Sarah Jane Smith: Don't Call Her Sarah

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

53 replies to this topic

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

• Interests:I'm an easy going person and likes to hang out. I like to observe and learn things, and my passions are movies, TV and travelling. I could say that I believe in the soul, high fiber, good Martini, that the books of Chicken Soup of the Soul are self-indulgent crap. I believe in sweet spot, soft-core romantic drama, good food, and I believe in long-slow-deep-soft-wet kisses that last more than three days. I have a computer, a TV, a DVD player, a bathroom & pizza delivery. Why should I leave the house? Of course, unless you have a damn good reason to drag me out; like hell with fluorescent lighting. In other word: Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and have the time of your life.

Posted Jan 29, 2010 @ 7:06 AM

One of my favorite Companions, of course. I wonder whether she would show up again now Ten has changed to Eleven? I understand that during Ten's tenure, he already bid goodbye(s) to her. I would love to see her with Eleven. Bring the kids, even!

Regarding the title, Sarah Jane never liked when people calls her Sarah, but it's okay when The Doctor calls her Sarah. LOL.

During Journey's End, I love how she and Jack Harkness just clicked. They just met, but they just clicked. I'd like to see more.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jan 29, 2010 @ 4:32 PM

I love that someone finally set up a thread for her. I was tempted to do it myself but hey, it's up.

Sarah Jane's appearance in The End Of Time Part 2 is my favourite. She got no dialogue but that look said a thousand. She was one of the companions who was aware that he'd regenerate, apart from Wilfred and maybe Martha.

I'd like if we saw her during Eleven's tenure.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

• Interests:I'm an easy going person and likes to hang out. I like to observe and learn things, and my passions are movies, TV and travelling. I could say that I believe in the soul, high fiber, good Martini, that the books of Chicken Soup of the Soul are self-indulgent crap. I believe in sweet spot, soft-core romantic drama, good food, and I believe in long-slow-deep-soft-wet kisses that last more than three days. I have a computer, a TV, a DVD player, a bathroom & pizza delivery. Why should I leave the house? Of course, unless you have a damn good reason to drag me out; like hell with fluorescent lighting. In other word: Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and have the time of your life.

Posted Jan 30, 2010 @ 7:02 AM

I was surprised that no one set up a thread for her. I thought because she's from a spinoff show and a thread is should strictly from Doctor Who (I don't see Torchwood cast thread). But I saw Jack has his own thread, and Sarah Jane appeared many times in DW, so why not? Not mention she is the longest Companion ever.

Beatriceblake

Beatriceblake

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2010 @ 12:20 PM

I really hope we get to see her in DW with 11 at some point. I bet he'll make her feel really old though. Which isn't fair with him being over 900 and all.

Sarah Jane's appearance in The End Of Time Part 2 is my favourite. She got no dialogue but that look said a thousand.

Yeah that is really good acting. You can tell she knows.

Edited by Beatriceblake, Feb 14, 2010 @ 12:21 PM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2010 @ 9:28 AM

Ah, well, you know the Doctor. Not always the most perceptive of men at times.

I'm so glad that her and the Doctor got to have scenes together in her own show.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2010 @ 1:17 AM

I wonder what would Sarah Jane feels if she met Eleven? Physically younger than her?

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2010 @ 4:43 AM

So was Ten. She'd probably feel happy to know he was still around and saving the universe, with a bit of 'Why couldn't he have been young and pretty back then?'

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2010 @ 9:40 AM

You're in luck. She's meeting Eleven and Jo in episodes 5 and 6 of Series 4 of The Sarah Jane Adventures this year. Looking forward to that meeting.

Can we discuss SJA plot points from the first three seasons when talking about Sarah Jane here?

Edited by darkestboy, May 3, 2010 @ 9:42 AM.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2010 @ 2:23 AM

I asked about a year ago to the moderator, but never got any reply. You should ask, maybe you're luckier than me.

But I think we can discuss about SJA because it's not aired in USA, right?

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2010 @ 3:42 PM

Exatly and also because in terms of stuff, we have both her classic and new series appearances and The Sarah Jane Adventures, which means character wise, there's a lot that can be discussed with/about Sarah Jane etc.

I'll ask though.

Oh and I got my Sarah Jane/Graske action figures along with my 11th Doctor ones yesterday.

GDex86

GDex86

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2010 @ 7:50 AM

So here is my take on the Doctor and Sarah Jane. He seems to treat her with a greater ... the only way I can describe it is "reverence". I feel like that after regeneration 13 if Tardis doesn't self destruct it's be Willed to Sarah Jane. She is the most inline with the side of him he wishes was the only side. The great big smile at what lays outside the Tardis' door while holding someone else's hand as they move from fear to excitement.

That and the fact she has pretty much started Hogworts for Timelord companions.

theschnauzers

theschnauzers

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2010 @ 7:49 PM

I've taken the view that after The Stolen Earth/Journey's End, and before that, School Reunion, Sarah Jane is the "leader" of the Doctor's Companions, or at least the ones who are human. The Doctor entrusted her with K-9, who just happens to have the TARDIS basecode backuped in his memory units, and she's had a lifetime of doing the sort of things on Earth that The Doctpr would otherwise have done. And even Darvos seemed to fear her presence even more than the Doctor's in the midst of the Reality Bomb plot.

Oddly enough, I finally realized that when I first watched Classic Who in the late 1970s or very early 1980s on PBS, Sarah Jane was my first Companion. I've always had a soft spot for Sarah Jane, What can I say?

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2010 @ 11:21 PM

I feel like that after regeneration 13 if Tardis doesn't self destruct it's be Willed to Sarah Jane.

I like this theory. Sarah Jane would inherit the TARDIS. She and the kids can travel around the universe. The TARDIS supposedly to be operated by several people, anyway. Especially Luke is a genius so he probably understand the whole wibbly wobbly timey wimey...stuff. And the AWESOME Clyde and Rani would make kick ass Companions.

GDex86

GDex86

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2010 @ 10:56 AM

And even Darvos seemed to fear her presence even more than the Doctor's in the midst of the Reality Bomb plot.

Because I think Sarah Jane would have actually pulled the button. Martha while awesome was effectively telling him to bugger off or she would commit genocide on her entire species minus a few people to stop him. Odd wise Davros could bet on her wavering enough for him to figure something else out. Sarah Jane was Mama Bear. She saw what waited for Luke, Maria, and Clyde if she didn't stop Davros here and now, she knew what Davros would do from when she met him. She was only going to risk killing herself, Mickey, Jackie, Rose, and The Doctor to save her child(ren) and the rest of humanity. A very Doctorish choice. She'd push the button in a heart beat if he didn't back off.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2010 @ 8:49 AM

Sarah Jane's attire is even Doctor-ish in it's own as well. Even her dynamic with Maria, Clyde and Rani leans that way more than it does with Luke.

Pharangese

Pharangese

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2010 @ 4:29 PM

Well, I can't wait to see Sarah Jane meet Eleven. And the kids probably would look at him in confusion, especially seeing his wardrobe. And he would say, "Bowties are cool." And Clyde would say, "No...."

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Jun 19, 2010 @ 4:01 AM

That would be funny and awesome.

It would be a great adventure between Eleven and Sarah Jane with the kids. They would be like a big family; dad, mum, and the kids travelling inside the TARDIS.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 8:48 AM

And we'll soon see how exactly both Sarah Jane and Eleven hit it off. I'm sure Matt and Elisabeth will be brilliant onscreen together.

Marq DeCarabas

Marq DeCarabas

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 10:20 PM

Ten was calling her Sarah all through his guest appearance, can he actually get away with that?

Or does it irritate her?

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jul 19, 2010 @ 5:48 PM

Because he's the Doctor, he most definitely can. And she seemed alright with it.

I don't think being called Sarah irritates her but perhaps she just prefers to be called Sarah Jane?

ace27

ace27

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 25, 2010 @ 9:25 PM

Is there a point where Sarah expresses she doesn't want to be called *sarah* vs Sarah Jane? The 4th Doctor always called her Sarah

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 2:51 AM

Sarah Jane explicitly said that she wants to be called "Sarah Jane" to the children and Gita, Rani's mother (Sarah Jane Adventures series). But Gita kept calling her Sarah, which made her visibly uncomfortable.

But when The Doctor kept yelling her name, "Sarah" during her wedding episode, Rani told The Doctor that she hates being called Sarah. The Doctor replied, "She's fine being called Sarah by ME."

So... Sarah Jane is okay being called 'Sarah' by The Doctor, but not by anyone else.

Edited by HoneyBee, Oct 4, 2010 @ 2:52 AM.

theschnauzers

theschnauzers

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 7:11 PM

Although Ten did say "Sarah Jane" to her directly in one of their episodes together, (either "School Reunion" or "Journey's End,") so he is aware of her preference.

Edited by theschnauzers, Oct 11, 2010 @ 7:12 PM.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Oct 27, 2010 @ 7:41 AM

Eleven greeted her with "Hello, Sarah Jane..." just like Ten did. But then kept calling her Sarah afterwards.

Ah, so nice to see Sarah Jane got along with Jo from the very beginning.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Oct 27, 2010 @ 10:21 PM

So... Sarah Jane is okay being called 'Sarah' by The Doctor, but not by anyone else.

I'm like that. I prefer akg but there are one or two people who knew me as a kid who can go with the nickname without bothering me.

I've been rewatching the older Who (slowly, I'm still on One) and I'm very excited about the SJA episodes. I love her.

Gulftastic

Gulftastic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 3:05 PM

Terrible, awful news. Elisabeth Sladen has passed away aged just 63.

http://www.digitalsp...es-aged-63.html

RIP, Lis.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 3:48 PM

Just read.

A very sad for the world of Who.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 3:49 PM

Far too young for such a lovely woman. I had no idea she was sick! She'll be missed by several generations of sci-fi nerds. She was always so kind to her fans young and old.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 4:10 PM

I just... cannot believe it...

Miss Kira

Miss Kira

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 4:28 PM

Delurking just to say RIP, Elisabeth. Too young. What a shock...