S9: Rod Blagojevich

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

21 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2010 @ 2:14 AM

"he made many political enemies"

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted Mar 6, 2010 @ 12:04 PM

Which, from what I understand, would be the understatement of the Millennium.

Politics aside (I'm well aware of how polarizing he and his wife are, thanks to her turn on the gadawful I'm a Celebrity -- Get Me out of Here!), what I really want to know is whether that's his real hair color. It seems so unnatural to me that it looks more as though he and Jeff Probst use the same shade of Kiwi shoe polish to cover the gray.

Jaundiced Eye

Jaundiced Eye

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2010 @ 10:41 AM

I've met the former governor a couple of times, and I have to say that he has a certain boyish charm. One of the reasons he was so successful as a politician is that he has a natural ability to draw people in and make them feel important. He LISTENS to his constituents and seems to care about people's lives. I think he started out as a genuine do-gooder, but no one survives Illinois poiltics for long without becoming corrupt. I think he's probably guilty as hell of at least some of the charges against him, but I can't help but hope he manages to avoid prison. Not to make excuses for anyone, but in both Chicago and Illinois politics, things are relative. Virtually everyone who "makes it" has to get his or her hands dirty to do it. It's the "Chicago way." I find it particularly sad that Blagojevich's troubles began because his father-in-law (the powerful long-time alderman Dick Mell) threw him to the wolves. Why was Mell so pissed at Rod? Because Rod was looking to shut down a landfill with a lot of environmental problems, at the request of the Illinois EPA, and Mell was making a lot of money from the characters who owned the landfill and violated all those environmental regulations. In the grand scheme of Chicago and Illinois politics, Rod was a neophyte -- there have been, and currently still are, a lot of players who have committed, I'm sure, far more and worse crimes that Blagojevich is accused of. Blagojevich just crossed the wrong guy and got caught.

illinidiva

illinidiva

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 15, 2010 @ 3:11 PM

Blago was as corrupt as hell to begin with, but unlike the other Chi-town politicians was very open about it which makes him sort of charming.

Mertvaya Ruka

Mertvaya Ruka

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 15, 2010 @ 6:00 PM

It's not that he's corrupt, it's that he's bad at it. Shame on him for getting caught! :)

I don't think I'd want him as a governor but I do like him as a pop culture figure. I rarely say this but I'd like to see him on more ridiculous reality shows in the future because he's actually kinda fun.

ccridernyc

ccridernyc

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2010 @ 8:06 PM

He does seem absurdly upbeat, doesn't he? I'm fascinated when people don't hide their heads in shame the way the world expects. I hope the women keep losing so that Trump is made to wait on the pleasure of firing him because I hate the Donald.

I don't doubt that he's happy to talk about his situation, but I think the diner customers must've initiated it half the time and we didn't see that. Joan treated him like a diseased pokah-playah from the get go.

rimrock

rimrock

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 16, 2010 @ 11:38 AM

Blago is an embarrassment to the State of Illinois....where I live. He has no business being on TV polluting the jury pool. I do not know why a judge allowed him to participate. I do not watch this show and never have but I had to put my two cents in.

Mertvaya Ruka

Mertvaya Ruka

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 16, 2010 @ 12:18 PM

I don't doubt that he's happy to talk about his situation, but I think the diner customers must've initiated it half the time and we didn't see that.

Plus he has to be careful what he says. If his trials were over and, if found guilty, he'd already served his punishment, I'd love it if he said, "Yeah, I'm a sneaky little weasel and I'm going to use those skills to help me win this game!" Eliot Spitzer is already coming out on the pundit shows with both guns blazing - he's got nothing to lose - and he's been kinda awesome as of late. It's almost a shame Blago can't do the same.

But Blago still has legal activity coming up and anything he says, even in jest, can be used against him so I'm not surprised he's going overboard on the "I'm innocent! I didn't do it!" Schtick.

Edited by Mertvaya Ruka, Mar 16, 2010 @ 12:20 PM.

Rosiemom112629

Rosiemom112629

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2010 @ 7:47 PM

I honestly can't stand to see him on television. As a resident of Illinois, I feel that he is NOT a good representative for the state, especially since a prevailing stereotype is that Illinois consists of Chicago, suburbs of Chicago, and then a vast wasteland of soybeans with the exception of East St. Louis. I think he is smarmy, slimy, and just gives me the heebie-jeebies. To the non-Illinoisans out there, please do not judge us all by him.

seasquared

seasquared

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 28, 2010 @ 6:33 PM

Don't worry Illinoisans, we don't blame you for Gov. Blecho. If anything you've earned my sympathy for having to put up with all his shit for as long as you did!

seasquared

seasquared

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 28, 2010 @ 6:33 PM

Oops double post.

Edited by seasquared, Mar 28, 2010 @ 6:33 PM.

Rosiemom112629

Rosiemom112629

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2010 @ 9:44 PM

Thank you seasquared

sissykay

sissykay

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2010 @ 10:17 PM

His ineptness at doing simple every day tasks reinforces my opinion of most politicians - that they don't represent us! His defense, “I was a governor and had staff to do it. And before that I was a Congressman.” This doesn’t make me feel good about those in Washington.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 2:33 AM

Blago, on the show tonight, talked about one of his great accomplishments - getting health care for all the children of Illinois. Yeah, he did that. With the "all Kids" insurance, parents get an insurance card, which is accepted the same as medicaid cards.

But it didn't work out that great. The doctors, clinics, and hospitals who accept the card then bill the state of Illinois for the medical services. But the state isn't paying.

Illinois is having a budget crisis. Now add the fact that Blago gave the insurance cards away without having the funds to back it up. Clinics and hospitals are closing, because they provided medical services and the state doesn't have the money to pay the bills.

What was the other contribution he bragged about? Free rides on public transportation to senior citizens. Regardless of their income, or if they were working - they rode free after age 60 (65?). Yes, it had merit, some senior citizens can use free rides. But Doctors and lawyers who lived on the North Shore (ritzy Chicago suburbs) got a free ride to their fancy Michigan avenue offices, while working class people saw their routes get cut, and the fares increase.

So he can brag about all the good he did, but it only sounds good. Great PR, to give kids and old people something for free. And now he's on TV bragging, while the state of Illinois is struggling with its worst financial crisis ever, trying to pay for what he "gave away".

I want Trump to stop referring to him as "governor" - he was kicked out.

Asafum Godeht

Asafum Godeht

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 10:29 PM

My Kodak moment with the governor would be a picture of me slipping him a $100 bill.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2010 @ 10:03 PM

Celebrity Apprentice,’ a Primer for Blagojevich and His Prosecutors

Good article -

The United States Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Illinois should hereby thank Donald Trump.

Were it not for Mr. Trump’s alluringly tacky “Celebrity Apprentice,” federal prosecutors would have to rely largely on wiretapped phone conversations when former Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich stands trial for corruption in June.

Now they have video evidence to reassure themselves at least privately that the defendant may actually be, as my late friend Ann Landers would put it, several bricks short of a load.

Blago’s challenge was to lead a team competing to devise the best interactive display to promote a new Harry Potter exhibit at the Universal Orlando theme park. His only real contribution, as his team prepared its display for a focus group of youngsters in New York, was to urge that a smoke machine be revved up.

His legal defense team might inspect the last 10 minutes of the show and consider in-court use of several smoke machines.

tuxedocat

tuxedocat

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2010 @ 2:44 PM

backformore's link isn't working right so here is a corrected link to the article:

My favorite line from the article:

Over and over, he was initially mum or monosyllabic, unable to explain his actions and obvious mistakes. He appeared to believe he was not responsible for various videotaped screw-ups. He’d take a fall, but not culpability.

PippinsApple

PippinsApple

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2010 @ 11:42 AM

Didn't know who he was before the show, but he reminds me so much of Michael Scott (The Office). In many, many ways.

Jaundiced Eye

Jaundiced Eye

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2010 @ 1:36 PM

Jury selection for Blago's corruption trial has begun.

According to the Chicago Tribune, if convicted, the former governor faces up to 415 years in prison and fines up to $6 million. Sheesh!

http://www.chicagobr...gins-today.html

adrem

adrem

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2010 @ 7:32 PM

According to the Chicago Tribune, if convicted, the former governor faces up to 415 years in prison and fines up to $6 million. Sheesh!

Legal and political experts are divided on Blago's sentencing - some say he'll get 20 years, others say he'll get just 18 months.
I am not sure why Blago decided to take part in The Celebrity Apprentice. Is that to make the jury selection more difficult or for money, or both? Does Trump pay contestants for participation?

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 1:00 AM

The early stages of the trial are pretty wacky. The judge had to admonish Blago to stop tweeting about the proceedings. Blago has an online presence, I think under the name of "governorrod", but many think that someone else is actually doing it for him.
Today, the judge admonished Blago to SIT STILL!

But Blagojevich’s antics in and around the Dirksen Federal Courthouse in Chicago are starting to wear thin with both Judge James Zagel and the prosecution.

Thursday morning, Judge Zagel ordered Blagojevich to stop the gesturing and keep his reactions to testimony in check. The ruling followed complaints by Assistant U.S. Attorney Reid Schar that his animated reactions were impacting the jury.

It wasn’t the first time the judge has attemped to clamp down on Blagojevich. Following media reports that Blagojevich and his wife had taken to Twitter, Zagel warned on Wednesday that no tweeting by the defendant would be allowed from the courtroom. Zagel further warned Blagojevich of the risks he was incurring by constantly talking to the media, but such cautions seem to have gone unheeded.

Of course, keeping the former governor quiet is no simple task. Blagojevich spent 18 months prior to his trial flitting about the country and the airwaves proclaiming his innocence to anybody who would listen.

Judge blasts Blagojevich over courtroom antics

Outside the courtroom, Blago greets people and signs autographs as though he were making a celebrity appearance, not being tried for corruption.

jade76

jade76

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 9:05 AM

On this show Rod could barely turn and a computer on and couldn't email but now he has a twitter account? Either he was faking it on the show or someone else is doing his twitter account.