4-13: "Thanksgiving" 2010.02.10 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

125 replies to this topic

Doodle00

Doodle00

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 15, 2010 @ 9:31 PM

I've yet to more than the first episode of season 3. Don't remember too much growth in seasons 1 and 2, beyond going from not visiting Jason in the hospital while sleeping with Jason's girlfriend to accompanying him to Mexico and talking him out of a risky procedure. He was still an unreliable teammate (drinking before practices; taking depressed Matt with him no less) whose relationships, according to Lya, lasted 20 minutes.

Well, I'll grant you that most of his growth took place in Season 3 (watch beyond the first episode, believe me!). However, off the top of my head, at the beginning of Season 1, he was hungover, banging Tyra and random rally girls, cruelly dumping Tyra (or rather, indifferently allowing Tyra to "break up" with him whilst teeing beer cans off of a cliff), and ignoring his best friend's paralysis because of his discomfort, guilt and depression. By the end of Season 1, he'd started to turn things around, reconciling with Jason; proactively defending Lyla to Jason; convincing Lyla to follow her heart and go to the cheerleading competition; and trying to make amends with Tyra. During Season 2, we saw him progress further, accompanying Jason to Mexico and preventing him from making the worst mistake he could make; falling in love with, and pursuing, Lyla; and focusing on that goal single-handedly, which brought out lots of other charming (and more mature?) aspects of his personality, e.g., no longer sleeping around; drinking less; going to church (!); and committing to an actual non-football activity (the radio show). But Season 3 is really where he is transformed -- it is Season 3 that follows Tim supporting his best friend unconditionally, helping Jason achieve his dream (in one of the best episodes of the entire show!), making money as a result of (sort of) hard work, turning it around on the football field and mentoring a new quarterback, and, perhaps most showcasing his growth and progression as a character, making a relationship work (and work beautifully) with Lyla Garrity. Through his relationship with Lyla, he really became a man; he embraced the role of her protector and caretaker, and he stepped up big time.

Anyway, despite all of this progression, of course Tim wasn't entirely devoid of what made him TimRiggins in the first place, i.e., the drinking, partying, and dislike of school, organized football practices, and any kind of work. Those personality traits follow him not only through Seasons 1 through 3, but through Season 4 as well.

Also think in seaons 1 or 2 he definitely would have ended up in a 20 minute sexual relationship with Becky.

Possibly in Season 1; and possibly the beginning of Season 2; probably not end by the end of Season 2 and certainly not at any point during Season 3. That said, even Season 1 Tim wasn't scummy. He did get into that relationship with the neighbor lady, and he certainly treated her son well. So it's certainly possible that Season 1 Tim would have reacted the exact same way with Becky/ her mom given the circumstances. I can't imagine that Season 4 Tim wouldn't have slept with Becky had he not banged her mother already and were he not living in the trailer. What's the expression: don't shit where you eat? Or something like that.

garyc

garyc

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 17, 2010 @ 4:15 AM

falling in love with, and pursuing, Lyla; and focusing on that goal single-handedly, which brought out lots of other charming (and more mature?) aspects of his personality, e.g., no longer sleeping around; drinking less; going to church (!); and committing to an actual non-football activity (the radio show).

I don't know. Guess it depends on your point of view, but I didn't see the going to church and starting the radio show as positive, as I didn't see him as caring much about either. More just a way of trying to split Lyla and her possible new boyfriend apart. But its not like he didn't always have strong points; its just that by introducing the character as a party boy who dodges going to visit his crippled best friend he's shown in the worst light at the beginning of the show.

That said, even Season 1 Tim wasn't scummy. He did get into that relationship with the neighbor lady, and he certainly treated her son well. So it's certainly possible that Season 1 Tim would have reacted the exact same way with Becky/ her mom given the circumstances. I can't imagine that Season 4 Tim wouldn't have slept with Becky had he not banged her mother already and were he not living in the trailer.

He certainly had the reputation of having slept with half of Texas, as Buddy put it. Exageration (need spell check) no doubt, and as he wasn't in a relationship most of the time he could sleep with whomever he wanted. Still kind of think Season four Tim wouldn't have slept with Becky. And from what I've seen of Season 3 so far (up to episode 5), while it was Tim's idea to steal from the drug dealer, in Seasons 3 and 4 the really bad decisions (stealing and dealing with stolen cars) were all initiated by Billy. To me, season 4 is Tim as much a victim of circumstance and of being with the wrong people (his brother and Becky's jealous mother) than of anything else. Maybe he does need to get out of Dillon.

Anyway, just saying that if you start watching on Season 4 Tim comes across as a generally sympathetic character (to me anyway.) If you start with seasons 1 and 2 he is entertaininig, and at times sympathetic (the Season 1 episodes with his father) but he also has some serious flaws.

NoWillToResist

NoWillToResist

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 10:13 PM

I agree with Meredith about Billy angling to persuade Tim to take the fall. In real life, this wouldn't work, not because Tim wouldn't go for it, but because the cops would not buy it for more than a minute.

I'm not so sure. Colin, the link, is dead. The only person who was in the chain of events was the car crusher and he could only i.d. Tim because Tim was stupid enough to only use that guy. If Tim confesses to it all, why would the cops go any further? Nice and easy open and shut case for them.

I do wonder whether Tim will have to forfeit the land. Logic tells me he should but this is tv, so I don't know. I definitely wonder whether Riggins' Rigs will go out of business over this. I imagine that many people may take their business elsewhere if it's made public that it was a chop shop.

When Becky drove all the way over to Tim's house to tell him he was a coward and a disappointment I could not figure out why Tim didn't just take a step back and slam the door on her face. He didn't owe her anything and the powers that be did not do a good job this season of making us understand why Tim would have any kind of attachment to this annoying girl, much less take her crap.

I think he initially saw this lost girl with a 'crap' home life and sympathized. What drove me mad was how piss poorly he discouraged her romantic overtures. His constant refrains of "this can't happen" made me want to scream. That is not the way to shut her down, Tim. Say "I'm not interested". Anything else will simply drive her fantasy deeper because now you appear to be all noble and unwilling to sully her. Or some such bullshit. I guess he liked who she believed him to be and that's why he wants to re-gain her trust? But to be honest, I wished that he'd been all "good riddance, you pest". I do not like that he gave her his mother's snow globe and said he'd come and get it "when the time was right" because that just totally smacks of "you're too young for me right now, so I'll wait until you reach the age or majority when it won't be quite so squicky." The fact that he boned her mother apparently doesn't bother either of them. Gross.

To be honest, I am glad he's going to prison. Phew. There. I said it. It is a long overdue reality check for both brothers, IMO. For too long Tim Riggins has been a complete and utter waste of space. A mostly ex-manwhore, he drinks and loafs around, doing fuck-all except the odd bit of criminal enterprise to get some money quickly. Shiftless, aimless, hopeless. Lyla is well rid of him.

Ill advised though the chop shop was, I can WAY more understand Billy doing it than Tim. Billy had his wife and unborn child's welfare at stake (as a side note, is anyone else depressed that unwed teen Becky would apparently have had her medical bills covered, but a poor married couple get shit-all assistance?). Tim simply decided that the chop shop, which early in the episode was a horrible idea, was just the ticket 30 minutes later after precisely one job interview. A job interview for which he managed to put on a suit but forgot to shower and/or even wash and comb his fucking hair. Tim wanted money for himself for selfish gains. Billy wanted money to potentially save two lives.

While Billy is no prince, I'm glad that Tim made his offer. With all due respect to Tim, he has nothing to lose. At all. He has no home, no job, no girl, NO PROSPECTS. He is simply drifting through life, whereas Billy has a home and family. IMO, Tim's offer is the only worthwhile thing that he can do with himself. It's pointless for them both to go to the slammer. Tim's "sacrifice" will, I think, wake up Billy and ensure that he is done with stupid shit. At the same time, I think prison will be good for Tim. He won't have to worry about finding a place to live, a job or a girl. ;) He may find a purpose to his life while he's there and come out a better man. That's my hope for Tim in S5 - that he serves an abbreviated sentence and emerges a new man. The show can either put that on screen if Taylor is free, or can have Billy give us an update on on his brother's plans if Taylor is unavailable.

How Tami's situation ended was complete bullshit, IMO. Luke's mother wanted her fired so that she couldn't influence young minds, so the board lets Tami go to Luke's school to counsel students. Though the irony is delicious, I don't see Luke's mother accepting that. I am also very appalled that no one contacted Luke or anyone else to confirm the accusations against Tami. I mean, if the father of the aborted child does not hold Tami in any way culpable, how does his mother acquire the power to get Tami fired?

Liked how Matt and Julie ended things (though I think this should have been the end of The Son instead of the drawn out bs that we got). I like to think that they'll meet again in a couple of years and re-kindle their relationship once they've both seen a bit more of the world and lived a little.

Glad that Landry got a personal victory. I'm tired of his love life being a giant black hole of suck, so at least he was given this bit of respect and validation.

Whether it was realistic or not, having JD McCoy and his dad be on the losing end of the game was such a delicious schadenfreude moment. I have been hoping for them to be brought down all season. JD choked at the end of last season and couldn't get it done at the end of this season. Ah, sweet, sweet karma. The only thing that would have been better was a little more focus on the devastation on JD's face. Oh well. The loss will suffice. :)

Eric and Tami continue to rock.

Edited by NoWillToResist, Oct 12, 2010 @ 11:30 AM.

Doodle00

Doodle00

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 15, 2010 @ 9:12 AM

What drove me mad was how piss poorly he discouraged her romantic overtures. His constant refrains of "this can't happen" made me want to scream. That is not the way to shut her down, Tim. Say "I'm not interested". Anything else will simply drive her fantasy deeper because now you appear to be all noble and unwilling to sully her.

That always bothered me. I'm rewatching S4 on Netflix now, and it does seem that every time she kisses him, he lets it go on for just a beat too long, and then pulls away and dramatically tells her that "this can't happen," rather than that he's simply not interested in her. Any 15-year-old girl madly infatuated with an older - and very hot - guy would, of course, take this to mean that he is interested, but just can't/ shouldn't pursue it right now. I think the last episode really perpetuated that idea for her (with Tim essentially telling her to wait for him, even though that's obviously not what he meant/ how he meant it), which was just so stupid and inept, even for Tim.

I think he initially saw this lost girl with a 'crap' home life and sympathized.

After reading others opinions' here, I've been successfully convinced that he does see himself in her, and that's why he wants to help her right the ship, in a way that he could not. That said, the fact that it's taken the explanations of other TWOPers to convince me of that fact suggests that the exposition should have been better in the television show itself. Because they certainly didn't do much to explain how or why Tim should have grown to care at all about Becky, particularly in the short period of time that is alleged to have elapsed on the show (we're talking late August or early September to late November, so no more than three months).

Ill advised though the chop shop was, I can WAY more understand Billy doing it than Tim.

Yes, Tim has always tried to take the easy way out. No hard work for that guy. (See, e.g., dropping out of college after a day of class.)

To be honest, I am glad he's going to prison. Phew. There. I said it. It is a long overdue reality check for both brothers, IMO. For too long Tim Riggins has been a complete and utter waste of space. A mostly ex-manwhore, he drinks and loafs around, doing fuck-all except the odd bit of criminal enterprise to get some money quickly. Shiftless, aimless, hopeless. Lyla is well rid of him.

Me, too. He needs to learn some hard lessons in life. And he definitely deserves to have been abandoned by Lyla (I mean, really, under no set of circumstances could those two, post-prison, work it out!), although my Tim/Lyla 'shipper heart still mourns the loss.

having JD McCoy and his dad be on the losing end of the game was such a delicious schadenfreude moment.

I was disappointed with how little screen time they received this season. They were such a big part of the Season 3 buildup (the only new characters introduced!) that, surely, they merited major character status this year? And it never happened. Seeing Joe McCoy actually mature a bit, after realizing his son has turned into a grade-A d-bag, would have been interesting. Seeing his wife/ ex-wife on screen would have been interesting (I loved her last season). Seeing more of the Dillon Panthers through JD's eyes (like in the early days of S4, when Luke was still friends with those guys) would have been interesting. The focus of the show moved so suddenly to East Dillon and the new characters this season that whatever continuity they had been building between S3 and S4 really seemed lost to me.

Edited by Doodle00, Oct 15, 2010 @ 9:15 AM.

NoWillToResist

NoWillToResist

Stalker

Posted Oct 15, 2010 @ 11:22 AM

Any 15-year-old girl madly infatuated with an older - and very hot - guy would, of course, take this to mean that he is interested, but just can't/ shouldn't pursue it right now. I think the last episode really perpetuated that idea for her (with Tim essentially telling her to wait for him, even though that's obviously not what he meant/ how he meant it)

To be honest, I actually got the 'wait for me' vibe and I am very anti-Tim/Becky. The "when the time is right" just screams "we have to wait a bit before we can be together". Now, from Tim's viewpoint, he may just mean that they'll have to wait until he's out of jail for him to regain her trust, but it doesn't gel with the story, IMO. He just told her that it was his mother's and is clearly prized by him. But instead of giving it to his brother (actual family) for safekeeping, he entrusts it to Becky, to whom he owes nothing at all. If he didn't mean that to come off as a delayed promise for a future between them then he's an even bigger fuck up than I thought.

After reading others opinions' here, I've been successfully convinced that he does see himself in her

Having a dirty mind is such a cross to bear. ;)

they certainly didn't do much to explain how or why Tim should have grown to care at all about Becky, particularly in the short period of time that is alleged to have elapsed on the show

I think they alluded to this when he beat up her father for abandoning her for greener pastures. He certainly was mixing in his own daddy issues there. It's such a shame that they took the romantic crush route with Tim and Becky because I think it would have been a much more powerful and interesting story had it stayed platonic on both sides. Tim could have had this younger girl like and respect him without wanting to get into his pants (for a change); having someone's respect without a side of lust would have done wonders for him, IMO. (Has there been a woman of any age outside of the Taylor family who didn't want to jump his bones? Tyra, that old booster at the pep rally, Lyla, the neighbour, Becky's mother, Becky etc.) And for Becky's part, she would have had a friend and confidant who understood the whole 'white trash/crap family situation' she's in. They could have hung out and just been friends supporting each other. Throw in that he already fucked her friggin' mother and I think a platonic relationship would have been worlds better than what TPTB put me through. :)

He needs to learn some hard lessons in life. And he definitely deserves to have been abandoned by Lyla (I mean, really, under no set of circumstances could those two, post-prison, work it out!), although my Tim/Lyla 'shipper heart still mourns the loss.

Well, based on their conversation, it sounds like he stopped communicating with her once he dropped out of college. Hell, even when he knew she was back in town, he didn't approach her; she sought him out for clarification/closure. Once he'd got some good lovin' under his belt, he generously suggests that she manage Riggins' Rigs as if that was anywhere near her life/career goals and not just a convenient "well, here's my stagnant plan for life - hey, I've managed to find a way to shoehorn you in, you lucky girl!" Not.

I think what bothers me the most is that he claimed that all he wants in life is her, but he hasn't done a single fucking thing to facilitate that. Stop communicating with her? Check. Drop out of college? Check. Fuck other people? Check. Not try to obtain legit work? Check. Break the law? Double check.

If he really loved Lyla, his heart needed to take control over his dick and his brain and start making them function together towards obtaining that goal. All of the personal progress he went through when he was with her has been negated this season and it depresses me. Add on that he apparently didn't want any of that for himself (only because she wanted it for him) and he just comes off as so incredibly pathetic that I don't want him to drag her down with his 'love'. Glad she got outta Dodge.

Doodle00

Doodle00

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 10:46 AM

To be honest, I actually got the 'wait for me' vibe and I am very anti-Tim/Becky.

My mileage definitely varies on this issue. I felt that Tim had zero interest in her all season, but couldn't seem to get that message across because he finds it very difficult to reject the advances of anyone. Same with the last episode - I continued to think that Tim had no interest in her as anything but a kid sister, but was too oblivious to realize that she wouldn't take his "take my snow globe and keep it for me" gesture in the "kid sister" way. I think Tim was trying to get the point across to her that she had family (his family) to help take care of her if/when her own family bailed because he had been through it before with his own dad, and wanted to be there for her in a way that no one had been there for him. As a brother, not a lover. Clearly poorly done, though, if two otherwise reasonable viewers can disagree on Tim's intent.

Has there been a woman of any age outside of the Taylor family who didn't want to jump his bones?

No, but has there been a single female viewer of the show - from grandmas to girls - that didn't feel the same way? I don't blame them.

Once he'd got some good lovin' under his belt, he generously suggests that she manage Riggins' Rigs as if that was anywhere near her life/career goals and not just a convenient "well, here's my stagnant plan for life - hey, I've managed to find a way to shoehorn you in, you lucky girl!" Not.

See, I didn't think he suggested this to Lyla as some magnanimous "aren't you lucky to have me?" gesture. I saw this as the offer of someone who was desperate to hang onto the woman he loved even as he knew he couldn't, and that she was slipping away. Don't get me wrong - I had a problem with that scene for entirely different reasons, mainly the fact that four-five months prior to that scene, Tim implored her to go to Vandy because he didn't want to be "that guy" who held her back. I find it implausible that he did a 180 on that issue so quickly. That said, his emotions may have gotten the better of him. He hadn't wanted to be the guy to hold her back, but now that she was back - so close and yet so far (cliche alert) - he threw it out there even though he knew better and probably also knew that she would never take him up on it. He just wanted to be with her, and that's the only way he knew how - in his very small bubble of a life - to make it work.

I think what bothers me the most is that he claimed that all he wants in life is her, but he hasn't done a single fucking thing to facilitate that. Stop communicating with her? Check. Drop out of college? Check. Fuck other people? Check. Not try to obtain legit work? Check. Break the law? Double check.

Agree 100 percent. Really depressing to this Tim/Lyla fan that his fear of progression was greater than his love for Lyla, causing him to retreat from the best path forward for both him and them together.

Add on that he apparently didn't want any of that for himself (only because she wanted it for him) and he just comes off as so incredibly pathetic that I don't want him to drag her down with his 'love'. Glad she got outta Dodge.

Sigh. It's all true. I know that, realistically, theirs was a love doomed to fail. Lyla was going on to bigger and better things, and Tim was going nowhere in life, despite all of those around him that tried to make something better happen for him. And I know she's not coming back in a guest appearance in the fifth season, so it's not like there even the possibility of another reunion or a less depressing ending for them. So it's absolutely right that, in the end, she's better off without him. That said, it's a television show and I love me my happy, unrealistic endings.