Mexican Made Easy : ¿Cuán fácil fue eso?

• Please log in to reply

177 replies to this topic

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 1:49 PM

I love this show. Glad she got renewed for more episodes. The way she kept saying 'goo-yerr' annoyed the shit out of me, though, LOL.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2011 @ 8:18 PM

Another interesting show today with Marcela's desserts. That tres leches cake looked awesome! However, Marcela lapses into the same habit that people complain about with Giada, with the over-done native accent when she mentions certain ingredients.

Other than that, I have no complaints. Her personal stories are short and relevant and don't go overboard.

I am glad that her show was renewed. I hope that her new cookbook is successful.

SnarklePuss

SnarklePuss

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 8, 2011 @ 9:36 PM

Does anyone know if it's actually filmed in her apartment/condo (or someone else's) with that gorgeous view of San Diego Bay? Or are the window scenes faked?

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 1:42 PM

However, Marcela lapses into the same habit that people complain about with Giada, with the over-done native accent when she mentions certain ingredients.

Actually there is a big difference between them with that, mostly because Marcela was raised in Mexico from birth and so the way she pronounces certain words is exactly how they'd be said there by native speakers.

Giada though doesn't have such a claim to Italy and she doesn't have an accent, Marcela does have one naturally, it just isn't very pronounced unless she speaks in Spanish.

PhillipKyler

PhillipKyler

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:54 AM

Saw a commercial tonight for a new season premiering on May 5, the show looks revamped with a new set. While I like the show, I never felt like Marcela was being used to her full potential. Hopefully the new season addresses past issues and the food is smarter/Marcela drops using the word "nice" in every sentence.

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:41 AM

Saw a commercial tonight for a new season premiering on May 5, the show looks revamped with a new set.

That is great news! I love Marcella and her food looks so good... I've made several of her recipes and they have turned out really well.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

That's great news and I saw the promo for the new show when I finally got around to watching my recording of "All-Star Chopped." I was glad that Marcella made the finals. I was surprised when Aaron Sanchez said that Marcella had been "trying for 10 years to get a show on Food Network."

I'm looking forward to the new show, but I'm going to miss her old kitchen set. I thought it was gorgeous and I don't think I'd EVER get tired of seeing it.

What I hope DOESN'T happen is that Marcella's new show will turn into a "Barefoot Contessa," or "Giada at Home," type of show, where actual cooking instruction is sacrificed for segments on shopping/promoting local merchants, contrived occasions to invite "faux" friends over, etc.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:00 PM

I hope it's OK to be a repeat poster when discussing a new show.

Did anybody else watch Marcella's new show today? I didn't like it at all. After what I observed, I think that FN is imposing a new format of having guests/events/back stories, etc.

Marcella was hosting a Cinco de Mayo party and invited friends over for the party and to help her cook.

Marcella got the memo that she's supposed to focus on food, family and yoga (ala Giada) as the opening shot show Marcalla in a yoga class.

All of the food looked really tasty and easy to prepare. Marcella has two of her "yoga buds" as guests to help her prepare tamales. C'mon, don't tell me that the male "Eddie" was so clueless that he left the skins on the onions when he chopped them. That was SOOOoooo fake.

It's apparent that Marcella doesn't like guests in the kitchen, because after Eddie and Vanessa left, Marcella said, "Now that I don't have Eddie and Vanessa MESSING WITH MY COOKING, I'm going to do....." Her facial expression and body language indicated that she wasn't happy.

When she finally had the party together and was making margaritas, she said to just serve one "signature cocktail," so she didn't have to stock an entire bar. Well, what's the huge deal about buying some assorted beers and wines to serve to the people who don't like tequila? She could have done that relatively inexpensively.

I also didn't like her cut-off, "Bye, see you next time." Then, she turned to her guests.

In short, Marcella doesn't seem comfortable with the new format. I felt like as a viewer, I was an inconvenience. I'm actually surprised that Bobby Flay, as a producer, didn't finesse this better.

Ugh... I hate to see a bitch side of her coming out, but I think that's what FN perpetuates with its female hosts.

Maybe it will take a few more weeks to work out the kinks. Otherwise, I'm not sure if I'll watch the show. Unless Marcella insisted on a change of format, she seemed to be so much better in her colorful kitchen with the breathtaking view. (OBTW, both are gone.)

tinalou09

tinalou09

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:44 PM

grisgris... I saw the show today. I was disappointed, this has to be Bob Tushes thing. That is all he ever talks about on The Next Food Network Star. I hated the new format so much I didn't make it to the end of the show. I even hate the new theme music.

~tina~

Edited by tinalou09, May 5, 2012 @ 8:50 PM.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:25 AM

It really was disappointing. To make it worse, I went to the FN website to print the recipes for the spicy chicken and the potato and chorizo flautas and you can't click on the recipe titles and link to the recipes. I had to search them out by ingredient. GRRRRRrrrrr!!!! I really am not interested in watching Marcella do yoga or shop for local ingredients or host parties for guests that she obviously doesn't know from Adam. Her show was so much better when she OCCASIONALLY had her adorable son or real family members on. Some hosts (like Paula Deen) are great sharing the kitchen and others aren't. Marcella definitely falls in the latter category.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 3:26 PM

I only caught the first 5 minutes & I was so distracted I didn't notice a new set. I loved her old set. I'm disappointed to hear she had a fake storyline. I really enjoyed her 'old' show, & I'm pissed they messed w/ a good thing. Leave it to FN to fuck up a wetdream.

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

I was SO disappointed when I watched this show! I LOVED her old format, and she seemed to be a natural just talking to the camera and cooking. Now she looked disgruntled, with an "let's get this over with" feeling to the episode. What is the deal with the necessity of a storyline? It's Food Network, not Lifetime.

Aside from that, the food did look good. I bet the chicken would be great grilled and then slathered with the sauce (leftovers would make fabulous tacos), and the flautas were a nice change from your traditional chicken.

PhillipKyler

PhillipKyler

Video Archivist

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

I watched last week's episode for about 10 minutes and then deleted the recording, I hated it.

Today's new episode did a complete 360, I really enjoyed her, she seemed the most natural I've seen on camera. Will look forward to next week's episode.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

I agree that today's show was much better. However, Marcela's guests were her family members, so I thought it was obvious that she was so much more natural and comfortable with them. I still find her as one who clearly either doesn't like to have other people in the kitchen with her, or, she's uncomfortable. Once again, she made some remark about "shooing somebody out of her kitchen." I don't know if that's meant to be funny or she really feels that way.

There was some show that ran all day long yesterday on TCC about "The Next Food Network Star." I was busy, so I didn't pay close attention, but the contestants were doing some exercise where they had to cook in tandem. Dan and Steve (gee, remember them?) demonstrated how do make it work. However, everybody pointed out how difficult and uncomfortable it is when you have two (or more) people trying to cook within the constraints of a TV set kitchen and keep from falling over each other, etc. That makes more sense to me now, however, I still find multiple cooks distracting.

I thought those kids on Marcela's show were adorable. I always thought that Marcela is very pretty, but damn -- her sister is a knockout. She had this Eva Mendes appeal about her. I didn't know if the sister doesn't speak English very well (thus the subtitles) or they were just talking together in Spanish because they were excited, etc.

Looking forward to next week!

ETA: I know that Eva Mendes' name isn't Eve!

Edited by grisgris, May 12, 2012 @ 3:19 PM.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 2:06 PM

I can't believe I missed it again. I have got to set my DVR. Glad to hear it was back to normal.

PhillipKyler

PhillipKyler

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

I'm happy to report the jump in quality wasn't just for last week's episode. I actually enjoyed today's even more. She feels much comfortable in front of the camera and doesn't appear as rehearsed.

tabloidlover

tabloidlover

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 10:19 AM

In yesterday's show, she mentioned that she is a "single mom" and I'm wondering if that is something new? Maybe that is why she no longer films in the same house? I seem to remember her talking about her husband last season, and his making an appearance. Am I remembering correctly?

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 11:12 AM

I've always been under the impression that Marcella is a single mom. She's had some male guests on before but they were always relatives. She had some guy on once who helped her prepare something and she was pretty flirty with him. However, I vaguely recall that he was married and he and Marcella had known each other for a long time through some kind of cooking connection. Of course, my nosy meter is set to high, so I'm interested to know what the story it.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 2:03 PM

Okay, now y'all made my nosy meter go off. A little poking around the interent shows she was still married in 2010. Her Wiki page just mentions she has a son.

metsmvfn

metsmvfn

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 11:49 AM

Okay, now y'all made my nosy meter go off. A little poking around the interent shows she was still married in 2010. Her Wiki page just mentions she has a son.

Wasn't she wearing a wedding ring on Saturday's show?. I swear that I remember her wearing one.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 7:26 PM

I watched today's show and Marcella was wearing two silver band type rings on her left ring finger. I guess that doesn't mean anything. For years, I wore a silver and turquoise ring on that finger because it was the only finger that it fit. Hmmmmm.... took me about 25 years to figure out why no guys ever approached me and why I'm still single! LOL!

Today's show was also good. Marcella went to a farm co-op and made an entire meal of fresh produce. It was a good mix of promoting organic produce and she also had an interesting tie-in story that her father was a farmer. I had no idea. She also talked a lot about Fausto, but he wasn't on. (No mention of a husband, though...) It sounded very real and natural, not a bunch of scripted BS storyline and no guests. Anyway, the show was very well done.

tinalou09

tinalou09

Channel Surfer

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

I hated the first two new eppies, but since then I have grown to like it more than the original. I still hate the new opening music though lol

Edited by tinalou09, May 27, 2012 @ 1:00 PM.

PhillipKyler

PhillipKyler

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

On today's ep she said she was separated from the father of her son but that he was still in his life.

I really liked the relationship between Marcella and her aunt, would like to see her return for more episodes! Also, it's a complete 180 from the craziness that is Giada and her aunt (blanking her name).

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

Yeah! A Mexican version of Aunt Raffi -- Tio Marcella -- her niece is her namesake.

I always watch Marcella's show because she is so personable. However, today was WAY overkill on the Kermit/Medussa formula to tell family stories. I got so caught up in Marcella's stories that I had to keep rewinding to remember what she was cooking.

The bottom line was that Marcella's aunt -- Tio Marcella -- started the first cooking school in Baja. She pressed a teenaged Marcella into service during the school summer breaks. Marcella revealed that since the was FIVE or so, her life-long dream was to be an architect. However, Tio Marcella's influence persuaded Marcella to follow her passion for cooking and food.

Marcella and her aunt had a brief disagreement about something like cutting a slit in a chile or something before adding it to the soup. I thought, "Uh, oh... here comes another Giada/Aunt Raffi stand-off" but they both laughed it off. The story behind the soup was that the recipe was from Fausto's paternal grandmother.

Now we have the skivvy on Marcella and Fausto's father. Pretty benign. They have a "good relationship" and Fausto regularly spends time with his paternal grandparents. The ex-MIL was the source of today's soup recipe.

I've noticed that somebody has encouraged Marcella to really ramp it up with the personal history stories. Granted, she's not always the most technically eloquent cook, but she's fun and interesting to watch. She even said today that she hoped that her ongoing guidance from her aunt would help shape her as she "matured and honed her culinary skills." Whatever that means... she made it to the final round of "All-Star Chopped," so I think she has a lot of potential.

Alas, since Marcella is Mexican, therefore, she will be the "Mexican" POV face for FN. I'd love to see what else she can do.

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

Did anyone watch the seafood episode? IMO it was the best episode of this season. There was a little more boat/fishing story than I would have liked, but the dishes looked SOOOO good I can overlook that. I need to bookmark the crab salad and chipotle cream shrimp recipes, and I'd be willing to try the quesadillas and grilled fish, although I could probably pass on the lobster... Just not a huge fan of lobster.

Alas, since Marcella is Mexican, therefore, she will be the "Mexican" POV face for FN. I'd love to see what else she can do.

But as the "Mexican POV" on FN I think she does a fabulous job of incorporating recipes that just aren't tacos and enchiladas or other generic Tex-Mex dishes. Yes, she made quesadillas and ceviche, but with ingredients you normally don't think of using when making quesadillas or ceviche. And, most of her dishes look pretty healthy to boot.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

Yes. I watched that show. I'd love to try the shrimp dish and that crab salad also looked tasty. I don't quite remember what she did with the lobster, but it didn't appeal to me. I'm boring and just like lobster with lots of melted butter and lemon!

The fishing scenes didn't bother me that much, as I like Fausto. He's a cute little guy and seems smart and well-behaved. I got a kick out of him watching the dolphins and sea lions. He appears to be older than Jade DeLaurentis and younger than the Drummond tribe. I'm glad that he's not on every show, though. Marcella always manages to mention him a few times during each show. That's OK.

Other than the new music, I really like this new series of shows. Marcella has improved her cooking skills (she's not as messy as she used to be) and camera presence. I'd like to see her on other FN shows, just as long as she doesn't go the route of the other hosts with over-exposure.

Edited by grisgris, Jul 4, 2012 @ 2:02 PM.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

I watched most of today's episode and I have a question. Are enchiladas usually made that way? This seemed to be such a messy process (even though she said it would be). All of this dipping the oil-drippy tortillas into the sauce (should you drain them on a paper towel first?), filling them and then picking up the sauce-dripping bundle and putting it into the baking dish. I've never made enchiladas, but I've read a lot of cookbooks, and I thought that you would spead a little sauce in the dish, and then wrap up your filling in each tortilla and place them in the dish. You would spoon some sauce between each piece and then put the rest on top, finishing with cheese. (Of course, I could just be thinking of how you layer lasagna.) Or, is the way she did it the more 'traditional' way?

Also, I'm glad that there was more baking involved. Those shrimp were not completely cooked when she put them into the tortillas. You definitely don't want to overcook shrimp or it will get tough, but so many of these chefs/cooks take the shrimp out of the pan/off of the grill when they still have a little gray in them. They should be pink/white through and through (and it doesn't take long at all to get them cooked through and still be tender). Rats! Now I'm hungry for shrimp.

ToothbrushFence

ToothbrushFence

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

I watched most of today's episode and I have a question. Are enchiladas usually made that way? This seemed to be such a messy process (even though she said it would be). All of this dipping the oil-drippy tortillas into the sauce (should you drain them on a paper towel first?), filling them and then picking up the sauce-dripping bundle and putting it into the baking dish. I've never made enchiladas, but I've read a lot of cookbooks, and I thought that you would spead a little sauce in the dish, and then wrap up your filling in each tortilla and place them in the dish. You would spoon some sauce between each piece and then put the rest on top, finishing with cheese. (Of course, I could just be thinking of how you layer lasagna.) Or, is the way she did it the more 'traditional' way?

I think Marcela's way is the more authentic way. The way you described is certainly easier and less messy, but seems to be a shortcut or Americanized version (or perhaps it is a variation in Mexico, who knows!). When I make enchiladas, I do sort of a hybrid version. Put sauce in the bottom of the pan, heat the tortillas in the microwave instead of in oil, dip in sauce, and then roll the enchiladas on a cutting board.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2012 @ 4:14 PM

I think Marcela's way is the more authentic way. The way you described is certainly easier and less messy, but seems to be a shortcut or Americanized version (or perhaps it is a variation in Mexico, who knows!). When I make enchiladas, I do sort of a hybrid version. Put sauce in the bottom of the pan, heat the tortillas in the microwave instead of in oil, dip in sauce, and then roll the enchiladas on a cutting board.

Thanks! No matter how you end up constructing them, they sound (and on TV--looked) good.

Paxton

Paxton

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 4:13 PM

I usually don't watch this show but I saw yesterday's and those shrimp enchiladas looked wonderful and so naturally I can't find the recipe on the FN site. I have tried making enchiladas in the past without dipping the tortillas in oil to soften them and I'm never satisfied with the results so even though it's messy and more fattening, I stick with the oil dipping. You're usually already all in with the cheese calories anyway, so oh well.