4-13: "Thanksgiving" 2010.02.10 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

125 replies to this topic

Lila82

Lila82

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2010 @ 12:47 PM

Next season: quality over quantity. We had too many characters, old and new, and their develpment was spread too thin. I loved every. single. moment. of Vince's storyline, even the preposterous introduction of the East Dillon Gang District, but I still could have done without him. We spent three seasons learning about the Panthers and I would have prefered more time spent on JD struggling with another crappy mentor or the loss of leadership with Eric's departure rather than Luke (much as I adored him) or Jess' stories. I was rooting for the Lions as hard as Buddy Garrity during the big game, but I can't quite shake my loyalty to the Panthers. Or rather, my interest in them. The entire second half of season three was devoted to the Eric/Wade rivalry and we only saw hints of it last episode. Eric was losing his mind for most of the season and we didn't get to see where it went: why did he lose his voice? why didn't he want to go home during abortiongate? All these plot threads introduced, not to mention things like Stan at the gay bar or Devin's disappearance, and no closure. I don't need each episode packed full of exciting moments and car chases; I just want to know where my characters are coming from so I can understand where they're going.

Also, while the Taylors obstensibly steer the course of each season, I think Tim Riggins might have taken over in season four. I don't know if I've bawled more than the moment he returned his 33 keychain and fell victim to all the traps of the devil town. Jason might have been the golden boy, but Tim was the one I rooted for, even in "The Pilot," when he was a lecherous, racist, drunken mess, I wanted him to achieve "Texas Forever" more than I wanted Jason and Lyla at Notre Dame or Matt to make QB#1. This season we watched him try and fail to escape Dillon, and while most of it was his own fault, I didn't want it for him any less. And now? All he'll ever be is #33. Or rather, the former #33. I'm a naive little dreamer so I hope against hope that season five brings a happy ending to his story, that he gets out and cleans up and builds his ranch and makes peace with Lyla (or reunites with her -- my real FNL dream) and gets it together, but this is Tim Riggins we're talking about. No matter the puppy dog eyes or broken little boy expressions, the chances of him beating the odds are as good as Jess and Landry having a real chance at a
relationship.

I also liked the parallels between Vince and Tim, where they both have the absolute worst odds stacked against them but Vince has the strength of character to get out. Tim's biggest enemy has always been himself while Vince's is the people around him. We've seen the devil town destroy Tim but I believe Vince will push through and make something of himself.

garyc

garyc

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2010 @ 2:05 PM

I'm a naive little dreamer so I hope against hope that season five brings a happy ending to his story, that he gets out and cleans up and builds his ranch and makes peace with Lyla (or reunites with her -- my real FNL dream) and gets it together, but this is Tim Riggins we're talking about. No matter the puppy dog eyes or broken little boy expressions, the chances of him beating the odds are as good as Jess and Landry having a real chance at a
relationship.

What I would like to see the most in season five is a hopeful ending for Tim Riggins.

marnyh

marnyh

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2010 @ 3:06 PM

I guess we're to assume that things worked out with Tami becoming the counselor over at East Dillon, but considering that Luke's mother spearheaded the "get rid of Tami Taylor" campaign, I have a hard time believing she'll keep quiet about Tami now becoming the counselor at Luke's school. Her anger was because she held Tami responsible for the abortion of her "grandchild" and now she's being moved to a position where she would have direct contact with both Luke and Becky, and in a context where it will actually be her job to counsel them? Hmm. It would seem like a less problematic fix if Luke still attended West Dillon.

As much as I adore this show, it really was harmed by the abbreviated season. There was too much stuff I wanted to see more of, and too many characters I wanted fleshed out. I almost wish Seasons 4 and 5 could have been the two halves of a single year. I've avoided spoilers, but I'm assuming that wasn't what was done since this season ended with the end of Dillon's football season. I guess since the show couldn't predict whether they'd be getting a season 5, that would have been really risky, but at least I would have had a chance to care more about Vince and Luke, etc. Another option would have been to cut one of the 16 different times Becky threw herself at Riggins and him saying, "we can't do this."

garyc

garyc

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2010 @ 5:29 PM

Finally, I'll forever love FNL for showing that a good marriage CAN be interesting and realistic on TV, even after four seasons.

Love their arguments.

caitmcg

caitmcg

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2010 @ 10:02 PM

Finally, I'll forever love FNL for showing that a good marriage CAN be interesting and realistic on TV, even after four seasons.

Love their arguments.

I just read this great interview with Chandler and Britton following the wrap of filming the final season, in which they talk about how they centered the portrayal of Eric and Tami's marriage around the arguments. (There are no spoilers for next season in the interview.)

I guess since the show couldn't predict whether they'd be getting a season 5, that would have been really risky

Actually, the renewal after season 3 was for two final seasons, i.e., season 4 and season 5, so they did know going into S4 that there would be a S5, but clearly chose to stick to the one-football-season-per-show-season formula. They really did better with 12 episodes in S3, but just didn't go lean enough this season and couldn't integrate everything, giving short shrift to many introduced stories, as so many posters have enumerated.

For all the issues this season, I still loved it. For all the problems over the various seasons, this show sucks me in and holds me tight. A big part of that is all the things that make it distinctive: the cinematic look of the way it's filmed; the color palette; the real look built into its being filmed in Texas without sound stages; being mostly character-driven vs. plot driven; the willingness to have characters talk over each other in a realistic way; the terrific use of music (i.e., in this episode, the Lucinda Williams and Steve Earle songs over the Thanksgiving practice and plane ride scenes that didn't tell us what we were supposed to be seeing, but so ably reflected what we were seeing); and of course, the mostly stellar, full-of-depth acting.

I wish they'd been able to introduce Luke and Vince in S3, giving us more time with the characters and even more so, more time with Matt Lauria and Michael B. Jordan, who are so terrific and spot-on playing them with complexity. Ah, well. Already looking forward to next season, just because.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2010 @ 1:01 AM

How does Luke go from a season ending injury to playing against the Panthers? This is one time I can say that Eric doesn't seem to have his players best interest at heart.

kccody

kccody

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2010 @ 10:24 AM

BTW, anyone else love that last scene of the Taylors setting up their Christmas decorations? Such a nice scene, especially since we never get to see Christmas on the show due to the way things are set up.

Yes, love any scene with CT, Tami and Gracie Bell. Oh, and Julie a little bit. No matter the stories with Jason, Lyla, Matt, Tim, Vince, Tyra, Landry, etc. the Taylors are the heart and soul of FNL. It had better end well next season....

micki15

micki15

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2010 @ 1:39 PM

I have to admit - I'm with the critics and thoroughly enjoyed S4. I would put it 2nd only behind S1 (which considering it's near perfection IMHO, would be almost impossible to top). Yes, there were some flaws and storylines that seemed a little stretched but I will give them a pass because this show does so much so well. FWIW - I live in a small western city (pop 48,000 - 2 high schools) in a very "red" state, so Dillon, TX has always felt like something I could understand.

Re: the Lions victory: Totally believable in my book as it should be to anyone who is a sports fan. Upsets happen and as the cliche says, that's why they have to play the game. The better team/player on paper doesn't always get the win.

Re: Tami moving to East Dillon. Oh I can see the schoolboard readily agreeing to that to avoid a lawsuit. As far as Luke's mom throwing a hissy - she may well in S5 but the board right now just wants to cut a deal. They can always tell her hey, you wanted Tami T gone as principal - it's done. Mom may still complain but they'll be few that will join her. Most people will see it as, Tami was punished and let's now move on. Fact is - for a good many people who jump up for a "cause", well, their attention span isn't that long. They'll move onto the next news story that captured their attention for the next day or two.

This season did indeed have a somber tone but that seemed to fit. Tim's ending was particularly depressing but again, realistic. I have hopes that somewhere in S5 he'll make an appearance and we'll find him released from prison and building a house on his little piece of Texas. That may not seem a grand dream to some viewers but it is his dream.

I loved most of the new characters introduced this season and look forward to delving into their characters deeper in S5. I particularly loved Vince (big Wire fan here so it was great seeing "Wallace" ) and Luke. Becky worked my last nerve until her last few epsiodes but I have to say, I thought the actress portrayed the character (who could be both annoying and heart wrenching) well. Jess I thought wasn't well developed (and may never be considering her character is on a prime series in the fall so I don't know what she got to film for S5).

I was pleased with the endings for Matt and Julie. I'll miss them (assuming Julie only does a few appearances next season) as I will Tim but look forward to seeing Eric and Tami facing their new challenges. Which leads me to.....

Eric and Tami - best couple EVER! on TV. They are the heart and soul of FNL. I am thrilled the Emmy members FINALLY saw fit to give them a nomination. I know the folks in Hollywood have trouble understanding a show that takes place in Small Town, Texas and DOESN'T make fun of it or resort to stereotypes and actually *gasp* acts like the denizens are worthy of respect! What a concept. Not to get political but I'm a liberal who finds much to admire in the culture where I live and I love a show that shows the same respect.

Anyway - looking forward to S5! GO LIONS!

Doodle00

Doodle00

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 8, 2010 @ 4:28 PM

Just watched this episode today and was disappointed, which was not really surprising, given that I've been disappointed with the entire season. My favorite part was the Landry and Matt interaction, which still brings a smile to my face and was true to original form through the end -- I loved the "he's such a girl" comment when Landry slammed the door in Matt's face. Loved that the last scene was the two of them on a flight to Chicago together.

I also liked that Tami refused to apologize and, as of the end of the season, was going back to guidance counseling duties; she proved everyone's point that she wasn't really qualified to be principal.

Unfortunately, I disliked so much more about the episode. Staying on Landry for a moment, was there a reason that it had to be a 46-yard field goal? There are NFL kickers that miss 46 yard field goals (my own dear Philadelphia Eagles kicker is getting a bit long in the tooth, and he's one of them who has been known to miss some of those in the last couple of years); surely, few high school kids could make it. And Landry -- someone who "played" wide receiver for 2 years, and by played, I mean sat on the bench; and was just moved into the kicker spot this season; and isn't a very talented athlete -- couldn't have kicked a 46-yarder if there were a $5 million check over the posts. Why didn't the writers just make it a 22-yard field goal? Wouldn't that have been just as hard, and far more realistic, for this show? I know people are just glossing over it as totally unrealistic, but there was a way to make it realistic. So why did they go for the ridiculously unrealistic comedic angle here?

Tim's ending was less than satisfying (mostly because it was so predictable), but it works for me. Tim's "you're part of my family now" speech to Becky made up for a lot.

Oh my god, gag me with a spoon. Sorry, I went back to high school there for a minute. This was my least, least, least favorite part of any episode, now even surpassing Tim asking Tyra to take him back at the end of Season 1 when he had shown no interest in her up to that point or after that point. Seriously. Tim has known this girl for like EIGHT WEEKS, tops. He was in college at the beginning of football season and college, like, two months ago. It's now Thanksgiving. So we are supposed to believe that, in the course of these eight weeks, this 15-year-old mosquito has had such a huge impact on him that she's FAMILY now? Oh my god -- that so cheapens the time when Tim used it with Lyla. Totally disgusts me. Becky is the worst part of this "new" show, hands down. And getting her into Tim's story line was a huge mistake. Why does she exist? Why does Tim give a shit about her? These are all questions that TWOPers have asked; and yet, there are no satisfying answers. Perhaps Katims can address this in one of his episode commentaries.

I'm a naive little dreamer so I hope against hope that season five brings a happy ending to his story, that he gets out and cleans up and builds his ranch and makes peace with Lyla (or reunites with her -- my real FNL dream) and gets it together,

Mine too. I know it's not going to happen b/c I've seen the spoilers that Lyla doesn't make a re-appearance in Season 5 and Tyra does (UGH), but I guess my alternative is watching my Seasons 1-3 DVDs over again and just pretending Tim's story line ends at Season 3, as it should have.

Also, Tim -- for Season 5, can you please cut your hair? Liked it much better before it was Rapunzel-length.

BTW, anyone else love that last scene of the Taylors setting up their Christmas decorations? Such a nice scene, especially since we never get to see Christmas on the show due to the way things are set up.

Yes, I did! I totally forgot about that; that also goes on my (short) "like" list. Thought it was very sweet, and was one of the few heart-warming scenes of the episode.

Also, many people have commented about the fact that Billy is a douchebag (not those words, exactly) for letting Tim take the fall for him. I disagree. Without Billy, Tim would be on the streets. Billy raised him from the time he was six years old (according to the last episode), and has been paying the bills and putting food (and beer) on the table since then. Billy worked his ass off to help get Tim into college and out of this life that Billy knew Tim would fall into if he stayed in Dillon. Then Tim throws it all away, comes back, and decides -- of his own accord -- to get involved in the chop shop. So what that it was Billy's idea? He didn't get Tim involved (unlike the copper wire). Now both of them are potentially in trouble, except one of them -- the one who's been "taking it for the team" for the last eight-ten years or so -- has a kid and a family to support. The other one is a lazy-ass loser who has nothing and no one to hang around for anyway. Of course Tim should step up and finally be a man. It's about frickin' time.

itsjfitz

itsjfitz

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2010 @ 4:34 PM

And to see him end up in prison (he's too pretty for prison!!)

This. is almost exactly what I said to myself when he threw himself on the sword. Actually, it was something like "No, Timmy, no, you're too pretty for prison!"

I am curious to see where they will take this--how long will Tim spend in prison? Will they throw the book at him and give him the full 5 years? Will they give him 1 year + probation because he "used to be Tim Riggins"?

I think in a way getting caught when they did was better for "the boys", because I can't imagine how they were going to get out of working for Kennard (sp?). What were they going to say "Well, we've been thinking it over and we decided we don't want to do this anymore, soooo... see ya, thanks for all the money, good luck with everything."? I don't see Kennard letting them off so easily, do you?

Did anyone else wonder about Luke's "threats" to go to St. Pat's? Was he just bluffing to get Coach to play him, or was there really a possibility of him going? I think it was significant that the school in question was (presumably) a Christian school. If it was a legitimate possibility, I would think it would be to take him out of the "negative public school influence" (embodied in his mother's mind by Tami Taylor) rather than to play football. I never got the feeling that his parents were that invested in him playing football. His father wanted him to skip a week of practice to help on the ranch and his mother seemed pretty unhappy with his loyalty to Coach over her in the protest issue. However, I could see a desperate Luke taking advantage of the situation to try to get playing time in the big game with the threat of going to another school who will play him. I wonder if they'll mention this next season or just let it drop. Especially since Tami is now working at the school Luke attends.

I'm satisfied with the Matt and Julie resolution, although in my head, they end up reuniting down the line and live happily ever after. I wish we had a chance to get to know some of the newer characters' backstories, esp. Jess' dad. Hopefully those will be fleshed out in S5.

When does S5 begin for those of us without Directv?

(edited to clarify a point)

Edited by itsjfitz, Aug 8, 2010 @ 4:42 PM.

heisey

heisey

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 8, 2010 @ 8:26 PM

I'm a naive little dreamer so I hope against hope that season five brings a happy ending to his story, that he gets out and cleans up and builds his ranch and makes peace with Lyla (or reunites with her -- my real FNL dream) and gets it together, but this is Tim Riggins we're talking about.

Sad to say, when watching Tim walk into the jail, I was wondering if he was going to lose the ranch because he bought it with the money made from the chop shop. Sometimes part of the punishment for a crime is forfeiting the things you acquired with your ill-gotten gains. I don't know if that would apply in this case, however. Perhaps we'll find out in S5.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2010 @ 9:59 PM

I don't see how Tim could keep that land. Tim further showed his stupidity when after not being able to pay for it, he shows up and pays for everything in cash. That had to set up a dozen red flags there.

Also, many people have commented about the fact that Billy is a douchebag (not those words, exactly) for letting Tim take the fall for him. I disagree. Without Billy, Tim would be on the streets. Billy raised him from the time he was six years old (according to the last episode), and has been paying the bills and putting food (and beer) on the table since then. Billy worked his ass off to help get Tim into college and out of this life that Billy knew Tim would fall into if he stayed in Dillon. Then Tim throws it all away, comes back, and decides -- of his own accord -- to get involved in the chop shop. So what that it was Billy's idea? He didn't get Tim involved (unlike the copper wire). Now both of them are potentially in trouble, except one of them -- the one who's been "taking it for the team" for the last eight-ten years or so -- has a kid and a family to support. The other one is a lazy-ass loser who has nothing and no one to hang around for anyway. Of course Tim should step up and finally be a man. It's about frickin' time.

QFT. Billy helped Tim get his way out...going to college. The worst part is Tim DIDN'T EVEN TRY! As another poster said, he tossed his opportunity on the ground, burned it, and then pissed on it. Billy (although flawed and stupid) sacrificed a lot for Tim and Tim couldn't even give Billy a semester in college. He owed that to Billy at the very least. If he had failed, then he failed.

Billy deserves jail time but so does Tim. Tim chose to take part in the chop shop and is just as guilty. I have never seen someone quite accept his loser/poor status like Tim Riggins. He set the bar low and failed to exceed it.

Edited by benteen, Aug 8, 2010 @ 10:03 PM.

smw104

smw104

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 9, 2010 @ 6:38 AM

I have a question: how does the broadcast of the show work? Is it going to be on Direct TV *and* NBC? I don't have cable, so I've been watching the earlier seasons on DVD. Will I be able to watch S5 on broadcast TV?

I don't want to wait!!

Monty Fresh

Monty Fresh

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 9, 2010 @ 8:15 AM

It will air on DirecTV first, then some months later it will be shown on NBC. You will be able to watch it, fear not!

tvqtpie

tvqtpie

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 9, 2010 @ 12:17 PM

Staying on Landry for a moment, was there a reason that it had to be a 46-yard field goal? There are NFL kickers that miss 46 yard field goals

As a clarification, there is a big difference between kicking at the different levels. I don't know what the distances are specifically, but in the easier levels (NCAA, high school) the goal posts are wider and where the ball is placed (at the hash marks) makes for a better angle in high school as opposed to college or the pros. Not to mention that you can kick off of a tee in high school and you can't in the pros. I think the kicking shot showed the tee. So Landry lucking out and hitting that field goal at that angle is much easier than an NFL kicker doing the same thing using NFL hash marks, NFL goal post widths, and a QB positioning the ball.

Edited by tvqtpie, Aug 9, 2010 @ 12:31 PM.

Texas Sweet

Texas Sweet

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 9, 2010 @ 3:39 PM

And stayin' on Landry aka Jesse Plemons for one more second. . . Did anyone see Jesse play tag football yesterday on NBC for the release of Madden's newest video game. He was playing with celebrities and Pro football guys like Joe Montana, Kurt Warner, Jerry Rice, Marcus Allen and his coach was T.O. I was just flippin' though seeing what was on TV. And there he was playing Quarterback!! And guess what he was Awesome. Runnin'. . .Scrambin'. . .makein' Plays. I was soo Proud. He really can play football quite well. I was impress not only with his football chops but his acting chops too. Cuz, for the last 4 years we've been lead to believe that his athletic skills were pretty much nonexistence on the Football Field. . .when in fact he's an Awesome Athlete.

I gotta tell ya it felt so Great to cheer for Jesse/Landry one last time. Yep, Sooo Great. Go Loins!!!!

celticann

celticann

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2010 @ 8:05 PM

Eric and Tami - best couple EVER! on TV.

Although my Jed/Abbey heart disagrees with the EVER!, I agree that Eric and Tami are an uplifting example of what marriage is really about.

Did anyone else wonder about Luke's "threats" to go to St. Pat's? Was he just bluffing to get Coach to play him, or was there really a possibility of him going? I think it was significant that the school in question was (presumably) a Christian school.

Actually, I would assume that "St. Pat's" is a Catholic school (or at least an Episcopalian one). And to a lot of fundmental folk, neither of those religions is considered Christian. (Cue the irony subtitles).

And stayin' on Landry aka Jesse Plemons for one more second. . . Did anyone see Jesse play tag football yesterday on NBC for the release of Madden's newest video game.

Jesse did the show proud.

mjforty

mjforty

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2010 @ 4:10 PM

is almost exactly what I said to myself when he threw himself on the sword.

I don't see that Tim Riggins threw himself on any kind of sword. That implies that he went to jail instead of his brother. As if Tim Riggins were innocent and he took the rap so Billy could stay out of jail. But Tim Riggins was going to jail, regardless. So, he saw a way to keep Billy out of jail. It was a nice thing to do but it wasn't self-sacrificial. Hell, if I was going to jail anyway and I saw a way to keep my sister out of jail, I'd do it and I'm hardly noble. Although, it would be nice to have someone in jail you could trust and gossip about the other inmates with, I guess.

WhatDoYouKnow

WhatDoYouKnow

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2010 @ 4:28 PM

Although, it would be nice to have someone in jail you could trust and gossip about the other inmates with, I guess.

Oh my gosh, can you imagine the amount of trouble Tim and Billy would get into in prison together? Billy'd probably convince Tim to attempt an escape.

Tim is probably better on his own.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2010 @ 5:46 PM

It's self-sacrificial if Tim is going to serve more time for covering up for Billy. But there's no indication that's the case.

Billy'd probably convince Tim to attempt an escape.

LOL! That's EXACTLY what would happen and Tim would do it.

I have to admit, I'd love to see that show. Prison Break: Texas Forever!

garyc

garyc

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 11, 2010 @ 5:58 AM

Billy deserves jail time but so does Tim. Tim chose to take part in the chop shop and is just as guilty. I have never seen someone quite accept his loser/poor status like Tim Riggins. He set the bar low and failed to exceed it.

I see Tim (and to some extent Billy) as someone who grew up without learning self-discipline and how to work consistently for what he wants. Goes back to his parent's cutting out on him. (What was Eric's comment about the parents really screwing up the Riggins boys.) Makes Tim mostly sad to me, that despite having some obvious strengths he keeps finding a way to screw up his own life. And quite often seems genuinely bewildered about how he got into the latest mess.

Lack of resources (money, etc.) doesn't help either.

Doodle00

Doodle00

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 11, 2010 @ 10:03 AM

I don't see that Tim Riggins threw himself on any kind of sword. That implies that he went to jail instead of his brother. As if Tim Riggins were innocent and he took the rap so Billy could stay out of jail. But Tim Riggins was going to jail, regardless.

This. Absolutely. I really don't get the Tim Riggins-as-a-hero angle in this storyline. Tim got involved in criminal activities -- willingly -- that his brother tried to keep him out of. He got involved in criminal activities so that he could get a quick score ("you'll make more money in 2 months than you could make in 2 years") to buy his land without putting in the time (ironic, eh?) that it would take to come by it honestly. So he gets caught and decides that, instead of both of them taking the fall, he'll go it alone. Not that admirable, given their differing situations. Billy has a wife and newborn baby, and Tim has nothing on the outside. Moreover, Billy has taken care of Tim all his life, and has done so willingly and without (much) complaining. It's about time that Tim steps up and does something right. I definitely don't view this as some kind of grand gesture, more like much deserved payback for all that Billy has done for Tim.

Sad to say, when watching Tim walk into the jail, I was wondering if he was going to lose the ranch because he bought it with the money made from the chop shop. Sometimes part of the punishment for a crime is forfeiting the things you acquired with your ill-gotten gains.

He absolutely should lose that land. (As an aside, under federal criminal statutes, at least -- so I assume the same would apply under Texas law -- if they could trace the purchase back to the crime (not that hard to do in Tim's case) -- the land would be confiscated.)

So Landry lucking out and hitting that field goal at that angle is much easier than an NFL kicker doing the same thing using NFL hash marks, NFL goal post widths, and a QB positioning the ball.

OK, but nevertheless, still very unrealistic in my view. In the third season, the Panthers lost State on a 19-yard field goal kicked by the winning team. Why couldn't it have been something similar to this?

Edited by Doodle00, Aug 11, 2010 @ 10:08 AM.

katnap

katnap

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 12, 2010 @ 4:28 PM

I'm bothered by the fact that there was no idication that Becky had any idea what was going on with Tami. I can see Tim not going out of his way to apologize for getting Mrs. Coach involved in a situation that caused her so much trouble since he's facing prison. But Becky, as annoying as she is, is depicted as a caring person. I have a hard time believing she wouldn't feel tremendously guilty about the mess that Tami's in, and in a town the size of Dillon I can't believe she doesn't know about it. I could see a scene in which Becky wants to step forward to get Tami out of trouble, and Cheryl talks her out of it. But for Becky not to care - don't buy it.

Also, nitpick - in Season One the Taylors had just moved to Dillon, and Eric had done lots of driving to work with Jason. Doesn't make sense that Coach and Tami's wink-wink first date was at that lake.

Edited by katnap, Aug 12, 2010 @ 4:37 PM.

Doodle00

Doodle00

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 13, 2010 @ 6:33 AM

Also, nitpick - in Season One the Taylors had just moved to Dillon, and Eric had done lots of driving to work with Jason. Doesn't make sense that Coach and Tami's wink-wink first date was at that lake.

Although their backstory has been all sorts of mess, it was stated in the pilot that he had been promoted from assistant coach to head coach at Dillon, and had been there for between a few and several years (depending on which episode you listen to), so they hadn't just moved there. Also, in the last episode of Season 2 it was stated that they both attended Dillon High (Eric and Pete Berg's character competed for Tami's affections there).

zmulls

zmulls

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 13, 2010 @ 10:35 AM

Very disappointed in S4, though there were high points. I didn't think it was downright bad, like S2, but I was sad there were so many lost, or fumbled, opportunities.

As always, the Taylors were the saving grace of the show, and always worth watching.

Several more thoughts:

Remember that scene where Joe McCoy comes into Tami’s office, chagrined and changed because he’s losing his wife, and he realizes his son is an uncontrollable, entitled asshole? Well, the writers didn’t remember it either.

Was Joe McCoy in any shots with other people? It looked like they suited him up, spent five minutes shooting him giving different facial expressions, and sent him home. No lines means they don’t have to pay him as much.

Same with J.D. Shoot him at the rally, no lines. Did we see his face during the game? I don’t remember seeing it. Another money-saver, but we didn’t get to see him get his comeuppance.

No mention of who tore up the Lions’ field. Would have been nice to see J.D. get arrested and share a cell with Riggins.

Matt’s first exit, burying his father and escaping to Chicago, was excellent. Shutting his Dillon life out and down made perfect sense. Sad, but human.

Matt’s second exit, reconciling with Julie and Landry – so very boring.

Julie’s entire plotline was a time-and-energy sucker this season.

Becky had two entirely different plotlines (Tim’s new Tyra, and the Luke-and-Tami abortion plot). She was an entirely contrived character from the get-go, to fill those slots. And yet we needed to see her on the final episode to get under Riggins' skin (while still not discussing the abortion vis-a-vis Tami's situation).

Matt’s mom not home with him for Thanksgiving. Tyra not home with her sister’s baby. Lyla not home either (OK, probably with her Mom, but still…)

Fantastic new character introduced in first couple episodes – Stan, the sentence-repeating, Sears-working, secretly gay assistant coach. Totally disappeared the second half of the season.

All that trouble to bring back one of the Panthers coaches to assist Coach Taylor, and he had practically no lines this entire season, let alone a plot strand to hold onto.

Merriweather, interesting character, potentially interesting backstory, great actor, what the hell happened to him?

First couple of episodes, Tim Riggins shows up on the field to help CT coach Defense. During the season, maybe saw him there twice. Another opportunity blown.

Yet another Landry plot where the cool girl tosses over the good-hearted but nerdy guy for the hot stud with the tortured soul.

Vince is threatened by the not-dead carjacking thug. We never see him again, and he’s never tied into the Riggins side of the crime.

Stupid chop-shop plot. Stupid mad artist plot. Half-hearted “bad side of town” plot, with the convenient “guy who used to be in a gang but now wants to clean up the park” character who dropped in for one (1) episode.

And here’s Tim Riggins, who was made the star of S4 (moreso than the Taylors), going to prison for “one to five years.” I haven’t read a single spoiler, but my money says he gets a one-year sentence and serves 8-9 months, putting him back in Dillon at the start of football season.

Looking forward to season five, nonetheless.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Aug 13, 2010 @ 4:22 PM

Same with J.D. Shoot him at the rally, no lines. Did we see his face during the game? I don’t remember seeing it. Another money-saver, but we didn’t get to see him get his comeuppance.

No mention of who tore up the Lions’ field. Would have been nice to see J.D. get arrested and share a cell with Riggins.

One the first point, I agree. JD disappeared as a character the last couple of episodes and we should have gotten at least a reaction shot. I think we were owed this.

One the second point, of course JD wasn't going to go in jail. The sheriff wasn't going to arrest the Panthers star quarterback. That's the reason for the poor investigating of the trashing of the Lions field.

The Taylors were more the stars of Season 4 than Tim.

garyc

garyc

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 13, 2010 @ 10:55 PM

The Taylors were more the stars of Season 4 than Tim.

He ran them a strong second then. I saw Season 4 first; and then found the DVD's of earlier seasons. (Have watched 1 and 2). Tim's much more sympathetic in Season 4 than in either of the first two seasons. He's still immature at times. And yes he participated in the chop shop, but I think I remember him being reluctant and trying to talk Billy out of it first. And he treated Becky almost like the sister he never had. Why I did believe his telling her she was family.

Doodle00

Doodle00

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 14, 2010 @ 11:41 AM

Tim's much more sympathetic in Season 4 than in either of the first two seasons.

Wow, clearly a case of mileages varying (or watching different shows altogether!). In the first three seasons I found Tim to be incredibly sympathetic, a lost kid looking for someone to love -- not just to party or sleep with -- him. I thought he showed beautiful character growth in those three seasons, from immature and lost party guy to strong and loyal friend, boyfriend, man. In this fourth season I felt that he experienced major regression in almost every area, except (misguided) loyalty, I suppose. To me, this Tim was the most similar to Season 1 Tim where we first met him, drunk/ hungover lying on the couch, skipping school, totally shiftless, with a slutty blond draped over him. That's Tim this whole season, plus criminal activity. I couldn't be any less sympathetic to him now; and it actually surprises me that the guy I couldn't get enough of in the first three seasons I now wish had been written off at the end of season 3.

Edited by Doodle00, Aug 14, 2010 @ 11:42 AM.

Libra10

Libra10

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 14, 2010 @ 5:19 PM

zmulls, I just want to address some of the points you raised:

Season 4 was the first season that the writers knew they were going to have another season to work with
(Season 5 was already locked in). So there's really no reason that they had to tie up ALL of the loose ends
at the end of Season 4. Storylines set in motion in Season 4, could be completed in Season 5 if they
wanted to. Characters introduced in Season 4, could be fleshed out in Season 5. I've no idea what's
going to happen in Season 5, but maybe we'll get to learn more about Big Merri (Jess's father, owner of
Ray's Barbeque). Maybe we'll learn more about Stan, the gay Assistant Coach (maybe he'll have a whole
storyline!). Also, I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Kennard (the head carjacker thug) who threatened
Vince. The point is, just because we didn't see too much of these characters in Season 4, it doesn't mean
that they won't be revisited in Season 5.

And as for certain characters being MIA in Season 4 -- well, I think it just boils down to actor availability.
When an actor is no longer a "regular", the actor is free to get other work. This is sort of risky for FNL
because when they want to use that actor in a scene, the actor may not be available. That's what
happened with Tyra in Season 4. It would have been great to have her show up at the hospital when
Mindy had her baby, or to show up at the Taylors' house for Thanksgiving, or to show up and meet with
Landry by the side of the road that night. But we didn't see Tyra at all in Season 4 because Adrianne
Palicki was busy making movies. It also would have been great to see Matt's mom at the Taylors' house
for Thanksgiving. But since Kim Dickens was also a regular on the HBO show "Treme", that might have had
something to do with why we didn't see her. Also, we didn't see J.D. McCoy much in Season 4 in general,
and we didn't see him too much in the finale either. Again, it might just have to do with Jeremy Sumpter's
availability. The point is, FNL has to make do with what -- and who -- they have.

I know Season 4 wasn't perfect. But considering all that FNL attempted to do, and all that they
accomplished, I think it was pretty amazing.

garyc

garyc

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 15, 2010 @ 8:15 AM

I thought he showed beautiful character growth in those three seasons, from immature and lost party guy to strong and loyal friend, boyfriend, man. In this fourth season I felt that he experienced major regression in almost every area, except (misguided) loyalty, I suppose. To me, this Tim was the most similar to Season 1 Tim where we first met him, drunk/ hungover lying on the couch, skipping school, totally shiftless, with a slutty blond draped over him.

I've yet to more than the first episode of season 3. Don't remember too much growth in seasons 1 and 2, beyond going from not visiting Jason in the hospital while sleeping with Jason's girlfriend to accompanying him to Mexico and talking him out of a risky procedure. He was still an unreliable teammate (drinking before practices; taking depressed Matt with him no less) whose relationships, according to Lya, lasted 20 minutes.

Felt like in season 4 he started to grope his way toward answering Lyla's question of what else did he want; a piece of land, and to make something of Riggins Rigs. Admit he went about getting the money in an illadvised way.

Also think in seaons 1 or 2 he definitely would have ended up in a 20 minute sexual relationship with Becky.

Edited by garyc, Aug 15, 2010 @ 6:35 PM.