Mexican Made Easy : ¿Cuán fácil fue eso?

• Please log in to reply

177 replies to this topic

PowerfulNiolani

PowerfulNiolani

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 28, 2010 @ 5:27 PM

Real simple, real good! I hate that, I want to scream every time I hear it: "REALLY good not real good!"

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2010 @ 6:15 PM

To give this lady a fair shake I'll try to DVR her show on Saturday. Her voice and delivery sound like she probably speaks both flawless Spanish and English, but she's trying to come across like she struggles with English.

I'm just not all that interested in the overall program.

blakec73

blakec73

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 28, 2010 @ 8:27 PM

Thank you.... I thought I was the only one, who was unhappy about the show...

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2010 @ 8:44 PM

Didn't FN have a Mexican show starring somebody named Daisy? What happened to her? I never watched it. Ingrid Hoffman kind of grew on me, just because her food looked good and I decided she was kind of silly/sweet and not an airhead. I like Mexican food and all, but just every now and then.

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2010 @ 9:42 PM

Didn't FN have a Mexican show starring somebody named Daisy? What happened to her? I never watched it. Ingrid Hoffman kind of grew on me, just because her food looked good and I decided she was kind of silly/sweet and not an airhead. I like Mexican food and all, but just every now and then.

Yeah, Daisy Martinez, I think.... I thought she was annoying, but I did like Ingrid. I LOVE Mexican food, so I thought I'd give this gal a try, and I kinda liked her. Didn't get how her eggs benedict was mexican, other than the chipotle, but oooh those chilaquiles look good! Definitely going to give her a shot!

jerusha

jerusha

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2010 @ 7:47 PM

I liked the first episode enough to run out that afternoon and buy tomatillos to make a roasted green salsa, so that's a good sign to me. I also like her personality-- comfortable on camera and bubbly without being a cheerleader. She clearly knows what she's doing in a kitchen, too. (It's a bummer that Daisy's show didn't take, though, because I loved her show on PBS.) Set to tape tomorrow morning as well. Fingers crossed that it continues to be good.

Watermelon

Watermelon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2010 @ 9:44 AM

They're playing the first part of the episode again. They went to commercial, and then started from the beginning. Odd...

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2010 @ 10:02 AM

Deja vu all over again. Sorry shrimp, maybe next time. Hope she had a bunch of napkins for those wings.

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2010 @ 10:14 AM

I'm really underwhelmed by this show so far. Aside from the tomatillo salsa made with the chilaquiles in the first episode, nothing has looked like anything I would want to make.

I like her. She's pretty, personable, and has good instructional qualities. But her choice of recipes seem to be really dull and dumbed-down, Americanized Mexican. Meh. Let's hope it improves.

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2010 @ 12:22 PM

I like this show. I think she's cute and informative without being condescending or irritating. I watched both of her episodes back-to-back, and I have to say that I LOVE the opening music! It's so peppy and happy!

They're playing the first part of the episode again. They went to commercial, and then started from the beginning. Odd...

Talk about poor editing. I looked up the shrimp recipe on FN's horrible website and it looked really good - I wish we could have seen it. I think I will try out her baked tortilla chip recipe though, since corn tortillas are always cheaper than tortilla chips, and if I can make them healthier, why not? I thought the wings looked good too, although I'd probably pass on the pecans.

Jennionthefarm

Jennionthefarm

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2010 @ 1:07 PM

I like her and the show. The recipes aren't terribly complicated and I think that's fine, the show is called Mexican Made Easy, not Superauthentic Mexican That Will Take Lots of Time. She reinforced my desire to go out and buy some different kinds of chile powder. I just made a roast pork loin and liked the dry rub but it called for chili powder and I don't care for my other food to taste like chili, so I'm going to experiment with pure chile powder.

Her voice and delivery sound like she probably speaks both flawless Spanish and English, but she's trying to come across like she struggles with English.

grisgris, I didn't get that at all but I missed the first episode because I forgot to record it. Speaking of which, why didn't they replay her show Monday or Tuesday like they do with the others?

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2010 @ 2:52 PM

... the show is called Mexican Made Easy, not Superauthentic Mexican That Will Take Lots of Time.

That's true. And given her Eggs Benedicto from episode one, I'll be anxiously awaiting her Mexicali-inspired Tiramasuto (made with churros, Kahlua, and Mexican cinnamon). Ole!

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2010 @ 3:18 PM

Her voice and delivery sound like she probably speaks both flawless Spanish and English, but she's trying to come across like she struggles with English.

I based that comment solely on what I heard during the promos. I DVR'd the show today and realize that she speaks just fine, although she punches the accent on Mexican words -- but not as bad as Giada.

I thought that Marcella was personable and I enjoyed the color and design of the set. I thought that she looked very nice. Pretty and flattering clothes and her hair pulled neatly back.

I'd try those chicken wings she made. For some reason, the DVR repeated the guacamole, so I missed the shrimp on rosemary skewers.

I'll give her a couple of more tries. I already like her better than Melissa.

Question: What was that square green thing on the coffee table? It looked like a gigantic patch of perfectly trimmed "cat grass." If that is what is was, then sorry, it really need to be on the floor, not on the table where food is being served. Maybe it was some type of unusual houseplant? If it was wheat grass or something you'd consume, the logical place would be to grow it in the kitchen. It's not like she doesn't have room.

blakec73

blakec73

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 30, 2010 @ 6:34 PM

Did she doublr dip ????

Did she doublr dip ????

foodie100

foodie100

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2010 @ 6:49 PM

I like the show. it wasn't incredibly innovative, but I found her not at all annoying. Pleasing, in fact. That alone makes her WAY ahead of most FN shows.

I liked the baked tortilla tip - I actually haven't tried that before.

Edited by foodie100, Jan 30, 2010 @ 6:49 PM.

osomarie

osomarie

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2010 @ 7:42 PM

I'm still have nothing derogative to say. She's really good, instructionally-wise, gives background on the recipes, plus on her own personal history. She seems comfortable in a kitchen and so is comfortable to watch.

But I was really hoping for a wider, regional view of Mexican food a la Rick Bayliss. But it seems like she's more about "Mexicanizing" some typical American dishes. But hey she's from border town Tijuana, so she's probably as much about So.Calif. as she is about Mexico. The border is vague (believe me!!).

Everything she's made so far has looked mighty tasty.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2010 @ 7:48 PM

Is she really from Tiajuana? That's the only place in Mexico that I've ever been to.

I thought the baked tortilla tip was good, because I never thought to brush she layers with oil. I think I've seen Aunt Sandy do something simliar only she sprayed the tortillas with non-stick cooking spray.

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2010 @ 7:58 PM

I only got to see the last half of today's episode, but I did like how she explained things without talking down to the viewers.

It would be nice if FN would air these Saturday morning shows again during the week.

Baysu

Baysu

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2010 @ 8:18 PM

I think I've seen Aunt Sandy do something simliar only she sprayed the tortillas with non-stick cooking spray.

I think Sandy is doing mexican food tomorrow.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2010 @ 6:27 AM

Yes. How many times must she insult that culture?

angelblades

angelblades

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 31, 2010 @ 1:12 PM

I watched again and I still can't tolerate her. She's the love child of Giada and Rachael. I feel like I should apologize for feeling this way. I find her to be waaaay over the top. Rolling her eyes, waving her hands, dippin her knees. Cheerleader rah rah rah animation from Where the Wild Things Are. I'll try again next week with the sound muted. Maybe I'm just getting old, dammit.

blakec73

blakec73

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 6, 2010 @ 7:00 PM

What did ya'll think off the dream whip in the strawberry tart????

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2010 @ 7:12 PM

Thank you. I DVR'd this today and tried to watch it and gave up and deleted it.

First, what are "Maria cookies?"

Now, for the second week in a row, I've learned a "secret" about how sprinkling strawberries with sugar brings out the juice.

DREAM WHIP in the pie filling? Why did Marcela keep it in the refrigerator? That's one secret I think I'd keep to myself.

What was so special about that soup? I've seen Bobby Flay do more exciting things with a chipotle.

The over-enunciation of the Mexican words drove me nuts. It's as bad as Giada. Also, the bending over and showing the cleavage.

This is one show where I'd actually appreciate some backstories about Mexican culture/cooking, etc. I really don't care if Marcela created that menu for her sister, etc. The only thing I learned was that in Southern Mexico, people cook with butternut squash.

I saw Marcela as a judge on "Throwdown" the other night about fish tacos. Actually, the guy who was challenging Bobby Flay might be really good on FN. He had a passion for Mexican cooking and threw out some tips about not using "yellow" cheese, red onion, etc.

I've seen enough.

osomarie

osomarie

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2010 @ 7:34 PM

maria cookies - available at most stores - kind of thin vanilla wafers.

Even though the food looks tasty, I'm not so impressed. It's sad that we need to turn to Rick Bayliss (gringo from Chicago) for truly authentic regional Mexican food.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2010 @ 10:26 PM

Thanks, osomarie. Yes. Of course, I've seen those cookies all the time in the grocery store.

I'm not sure what I expect from an authentic Mexican cooking show, but this isn't it. Like I mentioned before, Marcela was a judge on "Throwdown" where the dish was fish tacos. She seemed to be a real authority. Why not make an entree' like that?

The restauranteur who Bobby Flay challenged was great. He talked about when his family first moved from Mexico to California and ate at a "Mexican" restaurant and he was appalled. He explained how a fish taco was just fish and a coleslaw. (I shudder to think of the time Aunt Sandy made fish tacos and used allspice, taco seasoning, salsa and peaches in her tacos and slaw.)

He also listed some ingredients that should NOT be used in authentic Mexican cooking.

That is kind of what I expected from Marcela.

polpetti

polpetti

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2010 @ 10:49 PM

I spent this whole episode waiting for her boobs to fall out of that sprayed on purple top. I knew they were going to start slutting her up a la Rachel and Giada. I actually kind of like her show but if I have to keep waiting for nip slips, then I'll pass on any more.

I didn't know they still made Dream Whip. I'll bet there's a whole lot of people who never heard of it and were trying to figure out what she meant.

I don't know what kind of cutting board she's using but it sounds like she's cutting on marble and it's making me weep for her knives.

Hyper-green mint jelly is gross and I don't know what is Mexican about it. This episode was definitely a let down.

addicted_aardvark

addicted_aardvark

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2010 @ 1:57 AM

Also, the bending over and showing the cleavage.

This episode's purple get-up was a surprise after her fairly "normal" attire during the first 2 episodes. In addition to the result of the neckline when combined with cameras set much higher than normal people's eye level, I thought the cut of the top made her shoulders appear continually hunched.

In fact, I think the the cameras for her are even higher than those examining Giada's bosom.

I don't know what kind of cutting board she's using but it sounds like she's cutting on marble and it's making me weep for her knives.

I couldn't figure out whether the FN used foley artists on crack or just crappy sound guys. Actually, it wasn't just the EXTRA LOUD chopping of the carrot tops and such, but the almost silent finer chopping of the veg. Almost as if they had a different sound feed for different cameras.

He also listed some ingredients that should NOT be used in authentic Mexican cooking.

That is kind of what I expected from Marcela.

Given the YouTube clips from her other show, that's what I expected as well. She did a lot of explaining ingredient differences and grocery store substitutions. But maybe FN did the mutilation of her original premise, like they've done with TNFNS shows. Plus the over-"simplifying" they've been doing in general.

I do think, however, that her show is about more California-Mexican cooking than regional Mexican. Like a different regional Mexican-American. And given the comments about her recipes on the FN website, a lot of commenting viewers expected Tex-Mex. And am willing to give her a chance through the first series.

tvmovielover

tvmovielover

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2010 @ 7:41 AM

Cal-Mex is different from Tex-Mex and sometimes I prefer it (got tired of Tex-Mex after 20 years of it). Both are good for a hunger fix but neither beats real Mexican.

Maria cookies also often come in round packages but they are always round with scalloped edges as in the illustration above and often called "Galletas Maria" (I have seen them in other Latin American countries too). They are thinner and less sweet than our sugar cookies-something like an animal cracker in taste and texture.

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2010 @ 11:08 AM

I have to admit that I was also disappointed with yesterday's episode. Other than the fact that Marcela added chiles and the Maria cookies to the dishes, I'm not really sure what made the food Mexican.

Figures FN would decide that authentic Mexican cuisine would be too much for their "simple" audience to appreciate.

osomarie

osomarie

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2010 @ 11:24 AM

Well the name of the show IS Mexican Made Easy, so I guess she uses products that are readily available or familiar to most of the viewers and gives them a Mexican-ish flare? Fair enough.
And I'm sure that's a studio and the view from the window is fake (right?) - but can you imagine having kitchen with view like that?
*sigh*

But I still love Rick Bayliss best for giving more background on the foods, and for being more daring - heh, yesterday he tucked into some guacamole topped with grasshoppers (for crunch). I like the format of his show - you see him eating certain things at cafes or markets deep in Mexico, then he comes home and translates it for his own kitchen.

Edited by osomarie, Feb 7, 2010 @ 11:25 AM.