My Kitchen Rules

• Please log in to reply

209 replies to this topic

Choyza

Choyza

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 16, 2010 @ 7:35 PM

Agree, Mark was unbelievably childish and so ungracious in his responses at the dinner table. We get it that he is disappointed, but it looked like you couldn't wipe that scowl off his face. His poor wife must have been so embarrassed. I wonder what his students thought watching that.

Of the new couples, some interesting dynamics there. I like the divorced couple and how they disagreed on a few things. Overall the couples seem nicer, though the WA girls were rather annoying. I was wondering in the segment where they introduced every couple, whether those girls routinely cook in lingerie because that's what it looked like. Yes I'll admit I'm shallow but those skimpy white clothes were so distracting!

Also, while Pete comes across as a lovely guy, his voice is so monotonous that it always sounds like he is reading cue cards. I remember his cooking show with Channel 9 years ago (when his show replaced Geoff Jansz's) and being struck by how devoid of personality he seemed, just from his expressionless voice. But he makes up for it with those eyes...

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2010 @ 6:50 PM

Not sure if there are any TWoP viewers out there still, but in case anyone's interested, just read this snippet.

Ryana

Ryana

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 23, 2010 @ 3:24 AM

I'm still hanging in there. Can't get interested enough to snark, but I'm just a sucker for a cooking show.

I am missing the original 5 couples though

Haha I loved the little comment by the narrator tonight about the yam/taro substitution: "fortunately, taro and yam are such similar vegetables this menu subsitution does not cause a problem". It was so quick and it sounded like it was added as an afterthought. Glad to know that there are rules that must be followed, it would be nice if we knew what they were.

Edited by Ryana, Feb 23, 2010 @ 4:42 AM.

luxcy

luxcy

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 23, 2010 @ 4:57 AM

I'm still hanging in there. Can't get interested enough to snark, but I'm just a sucker for a cooking show.

My thoughts exactly. And i find Manu very very sexy.

Ugh, why so much seafood?!

D291173

D291173

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2010 @ 5:21 PM

And i find Manu very very sexy.

Seconded.

Sydneyside

Sydneyside

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2010 @ 9:05 PM

Still watching, but not much to say. I call major bullshit on last night's Vic "workmates" and Rowan's claims of "I've cooked this 1000's of times before" with regard to the fish and the dessert. He obviously knew bugger all about cooking fish. And there is no way that macadamia base every worked as a pre-cooked pastry shell. Chemistry says no! I was surprised the scores were so generous.

I also miss the first group of people. Back to women's curling now...

Rexxy

Rexxy

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 25, 2010 @ 7:10 AM

In case anyone's interested: chocolate pudding-gate. Onya, TPTB.

D291173

D291173

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2010 @ 12:33 AM

I just love the levels of outraged middle-class entitlement displayed in the comments quoted in that article. They're all like, "Channel 7 should repay me for the ingredients I bought because I got embarrassed at my dinner party."

I'm sorry, it just doesn't get any funnier than that.

Sydneyside

Sydneyside

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2010 @ 1:45 AM

I mentioned pudding-gate to MrsSydneyside and she chortled and commented that if you couldn't tell if a recipe proportion was off - it was your lookout. Typical response from her. Still wrong recipes are not uncommon, whether it is because of editorial error or no one actually tried them I don't know, but there was at least one baking recipe in the first edition of Stephanie Alexander's The Cook's Companion that was radically out - corrected in the second edition.

I am still confused about the lack of laying out the rules, budgets, progress of the competition and prizes. Quite bizarre.

Ryana

Ryana

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 28, 2010 @ 5:17 AM

I just love the levels of outraged middle-class entitlement displayed in the comments quoted in that article. They're all like, "Channel 7 should repay me for the ingredients I bought because I got embarrassed at my dinner party."

To those people I say what I have screamed at so many a My Kitchen Rules contestant: "Don't make something for a dinner party that you haven't tried beforehand!!!"

Although I did find those comments very good for a laugh.

Ryana

Ryana

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2010 @ 5:49 AM

How come all these cheftestants have such beautiful kitchens and houses? I am terribly jealous of all of them. My kitchen (which has as sink, a very old electric stove and a tiny bench) is such an embarrasment that I wouldn't let TV cameras near it.

I'm loving all the fairy lights though. Do production suppply those?

I enjoyed watching Holly and Grace tonight, I think they did well and I was impressed with their organisation. I did wonder how they worked out the sizing for all the thongs though.

Rexxy

Rexxy

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 2, 2010 @ 4:40 AM

It seems one of tonight's cheftestants has a bit of form...

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2010 @ 4:16 PM

For all the Manu fans out there.

Samwise

Samwise

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2010 @ 10:13 AM

Overseas viewer here - the show is far from perfect, but Manu (a new discovery for me, thank you France and Australia) keeps me tuning in the whole way through. That's about as much as I can say about him without breaking any forum rules.

There's a lot of manufactured drama - I never believed for a second that the scores for the semi-finalists Mossy & Gabe and Holly & Grace were that close. So M&G's menu was confused, nationality-wise. So what? At least they didn't serve raw rhubarb. And I'm sorry, the way H&G plated that risotto was nasty. Sweet girls, though (and, contrary to the judges, I think I would have rather liked their first entree of strawberry salad with grilled haloumi). Dug up Gabe's recipe for the coconut pie.

However, the worst thing I have ever seen on this show was Rowan and Sophia's first entree. He murdered a beautiful whole fish twice with the filleting and the cooking.

Mike: off-putting house for an off-putting man. Nicely decorated, however.

Pat and Mel: yay, you've contributed your soundbites (very fresh to rhyme kitchen and bitchin'). Now please get off my screen. I've a feeling they'll be the "upset" and boyfriends (come on now, guys) Clint and Noah will pull off a surprising victory. However, I had always been convinced (before the arrival of the 5 new teams which confused me) that they were gunning for a Mossy/Gabe vs. Pat/Mel finals. Good vs. Evil or whatever.

Choyza

Choyza

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 16, 2010 @ 1:15 AM

It would have been amusing if it had been a Matt/Melissa vs Mossy/Gabe final given Matt's history with the law...

I'm finding this show a real bore now. There's only so much excitement from watching these people cook. I thought this part of the competition would be quite different and they'd have to face challenges more like the "meat and 3 veg" challenge, rather than cooking a pre-planned 3 course meal (albeit with the time pressure).

raceguy120390

raceguy120390

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2010 @ 3:51 AM

Why on EARTH are Brumby and Doyle advertising this show? Isn't it against some sort of law for them to spruik commercial enterprises? And don't they have anything better to do? Like stop running the state into the ground?

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2010 @ 7:52 PM

No! Really?

Sydneyside

Sydneyside

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2010 @ 3:37 AM

Amazing! In fact it was just like every other competitive reality show. I hope the lawyers at Seven have cleared their schedules...

Sydneyside

Sydneyside

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2011 @ 5:02 PM

Well we've tuned in for a second season. Perhaps partly because we have a brand new first baby and we're watching a lot of telly while feeding... Not quite a ringing endorsement!

I thought it was a little more pacey than season 1. And at least it looks like the completely confusing format of season 1 (how do teams get eliminated? what are they playing for?) has been toned down. But it isn't great is it?

We've also been watching the Oz version of Come Dine With Me on Foxtel. And if it's a good week of contestants, it's a much better show. It looks cheap as chips to make, and I find James Valentine's narration has a good light touch most of the time. My Kitchen Rules seems incredibly clunky in comparison.

I dunno, maybe MKR needs to work on casting harder? Other than hoping that Tas fails miserably since they seem rather nasty I feel pretty neutral about the contestants. I did go from positive feelings to negative about Vic last night after seeing how completely hopeless they were after talking a big game. But there's a bit of a charisma bypass in 11 out of 12 participants and Manu can't fill the void alone.

TVJunkie

TVJunkie

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2011 @ 1:19 PM

I'm watching Sydneyside! And congrats on the baby!

I still like this show. I love watching them fail spectacularly after talking themselves up (like VIC did last night). She was a control freak that needed bringing down a peg or two. He seems nice enough. And really, who spends 40 mins in a dress up shop when you have limited time to cook for 12 people!

The girls from NSW were fantastic. Well, except for their mess of a dessert. I do wonder if the other teams were only saying their fish was overcooked to try to mark them down a little *adjusts tinfoil hat*

TVJunkie

TVJunkie

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2011 @ 6:25 PM

So anyone else think that the woman from Tas was desperately & deliberately trying to make negative comments about SA last night, in the hope someone else would agree and mark them down? Insecure much? I did love Pete rolling his eyes to Manu, when she was commenting on the stuffed mushrooms.

It'll be interesting to see what the bitchy TAS couple do tonight!

kju

kju

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 10, 2011 @ 1:19 AM

I've only been seeing this when I've gone over to Mum's but I was ever so pleased to hear that Victoria shot themselves in the foot. Seriously, she faffed around in a dress shop?

I hope Tasmania (aka Tas-complainia) got their comeuppance too. God they were so bitchy about poor South Australia.

Mind you, I can't believe that the South Australian couple did something for their dessert that they'd never done before! Mein gott!, do they know nothing?!

TVJunkie

TVJunkie

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2011 @ 2:10 AM

Vic's theme was Masquerade, so they had masks etc for their decorations. When they went out to buy all the ingredients for the dinner, they saw another Costume Hire Shop and spent 40 minutes faffing around in there. They didn't come out with any bags of stuff, so didn't buy anything. Then of course everything else was rushed, which is probably why they failed. I'm glad they get a second chance though.

SA did well. And Tas did better than I thought they would. The WA couple did really well, and ended up second on the ladder, which was great.

Kelekio

Kelekio

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 15, 2011 @ 7:23 AM

Dear Ashhat, Kelly was being generous in comparing you to a four-year-old.

misgabi

misgabi

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 15, 2011 @ 8:25 AM

After tonight's episode I am officially loathing the team from WA.... how pretentious is that daughter!

Didn't like the Qld couple's score being so low... especially after their poor performance! I call game play.

Hope the Tassie girls do well. I rather like them!

nozycat

nozycat

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2011 @ 6:16 AM

After tonight's episode I am officially loathing the team from WA.... how pretentious is that daughter!

She sure could do with a course in table manners.

TVJunkie

TVJunkie

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 2:27 AM

Anyone watching the new season? Anyone?

Anyone? :tumbleweed:

SydTVgal

SydTVgal

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 6:14 PM

I'm watching. Princess is very annoying. Was disappointed they were doing well till a tile...really?

misgabi

misgabi

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 6:16 PM

I'm watching! That Princess...... unbelievable! LOL

The scraping of cutlery on those tiles was hideous!

Kess

Kess

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

Oh, I love the Princess, she's great to watch.
And she sure can cook & I find her quite funny.
I thought after watching them cook it's her offsider I don't particularly like.
And I thought they should have given them a bit more for dessert just for trying so hard.

Bet we get stragic voting for the Kiwis.

Guy from Melb is horrible.

Can't wait to see the 2nd batch with the poncy gay guy and the sister from Vic look really nice.