horrific Brisbane heat. (think of all the problems that happen during the Australian Tennis Open and then add humidity. I've played sport in Brisbane and its horrific)

sienna gold

sienna gold

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2010 @ 9:21 AM

Reny Sue - I've heard that. Brisbane is MISERABLE in the summer. Which is why I don't get why Toronto wants the games. Toronto is MISERABLE in the summer. [Well, I just hate summer, so any summer is miserable to me].

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2010 @ 10:59 AM

A Canadian who hate summer? Now I heard everything!

Summer is really a rare commodity in Canada so Canadians I know really basking in the summer and go out to get to the very last drop of summer and warm weather.

I just can't imagine the gridlock the games will create in TO since Buffalo Bills alone put downtown to a halt. The main venue will certainly be Skydome, right? It can't be Rogers Centre for an Olympic.

PRgal

PRgal

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2010 @ 11:12 AM

""" If Toronto ever gets the Summer Games, it will surely be recycling venues from the PanAm 2015 games. I also won't be surprised if venues in Muskoka and even Kingston, Ontario will be used. If they're going to go to Kingston, it would mean that the city has been a venue for the Summer Games of two different cities, since the sailing events were there during Montreal 1976.