Vampire Diaries Mythology

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

72 replies to this topic

LolaRuns

LolaRuns

Stalker

Posted Feb 16, 2010 @ 7:52 PM

Stolen from the TVD vs. Other Shows topic.

We have established that apparently daylight walking is related to jewelry and that the item in question only works for the one specific vampire it was made for.

Would you say that this kind of jewelry/spell making skill is very rare? Maybe that even Emily was the only one was capable of it? That would certainly explain why Lexi didn't have one even though she too was friends with a witch. Admittedly, we haven't met a lot of older vampires yet that aren't connected to Katherine/Emily, but if there are other witches with this skill I would kinda assume that every vamp of a certain age/with a certain amount of experience would be a daywalker/would have found himself a witch to make a charm for them.

Another thing I find interesting is that there seem to be no major sideeffects other than healing from drinking vampire blood (since both Bonnie and Elena had the honor). I'm kinda used to shows like Blade or True Blood where drinking vampire blood gives a human temporary vamp powers or at least a big high.

One thing I wonder about: can tvd witches also be vampires? Do you presume that a witch would lose her powers if she was turned?`Because if not, why wouldn't more witches let themselves be turned?

fengshoe

fengshoe

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2010 @ 8:16 PM

They mention it in the show that the rings are made of lapis lazuli, from I know of the books this is all that is needed to be protected from the sun. In the show I think the stone is still needed with the added spell that does in fact make it vampire specific. Katherine's cameo necklace is blue and Pearl is seeing wearing a necklace that has a blue in it, so I imagine those are their charms. I would also like to know though if the spell was something Emily only knew or if a powerful enough witch is required because you would think 350 year old Lexi could've found a witch to make her a similar charm if any witch could do it.

I would like to know more about the witch mythology, for instance can men be witches as well? Grams mentions all the women in the Bennett family are witches, so I assume that women as witches are far more predominate if anything. Also more exploration of what a witch can do exactly other than spells, Bonnie starts with being able to predict things. Grams does that mental bitchslap to Damon. As well as the shared history of vampires and witches, they seem to dislike each other but can be grudging allies when needed.

We all know that werewolves were implied with what happened with Tyler a few episodes back with the full moon oh so subtly in the background. It is still up in the air as to whether or not the writers are going to follow through and make werewolves a reality on the show but it makes me wonder if there are other supernatural being other than the main two, possibly three, we've been introduced to in TVD universe.

Redred

Redred

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 4:13 PM

We all know that werewolves were implied with what happened with Tyler a few episodes back with the full moon oh so subtly in the background.

Well this is news to me, I didn't pick up on it. I haven't read the books, so I didn't know werewolves were in the VD mythology. What episodes are the werewolf hints at? And here I was thinking they were hinting at him being gay! lol

But I too am interested in the witches, and also the Council. Do they know about the witches, werewolves and possible other stuff? Would they hunt Bonnie if it came to light there was witch activity in Mystic Falls? It's interesting.

Edited by Redred, Feb 24, 2010 @ 4:13 PM.

mythsnstuff

mythsnstuff

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 5:11 PM

We all know that werewolves were implied with what happened with Tyler a few episodes back with the full moon oh so subtly in the background.

Well this is news to me, I didn't pick up on it. I haven't read the books, so I didn't know werewolves were in the VD mythology. What episodes are the werewolf hints at? And here I was thinking they were hinting at him being gay! lol

It was the episode where Alaric called Mayor Lockwood a douchebag (were they at Career Night?)- the camera lingered on the Timberwolves mascot/logo inside the school, and the moon outside - the implication was that the moon was the cause of the Lockwoods' aggression/douchiness (sp?), and that, therefore, they were possibly werewolves. I don't know about the books, but it was a pretty big anvil in the text of that particular episode.

Edited by mythsnstuff, Feb 24, 2010 @ 5:13 PM.

Redred

Redred

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2010 @ 5:23 PM

It was the episode where Alaric called Mayor Lockwood a douchebag

Oh yeah, I remember that scene, it's were I thought for sure they're going for the gay storyline, lol. I guess I'll rewatch it.

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2010 @ 9:41 PM

Alaric didn't just call him a douchebag but an "alpha male douchebag". More werewolf hinting.

jediylva

jediylva

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 26, 2010 @ 8:29 AM

I'm a bit curious about the Vervain. How come that a herb can be that powerful ? Is that just a way to convinently stop vampires to take over the world in this universe?
And does it only grow in this town? Since it's stated that Damon destroyed all Vervain in Mystic Falls in 1865, can't they bring it from somwhere else? And how did he destroy it? In "magical" way or did he burn every place it grew and then dug up all the soil and dumped it in the ocean? Did he do it in the afterwave of Katerines "death" to punish all humans in town?

Hamnoo

Hamnoo

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2010 @ 3:11 PM

Vervain is actually not just an invention of the Vampire Diaries but a part of the vampire lore itself like crosses. I read up on it on wikipedia ;)

jediylva

jediylva

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 27, 2010 @ 7:41 AM

Vervain is actually not just an invention of the Vampire Diaries but a part of the vampire lore itself like crosses. I read up on it on wikipedia ;)

I didn't know that (and I have read loads and loads of vampire related stuff over the last ten-fifteen years).
But, according to Wikipedia, it's not such an uncommon herb. It grows both in South and North America, as well as in Europe. It doesn't make sense that Zack grew it in secrecy and that the Founders Council didn't drive a few miles outside Mystic Falls and picked it/had it grown.
Or maybe it must be one specific of the 250 Verbena species that protects against vampire compulsion...

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

• Interests:TV series (both live action and anime), movies (ditto), gaming, music, clinical psychology, religion.

Posted Mar 1, 2010 @ 1:59 AM

Re: vervain. I think the point was that the Council didn't grow it elsewhere because Zach had it, and it was just secret from Damon and Stephan. No, it still doesn't make sense to not have it growing in every garden and it the central park... But such is the power of plot.

The problem I have with the whole "omfg, our vervain was destroyed and now just one person is our provider!" is not just that vervain is not an uncommon plant, it also doesn't need to be fresh to work. It could have been added in all local jewelry.

Vervain Juice is also more powerful than the plant itself seeing that it actually burns vampire skin. Why doesn't Elena have a self-defence spray? Mixing it with pepper presumably wouldn't lower the efficiency so it could be sold as a normal self-defence spray, just with stealthy added benefits. Why isn't something like that sold in some local shop now that vampires are back?

It'd make vampires less threatening/efficient than in the usual vampire stories, so there ya go... Though I think it would make for an interesting setting. All the vampires that we've seen so far have a reason to be in town, other than "why not hunt here?" so making it more difficult for them wouldn't have created the "why not find a better hunting ground?" problem.

kj4ever

kj4ever

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2010 @ 4:50 AM

Very good points Grim. I also don't understand why Zach would be the only one with vervain. Hell I don't understand why Zach didn't tell the counsel about Damon. He was obviously a member, it was hinted that he had killed his Grandfather, and was now killing people in town again.

I also don't know how much I buy the knowledge was passed down from generation to generation. I mean didn't all the people know that Katherine walked around during the day way back when? Wouldn't names like Stefan and Damon ring a bell? Are these people really that stupid?

*edited because I shouldn't type at 3:30 in the morning*

Edited by kj4ever, Mar 1, 2010 @ 4:53 AM.

jediylva

jediylva

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2010 @ 6:45 AM

I also don't understand why Zach would be the only one with vervain. Hell I don't understand why Zach didn't tell the counsel about Damon. He was obviously a member, it was hinted that he had killed his Grandfather, and was now killing people in town again.

I think he couldn't tell, that he was bound by some blood/family/magic ties not to tell the truth about Damon. But he also wanted to protect the town from vampires in general, and therefore shared as much knowledge as possibly with the counsel.

JennyLiz

JennyLiz

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2010 @ 12:17 PM

Wouldn't names like Stefan and Damon ring a bell? Are these people really that stupid?

ESPECIALLY since they have all the old journals, which we've learned the Salvatores are mentioned quite a bit in. Even STEFAN SALVATORE showing up before Damon should have been a big clue. Come on Council. Wake up.

jediylva

jediylva

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2010 @ 12:53 PM

As Damon pointed out, it's the "original" Salvatore brothers who signed the register. I guess that the official story in 1864 was that Damon and Stefan died (in the fire?) when they were turned. Maybe it's a tradition among the founding families in Mystic falls to name their children after some ancestors.
Or maybe they are too stupid to put two and two together...

fengshoe

fengshoe

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2010 @ 3:41 PM

I don't think there is anything to suggest that any of the journals mentioned that the brothers became vampires. At best they probably mentioned the involvement with Katherine and that they were killed, if the townspeople were unaware of how vampires were turned they may not have thought twice about them after that. Traditional lore would have them wait to see if they raise from the dead after they died from mysterious circumstances, I believe they were both shot so, not very mysterious. That a another set of Salvatore brother named Stefan and Damon would show back up is odd yes, but since there were living human descendants, one of them being on the council, it is not a huge stretch to believe they were simply named for their ancestors. Zach not mentioning anything though is interesting, he clearly liked Stefan so he wouldn't out him, he may have put off mentioning Damon to see if he would just leave town and then Zach was killed. He may also have been fearful of what Damon would do to the others if they tried to kill him.

Sedruol

Sedruol

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2010 @ 9:33 PM

I'm still not sure we have a clear picture of how much the vampire council really knows.

We know they know that vampires exist, that vervain offers protection from compulsion, about wooden stakes through the heart killing a vampire; they know about the special Gilbert vampire locator compass.

Do they know that fire kills vampires too? Do they know the limitations of "inviting vampires in" ? Do they know any real details about the vampires that used to live in Mystic Falls in 1864?

They might know about Emily (since the journals led to the grimerie), but do they know her connection to Bonnie?

When Stefan told Elena she was adopted, he said he couldn't investigate further in the Pierce family because that would look suspicious ... does that mean that the council knows of the Pierce's connection to vampires? If they don't know that the Salvatore brothers are vampires, why would this investigation raise suspicion?

I'm amazed that in half a season, the show has evolved such a complex and intriguing backstory and overall mythology. Very few shows cover this much ground and remain cohesive. Is it 3/25 yet? :)

Edited by Sedruol, Mar 1, 2010 @ 9:33 PM.

jediylva

jediylva

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 2, 2010 @ 2:28 PM

I'm amazed that in half a season, the show has evolved such a complex and intriguing backstory and overall mythology. Very few shows cover this much ground and remain cohesive. Is it 3/25 yet? :)

Word! I'm really curious about this vampiverse. They have done a great job giving us the exact amount of info to keep me interested, not too much, not too little.

I don't think there is anything to suggest that any of the journals mentioned that the brothers became vampires. At best they probably mentioned the involvement with Katherine and that they were killed, if the townspeople were unaware of how vampires were turned they may not have thought twice about them after that. Traditional lore would have them wait to see if they raise from the dead after they died from mysterious circumstances, I believe they were both shot so, not very mysterious.

Do we know if there are Damon and Stefan tombstones in the churchyard in Mystic Falls? Were their presumably dead bodies buried right after the church incident?

Redred

Redred

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2010 @ 1:16 PM

I rewatched the episode, and you're all right, the werewolf signs are there. See in that episode, I thought they were going for the bullying macho father of the closeted teen. I'm telling myself that you can draw parallels between the troubled secretive aspect of werewolves and closeted gays, so I wasn't completely off. lol

Isn't Tyler's dad a member of the council though? If he is a werewolf, it'd be interesting to see how that situation develops, and hopefully it'd bring Tyler into the mythology.

Why isn't something like that sold in some local shop now that vampires are back?

Yeah, with the mayor on the council, how hard would it be for him to commission a landscaping project that grows vervain in public green areas. Maybe they could build to having the council stealth arm the town like this, after all, isn't that what they intended to do in 18whenever, when they laced the perfume and started selling it in shops. Surely some ideas/plans on how to use and acquire vervain are in the journals.

I'm amazed that in half a season, the show has evolved such a complex and intriguing backstory and overall mythology. Very few shows cover this much ground and remain cohesive.

Very true. The mythology is so rich, it moves along at a good pace and remains interesting. Also, unlike Supernatural, it hasn't been written into a dead end, there's lots of room for things to develop in many different ways.

Elli DC

Elli DC

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2010 @ 1:38 PM

Yeah, with the mayor on the council, how hard would it be for him to commission a landscaping project that grows vervain in public green areas. Maybe they could build to having the council stealth arm the town like this, after all, isn't that what they intended to do in 18whenever, when they laced the perfume and started selling it in shops.

Maybe since there hasn't been a vampire problem since 1953, when the Salvatore running the boarding house was killed, presumably by Damon, the council never really thought it would be up to them to deal with a vampire threat. Sure, it happened in the past, and it might happen again, so they have to pass down the knowledge, but woulda thought it'd happened to them? You know, it's one of those "bad things never happen to me" mentalities.

And if this is what they're thinking the whole time, and the town's been peaceful for decades, why try to upset the balance by being proactive against vampires? By growing tons of vervain, it might send out the signal, "hey we know about vampires, so don't come to OUR town!" When that's exactly what a bamf vamp would do, just to check it out. In general vampire mythology, humans knowing the secret was a threat to their existence, and vampires tried to avoid that; if however, the Council starts pushing vervain on everyone, vamps become suspicous and try to eliminate the "problem."

I dunno if it's written this way on purpose, but the Council seems fairly useless, so maybe their ineptitude is just the explanation for all the questions. LOL

Kelane

Kelane

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 8, 2010 @ 10:49 AM

The very fact that the high school mascot is the "Timberwolves" and every time they show the school it has a huge wolf seemed very much of a foreshadow to me. I think that the writers are keeping that in their back pocket. They've got so much going on right now that they don't really need to pull that card right now.

So if there was a giant vampire hunt followed by a big witch hunt, why isn't the council concerned about witches as well? Are they not deemed a threat because they aren't ripping throats out? What exactly was Emily's threat back in the day that got her burned at the stake anyway? (Other than the obvious that she was a witch--and were there others?)

If the council had planted vervain along and along, don't you think Damon would have mysteriously come back and found ways to get it eaten by random fungi, bugs, uprooted for playground projects, and so forth? :-)

As for the bodies of the brothers Salvatore, I guess its possible they were shot so close to the fire of the church that when their remains were never recovered it was assumed they were burned? Or were traitors such as themselves who sided with the vamps thought of so poorly, they were dumped in a shallow grave quickly and never even given a proper burial and they emerged from those graves that weren't that deep?

The complex and rapidly evolving mythology of the show is what got me hooked so quickly and solidly.

JennyLiz

JennyLiz

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2010 @ 11:33 AM

If the council had planted vervain along and along, don't you think Damon would have mysteriously come back and found ways to get it eaten by random fungi, bugs, uprooted for playground projects, and so forth? :-)

Yes, but if the vervain that the Council planted kept being destroyed, wouldn't that set off warning bells?

jediylva

jediylva

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2010 @ 2:40 AM

What ever happened to the vampiremist and the crows?
Was that only used in the early episodes to give us the audience a mystic and "vampirey" feeling? Have they dropped it from the show now that we have so much more going on?

femlyn2

femlyn2

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2010 @ 6:32 AM

Well, if there was only "one" crow, Damon ate it when he escaped the tomb and couldn't get out of the house without his ring...

Edited by femlyn2, Apr 6, 2010 @ 6:32 AM.

JennyLiz

JennyLiz

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2010 @ 1:02 PM

I know this has been discussed a bit in the episode thread, and I'm not sure it this belongs here or in the nitpick thread, but...

I really wish we could figure out how the "invite someone in," thing works. According to this past episode, someone must live in the home to invite someone in--otherwise it's a vampire free-for-all. But Scum couldn't get into his apartment, because no one who lived there(?) could invite him in. In the ep thread someone speculated that since Logan was a renter, when he died his landlord took over his apartment. But I thought no one knew he died? They thought he left on a long trip? Would they have given up his apartment too? (I mean She's-the-Sheriff, who sent the note to Jenna and seems to have taken care of the Scum stuff.) And that invites another question (to my mind): how exactly does someone qualify as "living" someplace? Scum was a renter, so does that give him the power to invite someone in? Elena and Jeremy have to invite someone in, but they certainly don't own the house. Must someone just reside there most of the time, and have stuff moved in? Could Alaric move into Stefan's house, and therefore they would be safe from vamps?

Also, we never really settled the "Can you compel someone to invite you in?" question. I ASSUME the answer is no, because otherwise I think the whole invitation thing isn't really protection, but they never really answered that.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2010 @ 7:08 PM

I really wish we could figure out how the "invite someone in," thing works. According to this past episode, someone must live in the home to invite someone in--otherwise it's a vampire free-for-all. But Scum couldn't get into his apartment, because no one who lived there(?) could invite him in. In the ep thread someone speculated that since Logan was a renter, when he died his landlord took over his apartment. But I thought no one knew he died? They thought he left on a long trip? Would they have given up his apartment too? (I mean She's-the-Sheriff, who sent the note to Jenna and seems to have taken care of the Scum stuff.) And that invites another question (to my mind): how exactly does someone qualify as "living" someplace? Scum was a renter, so does that give him the power to invite someone in? Elena and Jeremy have to invite someone in, but they certainly don't own the house. Must someone just reside there most of the time, and have stuff moved in? Could Alaric move into Stefan's house, and therefore they would be safe from vamps?

I think "a human that lives there" means in a mystic sense "a human who has set up domicile at that location", meaning in the general "I live x place". I would never suggest someone who is renting, does not live in their dwelling, to do so would mean that every renter was homeless(extend that logic to every minor living with their parents). Further more Elena and Jeremy may own the house, since their parents died the house (and other property) may be being held in trust for them until they turn x age.

In True Blood mythology, a vampire CAN compel a human to invite them in, but the words "would you please come in"(or some variation) is the magic that allows the vampire to enter. I think the invitation is a protection for humans to stop vampires from breaking into their homes as they sleep- I also think a certain amount of eye contact is needed for compulsion.

Edited by scarlett45, Apr 7, 2010 @ 7:10 PM.

Elli DC

Elli DC

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2010 @ 8:20 PM

I think "a human that lives there" means in a mystic sense "a human who has set up domicile at that location", meaning in the general "I live x place". I would never suggest someone who is renting, does not live in their dwelling, to do so would mean that every renter was homeless(extend that logic to every minor living with their parents). Further more Elena and Jeremy may own the house, since their parents died the house (and other property) may be being held in trust for them until they turn x age.

In True Blood mythology, a vampire CAN compel a human to invite them in, but the words "would you please come in"(or some variation) is the magic that allows the vampire to enter. I think the invitation is a protection for humans to stop vampires from breaking into their homes as they sleep- I also think a certain amount of eye contact is needed for compulsion.

Interesting points, I just have a few to add. I don't think it goes so far into "ownership" of a house, because Matt was able to invite Vicki back into the house. In the most recent episode, Matt mentions to his mom that there is "back rent," so they techinically don't own the house, and I bet Matt isn't the primary signer on the lease. Also, in the books, little 4 yr old Margaret was able to invite Elena in.

I think I read in the original Vampire Diaries trilogy, that living there is defined as a person making it their main place to sleep everynight. Like, technically someone could live in a barn, and even though it's not a house in the strictest sense, it's protection for the human living there. If I'm way wrong, please correct me lol sometimes I don't know where I remember things from.

Heh, Logan obvi didn't know about compulsion, since he had no "welcome wagon with a bundt cake," because he could have compelled Jenna to let him in. We've seen that it has to be a clear invite, maybe it has to be a sincere one as well.

Edited by Elli DC, Apr 7, 2010 @ 8:20 PM.

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

• Interests:TV series (both live action and anime), movies (ditto), gaming, music, clinical psychology, religion.

Posted Apr 8, 2010 @ 1:52 AM

I also assumed invitation can't be compelled, but while maybe Pearl and Anna tricked their way inside the Vampshack, we saw Harper being invited and that must have been compulsion. On top of biting and weird habits (compulsion to ignore those), I doubt the owner would have invited more and more people considering the number of new "guests" already setting up residence there.

Frankly I doubt TVD will ever be interested in explaining all the details on screen so doesn't care all that much for defining them.

Living there as "a human who has set up domicile at that location"/"main place to sleep every night" makes sense. If living there meant ownership vampires would have a really hard time finding someone to invite them in; not just renters (which can't be distinguished by owners except by vamps checking out legal papers - it would be hilarious) and children but, some time ago and/or in other cultures only the head of the family, so to say, was the owner. "Excuse me, ma'am, is your husband home? No? I'll come back later."

What exactly was Emily's threat back in the day that got her burned at the stake anyway? (Other than the obvious that she was a witch--and were there others?)

I think we are supposed to take that as a simple witch hunt. While the Salem trials were in 1692-93 it's not like something changed and noone ever thought like that ever again (there were witch trials up to the 18th century in Europe) so it's believable that in a moment of "hunt the supernatural beasts!" witches were thrown in the fire too, for good measure.

JennyLiz

JennyLiz

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2010 @ 11:13 AM

I also assumed invitation can't be compelled, but while maybe Pearl and Anna tricked their way inside the Vampshack, we saw Harper being invited and that must have been compulsion. On top of biting and weird habits (compulsion to ignore those), I doubt the owner would have invited more and more people considering the number of new "guests" already setting up residence there.

Crim, you bring up an excellent point. I was assuming that you couldn't compel someone to let you inside, because otherwise, where's the protection? Unless you could instantly recognize someone as a vampire and slammed the door before they could compel you. OR if you were wearing vervaine. However, both of these scenarios are dependent upon the dweller knowing of vampires' existence, which most people don't. In the case of Ms. Gibbons...hm. Maybe (and I am totally making this up, so feel free to debate me on this) you cannot compel a person UNTIL you've been invited in. Maybe Pearl showed up with Anna, two helpless females, saying they had car trouble (or something) and Ms. Gibbons invited them in. Once inside, Pearl was able to compel Ms. Gibbons into letting the other vampires inside. Anyone?

Another curious thing...on True Blood, it's possible for a person to rescind their invitation for a vampire. When Bill bursts into Sookie's house and tries to attack Sam, Sookie tells him "I rescind my invitation," and we see him fly backwards out the door. Clearly, this doesn't exist on TVD, otherwise we wouldn't have had such an ominous "He's been invited in," thing with the pizza guy. Sure would be a nifty trick though.

Edited by JennyLiz, Apr 8, 2010 @ 11:14 AM.

Stupid Daikini

Stupid Daikini

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2010 @ 12:42 PM

Not to mention on Buffy, Willow was able to say a spell that re-protected the house from Angel's invitation. That was an awesome episode when Angelous couldn't get in while Willow was Latinating.

But I think its clear there is no uninviting TVD vamps.

I'm still not sure that someone actually has to live in the house for the invitation. Perhaps you just need a human's "come in." At least in the books, Elena invites Damon into Bonnie's house by accident. However, when Elena invited Damon into her house however many episodes ago - it seemed like he needed her invite rather than Caroline's. So, maybe you do need to "live there"

Elli DC

Elli DC

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2010 @ 2:10 PM

In the case of Ms. Gibbons...hm. Maybe (and I am totally making this up, so feel free to debate me on this) you cannot compel a person UNTIL you've been invited in. Maybe Pearl showed up with Anna, two helpless females, saying they had car trouble (or something) and Ms. Gibbons invited them in. Once inside, Pearl was able to compel Ms. Gibbons into letting the other vampires inside. Anyone?

Hmm, thinking about that scene a little bit more.... To me, it seemed that Ms. Gibbons was under a general compulsion, a la "Do whatever Pearl says," because when Harper showed up, I don't remember obvious compulsion from Pearl onto Ms. Gibbons. IIRC, it was Pearl saying, Harper is a friend of mine, may he come in? Ms. Gibbons responds "Any friend of Pearl's is welcome here. Come in." They didn't do a close up of Freaky!Eyes, so to me it wasn't a new invite-specific compulsion.

I'm not really sure, because this just begs the question of how compulsion works, can a vampire do it to another, what happens to Caroline who had so many different ones put on her, why does Jeremy's seem to not be working, whats the difference between making someone do something, and implanting a false memory. Hell, maybe it explains deja vu, like when Caroline thought she'd been in the boarding house before lol We've seen "tiny" compulsion, mostly from Damon to Caroline - go in the kitchen, take me to the ball, throw a party - but not the huge forget I'm a vampire and I bit you , forget the Vicki was killed.

However, when Elena invited Damon into her house however many episodes ago - it seemed like he needed her invite rather than Caroline's. So, maybe you do need to "live there"

Agreed completely.

ETA, because I feel like a cad posting 2x in a row.

So blood has an immediate effect on the strength and healing of a vampire, based on Stefan having a few sips and then kicking ass. Maybe that can be used to explain some of the discrepancies we’ve seen so far. Stefan may have been able to take down his foes because he can feed on animals more regularly, as opposed to having a human disappear every day, or turn up with bite marks. Human blood definitely > animal blood, but maybe recently feeding on animal = not feeding for awhile.

Also, from the preview with Stefan having a personality change from drinking human blood, it looks, for now at least, that human blood means a more violent personality regardless of how the vamp wants to feel. Add that to Damon being somewhat of a dick human, then bam! Sociopathic personality explained.

Edited by Elli DC, Apr 8, 2010 @ 9:55 PM.