S7 - Emilio Sosa: Washered Up

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

63 replies to this topic

raisinthesun

raisinthesun

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 7, 2010 @ 8:48 PM

I couldn't find a thread for him so I thought I would start one now. If one already exists and I just over looked it, please just delete this one.

Ok so has anyone noticed that Emilio seems to be getting a little snippy lately? I don't know whats gotten into him lately but it seemed like everytime the camera was on him he was bad mouthing this person or that person. And what makes it worse is did you see the fug he sent down the runway this week? Ugh, I can only hope his model was pregnant. That "dress" he made for her was so plain and boring and the empire waste made her looked knocked up. If you guys get a chance check out Tim Gunn's video blog for this past episode; even Tim mentions Emilio's snotty behavior.

I have noticed that in past episodes the only designer he seemed to be friends with was Jesus (I guess because they both spoke Spanish...?)but no one else really. Also did you guys notice he picked up Jesus's old model, Brittany? Obviously he wanted Holly but still I wonder if he picked her out of some sort of promise he made to Jesus? Just a guess.

Edited by raisinthesun, Feb 7, 2010 @ 8:51 PM.

duandsku

duandsku

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2010 @ 3:44 PM

Emilio is, as seen by the lack of thread title until now (long after everyone else has had one), apparently the least popular designer left standing. He seems anonymous and unlikable on the show, as far as I can tell. He pulled a win out of left field out of the gate, but overall doesn't seem to be a very strong designer. And Tim really dislikes him, which I think hasmore to do with his attitude the rest of the season.

He must do something really jerky to Tim by the end. Tim has mentioned that designers throw him under the bus to the judges and complain about him to Nina and Michael. If Tim despises Emilio so much, I wonder if he could be the main offender. I was thinking Ping would be the offender, but she turned out to be a total doll on the runway.

Reia

Reia

Couch Potato

• Interests:Watching glorious dancing, reading feminist literature, Nerding out over Game of Thrones

Posted Feb 9, 2010 @ 7:52 PM

duandsku has Tim mentioned on his blog/podcast that he dislikes Emilio? I never got the feeling he had that negative of a reaction to him just from watching the show. I thought Emilio was going to be a favorite after first episode, but he does seem to have faded into the background. He's made a few snarky comments at this point, but nothing to make me dislike him to the extent that I now loathe Jesse.

raisinthesun

raisinthesun

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 9, 2010 @ 8:37 PM

duandsku has Tim mentioned on his blog/podcast that he dislikes Emilio? I never got the feeling he had that negative of a reaction to him just from watching the show. I thought Emilio was going to be a favorite after first episode, but he does seem to have faded into the background. He's made a few snarky comments at this point, but nothing to make me dislike him to the extent that I now loathe Jesse.

Well I've never heard Tim actually come out and say "I hate Emilio" but in his video blog for episode 4 he talks about his distaste for Emilio's foul behavior. I know it doesnt really show on tv but thats why I enjoy watching the extended videos and video blogs, you kinda get a behind-the-scenes look at some stuff and sometimes (sometimes) you can get some juicy gossip.

I havent heard anything about the other designer's throwing Emilio under the bus or anything like that but yeah Tim is pretty quick to point out snotty behavior.

Edited by raisinthesun, Feb 9, 2010 @ 8:39 PM.

circlesquare

circlesquare

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 13, 2010 @ 12:33 AM

Emilio hasn't struck me as all that snotty, though maybe I'm thrown off because his tone isn't particularly bitchy. I might also be ignoring what he's saying because I find him super sexy. Yikes! I thought it was cute how he hugged Anthony on the runway after Anthony won the challenge.

fashionkills

fashionkills

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2010 @ 11:05 PM

Emilio hasn't struck me as all that snotty, though maybe I'm thrown off because his tone isn't particularly bitchy. I might also be ignoring what he's saying because I find him super sexy. Yikes! I thought it was cute how he hugged Anthony on the runway after Anthony won the challenge.

I find him annoying beyond belief. He hardly has positive words to say about any of designs in the workroom, and when he bitches about them, it's not even funny. Plus, he has an almost-lisp!

Furthermore, I really hate his designs. They are fine if all you think about is pretty-pretty, but what else is there! I call shame on him saying that Mila is a one-trick wonder with her 'colour-blocking', when the first thing he thinks about is 'cocktail dress'. Boring.

ladongas

ladongas

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 4:23 PM

I initially liked Emilio and his designs, and I could forgive him for his string bikini- but not for the way he treated his model. Fitted a very risque garment on her, sent her out to strut and sell it, and then- he drops her! How insensitive...

Edited by ladongas, Mar 9, 2010 @ 4:24 PM.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2010 @ 11:09 AM

I initially liked Emilio and his designs, and I could forgive him for his string bikini- but not for the way he treated his model. Fitted a very risque garment on her, sent her out to strut and sell it, and then- he drops her! How insensitive...

I thought his excuse for letting his model go was bogus. Simply to let someone else have a chance to work with her? Really Emilio, really?

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2010 @ 12:01 PM

At least he gave her a good reference when he switched. He didn't even think twice about dumping Monique this week.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2010 @ 6:03 PM

Emilio is just not that good. I think he talks a good game and the judges have fallen for it.

For me, the dress this week with the egoist name all over it was dreadful.

Poor Maya. She's always over looked -- and for this dreck.

jetty

jetty

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2010 @ 7:45 PM

I didn't have a real problem with the print, my major problem with the dress was that triangle of black fabric at the neckline. It just looked so disruptive against the main fabric. But the judges loved it, so I guess I'm wrong.

duandsku

duandsku

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2010 @ 9:29 PM

I think Emilio expressed his hidden desires with his print pattern. I mean, one challenge after he won working with Seth Aaron, he creates a pattern that causes him to write over and over and over:

"ES <3 SA ES <3 SA"

Emilio Sosa loves Seth Aaron.

Especially since SA has already been established as Seth Aaron's brand, and ES clearly stands for Emilio Sosa. Plus the heart does not look like an "o" at all.

I find it hilarious. Emilio has a crush.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2010 @ 1:28 PM

Especially since SA has already been established as Seth Aaron's brand, and ES clearly stands for Emilio Sosa. Plus the heart does not look like an "o" at all.

I don't know what possesed this grown man to replace the O is sosa with a heart. If he left it 'esosa' it would be a little less distracting than having hearts appear in the fabric. It really looks like something a 14-year-old girl with a crush would do. Which brings me to this:

I think Emilio expressed his hidden desires with his print pattern. I mean, one challenge after he won working with Seth Aaron, he creates a pattern that causes him to write over and over and over

How cute was that? Now I'll be the first to admit that S.A. is a cutie pie so don't worry Emilio, I know how you feel!

coffeygrl

coffeygrl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 30, 2010 @ 11:21 AM

I totally agree about the whole replacing the o with a heart was stupid. The length of this dress was also horrible. A skirt that hits right at the knee like that is flattering on no one. Also, that collar on the dress was straight out of some sci/fi series. I'm pretty sure I saw that same thing on the original Star Trek series. How did this dress win?

Benji

Benji

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2010 @ 12:24 PM

He is my least favorite contestant of all time. So critical of others, so unreflective when it comes to himself. How could he call his print "smart"?! It made no sense. And no one gets away with disregarding Tim in my book. Dude, you made a bikini out of washers and string, which was easily THE worst Project Runway finished product of all time!

OrdinaryPeople

OrdinaryPeople

Posted Apr 2, 2010 @ 10:12 PM

Another win for Emilio. He's practically guaranteed a spot in Fashion Week. I have seen a lot worst personalities than Emilo that has come through Project Runway.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2010 @ 2:52 PM

Another win for Emilio. He's practically guaranteed a spot in Fashion Week. I have seen a lot worst personalities than Emilo that has come through Project Runway.

I agree. I guess every season needs a villian and it's really a toss up between him and Mila. But yeah both are pretty much lightweights compared to some of the foulness of past seasons. Put him side by side to Wendy Pepper, Santino, Jeffery, or even that loon Vincent and he really doesn't compare. But hey that's a good thing, right? Heck even Meana Irina was a more believable villian than he.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2010 @ 5:44 PM

I blow hot and cold on Emilio, though averaging out on the chilly side on the personal side. As for his designs, his construction is generally excellent, but I often find his taste questionable (the washer no-kini comes to mind). Still, I have no quarrel with his win this week. His first decision was his best decision - the fabric. Now, it could have gone very badly if he'd used the fabric in a tacky way, but he didn't. And his second decision - to structure things firmly and properly underneath the fabric - was probably what nailed the win. Add Heidi's acknowledgment that inserting the zipper as he wished to do it would be 'hard... but good', the way his model worked it, and the fact that it was one of only a few dresses with 'red carpet' blazing off them, and he had that win.

I think he's Bryant Park bound, but his taste level could betray him nexy week.

fashionkills

fashionkills

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2010 @ 1:17 AM

He is my least favorite contestant of all time. So critical of others, so unreflective when it comes to himself. How could he call his print "smart"?! It made no sense. And no one gets away with disregarding Tim in my book. Dude, you made a bikini out of washers and string, which was easily THE worst Project Runway finished product of all time!

I completely agree. He is just so unlikeable. Also, I'm not sure why no one has mentioned that the print is a total ripoff. I mean, come on! Does Stephen Sprouse ring a bell to you, Emilio! Geez!

lemur27

lemur27

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2010 @ 2:43 PM

I agree. I guess every season needs a villian and it's really a toss up between him and Mila. But yeah both are pretty much lightweights compared to some of the foulness of past seasons. Put him side by side to Wendy Pepper, Santino, Jeffery, or even that loon Vincent and he really doesn't compare. But hey that's a good thing, right? Heck even Meana Irina was a more believable villian than he.

I agree that Emilio's not a villain, cause villains are fun to watch. Wendy's 'tude led to some great showdowns. Santino was hilarious. Jeffrey veered from fun to callous. Vincent was insane. Kenley, you loved to hate. But there is nothing dramatically satisfying about watching Emilio. He's just humorless, defensive and smug.

I loved some of the things he's made - the first purple dress and the circus dress were gorgeous. But his other winning looks have kind of passed me by and I hated his mother/daughter outfits, his washer bikini and his ES♥SA dress. I kind of feel disappointed because in other seasons, while I've disagreed with the judges on occasion, when they consistently raved about someone - Kara Saun, Danny V, Christian - I could always see it. I got it. With Emilio, not so much. It's just so boring to see him winning for stuff that is perfectly decent - the Harlem dress, the red carpet dress - but not exactly innovative or, to borrow a Tim phrase, soul-stirring.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2010 @ 5:28 PM

I hate the fist pump. I'm so over it, but I'm sure we'll be seeing more of it.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2010 @ 7:01 PM

When he loosens up, shows real warmth, even very occasional moments of giddiness - as with Seth Aaron this week - I find him very likeable. The rest of the time I take him as someone who is very serious about what he's doing and very focused and maybe not a lot of fun to hang out with.

I veer back and forth on his work. Sometimes - this week, last week - I totally get him and think he's awesome. Other times - the washer bikini, particularly - I question his taste. And I give him props for naming Mila as one of the two he thought should be competing with him in Fashion Week. I doubt that he likes her as much as he does Anthony, but for him it was all about strengths and he saw her strengths as something he wanted to try himself against.

tisha

tisha

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2010 @ 8:58 AM

I just discovered that Emilio's ESOSA thing he uses in the finale and the invent a print episode has some history: he designed hoodies with ESOSA as part of them. He also says it's not merely self-referential, but that it stands for "Every Success Overcomes Some Adversity." I don't know when this article is from, but I'm guessing it's around 2006.

nelblu

nelblu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2010 @ 1:57 PM

I have to say that I've been a big fan of Emilio's throughout this season. I really like his designs and his street-smart-meets-upscale-sophistication kind of style - it's not as immediately identifiable as some of the other designers' signatures, but I think it's there, and I think it's what the judges have been responding to. I don't have an issue with his attitude at all - I think he's approached the competition very sensibly, with a lot of drive and focus. He's been a bit cocky in the confessionals, but he hasn't been mean or spiteful and he's hasn't talked trash about anyone - as far as I can tell he's been friendly, if not effusive, toward all the other designers. His comments on the other designers' work have been no worse than anyone else's, and they all seem to like him just fine. I'm really not sure where the problems with Tim stem from, but to me it seems mainly like a case of two creative types who have different aesthetics and different creative processes and would be destined to be arguing a lot if they had to work together. And there's nothing wrong with that, unless it becomes personal. My sense is that Tim is taking their clash somewhat personally, while Emilio is not.

I was disappointed with his final collection (I looked at the pics) because based on what he came up with for the challenges during the season I was expecting something a lot more exciting. The more I look at the pics though, the more I'm getting it and liking it as as collection - his color combinations are unusual but they've grown on me, and I really like the Esosa print he made, which creates the effect of almost an optical illusion. I think his looks are about small and subtle details (which is what Tim was concerned about), rather than eye-popping and show-stopping moments. Unfortunately the latter is what the PR winning collections are usually about, so I doubt he's going to win.

Edited by nelblu, Apr 21, 2010 @ 2:14 PM.

lemur27

lemur27

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 22, 2010 @ 2:29 PM

I have to say that HuffPo's interview with the three finalists humanised Emilio for me a lot. On the show he came across (to me at least) as unpleasant, humourless and horribly defensive. But as he mentioned in the interview, they were under a lot of stress (and in a lot of heat!) which made him "angry." He also admitted he can't really bring himself to watch the show. Possibly he's aware that he came off on the show as a much less likable person than he is in real life. (Then again, you'd think he'd have mellowed by the time the home visit came around ...)

There's a bit of discussion on the Tim thread about whether or not Emilio can defend himself against Tim's complaints. I'm gonna assume that while the contestants are gagged when it comes to the finale, they're free to talk about any other aspect of the show. What's interesting to me is that Emilio is choosing to downplay the clashes with Tim - telling HuffPo there's no truth to the rumours of mutual dislike. He went so far as to say in another interview (forget where) that Tim is one of the nicest people he's ever met (which I just did not quite believe - there's never any evidence of warmth between them, and while Tim may be nice, he's not especially so to Emilio!). I wonder if Emilio has been surprised at how viewers have reacted to him, especially in relation to Tim, and is just trying to keep his head down and wait for it to blow over. If that's the case, I can definitely empathise.

Edited by lemur27, Apr 22, 2010 @ 2:30 PM.

WedgeOfSpite

WedgeOfSpite

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2010 @ 1:58 AM

I wonder if Emilio has been surprised at how viewers have reacted to him, especially in relation to Tim, and is just trying to keep his head down and wait for it to blow over. If that's the case, I can definitely empathise.

I think that Emilio is realizing he looked like an egotistical jackass to a lot of the millions of people watching the show, and to the press/blogs reporting on the show. Some of the press now ask him about it. So now he's doing damage control. I mean in that interview doesn't he also say that he didn't know that Mila and Jay didn't get along? When we all saw him on TV bragging about how he knew they hated each other, and was counting on it.

I think that Emilio is smart enough to realize that he is now going back to his real career and part of that is trying to sell himself and his line. I think about what kind of backlash that Jay has gotten for the stupid things he's said in the press and as part of the reunion show, and those things can impact if not his career professionally, they will negatively effect the kind of post-PR press and opportunities he could have otherwise have gotten. I think Emilio realizes that and is now playing that game. Just like when he was on the show, he was committed to playing the game there.

coffeygrl

coffeygrl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2010 @ 4:58 PM

I wasn't fond of Emilio during the show. I felt his ego was inflated and it annoyed me. However, seeing how he took loosing, I felt sorry for him. He is a good designer, so I think he'll be okay.

nelblu

nelblu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 12:28 AM

I think that Emilio is realizing he looked like an egotistical jackass to a lot of the millions of people watching the show, and to the press/blogs reporting on the show. Some of the press now ask him about it. So now he's doing damage control.

I kind of doubt he cares, actually. I remember him saying in an interview that he knew going into the show that it was a reality show and a competition, and he was fine with however the producers wanted to edit him. He's incurred a lot of scorn from some, but he's also had a lot of supporters, so I suspect he's OK with how he was portrayed. I think he really did his stint on the show his way, for better or for worse, and he probably has few regrets about that.

Edited by nelblu, May 3, 2010 @ 2:41 AM.

JediDVguy

JediDVguy

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2010 @ 3:12 PM

The fact that Emilio made it all the way to the final two only to be eliminated was utterly delightful. It almost made up for the undeserved auf'ing of exponentially-more-talented designers like Jonathan, Ben, and Amy.

What a nasty little man.

Edited by JediDVguy, May 3, 2010 @ 3:15 PM.

WedgeOfSpite

WedgeOfSpite

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2010 @ 11:32 PM

The fact that Emilio made it all the way to the final two only to be eliminated was utterly delightful. It almost made up for the undeserved auf'ing of exponentially-more-talented designers like Jonathan, Ben, and Amy.

What a nasty little man.

I am torn. On the one hand Emilio really did act like an arrogant jackass throughout most of the season. Watching again his gloating during the beginning of the Big Top challenge, is so gross. Talk about an ungracious winner. And while Emilio deserved to win for some challenges, he didn't for the neighborhoods or print one, so it was doubly annoying watching him gloat about all his wins. So watching him get to the end and lose and for a terrible collection at that, is very satisfying to me. But on the other hand, he looked so crushed that I can't enjoy that, and it's painful to watch.

I think the reason his collection was so far off the mark, and his being so crushed on his (rightly) losing, are both rooted in letting himself believe all his own hype. He was clearly arrogant and seeemed to believe that the judges would love anything he did, so perhaps he wasn't as thoughtful with his final collection, as he should have been because of that. So in classic Greek style, his hubris which was what made him so obnoxious, may have ultimately led to his losing.

I kind of doubt he cares, actually. I remember him saying in an interview that he knew going into the show that it was a reality show and a competition, and he was fine with however the producers wanted to edit him. He's incurred a lot of scorn from some, but he's also had a lot of supporters, so I suspect he's OK with how he was portrayed.

The man is talking about creating a brand, the ESosa brand, and that it will be worldwide. If he wants to brand, I'm sure he'll want that to be as positive as possible. And considering he is talking about putting his name over things, people will have to want to buy stuff with his name all over it, and if less people want to buy that, because they don't have postive conotations with that, than that's non-optimal. So after the show, as the non-winner and having to now work harder for than he probably anticpated, I think he's wisely trying to recraft his image from the show as he goes forward in trying to sell himself. Which I think is very smart of him.

Edited by WedgeOfSpite, May 3, 2010 @ 11:38 PM.