Hot in Cleveland

• Please log in to reply

1020 replies to this topic

JanLevinsonScot

JanLevinsonScot

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

I saw the episode airing this Wednesday, in advance, and it's AMAZING. Can't wait to read your reactions.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:02 PM

I heard that James Patrick Stuart will be back as Colin in this upcoming episode. I wonder what's going to happen with Colin's relationship with Joy. It seems as if the male guest stars make a few appearances as relationship potential, just for them to be written out.

Pause Button

Pause Button

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

The "Frasier" episode where Frasier, Niles, and Daphne, as well as a few others, have some zany romantic mix-ups, misunderstandings and hijinks at a ski lodge. James Patrick Stuart, who plays Colin the newscaster on "Hot In Cleveland," plays the French guy Guy here. He and Jane Leeves have a few brief scenes together. I forgot he was on this. This scene's hilarious.

I am thoroughly ashamed that I didn't even notice this until you pointed it out. I saw the episode with Colin several months ago but I didn't pick up on this. I LOVE that Ski Lodge episode from Frasier. I think what made him so different was the lack of a French accent. The accent he did for Guy the Gay Ski Instructor was mostly what made it so funny.

giovannif7

giovannif7

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 12:30 AM

"I can see that you're not some Happy Homemaker..."

Thank you writers - that's how you do a wink and a nod to previous characters and their history!

sigmagirl

sigmagirl

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

The initiation fee for Firestone Country Club was $20,000 in 2003, and that didn't include annual dues. The ladies had trouble coming up with the $5000 for the party; did they think it was free to join? I know it was called just "The Firestone Club," but I also know that Akron-born Rachel Sweet is an executive producer.

Maybe Jon Lovitz will pay all their dues. I could see more of him. Fiancee Fiancee Fiancee was funny.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

Maybe Jon Lovitz will pay all their dues. I could see more of him.

"I used to be poor and crazy. Now I'm rich and eccentric!"

They acted like they were going to attempt to start something with Colin and Joy just for it to end up the same old on again, off again mess. Sigh. I really liked the character in last week's episode (especially as his alter ego, Chuck).

Alex Borstein was funny. I haven't seen her since "MadTV" (though I know she voices Lois in "Family Guy"). Also liked seeing Ed Asner and was glad his character ended up not being a jerk.

I'd love for these women to do different things without attempting to meet men. What would these women do without men in their lives?

DXD562

DXD562

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 7:57 PM

Thank you writers - that's how you do a wink and a nod to previous characters and their history!

I also appreciated the nod to Betty's past, but was surprised that the line got virtually no response from the audience. Were they too young to remember Sue Ann Nivens?

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

I also appreciated the nod to Betty's past, but was surprised that the line got virtually no response from the audience. Were they too young to remember Sue Ann Nivens?

Ha, I'm 31, and I was all, "OMG! MTM shoutout!" Then again, I'm a total old-school geek who's watched all those '70s sitcoms over the years. I guess today's kids are too cool for that sort of thing.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 4:29 PM

I'd love for these women to do different things without attempting to meet men. What would these women do without men in their lives?

I agree, I thought the premise of the episode was going to be something a bit different. The original plot was really good, trying to get a sponsor to be a part of the club, the whole addition of them all trying to find a man to do it with was jarring. But the episode did have funny bits.

I too love Alex Bornstein, haven't seen her in forever. What I appreciate about this show is that I see people that I thought was no longer even on television anymore, although Morgan Fairchild doesn't look like she's even on this planet. She had a face that could age naturally beautifully (see Jaclyn Smith), but went and ruined it.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 5:24 PM

Not to mention, they seem to have sex with 99% of their dates, even if they JUST met them on that episode and we never see them again. I'm all for women having fun and enjoying their bodies and all that, but IMO there comes a point where they just come off as a little skanky, y'know? Not to mention (if it were real life, of course) that sort of behavior might be why they have so many problems with men; they jump right into bed with every guy they think is even remotely promising, then five minutes later find out he's Insert Horrible Quality, and they're back to square one.

JanLevinsonScot

JanLevinsonScot

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

SnarkySheep, that a pretty standard sitcom fare though, every sitcom that centers around single men or women has them having a bunch of random one night stands. Maybe it feels skankier because they're supposedly in their 40s, but this normal TV single life...

Edited by JanLevinsonScot, Mar 26, 2012 @ 5:52 PM.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 5:59 PM

Yeah, I know that's how they roll these days, and it's certainly not a commentary on their ages; but IMO it just seemed a bit more than other shows. I watch a lot of sitcoms, both current and past ones, and as much as I enjoy HIC, I did have to notice this bit...

JanLevinsonScot

JanLevinsonScot

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

Youre right, they don't seem to have any other plot line other than trying to hook up with men.
On a whole other note, this show has turned me on to Frasier, a brilliant show I never took the time to watch and I'm thoroughly enjoying me some Daphne Moon!

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 5:38 AM

You're right, they don't seem to have any other plot line other than trying to hook up with men.

Not to mention, they seem to have sex with 99% of their dates, even if they JUST met them on that episode and we never see them again. I'm all for women having fun and enjoying their bodies and all that, but IMO there comes a point where they just come off as a little skanky, y'know?

First off, hi JanLevinsonScot. Nice to see you outside of the 2 Broke Girls thread! ITA with both of these posts. While Hot in Cleveland has a variety of nice comedic moments, far too much of this show centers around the four leads trying to hook up with men. And as SnarkySheep pointed out, there certainly seems to be a lot of one night stands. At first I thought it was only Melanie, but now that I think of it, with the possible exception of Elka, they all seem to hop into the sack on the first date unless there is something wrong with a guy (e.g., "man boobs" or just paroled serial killer). IRL, they'd have quite the reputation around town. Going forward, I'd like to see the show deal with more diverse comedic storylines.

JanLevinsonScot

JanLevinsonScot

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 9:01 AM

Hi Winston! :-) I've become a sitcom junkie actually - short of Two and A half Men and Modern Family - both of which I simply couldnt get into - I'm basically watching/following very sitcom airing currently and commenting here on TWOP. My guilty pleasure! I need lots of laughter in my life, ha :D. It's a pity that TV Land has three hidden gems that no one seems to know about or care about (Happily Divorced, The Exes, and Hot in Cleveland). With a bit of tweaking all three of them could've made it big on one of the main channels. Oh well, at least we know these shows won't go anywhere soon since TV Land isn't in a ratings war and is happy with what they get. I don't have a TV and watch everythjng online, so I wish there were a ratings system for online viewing so these channels know we're watching....

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

Jan, if I recall correctly, TPTB do factor in online viewers these days, as well as those who record on their DVRs and watch later, etc. These days there are so many people who can't or simply don't want to watch shows live, perhaps because they're on some channel they don't have or else it's too late for them to want to sit up (in my case, both were the reason I watched The Exes online). So it's gotten to the point where if they only counted live viewers they would be seriously off in estimating the real numbers of viewers.

As for The Exes, I really enjoy the brief premiere season that just ended. I like Wayne Knight, and think his character there was pretty much the same as the one here on HIC...actually, he's essentially been the same character in everything I've seen him in to date. I really wish he'd been on this show more, but it's understandable, with his having gotten a lead role on the other sitcom.

JanLevinsonScot

JanLevinsonScot

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 10:03 AM

I loved seeing Donald Faison again as well as the actress who plays Holly. David Alan Basche comes off as poor man's Ted Moseby, but I find him endearing. can't wait for the next season. Oops, we're off topic here...

Edited by JanLevinsonScot, Mar 27, 2012 @ 10:03 AM.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

The thread for "The Exes" is here if you wanted to continue the conversation there. It got buried when its first season ended.

It's funny how "Hot In Cleveland" is supposed to be similar to/inspired by "The Golden Girls," but even the Golden Girls had very fulfilling lives that didn't revolve solely around men.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 6:56 AM

It's funny how "Hot In Cleveland" is supposed to be similar to/inspired by "The Golden Girls," but even the Golden Girls had very fulfilling lives that didn't revolve solely around men.

You know, I didn't think of that -- I usually just take this show for what it's worth, i.e. an amusing bit of comedy not too be taken too seriously or overanalyzed. But now that you mention it, it's totally true. The Golden Girls certainly had their share of man issues, but they did also do other things that had nothing to do them, too. All four of them were quite involved in volunteer work -- and not just for a single episode, with the primary goal of meeting new men -- they were close to various family members, etc.

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 7:37 AM

Hi Winston! :-) I've become a sitcom junkie actually - short of Two and A half Men and Modern Family - both of which I simply couldnt get into - I'm basically watching/following very sitcom airing currently and commenting here on TWOP. My guilty pleasure! I need lots of laughter in my life, ha :D.

Hey Jan! :o) Same here, sit-coms have always been a big part of my life, and we need to laugh now more than ever these days. Thing is, nobody else I know is really into sit-coms, so the TWoP forums are near and dear to my heart.

And even when one of them has an outside interest that is even remotely interesting - like when Melanie decides to become a Blogger - it always has to come back to the same topic, men. There were literally millions of other things should could have chosen to blog about, but the writers wanted to do a geriatric "Sex in the City" episode. Heh, that line pretty much sums up the whole show, doesn't it?

Edited by Winston Wolfe, Mar 28, 2012 @ 7:39 AM.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 8:07 AM

the writers wanted to do a geriatric "Sex in the City" episode. Heh, that line pretty much sums up the whole show, doesn't it?

That's a pretty good line to describe the show, it's certainly entertaining, but I was also hoping for a more "Golden Girls" type of sitcom, since this is a little bit too sliding on "Sex in the City". Very much like last episode, they always start off with a good premise to go somewhere and find the funny (and they still get to the funny), but having men problem is becoming a trait of this show.

Though we do see family problems, (Emmy and Melanie's son), all the girls' parents, Susan Lucci.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

Though we do see family problems, (Emmy and Melanie's son), all the girls' parents

That's true, but IMO on GG, there was more closeness between the family members. Even if they fought or had issues, the family relationship always prevailed in the end...for instance, Dorothy and Sophia. Everything we've seen to date on HIC seems to imply that the women are fairly estranged from and a bit disconnected from many of their relatives. Remember the episode with all the mothers? Then we've got Emmy, who seems quite angry at her mother and her upbringing, and certainly there's Victoria herself, who has several times forgotten how many children she has (yes, it's played as a joke, but still...) Elka's husband is dead, and certainly her parents, heh, but doesn't she have anyone at all? She has never mentioned it. Of all of them, Melanie is probably the only one who seems to have a healthy relationship with her kids.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 4:21 PM

That's true, but IMO on GG, there was more closeness between the family members.

I just had such a hard time to believe any of that on GG, honestly, each and every single one of the children/grandchildren on that show was such a giant A-hole. It was hard to even believe that would even be reality.

One of the main problems I have with this show is of course the "finding a man everywhere we go, even in the bathroom" is starting to make them all too similar because it's such a prominent feature that they share, now it's hard to recognize what their original personality was. Because they all play Blanche (except Betty). On GG, they were much much more diverse in their characters.

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

I like that in his reading he didn't underline the line and put it in boldface italics. He said it pretty much exactly the way he'd say it if Betty White hadn't been the Happy Homemaker. That's the only way those lines have a prayer of being amusing.

In other news, I can't get enough of Jane Leeves.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 9:42 AM

Georgette! Rick Springfield as Not Rick Springfield! I enjoyed both of them.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 7:51 PM

I was wondering what else Craig Bierko (who played Melanie's pretentious date) was in because he looked familiar to me, so I looked him up on IMDb. He was in a short-lived show called "Sydney" in the '90s with Valerie Bertinelli and Matthew Perry. When trying to find the show on YouTube, I instead found a video of Valerie on Arsenio, with the "Sydney" cast in the audience. They show a clip of Valerie and Craig together, too.

Part 1, Part 2

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 1:19 AM

I remember him from the first Bourne Identity, aka The Long Kiss Goodnight.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 2:17 AM

Georgia Engel is still adorable. I swear I thought Betty was beaming for real at the beginning when she said, " You guys remember my friend." I could totally tell that they were loving working together again. And I remember they also co-starred on "The Betty White Show" after MTM.

whee whee piggy

whee whee piggy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 5:11 AM

Perhaps I'm just making excuses for the show because I enjoy it, but I don't get the sense that the women are going after men to 'complete them' or get married, but that they want to get laid!

Although Elka got the altar last season, she was reluctant, and Joy's whole obsession with men are triggered by her bad experience with being engaged. Victoria lost Huey Lewis because she wouldn't commit to a real relationship. Even Melanie, who seems like your classic homebody, doesn't seem that intent on a long-term relationship after the first season.

I never watched Sex and the City (and you can't make me) but I assume getting laid was their objective too, but it just seems like a very different scenario.

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:30 AM

whee whee piggy
I never watched Sex and the City (and you can't make me) but I assume getting laid was their objective too, but it just seems like a very different scenario.

In both shows, each character had a slightly different motivation. In SATC, I think both Carrie and Charlotte were looking for "Mr. Right," but weren't exactly adverse to having a lot of fun along the way. There HOC counterparts would be Joy and Melanie. In SATC, Miranda was torn between her career and finding a soulmate, her HOC counterpart would be Victoria. On both shows, neither Elka or Samantha seem to be that obsessed in finding a mate (they'd certainly get married if they found the right guy), but are clearly more focused on the short-term goal of getting laid.