Star Trek Into Darkness (Movie Spec, Spoilers, and Spock): Once More Unto the Breeched Timeline

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

86 replies to this topic

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2012 @ 9:03 AM

Oh, my. Benedict Cumberbatch

I was just coming in to post that. They've also cast Mickey from Doctor Who (Noel Clarke).

This being the Abrams/Damon Lindelof/Roberto Orci/Alex Kurtzman Trek universe, both actors' exact roles are being kept a secret for now. Variety was able to dig up, however, that Clarke is playing a family man with a wife and young daughter and The Hollywood Reporter has it that Cumberbatch will slip into the role of the villain that Benicio Del Toro was being courted for.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2012 @ 1:16 PM

So, 3D (ick but optional), and people I like and know from other works (yay).

Brave Sir Robin

Brave Sir Robin

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 5, 2012 @ 7:29 PM

Brilliant! Another British hottie for a bad guy. I still swoon over Tom Hardy.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

The 3D was mandated by the studio, according to JJ but:

“We actually converted a bunch of the original movie [to 3-D], which looked really good,” Abrams told reporters today. “That was the thing which made me think it would be okay.” Abrams says he wanted to shoot the movie on celluloid film in the anamorphic format, like he did with his first Trek film, “and you can’t shoot 3-D in anamorphic. I didn’t want to shoot it digitally.…I wanted it to match the look of the first and shoot it anamorphically. Then I saw the first movie converted; it was actually really cool. So I was okay with [converting the film to 3-D], as long as I could shoot it the way I wanted to.”

Also, Nazneen Contractor has been cast as Noel Clarke's character's wife. Apparently, she's best known for a season of 24 I didn't watch.

chancellorjake

chancellorjake

Fanatic

• Interests:I love most forms of Sci-Fi including Star Trek (especially DS9), Stargate, and BSG. I'm, also, a fan of quality cartoons including Archer, Venture Brothers, Frisky Dingo, Kim Possible, and the returned Futurama.

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

A set video filmed by Simon Pegg and Karl Urban. The video has nothing to do with Trek. I'm guessing it has something about Urban's upcoming role in the Judge Dredd reboot. You can see Urban wearing McCoy's blue tunic under his jacket, though.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 10:52 PM

MTV have a couple of picture of the set of the new movie.

http://moviesblog.mt..... Movies Blog)

A couple more set photos.

Kuranda

Kuranda

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

They are saying those pictures were a leak, not official. Still I couldn't help but look.

Three thoughts: Spoilers! They're awesome! I love you Benedict!

So did I also hear that there will be some sequences shot for Imax? Now THAT I can get behind. 3-D = meh.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 9:05 AM

They say it's going to be post converted to 3D so I doubt they'd bother with the headache that is shooting in IMAX. If they were, I'd guess they'd brag about it as often as they could.

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

so I doubt they'd bother with the headache that is shooting in IMAX.

In one of the "leaked" behind the scenes pics you can see the word MAX on one of the cameras in what looks to be the IMAX logo font. Of course I could be mistake on the font and the word "max" on its own could mean something different in camera terms. But yes it is highly unlikely they would shoot the whole film in IMAX format if they are using it at all, because of all the headaches as you mentioned. Aspect ratio (and picture quality) changing throughout films is off putting for me, so I wont go to IMAX especially for it. The only time i did for a film with a few IMAX scenes was Transformers 2 as the allure of a "to-scale" Optimus Prime in the forest fight was to much too resist.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 1:23 PM

I saw The Dark Knight, Tron Legacy, and MI:4 Ghost Protocol all in an IMAX theater and the changes in aspect ratio were hardly noticeable to me. If they do film some scenes in IMAX, I will definitely go out of my way to watch it in a real IMAX theater the experience is worth it I think.

nelamm

nelamm

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 4:10 AM

But they probably didn't film those in IMAX, though.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 1:20 AM

Actually they did, at least for some scenes. The best was definitely MI:4. The entire Dubai building scene was in full IMAX goodness.

chancellorjake

chancellorjake

Fanatic

• Interests:I love most forms of Sci-Fi including Star Trek (especially DS9), Stargate, and BSG. I'm, also, a fan of quality cartoons including Archer, Venture Brothers, Frisky Dingo, Kim Possible, and the returned Futurama.

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

Massive Spoilers for next year's film. Very excited to get all this info at once. The second one really isn't that big of a spoiler if you've been paying attention to early casting attempts, but the first one is very big. I'm really pleased and excited. Though, based on the freaking out in the comments section, I may be the only one.

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:32 AM

You're not the only one. I think it's a smoke screen because it's just too easy. In case, it doesn't matter because I really can't wait to see what they come up with. Hopefully there will be less lens flare.

chancellorjake

chancellorjake

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 3:16 PM

New spoilers. Is Karl Urban playing with us, or did he just drop a big story change from previous updates?

Cumberbatch as Gary Mitchell?

Personally, I think this would be much better than the Cumberbatch is Khan spoilers.

Irish Wolf

Irish Wolf

Fanatic

• Interests:SF (especially Star Trek and its various incarnations, and the new, good Battlestar Galactica), and Autism Activism ("Aut Disce, Aut Discede", y'all!).

Posted Jul 25, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

I like the suggestion by one commenter on that story that each cast member, in an interview, should "let slip" that Cumberbatch is playing a different classic character. "I think Benedict's portrayal of a Horta will set a new standard!" "And nobody's ever going to guess Cumberbatch playing Koloth." "Nobody's ever tried playing the Doomsday Machine as a humanoid before..." :)

chancellorjake

chancellorjake

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 12:00 AM

Star Trek Into Darkness

We have a title for the sequel. It does not include a colon like at the previous sequels.
I think it is a little odd and doesn't roll off the tongue very well. It will probably grow on me.

Should we ask a moderator to change the title of this thread.

Lebanna

Lebanna

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 11:36 AM

Yes, if it is the real title (they've still got a few months to change it, or at least the punctuation, hopefully) it would be so much better with the colon. I can kind of see what they're getting at with it this way - bringing back the actual meaning of the title 'Star Trek' as in 'wandering through the stars', in this case to somewhere, er, dark, I guess.

It is a bit odd, though. I'll have to try to keep remembering to put the emphasis on the 'Star' and not the 'Trek', because that way it sounds like nonsense.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Oct 5, 2012 @ 8:13 AM

JJ was on Conan last night and shared 3 frames from the new movie. The clip and a still are here.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 5:38 AM

The first 9 minutes of the next movie will be in theaters December 14th, in front of The Hobbit. IMAX 3D only though.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

I would really like to see Gary Mitchell and even Carol Marcus in the next movie. Maybe even Janice Rand?

ETA- just found this:

Rumors - Cumberbatch is Gary Mitchell

Edited by Runningwild, Nov 17, 2012 @ 2:59 PM.

chancellorjake

chancellorjake

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

Sounds like the villain will be Gary Mitchell.
Can't think of who else could fill in the details in the official synopsis.

belsum

belsum

Stalker

• Interests:Jigsaw puzzles, foreign languages (real and fake), reading, making costumes, popcorn, pirates, road trips

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 7:49 PM

"Detonated" strikes me as a very odd choice of words in reference to the fleet. I'm sure it's intentional though and meant to mislead.

chancellorjake

chancellorjake

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 2:06 PM

I don't know how I feel about this poster.

The city in the background is London.

Lebanna

Lebanna

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

I was trying to remember whether anyone in any of the crews, or any of their their stated ancestors or relatives was from London - and as far as I remember none of them were - the British characters were all from other areas or we never knew exactly where in the UK they grew up. In fact the only possible Star Trek connection with the city I can think of was the London Kings baseball team in DS9.

So it won't make a difference to the continuity if it gets totally blown to pieces, and it's interesting to see something new. I like that the London Eye seems to still be up.

It possibly also implies that the Cumberbatch may not be bothering with faking an accent. I'm pretty sure Gary Mitchell was American last time, although his parents could easily have moved to the UK. As for Khan... I think this makes that pretty unlikely. A well-known, iconic character like that would have to have some back-story related to this, and what connection did he have with London?

Edited by Lebanna, Dec 3, 2012 @ 7:06 PM.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

Entertainment Weekly lists 4 Surprising Things about the poster.

The most surprising thing to me is that they don't even mention Gary Mitchell which I'd thought was one of the more common rumors at this point.

Edited by akg, Dec 4, 2012 @ 12:49 PM.

Irish Wolf

Irish Wolf

Fanatic

• Interests:SF (especially Star Trek and its various incarnations, and the new, good Battlestar Galactica), and Autism Activism ("Aut Disce, Aut Discede", y'all!).

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

I took a brief glance at the comments on the article, and am amused by the number of people who are absolutely certain they know who that is (especially the ones who are certain it's Khan - even though Cumberbatch is entirely the wrong ethnicity for someone named Khan Noonien Singh).

I'm betting it's a completely new character, personally, probably someone tied with the human-supremacy group Terra Firma (introduced to Trek canon in the last season of Enterprise), and the rumors are part of a disinformation campaign.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 6:47 AM

According to Simon Pegg's twitter (which I can see in google reader at work but can't open to link directly to), the first preview will be available online sometime tomorrow.

And it's up! I watched it very quickly before coming into work this morning (after downloading quicktime) so don't have much to say yet (didn't even really notice if Sherlock is using his real accent. He does have a line about being back for revenge which would support the Khan theory). I do wish it were longer. And that it were a lot closer to next May.

Edited by akg, Dec 6, 2012 @ 6:47 AM.

Lebanna

Lebanna

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 8:46 AM

The Japanese trailer is the same... until the last twenty or so seconds. They've added a little emotional moment onto the end which is pretty surprising and obvious at the same time. And very, very sweet.

chancellorjake

chancellorjake

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 5:41 PM

This looks incredible. There are Klingons in masks, lava planets, and starships crashing into cities.
Benny Cumberbatch is using a distinct accent which I think rules out Gary Mitchell, but he still shouldn't be Khan Noonian Singh as he looks nothing like an augment from the Indian subcontinent. I will say that Alice Eve looks an awful lot like Dr. Elizabeth Denher.

Here is a breakdown of the extended Japanese trailer. The reviewers are now convinced that Benny is playing Khan. The extra ending on the trailer is a total giveaway. If they go that same route I would be highly annoyed. I really don't want to see a reshaping of TWoK.