Adam Lambert (Take 2)

• Please log in to reply

15055 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 12:39 PM

Let's set some ground rules here.

First and foremost: read the FAQ if you haven't already. Right now.

Secondly: this is a Web site about television. This particular forum is about Adam Lambert, his appearance on American Idol, his music career, and so forth.

It is NOT a place to get into pissing matches with other posters. It is NOT a place to bitch about other Web sites or what they're saying about him. It is NOT a place to act like a 12 year old schoolgirl or, for that matter, a disapproving parent.

In short - turn your enthusiasm / lack thereof about Adam down from "11". I don't care how you feel about Adam - I just expect this to be a sane discussion thread. If you cannot carry on a sane, rational, drama-free discussion with other posters... this may not be the site for you.

For those wondering - consider this a new starting point.

susannot

susannot

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

I immediately wondered why Adam was singing a Bruno Mars tune. Then I realized Adam was singing a Bruno Mars tune. It's OK. This one might make Top 40. The first one never had a shot.

Love the song, and it is definitely radio-friendly. Something that I don't understand, tho. Why do people say that BTIKM never had a shot? It got to #17 on HAC which I take to mean Hot Adult Contemporary. Doesn't that count? I totally do not understand radio formats nowadays. I am a dinosaur. In my day, if a song made the Top 20, it was a hit.

DerekMcG

DerekMcG

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:28 AM

I think Never Close Our Eyes is the most radio-friendly Adam Lambert single yet. And that's from someone who liked this the least of the four song sample clips that were released a few weeks back. I was amazed when I finally heard the full album version yesterday---just goes to show how pointless it is to pass judgment on the basis of unfinished snippets! And, for once, this is a song that sounds better plugged-in than acoustic.

Can't wait to hear to hear what Adam does with the song on Jimmy Kimmel later this month and then on American Idol (May 17th?). Whatever happens, we're bound to get the plugged-in version at both those shows.

Edited by DerekMcG, Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:35 AM.

ashmole

ashmole

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 4:31 AM

Nile Rodgers talks in his blog about working with Adam on Shady:

http://nilerodgers.c...bert-song-shady

Intelligent One

Intelligent One

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 5:45 AM

It got to #17 on HAC which I take to mean Hot Adult Contemporary. Doesn't that count?

Actually, #17 at HAC is the milestone a song needs to meet in order to be considered a hit. There were a lot of celebrations across the fansites when BTIKM did that.

yogimax

yogimax

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

I love the new song... I didn't think I would after listening to the snippets, but the full version is just really, really great.

Shows off Adam's amazing vocals and seems radio friendly...

Hope this one is a hit for Adam; he certainly deserves it !

LambyToes2

LambyToes2

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 6:44 PM

I liked this song a lot from the initial hit predictor snippets and the acoustic performances but I find that I don't like it as much as BTIKM. I'm basing this on the fact that I had BTIKM on repeat for the better part of 2 days and with NCOEs I played it like crazy but at least 1/2 as much as BTIKM. I loved the bass line on that. I'm happy PDs are on board. I hope they play him on heavy rotation. The number of radio shows bodes well though. *fingers crossed*

TruthIsAGun

TruthIsAGun

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:37 AM

So far, I like NCOE, I don't love it, but it seems radio friendly and that's what singles are for.

Montavilla

Montavilla

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:30 PM

NCOE is growing more and more on me. Which isn't surprising, since that's my general relationship with any music. I don't often have a strong initial impression.

Although, there were a few songs on FYE that I loved right away.

I got to hear the acoustic premiere at the Bing Lounge, and I was surprised at how driving it was, even with just a guitar. I liked it then, but I like it even better with the full production. The only other song of Adam's that's struck me that way was "Voodoo," which I liked from the concert videos, but LOVED when I heard the studio version -- and immediately tracked it down to purchase on iTunes.

Out There

Out There

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 4:10 PM

I liked it then, but I like it even better with the full production.

I heard NCOE first from the hitpredictor snippet, an unfinished version with a slightly different production, and I liked it well enough immediately but the whole thing with extra bells and whistles is my jam.

The only other song of Adam's that's struck me that way was "Voodoo," which I liked from the concert videos, but LOVED when I heard the studio version

For me, I fully expect it to be the case with Outlaws of Love and Chokehold, because those are the two that strcuk me on concert videos and but I haven't heard recorded yet.

The best thing about this era is that everything keeps getting better. Every teaser, every snippet, every performance of any new song we get just turns out better the more we hear of it. Trespassing went from "nice" in the acoustic version to "great!" on the snippet to "omfg!" on the full plugged in performace. Cuckoo went from "cool!" in the concert version to "awesome!" on the snippet, NCOE from "pretty" on the snippet to "wonderful" on acoustic to "amazing!" on the finished product. Even BTIKM went from "i don't know" on the recorded version to "it's better than I thought" on the plugged-in performances to "I really like it" on the music video to "sublime" on acoustic version. (Really, I legit love acoustic BTIKM.)

I can't wait for the rest of the album. I wonder if there will be any surprises, like a song we haven't heard any gushing about making it to the top of the favorites list.

breatheagain

breatheagain

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

A fan translated an article in Japan's IN ROCK magazine. I'm really curious to hear Underneath now. And the demo snippet did nothing for me originally.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/gveq0g

He says that underneath doesn't have a big beat, an it doesn't use much instruments,the reason for this to highlight vulnerability

He says that he recorded underneath many times but he wasn't satisfied

But later w underneath he realised the reason why he wasn't satisfied was that the song itself is real & vulnerable, it resulted in unease

He says that in Underneath doesn't have perfect sound, it doesn't use autotune, it's just him. And he was worried about that at first

The song talks about how what's "underneath" isn't necessarily the same as what's perceived by others observing.

palmavenue

palmavenue

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

Interesting choice of song by a dance group competing on Young Talent Time in Australia last week - the routine was pulled together to Down the rabbit hole.

Down the rabbit hole Project Dance Young Talent Time

Italian Ice

Italian Ice

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

A fan created a music video for NCOE using scenes from Queer as Folk. It came out really well and totally fits the song. I really hope the actual music video is something like this.

NCOE FanMade Music Video

DerekMcG

DerekMcG

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:56 PM

Hi breathagain: Many thanks for sharing those comments about "Underneath." Interesting (and telling) stuff! Unlike you, I was actually quite taken with the demo snippet that was floating around a while back, and it's the song I've been most looking forward to hearing from the album. Lyndsey Parker's review of the recording certainly makes it sound like a stand-out:

This haunting ballad may not promise the sexyfuntimes of "Cuckoo" and "Trespassing," but the wintry song serves as the flipside of those summery party anthems, showcasing Adam at his most stripped and vulnerable. This is the track that really trespasses on Adam's psyche, so to speak. "Everybody wants to talk about a freak/No one wants to dig that deep/Let me take you underneath," he keens, delivering a vocal every bit as passionate and powerful as FYE's "Soaked" while somehow sounding restrained in a way he hasn't sounded since he game-changingly sang "Mad World" and "Tracks Of My Tears" on "Idol." Everyone of course knows Adam for his over-the-top persona and glass-shattering glory notes--and trust me, he hits some seriously glorious notes here--but the overall effect on this track is unexpectedly intimate and fragile, as opposed to bombastic and campy. Check your arms for goosebumps after listening.

http://music.yahoo.c...-001437238.html

LambyToes2

LambyToes2

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:11 AM

I am very interested in Adam being intimate and fragile. Can't wait for May 15th.

jaebird

jaebird

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 6:21 AM

I really want to hear Shady with all the hoo-ha about Nile Rodgers and because I like what Adam and Sam Sparro have come up together before.

My anticipation for Underneath has gone up based on Adam's comments above. I read someone say on Atop the other day (I can't find the comment to credit - sorry) that she found it noticeable how on the songs this time round, compared to FYE, the producers have kept a lot of Adam's natural inflections and quirks in the tracks. A lot if that was polished or drowned out in FYE and this way it will go some way to capturing why Adam is better live than recorded.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:02 AM

"Underneath" sounds so amazing and wonderful to me that right now I am looking forward to hearing that song of Adam's the most!

Adam Lambert surely one day will grace the cover of People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive issue-

http://twitpic.com/9ab5pv

BREATHTAKING!!!

ashmole

ashmole

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

@mindchnger: RT @SebastiaoMota: @mindchnger Check the snippets on iTunes AUSTRALIA NOWW!! *-*

http://itunes.apple....ing/id517807994

The snippets sound so so good! I can't believe how much I love them lol

Edited by ashmole, Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:40 PM.

breatheagain

breatheagain

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

This isn't an followup Idol album y'all.

It's fantastic. Worth the wait. I get it Adam, I get it. It's JT/MJ/Prince/Xtina/Queen all had a baby.

RCA WHAT WERE YOU THINKING WITH THE LEAD SINGLE?

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

The last time a singer sang so emotionally beautiful for me that it made me cry was when Adam sang "Outlaws of Love" for the first time acoustically on that youtube video. And I haven't since until today listening to the snippet of "Underneath."

I can hardly put into words how this song affects me. The heartbreaking and fragile beauty of Adam's voice and this song has pierced right into my soul. This song is a treasure. Today this song to me is the most beautiful song I've ever heard Adam sing. It seems like it shatters me- if you know what I mean. I'm so very glad Adam chose to record this song, even though he didn't write on it. I love this song so much.

It's hard for me to concentrate on the other songs right now; but they're amazing. "Shady" is really, really sexy. I also love "Chokehold," "Outlaws of Love," "Broken English," and "Naked Love" is sounding better and better to me. So, that's all I'll say for now- because Adam's voice has wiped me out.

jaebird

jaebird

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

Oh my fucking god. This album is so good.

LambyToes2

LambyToes2

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

There isn't a bad song in the bunch. I'm so frustrated when each snippet ends. lol

ashmole

ashmole

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

I'm so frustrated when each snippet ends

Lol same here.

If you are listening on the snippets on itunes, they just changed the parts playing. You can now hear other parts of the songs

Edited by ashmole, Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:42 PM.

Shimoli

Shimoli

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

There isn't a bad song in the bunch. I'm so frustrated when each snippet ends.

That's why I'm listening to them again and again. :D And I LOVE them all! :)

maxiford

maxiford

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 4:49 PM

That's why I'm listening to them again and again. :D And I LOVE them all! :)

Me too! Me, too! It is a masterpiece and if he doesn't get album of the year I don't know what the man has to do.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 5:59 PM

I've been listening to the other snippets more, and I have to say that I love every single song on it. "Kickin In" and "Pop That Lock" remind me of George Michael and Michael Jackson. In fact, this album reminds me of George Michael's album "Faith." I really loved that album.

I don't know of ANY album out there like this. A pop album like this with Adam's voice shining like no other pop male singer out there- it certainly seems like if this album could get the recognition and respect here in the U.S. that the reviews from the U.K. suggest- that this could take Adam up in his career to the next level. It already seems to me to be Grammy-nominated worthy. Wouldn't that be wonderful!

The song "Shady" - I am really, really loving it. That song and still "Trespassing" are my two favorite fast tracks. I would love for both of them to be singles.

Also- after a couple of fast singles- to me- it seems like a song like "Underneath" with its gripping power could be a single too. I don't know why not. It's so powerful and beautiful.

Adam did the most amazing job on this album! I hope so much it sells and sells and sells and brings him even more success than he already has.

Out There

Out There

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 6:33 PM

This isn't an followup Idol album y'all.

It's fantastic. Worth the wait.

It's amazing, I seriously can't believe how good it is. I mean, the previous snippets were good to excellent but there was always a fear that the best ones were thrown out for the single consideration and others wouldn't end up as good. But they are all fantastic, every single one of them. And just two days ago I was wondering here if there would be any surprises in the form of great songs that haven't been much gushed over before, and lo and behold: ALL of the lesser known ones are absolutely fantastic.

There isn't a bad song in the bunch.

There isn't even one mediocre song in the bunch of the new ones.

And there are bonus ones to come!

breatheagain

breatheagain

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

BTIKM is the Time for Miracles of the album. Sticks out in it's mediocrity. It's not bad, it's just not as fantastic as the rest. Seriously RCA.

areca

areca

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

This album is BIZARRE. It's like disco + now. Touch of 80s pop too. And Prince. And some funk. And pretty much the kitchen sink. But it somehow stays cohesive?

This thing is going to fly or sink. It's a polarizing album. Really risky. Pretty damn fresh though.

Also, I'm calling it now. Queen + Adam will do Tresspassing in concert.

Edit: I want to hear the rest of Underneath NOW.
Second edit: If it wasn't clear, I flove this album.

Edited by areca, Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:53 AM.

Italian Ice

Italian Ice

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

This album is incredible. Absolutely incredible.

The thing that I noticed most is that you can really tell that he has a vast musical knowledge. There's so many influences from all different periods and artists that I'm sure Lyndsey Parker is gonna be working on her review for a looonnng time figuring out each and every obscure reference on the album.

It is fantastic.

Kickin' In is so unique. I love it.

Here's Adam's iTunes writeup. He has a new one that doesn't mention things about glam vampires like his last one did, lol.

Adam & Trespassing iTunes writeup

Edited by Italian Ice, Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:33 PM.

rihannsu

rihannsu

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

NCOE available on iTunes US now. Also pre-orders for both Standard and Deluxe, and FYE on sale for $7.99.