3-1: "A Risque Runway" 2010.02.03

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

67 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Feb 3, 2010 @ 11:09 AM

From Bravo:

The twelve stylists arrive in Los Angeles where they will compete for $100,000 and an apprenticeship furnished by Nexxus, as well as a chance to style hair for an Allure magazine photo shoot. They meet new host Camila Alves and this season’s panel of judges – celebrity stylist Jonathan Antin (star of Bravo’s “Blow Out”) and renowned stylist Kim Vo. In their first shortcut challenge, the stylists must give unruly punk rockers a more polished look, with the brash Antin as their first guest judge. The competition gets even more edgy during the elimination challenge when the contestants collaborate with a hot Hollywood swimwear companyto create sophisticated styles for a risqué fashion show. Monica Wise, lead designer for L*Space Swimwear, joins as a guest judge.

mezzomom

mezzomom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 3, 2010 @ 11:06 PM

Camila Alves, you are no Jaclyn Smith. Padma Lite at best.

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2010 @ 11:08 PM

Good first episode. There are a lot of talented, experienced stylists on this show. I guess I'll cheer for Faatemah since she's on the home team but she does seem rather arrogant so far. The Simi Valley girl w/the yellow hair and Minnie Mouse bow really bugs me. The roller skates and swim suit?? Exhibitionism for the camera. Just wearing roller skates during the competition was just showing off. I'm glad Janine won. But her outfits--does she really want to look like a 1980s administrative assistant?

I thought Adee should have gone home for doing absolutely nothing with the hair bikini, just used an extension. At least the guy who went home actually did something.

Anyhow I'm looking forward to the season!

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Feb 3, 2010 @ 11:10 PM

What is Sammy Hagar doing on this show?

And why is Vyxsin from TAR still famewhoring around?

I miss Rene.

Edited by Nutjob, Feb 3, 2010 @ 11:13 PM.

Joan21

Joan21

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 3, 2010 @ 11:13 PM

What a crazy show - I turned it on in the middle of the ep when the stylists were standing around to hear about the EC and I totally thought part of the challenge had to do with each stylist wearing a kooky costume and then having to design a hairstyle inspired by it. I'm still in shock that those were these people's regular clothes - the lady with the huge bow? The other lady with a tie-dyed shirt and Pocahantas braids? WTF?

Also - Project Runway must be giving me a very unrealistic view of the female body because all the swimsuit models looked so unusually heavy to me, but of course they all had perfectly healthy, normal bodies.

Miss Mia

Miss Mia

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 3, 2010 @ 11:15 PM

Ugh. Camilla,,,Carmella,,,Carmex,,,whatever her name is - Do. Not. Like. Maybe if she got had more collagen in her lips she'd be understandable. Or not.

It also seems they're going for the drama. They keep tantrum boy over the sweet little Aussie, and topless models on the very first show of the season? Please.

I do like Jonathon as a judge, even though I disagreed with him a few times on the second challenge. But those were strictly on matters of taste - the guy knows his stuff. It's hard to argue with him regarding the technical aspects.

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2010 @ 11:16 PM

And why is Vyxsin from TAR still famewhoring around?

Was Vyxin on there? Was she one of the pinks? I've got the rerun on right now so I'll have to look for her.

ubiquitous

ubiquitous

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2010 @ 11:31 PM

That guy willingly admitted to doing THAT to David Beckham's hair? Oh, dear!

Brig, the girl with the yellow hair and Minnie Mouse bow in her hair annoys me. I cannot STAND Jonathon Anton from his Bravo reality show. I wonder why Jaclyn Smith couldn't host? I can tell the show will suffer without her.

I think whoever did the poodle hair style for the elimination challenge should have been up for elimination.

Edited by ubiquitous, Feb 4, 2010 @ 4:05 AM.

discoprincess

discoprincess

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2010 @ 11:39 PM

What is Camila Alves known for aside for being the baby mama of Matthew McCougnahey?

Bravo faked me out; I thought tantrum boy was going home for sure.

answerphone

answerphone

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 3, 2010 @ 11:54 PM

What is Camila Alves known for aside for being the baby mama of Matthew McCougnahey?

Exactly. I thought, "who's this young, pretty woman who can barely mumble English?"

I didn't know that was his "baby mama" until I googled her.

Do you think Jaclyn Smith wanted too much money, or did they decide to yank her in favor of someone young? ***sigh***

swankie

swankie

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2010 @ 12:13 AM

The roller skates and swim suit?? Exhibitionism for the camera. Just wearing roller skates during the competition was just showing off.

I agree. I was yelling, "Who do you think you are? Tootie from The Facts Of Life? You're not cute enough and definitely not young enough!" Hated her. Also can't stand Jonathan Antool, but I'll give him the benifit of the doubt until he proves otherwise. It's still too early to tell. I'm glad the show is back though. And I also will miss Jaclyn. Hope she's not sick or anything. She gave the show a touch of class. Don't know the new girl, but already the accent is annoying me.

Edited by swankie, Feb 4, 2010 @ 12:17 AM.

circlesquare

circlesquare

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 4, 2010 @ 12:46 AM

Jesus Christ, who the hell green lighted Camila Alves as the host? She is the worst. She has no charisma and speaks with that heinous nasal, monotone voice. Between her voice and Matthew McConaughey's body odor they must be a nightmare of a couple.

As for the hairdressers, I know it's good to have confidence, but the arrogance really gets on my nerves. Rollergirl declaring herself the best hairdresser in the world was cringeworthy as hell, though pretty hilarious since she didn't win the quick challenge.

AngryFeet

AngryFeet

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 4, 2010 @ 12:52 AM

So Camila Alves screwed Matthew McConaughey and Bravo decided that made her a good candidate for a host? They must have been turned down by everybody and their mother, because I cannot imagine why anyone would choose her. She is the worst part of the show. Well, her and roller skate girl, except roller skate girl's bikini top hair was interesting. Otherwise it does seem like there are some talented stylists on the show. It will probably get good when about half of the stylists get kicked off, but I don't know if I can watch Camila and Johnathan Antin for long enough to make it that far.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2010 @ 3:18 AM

Miss Simi Valley has got to go.

If you're going to be hosting a show on American tv, one of the requirements should be that you actually speak English. Camila sucks. Beautiful woman but she needs to keep her mouth shut.

Paron Bonnet

Paron Bonnet

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2010 @ 3:52 AM

If anything, I think this cast is going to be what makes or breaks the season. The judges and new host just don't interest me.

So far, I like Amy, Brig, Janine, Arzo, April, Fateemah (despite her arrogance), Jon (so long as he keeps the douchiness down -- plus, big-lipped guys are TEH HOTNESS to me), and Giacomo. Need time on Brian and Matthew.

Do not like Adee.

I like that the show only casts twelve people. Gives us plenty to get to know all of them as the season progresses.

Definitely like this cast much more than I liked SG2's. Hopefully, no one sucks up the airtime like Charlie did.

All in all, I'm sold on this season, so long as the cast keeps delivering.

faine

faine

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 4, 2010 @ 8:10 AM

Camila Alves, you are no Jaclyn Smith. Padma Lite at best.

ITA. Jaclyn Smith was all class and Bravo dumped her to bring in this? Her nasally voice lost out by a fraction for "most annoying" only to her constant puckering of her lips.

On the upside, Jonathan Antin wasn't nearly as bad as I though the would be. At least he didn't cry as he was prone to do every five minutes on "Blow Out". And thank God Kim Vo is there as a judge. I liked Sally Hershberger as obnoxious as she was because she had credibility. But the other previous judges were awful. I think Kim and Jonathan will make for good judges as long as JA keeps his enormous ego in check.

I do miss the personalities of Season One that last season and this one don't seem to have. Boogie, Ben, Tabatha, Tyson....now we just have yellow haired roller skating freaks who don't seem to realize that California *is* part of the United States.

Edited by faine, Feb 4, 2010 @ 8:13 AM.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2010 @ 8:11 AM

I thought I was the only one who couldn't stand Camila. Her boring voice put me right to sleep so I missed the last 40 minutes of the show.

Can't they bring Jaclyn back? Anyone know why she's no longer hosting? Her choice? or TIIC at Bravo's choice?

Jaclyn was the ONLY reason I tuned in to watch this show. And you're right, faine, she brought class to this show. I hate Bravo.

Edited by Scorpiosrule, Feb 4, 2010 @ 8:15 AM.

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2010 @ 8:40 AM

I miss Jaclyn Smith, too. She did bring class to the show. I remember Kim from last season but not this Jonathon. Camila sounds like she can barely read the cue cards, let alone putting some expression in her voice.

Karlovicious

Karlovicious

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2010 @ 8:42 AM

Camilla is awful although I wasn't a big fan of Jaclyn.

Brig is trying way too hard but I thought her work was interesting. At least she wasn't boring.

That British a-hole will be around for a long time. All the drama queens stick around.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2010 @ 8:53 AM

Do you think Jaclyn Smith wanted too much money, or did they decide to yank her in favor of someone young? ***sigh***

Jonathan isn't that young. Jaclyn maybe didn't want to do it again based on her last bout of surgery.

What was with all the get ups? Was there a costume party the night before and they didn't bother to change? Seriously, get some clothes!!!

I hated Camila over Rene. I don't even think she's all that beautiful. And she should not be anywhere a speaking part.

HotToddy

HotToddy

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 4, 2010 @ 9:48 AM

In the minority here, but I LOVE Jonathan Antin!

Wish I could say that I liked Camille even a little bit, but jeez! how fricking boring was she?? It's like she trying to speak her words so clear that she does it slowly and monotonely - Zzzzzzzzz! No facial expressions, no emotion. I'm not a huge Jaclyn Smith fan, but damn! At least, she made it interesting and fun!

Chick from Simi Valley is giving Simi Valley a bad name! I was so over her in the first 2 minutes.

GenieinTX

GenieinTX

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2010 @ 9:50 AM

And she should not be anywhere a speaking part.

I'll bring out some old TWoP and say Wordy McWord. Holy Cow that woman should not be a host. Her voice drove me up a wall.

I'm ok with the the stylists so far except Simi Valley. That is gonna get old really fast. I feel bad that the Aussie guy got kicked off so fast, I think he's probably better than others that are still there, but I didn't like at all what he did. I'm in.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2010 @ 10:08 AM

What an awful host! So difficult to understand!

sloopster

sloopster

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2010 @ 10:22 AM

I'm perplexed by the elimination. Of the two Aussies in the bottom, seems like one was worse in the initial challenge, did nothing creative that I couldn't have done, didn't do much styling on the head hair, changed course midstream which apparently is going to be frowned on (unless that's just for the initial round) and didn't achieve the basic objective which was to cover the nipples. the other one was ugly, but covered the basics and did something that required thought. I don't get it. Is kicking a chair good TV?

Jaclyn Smith has always had a high level of professionalism in a business that rewards childishness. Maybe it's a generational thing. I had no trouble understanding the new host - she has an accent, get over it. But I have no idea who she is. Maybe the 20somethings all do, and they are, after all, what the childishness-loving industry is all about.

I hated Jonathan's old show, but I think it was so scripted and arranged and he was such a bad actor, it might not have been his fault. A hairdresser friend assured me he's got a lot of technical expertise, and his analysis of the helmet cut bob seemed to play that out (though I'm pretty clueless about hair terminology and art). I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But one shot of him showering with bottled water, and I'm outta here!

snoopval

snoopval

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 4, 2010 @ 10:23 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates the host. I think Bravo must make them do this, but when she keeps repeating the same thing "One of you will go home... so after this twelve will stay and one of you will go home" It makes her sound even more rediculous. I am giving her some credit though because Padma was completly obnoxious Top Chef One and now I kind of like her so perhaps this lady will grow on me.

As a hairdresser some of these stylists make me cringe. They seem to be reinforcing stereotypes. I suppose though a lot of these competitive Bravo shows reinforce stereotypes such as the fashion shows but hairdressing has always been prosecuted in my oppinion, were all ditzy, uneducated, unprofessional, etcetera.

I was surprized that they all seem to do good hair, and I liked most of the looks. I think they were very harsh on Adee, the look might have been simple but I liked it. He does seem to be a very poor loser though, however I think we all have watching 'Blow Out' and the fact that this clown is now judging them probably would be annoying to say the least.

I hate the roller blading girl. I don't care how pretty someone is, seeing her in that gold lame outfit and her pasty white skin would make me lose my breakfast.

ETA- I love Orlando Pita, he seems a little dry in this but he knows what he is doing.
I like Kim Vo he is very respected in the industry and he is very likeable when he's not judging.

Edited by snoopval, Feb 4, 2010 @ 10:30 AM.

Zallia

Zallia

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 4, 2010 @ 11:09 AM

I may have been deafened by the sound of "Haaaate" running through my head, but did Brig say she have children? If so, holy hell I feel sorry for them.

And there is no way in hell Janine is 28. I'm not sure I'd even believe 38.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2010 @ 11:41 AM

Was Vyxin on there? Was she one of the pinks? I've got the rerun on right now so I'll have to look for her.

Yep... I think it was Faaaaaaaaaaaatemah that had her.

chgosaint

chgosaint

Channel Surfer

• Interests:Love television. I can't say I like just one type of television. I like reality, drama, comedy, dramedy, sports....<br /><br />Favorite shows: The Soup, Nip/Tuck, Dexter, Kid Nation, Ugly Betty, The Office, HIMYM, Big Bang Theory, Boston Legal. <br /><br />Shows that I watch that I hate to admit watching: Grey's Anatomy (Three hours under water and she didn't die? Please), Desperate Housewives (could we just kill off a few characters). <br /><br />

Posted Feb 4, 2010 @ 12:06 PM

Wow... there is an hour I will never get back. Seriously Bravo, Camila Alves? I realize English is her second or third, well, maybe fourth language, but I honestly couldn't help but think of Corky from "Life Goes On" everytime I heard her voice. Glad I have chosen to stop at one hour, I couldn't handle a season of her.

What is Bravo doing lately? It was always my go-to network and it has become awful.

raisinthesun

raisinthesun

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 4, 2010 @ 2:19 PM

Meh, it seems to be an ok season so far. I haven't picked out a favorite designer so far. I do miss Rene but I kinda like who is there now so its no real big deal to me.

As much as the girl with the yellow hair got on my nerves I think she should have won this challenge. Her style was creative, fun, and really pretty. I was glad to see the Aussie dude go home, blaming your model for your poor hair design is unprofessional and just plain wrong. But either he or the guy who threw the temper tantrum could have gone and I would have been happy.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2010 @ 2:54 PM

Camila Alveszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The Simi Valley girl w/the yellow hair and Minnie Mouse bow really bugs me. The roller skates and swim suit?? Exhibitionism for the camera. Just wearing roller skates during the competition was just showing off.

I don't care for her "look at me-ism", but I thought she made the best hairstyle. Who cares if it draws attention away from the "bikini"? Bikinis are not exactly fashion IMO, and given that the models were topless, i.e. 50% of the outfit was missing, even the designer wasn't taking it particularly seriously. Was Minnie Mouse supposed to style the hair into a giant arrow pointing to the model's crotch?

I'm glad Janine won. But her outfits--does she really want to look like a 1980s administrative assistant?

I don't believe she's 28. She's Maggie Gyllenhaal after a few too many years of hard living.

I thought Adee should have gone home for doing absolutely nothing with the hair bikini, just used an extension. At least the guy who went home actually did something.

I hate it when Reality Shows encourage do-nothing behavior by booting someone who tried and failed rather than someone who didn't try at all.