Adam Lambert (Take 2)

• Please log in to reply

15057 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 12:39 PM

Let's set some ground rules here.

First and foremost: read the FAQ if you haven't already. Right now.

Secondly: this is a Web site about television. This particular forum is about Adam Lambert, his appearance on American Idol, his music career, and so forth.

It is NOT a place to get into pissing matches with other posters. It is NOT a place to bitch about other Web sites or what they're saying about him. It is NOT a place to act like a 12 year old schoolgirl or, for that matter, a disapproving parent.

In short - turn your enthusiasm / lack thereof about Adam down from "11". I don't care how you feel about Adam - I just expect this to be a sane discussion thread. If you cannot carry on a sane, rational, drama-free discussion with other posters... this may not be the site for you.

For those wondering - consider this a new starting point.

bluerain

bluerain

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 11:09 AM

winnbott- Your statement that (paraphrasing) "Whataya Want From Me" worked because it was a good song, whether sung by Adam or Pink (who wrote the song) -

Adam's song "Whataya Want From Me," co-written by Pink, Max Martin, and Shellback was a worldwide hit song because Adam Lambert recorded the song and sang it so beautifully and authentically that he was nominated for "best male pop vocal performance" for a Grammy for it.
No one knows what would have happened if someone else had recorded it instead of Adam, even Pink. I don't believe all songs she co-writes are hit songs, and this is not me disparaging her. I just hate it when someone tries to disparage Adam's beautiful, Grammy-nominated song and all the success he has had with it. It will forever be Adam's song even though he didn't write it. It has been covered worldwide in different singing competitions that people have been posting for two years now here and other forums.

Also, I have totally evolved in the past day about how I feel about Adam's new single. I listened to it before I posted, and I am now embracing this new pop style. It made me happy listening to it, and I am appreciating more the pop stuff added into it. So, I can hardly wait to hear it on the radio.

But I mainly came here today to post something I love since Adam became a star. An international airport video from Shanghai- I just love seeing airport videos of Adam when he goes international. I love to hear all the different, beautiful accents of the world loving and being excited about Adam's arrival. I just love it! This is worth watching all the way through to the end where a fan gets a hug- even though the video is mostly sideways!

http://v.youku.com/v...MzMzgwMDMy.html

Oldernotwiser

Oldernotwiser

Fanatic

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 11:32 AM

Adam looks GREAT sideways!

God, he's gracious. If I had just gotten off a 14 hour flight I would have looked like shit and been very, very grumpy. Yet his smile stayed on. Impressive.

Montavilla

Montavilla

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 11:57 AM

Only time will tell. But if the song does not take off, I would expect him to take accountability (and not just blame it on RCA), since he was involved in the decision to release this as the lead single.

I don't recall Adam ever blaming RCA for anything. Whenever he talks about the label, it's to emphasize their willingness to work with him, to allow him control, and talk about how positive and supportive they are with him. He usually mentions that the myth of 19R being manipulative puppetmasters with their talent is just that -- a myth.

FYE didn't work as a single, RCA and Adam quickly moved on to a song that did work. Simple as that and no blame involved from anyone.

maxiford

maxiford

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 12:13 PM

Adam looks GREAT sideways!

God, he's gracious. If I had just gotten off a 14 hour flight I would have looked like shit and been very, very grumpy. Yet his smile stayed on. Impressive.

Ain't it the truth? I just love seeing the support for our boy in other countries. Flailing sounds great in any language.

Maura73

Maura73

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 12:34 PM

It's great to see that the fans are still positive about this song :D

I've been an Adam fan since 09. The fans have a reputation for supporting Adam no matter what, but the reputation doesn't really fit. Yes, we support Adam when publications like GQ attack him for bigoted reasons, but we don't do that when it comes to his music. Fans complained about fye, complained about wwfm, and there was angst and disagreement aplenty over iihy. The response to this song is different in its positivity.

I live in the Midwest, and usually listen to the local Clear Channel top 40 station, when I listen to radio at all. This song will fit the playlist on that station beautifully. One reaction that's specific to btikm is the claim that it is "addictive." People ARE listening to it over and over again. This was not a common fan response to fye, wwfm, or iihy. Top 40 is a repetitive medium. Not only does this song belong on it, but improves with repeated listens. It's perfectly suited to its genre.

For people who complain that the song doesn't take risks: Adam's been gone from the radio for over a year, and his last song was iihy, which did OK, but was hardly a huge hit. He is in no position to take risks. What he needs is a solid song that works on top 40, and this song is it, I hope. That this is a "singer's song," as someone said earlier, one he can kill live, is icing on the cake.

Ranwing

Ranwing

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 12:35 PM

He can't expand his audience if he doesn't get radio play. And whether one wants to acknowledge it or not, Adam is not yet in a position to take the kind of chances that more established artists can, for a number of reasons. Obviously BTIKM was chosen because - rightly or wrongly - Adam, his team at RCA, and probably his management, came to the conclusion that at this point in Adam's career, that song was his best bet for acceptance by PDs in the markets he wanted to reach. If the song performs as well as they undoubtedly hope it will, he'll have the power and credibility to put out something edgier for the next single.

This is exactly what I said previously. You use the candy to get the audience to accept the spinich later on. First singles released tended to be the more upbeat, easier listening songs on the album rather than the more intense, complicated ones. It's no secret why Pink released "So What?" before "Sober" even though "Sober" is a far greater song. "So What?" was fun and bubbly and sounded great on the radio while "Sober" was more intense and deep. This song is reintroducing Adam to an audience that hasn't been watching his every move and waiting with baited breath for his next album. He's got to win this over, so picking a song that is going to appeal to a wide audience and hopefully get a lot of radio play makes a lot of sense. I think that it's a very good song and it's fun to listen to, but I hardly think that it's going to be the best song on the album.

I agree that there are those who are going to shit on this no matter what. It can take off, become a hit and maybe even be nominated for some awards, and those that just don't like Adam will still not be convinced. That's fine me with. I still have no clue how anyone can consider Justin Beiber a real artisit, but to each his own. No artist or song is going to appeal to everyone. I have several artisits who I love that released songs that I fast forward through.

The music business is a business and it's a harsh one. Don't sell and the label drops you. Radio doesn't play you and the singles don't move. It doesn't matter how talented or nice an artist is, if he doesn't sell he's not going to surive. The road is littered with thousands of talented singers and songwriters that didn't make it. Adam is being very smart about how he's handling this initial release and by selecting this particular song, shows that he's taking the business side of thins very seriously. In a lot of ways, that's just as important as being a good song writer and performer.

wragged2

wragged2

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 1:42 PM

Adam is being very smart about how he's handling this initial release and by selecting this particular song,

This is what is commonly called a sell-out. Artistry be damned. I need this ish to sell.

Also selling out is when you do something out of character just to sell.

Adam was never a Daughtry wannabe until this song. What's with the auto-tune and the wall of noise? Where is the "pretty"? I don't hear any.

Edited by wragged2, Dec 17, 2011 @ 2:46 PM.

LambyToes2

LambyToes2

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 2:40 PM

This is what is commonly called a sell-out. Artistry be damned. I need this ish to sell.

That only washes when the product is sub-par. What Adam did was marry his superior voice w an understanding of the business and what it takes to get air play. BTIKM is addictive and has a great beat but is also intricate, well written, and showcases his voice expertly without being too flashy. Somebody had posted on twitter or somewhere else I can't remember that if this song was on FYE he would have wailed the entire back end simply because he can. THIS time around he is showing his restraint and maturity in a really exciting way. He could have done some song with a fast beat and 5 repetitive lyrics over it like Ke$ha or BEPs or some shit but this song is actually quite emotionally mature as well as artistically mature.

Also selling out is when you do something out of character just to sell. Adam has touted his love of and desire to make pop music since he got off Idol. It's not his fault some people have a tin ear.

Adam was never a Daughtry wannabe until this song. What's with the auto-tune and the wall of noise? Where is the "pretty"? I don't hear any.

Yeah .... if you're hearing Daughtry I can't really speak to that. I have no idea HOW to tune my ears to hear Daughtry in this song. That's not a dis. I think Daughtry is very good at what they do but this song is NOTHING like them. The earlier Usher comparison makes way more sense and even that was a bit of stretch.

Edited by LambyToes2, Dec 17, 2011 @ 3:27 PM.

Maura73

Maura73

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 4:47 PM

I honestly do not hear Daughtry in that song, at all. r&b, yes. Soft, mildly countrified rock, or "confederate" Bon Jovi ala Daughtry? No.

Edited by Maura73, Dec 17, 2011 @ 4:50 PM.

Oldernotwiser

Oldernotwiser

Fanatic

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 5:59 PM

What the hell?

Like the single, hate the single, whatever, everyone's entitled to their own musical preferences. It doesn't make Adam God or Satan and it doesn't make any other performer more or less of anything if Adam's single does well or it doesn't. It's hardly like they all occupy the same musical niche.

I don't get the "If Adam wins, others lose" thing, I really don't.

ashmole

ashmole

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 6:09 PM

I honestly do not hear Daughtry in that song, at all. r&b, yes. Soft, mildly countrified rock, or "confederate" Bon Jovi ala Daughtry? No.

Could wragged2 perhaps mean that Daughtry uses autotune and wall of noise and now Adam has done the same? Like you, I don't really hear any Daughtry. But maybe a tiny bit Bruno Mars in the very beginning ;)

taurus11

taurus11

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 6:30 PM

Fantastic article from the prestigious UK Sunday Times - lots of detail re the Queen performance and the new album.

http://i.imgur.com/rtilH.jpg enlarge to read

LambyToes2

LambyToes2

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 6:40 PM

That is a fantastic article and seeing as the UK has been a tough nut to crack for Adam, it's just what he needs. After that EMA performance literally heard 'round the world folks were itching to know who the hell he was. lol

It also astounds me that Adam was on American Idol and usually when one of these people either doesn't take off at all or takes off then falls off they wind up on VH1 celebreality shows or state fairs or whatever. Adam's Plan B is to front one of the most influential rock bands in history. .... That's a good place to be, I think.

Maura73

Maura73

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 6:58 PM

Could wragged2 perhaps mean that Daughtry uses autotune and wall of noise and now Adam has done the same? Like you, I don't really hear any Daughtry. But maybe a tiny bit Bruno Mars in the very beginning ;)

In that case, ita! Autotune is pretty much a given nowadays. The important thing is that neither Adam nor Daughtry needs to use it to cover up bad singing, as both guys can sing paint off the walls live :D

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 8:27 PM

The Prophet Blog review:
http://www.theprophe...n-i-know-myself

areca

areca

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 8:29 PM

The problem with the new single, it's not that great of a song to begin with.

Yeah. Adam sounds amazing on this. I like auto-tuned stuff. I like the key of the song. I just...hate the construction of it. It's formula writ large. And it seems like formula I was listening to about 18-24 months ago. That's my problem with it.

We'll see how it does. I'm looking forward to the rest of the album.

nice PANTS

nice PANTS

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 8:31 PM

Hearing the whole song it is sounding more Jon Secada than Savage Garden now to me.

winnbott

winnbott

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 10:05 PM

I'm willing to bet RCA was perfectly happy with the performance of FYE. It did exactly what it needed to do. Sales were more than acceptable

But when compared to other Idol RCA artists like Kelly Clarkson, Chris Daughtry, Fantasia, David Cook, all of them had better debuts than Adam Lambert. And he was not only the most hyped Idol that ever came off the show, but he also had the most professional experience. And it looks like 18 yr old Scotty McCreery will end up selling more than Adam Lambert. Unlike Kelly Clarkson and Daughtry, RCA did not give Adam Lambert the prime time spot of releasing his new album in the fall, to take advantage of the big holiday shopping season.

DerekMcG

DerekMcG

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 10:59 PM

Hearing the whole song it is sounding more Jon Secada than Savage Garden now to me.

Nice PANTS: I assume your point in continually telling us which artist's repertoire BTIKM reminds you of is to imply that it's derivative. And that Adam Lambert is therefore unoriginal. Very subtle.

winnbott wrote:

it looks like 18 yr old Scotty McCreery will end up selling more than Adam Lambert.

So? Since when has commercial popularity been automatically synonymous with greatness? (If that were the case, it would logically follow that Susan Boyle is today's finest contemporary artist.) Besides, is anyone really surprised that a freshly scrubbed, young heterosexual country singer (with a non-threatening album cover and conventional songs pitched at the lucrative teen market) has more mainstream appeal in the US than a makeup-wearing, unashamedly sexual gay man in his late 20s?

But I'm not worried for Lambert's future, especially when even his detractors seemingly can't stop thinking and writing about him. Whatever else one might say about Adam Lambert, the man commands attention.

Edited by DerekMcG, Dec 17, 2011 @ 11:24 PM.

Maura73

Maura73

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 11:03 PM

Trespassing is now #64 on Amazon Best Sellers :) http://www.amazon.co...6XK18QWTN11SC#4

quixoticquest

quixoticquest

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 11:10 PM

another great review:
http://www.allureofsound.com/?p=24410

excerpts: Adam Lambert may have ...become the biggest star that American Idol has produced in the past five years, but now is when the hard work really begins... When Adam’s voice swells to declare, at the opening of the song’s chorus, “Cause if I wanted to go I would have gone by now, but I really need you near me,” it’s nothing short of remarkable...by far Adam’s strongest single to date....Glambert deserves just as much of the credit as the hitmakers behind him. It’s his emotional delivery that truly brings “Better Than I Know Myself” to life, topped off with those now trademark rock star high notes that have made the 29-year-old one of the finest male vocalists in the industry today.

Since when has commercial popularity been synonymous with greatness?

I don't think it is, but it is worth noting, if people want to discuss this (as silly as I find the whole numbers thing, partly for the reason above)...one of the reasons Adam is considered a bigger star than David Cook and Scotty McCreery (who seems to be doing very well) is that unlike them he's had radio success, which is what keeps artists relevant for the most part (though obviously scotty could still get that). Also critical success, which I don't think they had with their albums. Plus doing well in the US and then like 1.3 million total? I think that's as much or more than any idol in quite a while, and depending on how things go, might remain so. But the radio thing is big. Which is why I'm excited that the single seems to be getting good reviews. :) Again, the whole idol numbers competition is dumb, but if people are going to bring up numbers in adam's thread, they may as well have the right facts.

And he's achieved all this success without being in the tabloids or wearing guy liner. He has a reputation for being a down to earth guy - no one can accused him of being a media whore.

Er...I think it's perfectly fine to not like Adam, obviously, since we can't all like the same singer or actors or writers, etc. But it seems...iffy...to look down on a guy or think he's a diva because he wears eyeliner. It's fine to not wear eyeliner, and it's fine to wear it. Especially given that Adam has a great reputation for being exceptionally sweet and down-to-earth, that just seems like an odd critique.

Edited by quixoticquest, Dec 17, 2011 @ 11:23 PM.

lise5094

lise5094

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 11:21 PM

Another stellar review of what I believe is a stellar song.

And this guy calls it "pop perfection".

Edited by lise5094, Dec 18, 2011 @ 12:04 AM.

quixoticquest

quixoticquest

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 11:26 PM

Another stellar review of what I believe is a stellar song.

That's awesome. Obviously we can't know how the song will do, but it's great that it's being well-received and buzzed about so far. Personally, I really like it, more than WWFM or IIHY. I enjoyed those but didn't feel the need to put them on repeat. This one, I put on loop, which is what I do with new songs that just get into my head. I think it's genuinely good, though I'm sure there will be songs on the album I love more.

Also I loved this: "a personal connection with every word he sings"

That's true, and unusual enough to be fantastic. :)

LambyToes2

LambyToes2

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 12:16 AM

Kris was on break from school and had been paid to sing in bars (even if it was $10 that's still professional) Allison had been working in pageants and on Spanish TV. Matt was a professional piano player. I don't care if he was in school too. Adam was a struggling artist who made a name for himself w his talent and professionalism. You can't begrudge the man for being good at his job.

None of this matters though, what does matter is Adam executive produced his sophomore album and it has a bunch of buzz and is getting lots of wonderful international press. That's a cause for celebration. We should all hope to 'fail' like Adam tbh.

DerekMcG

DerekMcG

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 12:17 AM

Lady Gaga is not your typical mainstream artist, but she still has sold millions of record. It's ironic the gay card is always used to justify Lambert's shortcomings.

winnbott: The only one claiming "shortcomings" here is you, and I refuse to get into some sort of pointless cultural debate as to why an openly gay male performer faces a tougher challenge in some respects than a bisexual female pop singer. As for dragging up Lambert's professional experience in theater prior to Idol---as if that contained some relevance to your point that he should have achieved greater commercial success in the different world of pop music---well, I'm not even going to go there.

If I were a suspicious person, I would probably infer that the only reason all of this ancient history is being regurgitated is in a vain attempt to have this thread locked on the eve of the official release of BTIKM.

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 12:21 AM

Because this is a notoriously contentious thread, there are some things that are off-topic. Don't talk about whether Adam is a "success," especially whether he's more or less "successful" than other performers. Don't talk about whether his label likes him. Don't talk about his fan base, or his anti-fan base. Don't talk about whether he should have won his season of American Idol.

Talk about Adam Lambert and his music. Feel free to share your opinion and to discuss those things. However, if I feel that you're deliberately causing trouble, I will cheerfully ban you without a second thought. I believe that there can be a polite, on-topic discussion of Adam Lambert.

quixoticquest

quixoticquest

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 12:44 AM

I'm (obviously, lol) not an expert, but it seems like this single is getting really good reviews and a fair amount of buzz. Yay!

mezzzmerized

mezzzmerized

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 12:48 AM

I'm (obviously, lol) not an expert, but it seems like this single is getting really good reviews and a fair amount of buzz. Yay!

It really does! Granted, most of these new ones today are just bloggers, but they're legit pop music bloggers with no Idol axe to grind looking at the music itself. It's definitely a good sign!

Edited by mezzzmerized, Dec 18, 2011 @ 12:49 AM.

nice PANTS

nice PANTS

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 12:55 AM

Nice PANTS: I assume your point in continually telling us which artist's repertoire BTIKM reminds you of is to imply that it's derivative. And that Adam Lambert is therefore unoriginal. Very subtle.

I'm quite sure that I'm not trying to imply anything. The track just reminds me of how much of Jon Secada's music is vocally driven with his voice in front of the music plus it has kind of an early 90's feel to the song for me.

lise5094

lise5094

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 1:10 AM

Granted, most of these new ones today are just bloggers

Most, perhaps, but not all. The link has already been posted, but the UK Sunday Times certainly isn't "just another blogger". (click to enlarge)

I'm really enjoying these reviews from people who seem to get as much pleasure out of the song as I do.