6-5: "Lighthouse" 2010.02.23 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

561 replies to this topic

just watching2

just watching2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2010 @ 7:57 PM

So them just sitting around, not doing anything to infected Sayid is actually consistent with that.

Except that if Sayid's about to become the horrible psycho-killing-machine monster they seem to think he is going to, it makes even less sense for them to just allow Sayid to wander freely through their sanctuary, candidate or not.

That's an excellent point zelmia. Isn't this tantamount to invite a vampire? Shouldn't they keep Sayid out of the Temple before he's completely turned and kills them all.

MizzO

MizzO

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 1, 2010 @ 11:05 PM

Finally, the real recap! Thank you! It's kind of late tonight, but I want to read it tomorrow. (Voting for "Juilet" now.) And I keep hoping someone besides me saw "Ghost Mirror" written on Hugo's arm and thinks it's even a little interesting.

This episode grew on me and I liked the way they reversed so many of the storylines from "White Rabbit", from the first season. That's the one with the original quote "you don't have what it takes" that was from Christian Shepard, detailed Jack following his father to Australia at his mother's demands, his grief at his father's death, etc. and his personal wrestling with seeibg that "ghost" or hallucination of his father.

The Myst-like images, the use of reflections again..it means something or they know how to makes things look spooky. Someone mentioned "Peeping Tom" in this thread , I thought. In any case, the way they used distorted images and reflections reminded me of that film, also.

lateralmile

lateralmile

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2010 @ 3:59 AM

MizzO, looking at screencaps of Hurley's arm, I think it's supposed to say "GIANT MIRROR". It's too sloppy and smudged to tell for sure, though.

WrenLet

WrenLet

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 2, 2010 @ 10:29 AM

That's an excellent point zelmia. Isn't this tantamount to invite a vampire? Shouldn't they keep Sayid out of the Temple before he's completely turned and kills them all.

That's true, but my point was that they can't uninvite him, force him to leave, lock him in a room, etc., because he's still a candidate. I'm sure they'd like to.

oldsword

oldsword

Video Archivist

• Interests:Lost, Veronica Mars, PLLs, Vampire Diaries

Posted Mar 2, 2010 @ 11:01 AM

That's true, but my point was that they can't uninvite him, force him to leave, lock him in a room, etc., because he's still a candidate. I'm sure they'd like to.

So does this mean that Claire isn't a candidate and the LITTLETON we see on the cave wall is not Claire? Because she was claimed and she's not in the Temple anymore. Unless she escaped on her own free will?

snaggle

snaggle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2010 @ 12:27 PM

So does this mean that Claire isn't a candidate and the LITTLETON we see on the cave wall is not Claire? Because she was claimed and she's not in the Temple anymore. Unless she escaped on her own free will?

Littleton was crossed off on the cave wall. I think once your crossed off, you are not an eligible candidate.

just watching2

just watching2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2010 @ 12:51 PM

But he's not, same as Claire is no longer a candidate, Sayid is no longer a candidate too. They said so themselves, the process is irreversible, to keep him in is more of a risk than to keep him out.

WrenLet

WrenLet

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 2, 2010 @ 1:20 PM

Littleton was crossed off on the cave wall. I think once your crossed off, you are not an eligible candidate.

Exactly....

But he's not, same as Claire is no longer a candidate, Sayid is no longer a candidate too.

But we haven't seen his name crossed off yet. Have we? (There's a chance I'm misremembering, of course.) It may be that he's been claimed and therefore is obviously no longer a viable candidate, but until he's been "officially" eliminated, the templars are bound by the rules.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Mar 2, 2010 @ 1:44 PM

But we haven't seen his name crossed off yet. Have we? (There's a chance I'm misremembering, of course.) It may be that he's been claimed and therefore is obviously no longer a viable candidate, but until he's been "officially" eliminated, the templars are bound by the rules.

But we don't know who the one responsible for doing the crossing off. Maybe it has typically been Jacob, and he was the one who crossed out Littleton, but now he is dead and if Sayid was claimed after Jacob's death maybe there is no one to cross him off.

WrenLet

WrenLet

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 2, 2010 @ 2:00 PM

But we don't know who the one responsible for doing the crossing off. Maybe it has typically been Jacob, and he was the one who crossed out Littleton, but now he is dead and if Sayid was claimed after Jacob's death maybe there is no one to cross him off.

That's true, and a good point. We did see Flocke cross off Locke's name from the cave roof, though, and he left Sayid's.

The templars might be stuck on a technicality, or engaging in some cya/better-safe-than-sorry behavior. I'm thinking of it like witnessing a foul when playing soccer or something; it doesn't matter if you saw something illegal, if the ref didn't see it, the game's going to keep going. In this case, the ref might unavailable as a result of having been pushed into the fire, but there isn't any mechanism for them to make the call themselves.

ETA - I think the issue I'm running up against is that the templars seem to be bound by some rules that are outside their control. We don't necessarily know who's controlling the game, but it's pretty clear from what Dogen said that it's not them.

Edited by WrenLet, Mar 2, 2010 @ 2:09 PM.

MizzO

MizzO

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2010 @ 3:42 PM

Lateralmile, thank you.

... looking at screencaps of Hurley's arm, I think it's supposed to say "GIANT MIRROR". It's too sloppy and smudged to tell for sure, though

It's not the first time I've felt like Emily Litella.

I knew it was a a true McGuffin but it was a bit of fun to play with it. I won't say "nevermind" to myself, but I'm close.

GowdenJo

GowdenJo

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 2, 2010 @ 4:02 PM

If 108 is Wallace, 109 better be Gromit...

Question: Would the axe blow to Justin's stomach really have killed him that quickly? I know this isn't really important, and it's kind of morbid, but it's bugging me. Wouldn't he have had time to, I dunno, talk a little? Give Jin some more info? Maybe Jin should have asked him a few more questions while he had the time?

I think Claire is so totally off her rocker that if the 3-year old Aaron was presented before her, she wouldn't believe it's her kid. She thinks Aaron is still a baby. Glad she was nice to Jin, though.

cycat

cycat

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2010 @ 8:50 PM

Dogen's 'agelessness' seems to be based on speculation that he was a WW2 Japanesse pilot shot down over the island, which whilst making for a good story, has zero evidence.

It's also based partially on the fact that Dogen appears to be Richard's counterpart in some sense, in the Other hierarchy. If Richard is ageless, it's not unreasonable to posit that other Others might be, as well.

Of course, seeing AU Dogen at the recital suggests that he actually is a contemporary dude, after all.

Pallas429

Pallas429

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2010 @ 10:39 AM

Yes: Dogen made that point to Jack. Dogen can -- and has been presuming to -- act as if he can command the Candidates. But in fact, when push comes to shout (not shove), the Candidates can do anything they say they want to: leave at will, as in Sawyer, Kate and Jin, or even order Dogen around, as in Hurley, in the inner sanctum.

Jeremy Billones

Jeremy Billones

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 3, 2010 @ 11:10 AM

I think the Enhanced version of Lighthouse finally told me something I didn't know -- Jack himself plays the piano (or at least did while being held captive by the Others back in S3).

Adds a little more meaning to having his son play it too.

NoWillToResist

NoWillToResist

Stalker

Posted Mar 3, 2010 @ 12:00 PM

If 108 is Wallace, 109 better be Gromit...

I love you. Gromit would've sorted all this shit out back in season one. He's a smartie. :) Can you imagine the epic eye-rolling he'd have done, witnessing the stupidity around him?

Edited by NoWillToResist, Mar 3, 2010 @ 12:02 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Mar 3, 2010 @ 12:27 PM

And then Vincent would have had someone to hang out with.

oldsword

oldsword

Video Archivist

• Interests:Lost, Veronica Mars, PLLs, Vampire Diaries

Posted Mar 4, 2010 @ 12:45 AM

I still want to know how the heck the mirrors in the lighthouse can show places around the world. For something built 'before electricity', that's pretty impressive technology right there!

pitchy

pitchy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 5, 2010 @ 6:24 AM

Zuleikha

MiB is not doing right by Claire, as close as anyone on the island comes to being a goodhearted innocent. But Jacob hardly seems on the side of the angels given the pain he's willing to have done in his name. I think they're both jerks who are way too willing to sacrifice people they believe are lesser, and I don't think it's a coincidence that most people are better off in the sideways universe.

MIB seems pretty threatening and dark to me, but one could make a case for his 'protecting' Claire by having her crazy and murderous.

The guy she axed (Justin?) had told Jin that if he untied him he would just go break Claire's neck and save them both. So, considering that mindset, Claire could come across as quite rational when she 'explained' she killed him because otherwise he would have killed her.

But I'm, along with several here, believing that MIB and MIW are both slightly different balances of 'good' and 'bad' in the way Dogen explained, re the yin and yang configuration that makes up each person.

So, in a way, if that's a real clue, then we did get one semi-answer, one that applies to both Jacob and Smokey.

When Dogen explained his background to Sayid, Sayid suddenly realized (maybe) that Jacob controlled Dogen through manipulation via a horrible incident not unsimilar to the situation with Nadia when Jacob was talking with him (and she was standing looking at them).

It could be said that Sayid suddenly thought of Dogen as 'infected' (from the other side) and decided he had to kill him even if it meant this made himself a murderer again.

So, when Ben saw him later, he told Ben something along the lines that for himself, it was too late (can't remember -- something like "Not for me..." time remaining to get away)... He had run away from his darker solutions and had just given in again to being what he didn't want to be.

Just another theory of the moment.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

Crazy Claire is totally creepy. What was in that cradle? It looked like a skull, a dead animal maybe? The black smoke guy is her friend? Be afraid Jin, be very, very afraid!

I guess Jack is figuring out that Jacob was the one responsible for all of them coming to the Island. I wonder about the reasons they are supposed to be coming to the Island and what Jack’s purpose is.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

I think this was the first episode of Season 6 that I liked more. Maybe it's because Jack's life in the "flashsideways" was quite different from his old life, with a son, so it didn't feel repetitive. Yeah, the "baby" looked like a dead squirrel or something.

Edited by Camera One, May 15, 2012 @ 9:52 PM.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

I found Jack being a dad weird, but I can't say I thought he was a bad dad. It just seemed off to me. I can't really peg Jack...sometimes I hate him and sometimes I really like him.