Adam Lambert (Take 2)

• Please log in to reply

15055 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 12:39 PM

Let's set some ground rules here.

First and foremost: read the FAQ if you haven't already. Right now.

Secondly: this is a Web site about television. This particular forum is about Adam Lambert, his appearance on American Idol, his music career, and so forth.

It is NOT a place to get into pissing matches with other posters. It is NOT a place to bitch about other Web sites or what they're saying about him. It is NOT a place to act like a 12 year old schoolgirl or, for that matter, a disapproving parent.

In short - turn your enthusiasm / lack thereof about Adam down from "11". I don't care how you feel about Adam - I just expect this to be a sane discussion thread. If you cannot carry on a sane, rational, drama-free discussion with other posters... this may not be the site for you.

For those wondering - consider this a new starting point.

sweet and sour

sweet and sour

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 12:45 PM

Thank you Gadget!

Can we still have the Glittery Alien from Planet Fierce title?
ETA/Gadget: When y'all earn it. Moving on...

ETA/S&S: sounds fair to me ty

Back to the discussion about touring; I think it will be at least 6 months post album release before he'll be ready to tour so that puts him right around Summer.

Really you think it will take that long? I would have though early/late spring. Hopefully they will hook him up with an established artist.

Well keeping in mind that he's going to have A LOT of promoting to do which could entail appearances on talk shows, AI, award shows, etc and yes, I think it could be late Spring/early summer.

I'm not really sure which established artists they could hook him up with which is why I think hearing the music will give a better picture of what type of tour we're looking at. If it's a lot of electronica he could do a club tour easier than a venue type tour.

Edited by sweet and sour, Oct 5, 2009 @ 1:24 PM.

isitover

isitover

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 12:55 PM

Really you think it will take that long? I would have though early/late spring. Hopefully they will hook him up with an established artist.

MamaDeb

MamaDeb

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 1:10 PM

Adam said he's going to be in Britain for a show in January. It makes sense to me that the initial tour dates will have been booked already. Cook started touring in February, right?

The length of the tour depends on the success of the album, but the tour itself is going to happen. As for him opening for someone else - I think it depends on the artist. I think he's the definition of a hard act to follow, and unlike the Idol tour, it probably won't work to just switch gears to someone totally different. I would think that a very established act with a bit of a flamboyant edge would work best, but would they want him?

I imagine that these negotiations have been going on for a long time now.

yeahcapes

yeahcapes

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 1:17 PM

The length of the tour depends on the success of the album, but the tour itself is going to happen. As for him opening for someone else - I think it depends on the artist. I think he's the definition of a hard act to follow, and unlike the Idol tour, it probably won't work to just switch gears to someone totally different. I would think that a very established act with a bit of a flamboyant edge would work best, but would they want him?

Maybe they can consider co-headlining instead of opening act?

sweet and sour

sweet and sour

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 1:23 PM

Maybe they can consider co-headlining instead of opening act?

That would work but that usually requires someone on at least an equal or similar success level (like Justin and Christina).

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that Adam should go the Kelly Clarkson route and not be an opening act for anyone. Adam is to "large" on stage to really be an opening act.

Caro

Caro

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 1:26 PM

Slight retread, but I would absolutely, 100% go see an Adam/Lady Gaga tour. (Or just an Adam tour, for that matter, but the two of them together would be truly mindblowing/eye-popping.) I've been listening to Top 40 radio more these days, and I think that what separates both Adam and Lady Gaga from many of the other more visually-oriented, over-the-top artists on the charts today is that they can both actually sing. Really well, in fact. They've made a choice to be visual because it serves their music and their message, rather than because it's the only way they can get attention/distract from their mediocre voices. (I'm writing this assuming that Adam as a solo artist will be visually oriented, but I think that's a fair assumption, given both his pre-AI stuff and his performances on the show/tour.)

MamaDeb

MamaDeb

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 1:28 PM

At this point, I can see Adam co-headlining MAYBE with Katy Perry, since they're already friends and she's such a fan of his, and I would think Adam's potential shows would mesh well with hers. MAYBE. And she's pretty new herself.

But the more established acts that he'd need to get proper non-Idol attention would not want to co-headline with a complete newcomer, and they'd certainly not want anyone to think they needed to co-headline with a complete newcomer.

I just know I'd rather he opened for someone big in medium to large venues than soloed in smaller places. We know he can do fine in smaller places, but he needs to leave cabaret behind him, and we also know he can soar in arenas. I want him to soar.

Edited by MamaDeb, Oct 5, 2009 @ 1:29 PM.

Peanutbuttercup

Peanutbuttercup

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 1:31 PM

Here is an article about what we know about the shooting of the music video for "Time for Miracles." Most of the info comes from twitter I guess.

Scottish

Scottish

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 1:39 PM

As much as a Lady Gaga/Adam tour would be entertaining, it would be a thousand times more entertaining to see Adam's initial reaction to the news Lady Gaga is "reaching out" to him. I think he would be having his own Adamgasm over that.

I don't see a problem with Adam as opening act. It's a great way for him to gain further exposure and new fans, as well as a way to showcase his own popularity, since I assume he would have a positive impact on ticket sales.

sweet and sour

sweet and sour

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 1:50 PM

I just know I'd rather he opened for someone big in medium to large venues than soloed in smaller places. We know he can do fine in smaller places, but he needs to leave cabaret behind him, and we also know he can soar in arenas. I want him to soar.

Yes, soaring is good. But if he soars too high too fast the only way to go is down. I'd rather he have a slow burn than a quick flash.

He could do smallish to medium size venues (seating between 3-8K people) and still have a good stage set up with all the bells and whistles.

It all depends on the type of music that's on his album though. The songs will undoubtedly be very different from what he did on Idol and so the 'feel' of his concert performances might change as well.

Yes! That's what I said earlier. It will all depend on the music! Bring on the album! *or at least the single?*

Edited by sweet and sour, Oct 5, 2009 @ 2:00 PM.

jas89

jas89

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 1:56 PM

It all depends on the type of music that's on his album though. The songs will undoubtedly be very different from what he did on Idol and so the 'feel' of his concert performances might change as well.

The Adam on Idol tour was very different from most mainstream artistes today but the Adam on his debut cd will probably be able to blend in pretty well. Finding another artiste to tour with will then not be too hard.

Karlovicious

Karlovicious

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 1:56 PM

He could do smallish to medium size venues (seating between 3-8K people) and still have a good stage set up with all the bells and whistles.

I think this is similar to what David Cook did (although it was more focused around college campus/venues) so maybe you're onto something.

xuziqueue

xuziqueue

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 2:18 PM

I like the idea of a smaller venue. Up close and personal. Could even toss shoes on the stage.

Wanky Wanker

Wanky Wanker

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 3:12 PM

At this point, I can see Adam co-headlining MAYBE with Katy Perry, since they're already friends and she's such a fan of his, and I would think Adam's potential shows would mesh well with hers. MAYBE. And she's pretty new herself.

Co-headlining with any popular artist like Lady Gaga or Katy Perry is a pipe dream at this point. Katy isn't really all that new anymore, imo. He'd be lucky to get to open.

Edited by Wanky Wanker, Oct 5, 2009 @ 3:12 PM.

sweet and sour

sweet and sour

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 3:17 PM

Co-headlining with any popular artist like Lady Gaga or Katy Perry is a pipe dream at this point. Katy isn't really all that new anymore, imo. He'd be lucky to get to open.

I don't know if I'd call it a "pipe dream" considering he seems to have, at least with Katy Perry, a close friendship and she's clearly a fan of his. Lady GaGa hasn't done a large scale tour on her own, which is why she was teaming up with Kanye. She may do a smaller scaled tour through April or May and then who knows, she might want to join forces with Lord GaGa LOL

I think it's fun speculating about the tour because right now that's all it is.

I think any act would be lucky to get him as an opening act, as long as they were able to handle him being so OTT and showstoppingly great live.

Kaefreeman

Kaefreeman

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 3:23 PM

A new DonorsChoose.org article.

It's interesting to note that people are still donating in Adam's name even though the contest is over.

What cities do these Idols usually include in their first tour?

Wanky Wanker

Wanky Wanker

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 3:34 PM

I don't know if I'd call it a "pipe dream" considering he seems to have, at least with Katy Perry, a close friendship and she's clearly a fan of his.

They are friends? So what. You're not gonna get to co-headline unless you are perceived to be on the same level as far as your accomplishments in the music industry. A friendly thing to do would be to let him open for her. THAT happens a lot.

Adella

Adella

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 3:42 PM

Hello guys! This is my first post, but I've been following Adamís thread for a while.

Sweet and Sour:
My opinion, for what it's worth, is that Adam should go the Kelly Clarkson route and not be an opening act for anyone. Adam is to "large" on stage to really be an opening act.

Ditto! Somehow I think that he can fill the stadiums (or at least some smaller venues) by himself. Also I read at some other place (it was probably a joke, but anyway...) that she should be opening for him.

I am not really fond of the idea of Adam opening for Lady Gaga in particular. Yes, she is popular, but she is also too controversial. I mean he may gain some new fans doing a tour with her (maybe), but he also may detract from his old fan base. As I probably (just as example) wouldnít be going to that tour. I want to see and hear Adam, not 20 minutes of him and the rest of somebody else and especially her. She is talented, but IMHO is not bigger as Adam. He just didnít have his chance yet. But after his album comes out Ė it could be a whole different ball game.

She is talented and she knows what she is doing, but often it looks like she has to compensate for not being very pretty or having the greatest voice with being outrageous and controversial. Personally I donít see how her theatrics are adding anything to her songs except of some shocking entertainment value. Adamís visuals, on the other hand, do contribute to the whole effect of his performances. And the fact that she was doing drugs (did she even stop?) is not a great advertising either. I just donít see Adam benefiting from touring with someone who is even more OTT. Besides if some of Lady Gaga fans still are not in Adamís camp Ė there is little chance they ever be IMO.

sweet and sour

sweet and sour

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 3:47 PM

They are friends? So what. You're not gonna get to co-headline unless you are perceived to be on the same level as far as your accomplishments in the music industry. A friendly thing to do would be to let him open for her. THAT happens a lot.

I wasn't aware that Katy Perry was so accomplished. I agree that I'm not sure he's ready to co-headline with anyone outside of perhaps another AIer but to call it a "pipe dream" is dismissive of Adam's popularity and what could be seen as a shared fanbase between himself and Katy Perry and/or Lady GaGa.

Opening for Katy would be cool. They could duet on I Kissed A Girl... that would be a hoot

jayk

jayk

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 3:53 PM

Did someone mention Adam coming to Britain? Is this true??

yeahcapes

yeahcapes

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 3:53 PM

It's not impossible to have some opening act dates plus some smaller venue solo dates isn't it? He can always join Lady Gaga/Perry/*insert preferred headliner* for one leg of the tour and do some smaller venues for himself too.

Kaefreeman

Kaefreeman

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 4:02 PM

I would think that co-headlining, opening up for someone or solo tour would depend quite a bit on how well his album does. It's doing very well on Amazon, without any promotion at all, and I've seen it quoted that Amazon has 10% of music sales. Usually what one retailer shows will be reflected in other retailers. It's all a matter of where people like to shop. If you try to buy a certain popular child's toy at Christmas, it won't be sold out at just one store, it will be sold out at every store that has it, whether it is a toy store, department store, or Walmart. To make it simpler, Sales and popularity of certain items stay fairly consistent, no matter which retailer sells them.

sweet and sour

sweet and sour

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 4:15 PM

It's not impossible to have some opening act dates plus some smaller venue solo dates isn't it? He can always join Lady Gaga/Perry/*insert preferred headliner* for one leg of the tour and do some smaller venues for himself too.

That would be the best case scenerio IMO.

jay Yes, there has been talk of him going to Britian and I think they are planning on marketing him overseas from the very beginning of his career.

xuziqueue

xuziqueue

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 4:32 PM

jay Yes, there has been talk of him going to Britian and I think they are planning on marketing him overseas from the very beginning of his career.

You can read about it in this Lambrit's account in the section called "The after-show party Ė meeting Adam."

The gist of it:
Me: So will we see you in England soon?

Adam: I hope so! I hope itíll be early next year.

Me: Is Simon arranging that?

Adam: Simon Fuller is. Simon Cowell isnít connected with that side of things.

CaitieUGA

CaitieUGA

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 4:45 PM

The idea that Adam is at the point in his career where he can sell out stadiums or be considered as big a draw as Kanye West (who was originally slated to co-headline the GaGa tour) is bizarre to me. Opening for Lady GaGa would be amazing in and of itself.

I've seen it quoted that Amazon has 10% of music sales.

Amazon controls 10% of non-digital music sales.

Usually what one retailer shows will be reflected in other retailers. It's all a matter of where people like to shop.

Maybe, but Amazon is also the first (and currently only?) place to pre-order Adam's CD, so I assume that skews the numbers if his fans are flocking there to order their copies. And are the CDs charting around him representative of the industry charts?

Edited by CaitieUGA, Oct 5, 2009 @ 4:53 PM.

Scamp

Scamp

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 4:55 PM

Kelly was able to have great radioplay pretty much from the start, which allowed her to expand her fanbase beyond AI, so that path worked well for her. It seems that radioplay is the key factor to making the successful transition from AI alumnus to an established, independent solo artist. I wouldn't be surprised if Adam went overseas to promote his CD, as I believe that he has the potential to be more commercially successful abroad than in the U.S.

Somehow I think that he can fill the stadiums (or at least some smaller venues) by himself.

He won't be able to fill stadiums right away, but he could probably fill venues of a few thousand max, depending on the location.

Me: Is Simon arranging that?

Adam: Simon Fuller is. Simon Cowell isnít connected with that side of things.

It sounds like Simon Fuller is personally managing Adam. Good.

ETA:

The idea that Adam is at the point in his career where he can sell out stadiums or be considered as big a draw as Kanye West (who was originally slated to co-headline the GaGa tour) is bizarre to me. Opening for Lady GaGa would be amazing in and of itself.

I agree.

Maybe, but Amazon is also the first (and currently only?) place to pre-order Adam's CD, so I assume that skews the numbers if his fans are flocking there to order their copies.

It's also available for preorder from Best Buy and Barnes and Noble.

Edited by Scamp, Oct 5, 2009 @ 5:01 PM.

snk9

snk9

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 5:08 PM

Maybe, but Amazon is also the first (and currently only?) place to pre-order Adam's CD, so I assume that skews the numbers if his fans are flocking there to order their copies. And are the CDs charting around him representative of the industry charts?

No, actually his album is also available for pre-order on the Barnes&Noble and Best Buy websites, in fact it went on pre-order on both of those sites several hours before it was available on Amazon US. At one point last week it had risen as high as #2 on the Best Buy pre-orders list (it is currently #3) and it rose as high as #5 on the B&N Bestsellers list (it is currently #7).

I agree that the plans for a tour will be very dependent on how well the album sells, so probably too early to tell.

Krinkle Cut

Krinkle Cut

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 5:25 PM

I wasn't aware that Katy Perry was so accomplished.

She's far more accomplished-and established-than Adam. Adam is huge in the AI bubble. He's got some possible mainstream buzz. But until he has a hit single and a hit cd he is a reality show contestant in the eyes of the vast majority of the public. Katy Perry, Lady GaGa, and the rest of those dominating the Top 40 are who Adam is aspiring to become. He's not above ANY of them.

Kaefreeman

Kaefreeman

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 5, 2009 @ 5:36 PM

Maybe, but Amazon is also the first (and currently only?) place to pre-order Adam's CD, so I assume that skews the numbers if his fans are flocking there to order their copies.

Actually no, it isn't the only place to preorder Adam's CD and Amazon wasn't the first.

snk9, your fast. I was still doing spell check when you posted. Same links plus a few more.

Best Buy
(He's third on the music preorder list for Best Buy.)

Barnes and Noble

Play.com

And Amazon sells the Cd for the different countries like Japan, Ca, and the UK

And I was comparing his numbers on this graph for Amazon in how well he is doing.

Extra's Celebrity Twitters includes Adam on the list. LMAO @ the timing. :)