Hoarding: Buried Alive (TLC)

• Please log in to reply

3527 replies to this topic

discoprincess

discoprincess

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 8:33 AM

Back in the day, these places did have pension plans, that later transformed into 401Ks. Those types of jobs are completely gone now

I had suspected that the twins' retirement plan was structured in this manner: the old-school retirement plan of yesteryear. Are they old enough to start drawing (full) Social Security?

For 30 years "We tried," meant they could continue working in the bakery even though they never bathed, they just "tried," by rubbing a cold cloth over face and hands.

Could you imagine being the member of the company brass who had to have that conversation with the twins?

Edited by discoprincess, Apr 19, 2013 @ 8:35 AM.

jerseydevil

jerseydevil

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 11:08 AM

Even if the twins weren't old enough to actually "retire," the bakery may have offered them early retirement or a buyout option. Companies will sometimes do this rather fire someone outright and then have to deal with a litigious former employee, especially if the company was downsizing or going out of business. Since the twins had worked for the bakery for 30 years and there were two of them, the company may have taken the easy way out.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 11:09 AM

Another case of a death in the family completely throwing people for a loop and ruining the rest of their lives. Their poor brother died 40 years ago! Are they honoring his memory by living like slobs?

I think the dead brother is a handy excuse. Interesting that the parents were never mentioned. Assuming that they are no longer alive, I would think their passing would have more of an effect. I wonder if either of the twins ever had a friendship outside the sisterhood.

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 11:16 AM

I wonder if either of the twins ever had a friendship outside the sisterhood.

I wondered if they were virgins. Geez, they practically flirted with eachother in the opening introductions. It was odd & creepy.

If I live to be 100, I will never be able to comprehend how people can defecate in a bathtub and NEVER throw away ANY trash.

I tuned out for a minute and missed that part. I came back to when they were talking about checking into a motel if they need a bath. What did they say they did? They pooped and peed in the tub? Every time they went? Like every day? I was wondering because while it was the most disguisting bathtub I've ever seen, it wasn't filled to the brim with feces. Do they just wash it down? Sorry to be so graphic, but I completely missed that part.

That's one thing if I even decided to be a hoarder (and I never would, but you know...figureatively) I'd at least keep one side of the bed cleaned off for sleeping and the toilet working and flushable for going potty.

When they were walking through trash, I spotted an empty Doritos bag and it had an old Doritos logo! I know they were only there less than 5 years, but I swear I saw it.

Edited by ShaNaeNae, Apr 19, 2013 @ 11:24 AM.

kitkat68

kitkat68

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 11:20 AM

Geez, they practically flirted with eachother in the opening introductions. It was creepy.

Please help me, my mind just went there.

AZChristian

AZChristian

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 11:25 AM

IMO, the twins do have some mental issues. Back in the old days, we would have referred to them as "simple-minded."

I, too, had a brother who died (I was 20, he was 26). It broke my heart, but grief should be dealt with and we should honor the lives of those who have died by living life to the fullest. That the twins could still burst into tears 40+ years after the event means that SOMEONE dropped the ball in getting them into grief counseling. Were there no teachers, guidance counselors, Sunday School teachers, extended family members who tried to get them help? If the parents were equally devastated at the death of the son/brother, where were THEIR siblings (e.g., the mother of the cousin who appeared). Did they try to help? Did they give up?

These ladies need to have someone who will keep an eye on them. They are childlike in their thought processes, and need to be "made" to clean up after themselves. They have to be accountable to a therapist or a family member, just for their own personal health and safety. Rather than assisted living, a home aide might be enough, if that person is there 2-3 times a week to check on them and keep after them about the trash.

Just my thoughts.

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 11:40 AM

AZChristian, was grief counseling a known thing, or a regular deal back then? I mean, I know it was around obviously, but is it something regular, middle-America people did? It seems that the twins never really had any type of special-needs counseling, so I'd be surprised if anyone even thought of grief counseling for them. That's why I'm wondering what scenarios like that were like back then (I was just born during that time).

If the parents were equally devastated at the death of the son/brother, where were THEIR siblings (e.g., the mother of the cousin who appeared). Did they try to help? Did they give up?

Didn't one of the cousins say the mom was so grief stricken she never even had a funeral for him? She didn't want to believe he was dead.

AZChristian

AZChristian

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 11:55 AM

Counseling back then was not as prevalent as it is now. Makes you wonder about "what came first, the chicken or the egg." Do we have more counseling now because people HAVE more mental illness, or did the availability of more counseling make us recognize - and treat - more mental illness? I don't have an answer.

I do know that "back then" (I'm 66), discussions of personal problems were not as open. Sexual abuse was often swept under the rug, and it was common that people "didn't want to get involved." I think we tended to just look at situations like the twins' upbringing and figure it wasn't "our" problem to deal with.

One thing I try to live by is a phrase I saw on a plaque: "I wondered why SOMEBODY didn't do SOMETHING, and then I realized that I AM SOMEBODY." I'm not a busybody, but I do believe in helping others where I can.

PikoMonkey

PikoMonkey

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 12:17 PM

When I watch "Hoarders" I don't want to almost cry, I want to point/laugh/gag.

I guess it just hits too close to home for me, but I want to grab, shake, and yell. I know the 'therapists' say not to get angry and blow up at the hoarders because it will cause them to shut down, but the thing is, we see them coddle and cater to these hoarders and a majority of them shut down anyway. What's the difference?

When they were walking through trash, I spotted an empty Doritos bag and it had an old Doritos logo! I know they were only there less than 5 years, but I swear I saw it.

Not that I doubt these women would hoard an old Doritos bag from house to house, but I vaguely remember there was a series of 'throwback' Doritos bags, maybe last year or so.

melissa1925

melissa1925

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 12:31 PM

The fact that they check into a hotel to take a shower 'when they need to' and i'm guessing that they don't pee/poop in the hotel's bathtub. This makes them even more disgusting because they know it's wrong to do that.

Edited by melissa1925, Apr 19, 2013 @ 12:37 PM.

discoprincess

discoprincess

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 12:51 PM

I wondered if they were virgins. Geez, they practically flirted with eachother in the opening introductions. It was odd & creepy.

I'd prefer to think that they are so velcroed to each other that there is no room for any man to come in between them (no sexual pun intended!).

kitkat68

kitkat68

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 9:22 PM

WTF Denise?

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 9:34 PM

Every hoarder should have a friend like Denise had (Barbara?). She let Denise know that she cared, but was definite in her disapproval ("Hell no!").

I felt so sorry for her tenants--I'd have moved long ago.

If Denise was close to bankruptcy and in foreclosure, how did she pay for a new bathtub, toilet & sink?

jerseydevil

jerseydevil

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 10:01 PM

Barbara was better than half the so-called "psychologists" on this show. Her comments to Denise were absolutely spot on! However, if I were Lalie (?) and my children were being bitten by insects and mice, I would have been out of that apartment like a bat out of hell.
I can only guess that the rent on that apartment must be dirt cheap to keep her from moving. I know I would certainly not be that forgiving of someone who had put me and my children through years of misery.
As to how Denise could afford to pay for new fixtures and renovations? That's why she needs Lalie to not move.

Auntie Anxiety

Auntie Anxiety

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 11:04 PM

Tonight's show really pissed me off. That hoarder has had three cancer surgeries yet still smokes (gee, where could she possibly be getting the money for that), has trouble getting around but clutters her place until it is near impossible to walk through a room (so that she can trip and fall and find herself back in the hospital on the taxpayers' dime), puts her tenants' health in danger (hanta virus anyone?) and I'm supposed to feel sorry for her? Selfish jerk.

Toaster Strudel

Toaster Strudel

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 11:15 PM

When she said that she'd need 2 or 3 dumpsters, instead of the usual 1, she looked like she was bursting with pride.

She's not like those loser hoarders that can only fill a single dumpster. She's better!

Galloways Cave

Galloways Cave

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 11:17 PM

Did the basement get cleaned up too? That is where many of the mice seemed to be living. Unless they cleaned both the basement and Denise's apartment AND did a fumigation, they will continue to have a problem. I hope Lalie goes after Denise for the hospital bills she had to pay. And if the upstairs bathroom was all clogged up, what did that do to the downstairs plumbing? Denise never did come out and really say what she was doing potty-wise. Was it adult diapers or poop in a bag? No piss bottles in sight.

Denise still had that horrible, grungy computer keyboard at the end. Nasty.

How she managed to survive in that house after her surgeries and cancer is beyond me.

AZChristian

AZChristian

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 11:19 PM

Sorry - I just saw a whole lot of professional victim there. I'm sorry for her actual health issues, but her psychological issues are much worse . . . extreme selfishness and no concern for her tenants and their children - other than her concern that they might move out and impact HER financial situation.

HalfDutch

HalfDutch

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 12:32 AM

extreme selfishness and no concern for her tenants and their children

Not to mention Denise's dog. That animal had to have all kinds of health issues as well. That's another form of cruelty. At least it's not as bad as where people find dead cats(!) or that one where the woman found a dead, mummified snake in her mother's room.

If I were the downstairs tenant, I would have demanded a city inspection or moved out long ago.

I can only guess that the rent on that apartment must be dirt cheap to keep her from moving.

Emphasis on dirt! I could never be civil to someone who had hoarded to that extent it was making my child's life hell. Lawsuit!

Edited by HalfDutch, Apr 25, 2013 @ 12:33 AM.

jerseydevil

jerseydevil

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 7:32 AM

I would have suggested a lawsuit, too, but I don't think Denise has anything but the house in the way of assets, and it is in foreclosure. That would make a lawsuit an exercise in futility.
As to animal cruelty, Denise had two dogs and a cat. I hope to God she took them to the vet for treatment for the fleas and who knows what else they must have.
Bathroom-wise, I hesitate to even mention this, but the sink in the bathroom looked like it was completely filled with brown sludgy matter. I will need some brain bleach to erase that picture from my head.
ToAuntie Anxiety and AZChristian you are so right. Selfish professional victim!

immunodan

immunodan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 8:18 AM

That sink was horrifying. Please pass the brain bleach after you are done with it.

That was one serious mouse infestation in the basement. I would've hated to be on duty to clean up that space. I don't think you could've paid me enough money to spend the day down there. I wonder if it was even dealt with.

discoprincess

discoprincess

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 9:19 AM

Denise had MRSA? That is a serious infection. Ugh.

You would figure that she would have kept her purse in her sight or within her reach during the cleanup.

I actually felt pleasantly surprised that she was accepting so much personal responsibility for the situation & condition of the home...[snip]and she actually worked alongside the people to clean & allowed them to plow through all the stuff without much interference.

I will give Denise credit for that. She was willing to let go a lot of the crap. The only time she hesitated was when her purse was accidentally thrown in the trash.

Edited by discoprincess, Apr 25, 2013 @ 10:41 AM.

ObstinantGirl

ObstinantGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 9:32 AM

Wow, I had such a different reaction to this episode. I actually felt pleasantly surprised that she was accepting so much personal responsibility for the situation & condition of the home...she seemed genuinely upset about her tenant's daughter being bitten (by mice? bugs?)...and she actually worked alongside the people to clean & allowed them to plow through all the stuff without much interference. And her place was, though no palace, a completely different place afterwards. I agree that we didn't hear a word about the basement conditions --- was there any cleanup done down there? So that was frustrating. But overall I thought this was a fairly positive episode, with a good outcome...and it seemed hopeful that she'll actually keep up improved living conditions.

When they played the ominous music about her lost purse, I thought "oh, geez, here we go". And I doubted that there actually WAS a missing purse/phone she was desperate to locate...that this was her way of disrupting the cleanup. But, lo and behold, that wasn't the case! It was found, they went back to work.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 11:03 AM

With the twins, I wondered if the parents money had been left in a trust for them, because even with two good pension plans, to keep buying houses is expensive, and if they've left them all trashed, or they've been seized, you probably losing money on each one. Wasn't this at least their second house?
With Denise, I had a big problem with the people from the show knowing what was going on, and allowing those children to remain in hazardous conditions.
People making TV shows on subjects who endanger children should be among those required by law to report.
I can't imagine why Laila stayed unless she didn't have the money to leave.
Aside from the filth and vermin, the weight load of the top unit could have caused a collapse.
If Denise manages to save and keep the house, (didn't she say she was in foreclosure?), I really hope she leaves it to Laila, because she and her family earned it.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 11:43 AM

They showed a few pictures of Denise as a child, and they were creepy. No smile, dead eyes, in every single photo.

suzeecat

suzeecat

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 11:52 AM

They showed a few pictures of Denise as a child, and they were creepy. No smile, dead eyes, in every single photo.

This! Those pictures looked like a serial-killer-as-a-child. She looks much more "normal" today, but wow, scary-looking kid!

And I too want to know about the basement.

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 12:32 PM

They didn't show any family for Denise and I always think some of these hoarders are terribly lonely and they pile up stuff to feel safe. It of course doesn't excuse the filth and especially the vermin that had infested the tenants unit. I would have longed moved away, but I know from friends who are renters that it is hard to come up with a security deposit, first month's rent, moving expenses etc in Chicago.

I always wonder at the back story of these people. In the picture they showed of Denise in 1986 (not sure of the year), she already had piles of stuff next to her. I wonder if she was ever married, had siblings or close friends. etc.

jerseydevil

jerseydevil

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 1:44 PM

I have to agree they did leave out a few important details regarding the cleanup. They never said whether or not the basement was cleaned out, nor did they mention if the house had been completely fumigated for bugs and rodents. If those issues were not addressed, then the cleanup was only cosmetic and Laila's children are still being bitten.
ETA: Considering how high the damp, fecal laden trash was piled up, shouldn't Denise have had to replace the drywall in many areas of the house? It was never mentioned when she listed the repairs/improvements she had made. The floors looked better than I thought they would have, but they still needed re-finishing.

Edited by jerseydevil, Apr 25, 2013 @ 1:47 PM.

stineD

stineD

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 3:36 PM

No sympathy from me for parents who keep their children in uninhabitable conditions. They are even more irresponsible than the hoarder, because it is their duty to protect their own children. I don't care how cheap the rent was... move. They weren't being imprisoned. There is no way they would have a lawsuit against the hoarder landlord, when they were there voluntarily, didn't bother to call the city, didn't move. Those parents should have been turned into CPS.

iamgreeny

iamgreeny

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 3:39 PM

First time poster on this board, please bear with me.

When I first tuned in to the twins episode I thought they were a couple. I thought to myself 'Wow they look alot alike' then the announcer said sisters. I was flabbergasted. Creepy is definitly the word.
It was bothering me that one of the sisters appeared to be genuinely trying to sort stuff but the other was extremely resistant.

As for Denise, something felt fishy to me about her from the start of the show. The way she was surprised the bugs and mice were in the bottom apt. Of course they are, their in your apt & basement you think they just decided to leave the tenants alone out of courtesy? Although it did look like she cared abut the tenants and didn't want the little girl getting bit.

I don't watch this show often. I find it makes me sad/angry/depressed & confused as to how someone lets it get that far without realizing something is wrong. Maybe it's just me but I can't imagine ever being content to climb over garbage & whatever else just to get to a small space to sit/sleep. Let alone live with pests & rodents. I guess that's what happens when your not playing with a full deck.