6-1/6-2: "LA X Parts 1 and 2" 2010.02.02 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

762 replies to this topic

nighten

nighten

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 9, 2010 @ 4:26 PM

To help Jacob or his people. Can't be sure that Jacob could forsee everything. He might have just known that having chosen them, they needed to be there. Funny how once Locke died, Ben was the one working to bring them back, though for his own reason

I think that Jacob could foresee lots of possibilities, especially since he wrote the note before they even went back to the island, and when he appeared to Hurley in ghost form, he told Hurley about the hole outside the wall around the temple -- the hole where Smokey had attacked the French team. Wonder how Jacob knew about that...?

I think the key here is the conversation between Jacob and MIB, regarding the cycle of events, where MIB says it always ends the same, and Jacob points out that anything that happens is progress. So I'm assuming the time loop is something they've been dealing with for a long while and the Losties are just the latest in a long line of loops. But, it would seem (at least from Jacob's actions) that the Losties are the key to ending it all somehow.

Jordan44

Jordan44

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2010 @ 8:07 PM

I thought it was sad and poignant watching the Losties on the plane. Those are some of the people we have watched for over 5 years, but in a way it wasn't. They didn't know each other and even though they have been through some tough times, those relationships with each other made them into who they were and became. I will feel very sad if they end this series with them not remembering their experiences on the island.

Frank Flint

Frank Flint

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2010 @ 8:42 PM

So why did they reedit the second hour of LA X for the pop-up repeat version showing tonight? In the original, we see Jack being paged in the airport about seven minutes in and ten minutes later we see Kate escaping from the Marshal. In the repeat, they switched those two scenes, which would be fine except that now we see Kate standing in the immigration line with the Marshal ten minutes after she escaped. With Lost my first inclination is always to assume there's a method to the madness, but I have to assume this was just a bad mistake.

Energiya Buran

Energiya Buran

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2010 @ 8:43 PM

I thought it was sad and poignant watching the Losties on the plane. Those are some of the people we have watched for over 5 years, but in a way it wasn't. They didn't know each other and even though they have been through some tough times, those relationships with each other made them into who they were and became. I will feel very sad if they end this series with them not remembering their experiences on the island.

This is similar to what Sawyer tried to deter Jack with...you will never know Kate, etc. And I agree, the experiences they gained on the Island made them different, or, who they are today (even though they don't know it yet). And perhaps Jacob knows this; Jacob Loves You.

StarrGazerr

StarrGazerr

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2010 @ 9:19 PM

Why do the passengers who travel on the submarine to/from Dharmaville have to be put to sleep for the journey? I always thought that was so weird. Was it ever clarified?

To the best of my knowledge it has never been clarified. My own suspicion has been that it was intended to make sure no one has any way of even guessing where the island is located - as they might if they knew that they were traveling for X hours or something like that. It may also have been intended to simply emphasize the air of mystery about the Island - as in "you're leaving the real world and entering another" but that's just my hunch. Since Michael was able to leave the Island on the boat Ben gave him I have to assume there is no "physical" barrier to be crossed, but you never know LOL.

Jagged Angel

Jagged Angel

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2010 @ 9:50 PM

Since Michael was able to leave the Island on the boat Ben gave him I have to assume there is no "physical" barrier to be crossed, but you never know LOL.

That's true. I had forgotten all about that. I started thinking maybe it was because of the time travel. I remember when Juliet was first brought over they told her it would make her trip more comfortable. But then, the captain of the sub stayed awake.

Edited by Jagged Angel, Feb 9, 2010 @ 9:54 PM.

StarrGazerr

StarrGazerr

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2010 @ 10:03 PM

But then, the captain of the sub stayed awake.

Actually when you think about it we don't even know that. For all we know, after all the "passengers" were drugged the crew could have put the sub on autopilot and knocked themselves out, just as long as they knew their dose would wake them up before the passengers woke up. But that's probably irrelevant either way LOL.

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2010 @ 11:08 PM

Just a reminder that this thread is ONLY for discussion of the premiere episode. If you are speculating about what's to come, we have a place to do that.

Jordan44

Jordan44

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2010 @ 4:59 PM

One last thing about this episode. The marshall was bleeding from the same spot on his forehead after the fight with Kate as he was when hit with the case on the plane in the pilot.

In the repeat, they switched those two scenes, which would be fine except that now we see Kate standing in the immigration line with the Marshal ten minutes after she escaped.

Maybe a little time travel?!? :) Okay, I couldn't resist.

iheartminnesota

iheartminnesota

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2010 @ 5:18 PM

Does anyone know if the music that played when Juliet was dying was new or if we had heard it before? I kind of thought it sounded like "Life and Death" at points, but I'm not sure because I was insanely emotional to the degree that my sense were probably impacted. (I do know it was wonderful though.)

Nafkert

Nafkert

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 8:27 PM

I'm rewatching this episode having seen the finale. Rose IMMEDIATELY realized what the sideways is, and didn't need an awakening. However Bernard does not. It really makes a touching scene between the two of them now that we know the whole story.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

Whew!! I have no idea what in the heck is going on! Who is Jacobís nemesis supposed to be? Obviously, he is the black smoke from the Island. It seems like they are trying to play it that Jacob and black smoke are opposing forces, one dark/one light, one evil/one good, and that Jacob is the good one, but if that is supposed to the case, Iím not really buying it. Jacob was the head of the Others, and the Others did a lot of really messed up thingsÖIím just saying! Since the black smoke inhabited Lockeís body, is Jacob now going to take over Sayidís body?

Oh and Iím not even going to try to figure out how/why the gang is both on the Island and on the plane landing in LA or why in the world Desmond appeared on the plane and why Shannon wasnít.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

I'm interested to see what you think of Season 6 if you do finish it. Good observations...