Republic of Doyle

• Please log in to reply

373 replies to this topic

Bohemian Taco

Bohemian Taco

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:57 AM

Found this article on CBC.ca - as of April 5, Alan Hawco didn't know.

Wow, I can't believe the amount of hate most of those people commenting have for this show. In fact, I can't believe the general amount of hate AND the complete and utter lack of people talking about this show in general. I'm new to the show/late to the party, so maybe my opinion isn't as valid, but I don't think a lot of people really get the tone of this show. There seem to be an awful lot of people who have decided what kind of a show it is and complaining about the lack of realism. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it was meant to be a silly little hot mess of a show? I have no problem suspending my disbelief for fun. I can't help but compare this show to USA network's Psych (in fact, in an attempt to describe this show to my two favorite TV-lover friends, I described it as basically what Psych would be if Shawn and Henry Spencer ran around being PIs). Both shows are primarily action-comedy with the dash of drama every now and then, delightful characters, recurring 'bad' guys, and a PI-cop unrequited romance, complete with cute blonde detective (with a surly partner in tow).

But enough about that, Republic of Doyle is great. I watched a few episodes in season 2 here and there but I didn't pick it up officially until episode 2 of this season and they still haven't left my DVR. I often find myself rewinding scenes to catch fun lines a second time around.

I gotta say, though, it really blows watching shows that NOBODY else is watching. When the finale rolled around and the GTO blew up then Des (DES!)... Oh man, I actually yelled and then really wished I had a viewing companion to be outraged with me that we have to wait until next year to see this resolved. I suppose that's the effect of not only being the biggest TV freak you know, but also picking a show on the CBC to obsess over. If I have my way I will make sure at least ONE other person I know has heard of this show before next season...

trudyj

trudyj

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:08 AM

The one place where everyone IS watching it is in Newfoundland ... it's an ongoing joke that there's no point planning anything on a Wednesday night because everyone will be watching Doyle ... and I think there's been some backlash against it here this season because while people love it for the local colour, some people expect the show to be more than it is.

I am also willing to suspend disbelief but there have been times this season (like the episode where Jake was on jury duty) where the amount of disbelief that had to be suspended was just ridiculous ... and some people are getting tired of the Jake/Leslie UST ... but that happens on almost every show.

I think the Psych comparison is very appropriate -- the show Doyle most often gets compared to is the Rockford Files, but of current shows, Psych is the closest parallel -- however when I say that to most people here I find most of them have never seen Psych.

I hope we hear soon whether there'll be a season 4 ... I think the next round of news about CBC cuts and what the impact will be on television shows, is due next week. Normally when a key character gets shot in a season finale, I feel like it's fake tension because you know they're not going to kill off a major cast member (like Beckett getting shot in the last season's Castle finale). But in this case, because of the budget cuts, I do have some real suspense about Des. I figure if the series doesn't get renewed, we can say that Stephen Harper killed Des. Because I need one more thing to blame him for.

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:54 PM

I don't expect realism from RoD. I expect to be entertained and I always am. So, if Des dies because of the budget cuts, I know where the blame will go.

Other than that, I agree that the writing needs some tightening. But mostly I don't care. The acting is fantastic even if the plot is often ridiculous. The one thing I really want them to change is Leslie's repetitive admonishing of Jake. It got old a long time ago.

mledawn

mledawn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

Allan has been tweeting that they won't know if the show is renewed or cancelled until May 10th. They have no indication - good or bad - either way, at this point.

Bohemian Taco, I won't read article comments as a rule, because most comments are negative regardless of the article's content, but the numbers have been very good throughout the season. From what I understand, between Arctic Air, Dragon's Den (which I cannot stand), and RoD, the CBC has had record numbers (over 1M per episode average). If viewership = money, then logic would dictate that the show would be renewed.

There was also some talk about reducing the number of episodes as a cost-saving measure. That would be disappointing as it's a short season to begin with, but if it means the show stays, then I'll take it.

My mother loves RoD and will call me or email me following the episode to squee or complain, and I have some folks at work who also watch. Plus there are the troops here at TWOP who will reminisce. Yes, I do wish more people I knew watched the show, but as long as enough people in Canada are watching to keep it on the air, I'm happy.

Edited to add this:
I enjoy the add-ons that CBC has at the website. Here is an interactive map of famous St John's locations in the show, and some commentaries by cast and crew.

Edited by mledawn, Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:06 PM.

Bohemian Taco

Bohemian Taco

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:50 PM

I really don't think the show will kill Des. It would just completely kill the tone of the entire show to do something that drastic. There are murders on RoD, yes, but they've never killed off a recurring character much less a main one. Much less a kid. Much less a kid as popular with audiences as Des. Just seems a bit much for their first foray into murdering characters.

The one thing I really want them to change is Leslie's repetitive admonishing of Jake. It got old a long time ago.

Yeah... I gotta say something about this too, though I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion. Let me start by saying that Krystin Pellerin is lovely and I find Leslie appealing, but... she has got to be the most boring character on television. She literally has no personality outside of police work and busting Jake's balls. What does he even see in her besides a pretty face? I get that some people are married to the job but we've got to have a little more if we're to be expected to root for this character, even just as a love interest. When they demoted her last year I half expected her to go on a little journey of self-discovery and maybe give us some hints as to what she does in her free time but nope, right back to the job, right back to being a buzzkill. This is a quirky show, give the girl some quirk already. She deserves it and so does Jake.

RBK Premier

RBK Premier

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

CBC would be stupid to cancel Republic of Doyle it's thier highest-rated show. Cutbacks have to be made the geesh don't cut your cash cow.

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

I wish, more then anything, that Canada had adopted the BBC funding model back in the day. The BBC has had stable funding from Day 1 due to the television license scheme, and I would love if we had that for the CBC. I like the option of seeing Canadian stories, and Global & CTV just don't cut it. (Mind you, I really like Flashpoint, and enjoy Rookie Blue.)

I enjoyed this season of RoD, and look forward to the next. (I refuse to contemplate a funding-related cancellation.) At the moment I'm especially looking forward to how Tinny will react to Des' shooting.

mledawn

mledawn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

It's official - the show has been renewed for Season 4!

The "more details on May 10th" part is sketchy, though. Fewer episodes?

How Canadian am I, waiting for the shoe to drop?!

Good job, Allan and Perry and everyone on the show!!

Edited by mledawn, Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:41 AM.

Bohemian Taco

Bohemian Taco

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

Yay! Thank goodness for the renewal news. I was really starting to worry a little but this made my day. Now if only we could find out whether a certain junior PI will be back in top form...

As far as 'on-the-bubble shows I adore being renewed for new seasons' are concerned, this makes 1 down, 4 to go for me...

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

Thanks, mledawn, for bringing us this good news!

I do hope they improve things for Season 4...maybe get a season long arc going; have Leslie be less of tightass; have Jake be punched out fewer times; definitely have Des survive and be okay; wrap things up nicely for the end of the season, just in case there isn't a Season 5. I never did like cliffhanger endings for shows, even when I knew they were coming back. And then sometimes they don't come back after a cliffhanger - I'm looking at you, Angel!

I'd love to hear everyone else's ideas on improving the show, or opinions on why it doesn't need changing.

Bohemian Taco, what other shows are you waiting to hear about? Two of my favourites, Person of Interest and Grimm, have been renewed. Prime Suspect was another favourite but it was cancelled fairly early on. So I was only really waiting for RoD news.

Edited by Trey, Apr 20, 2012 @ 6:24 PM.

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

Yay for the renewal! Now, the big question: Will the budget cuts have an effect anyways? (Fewer episodes, less budget per episode...)

Bohemian Taco

Bohemian Taco

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 12:06 AM

what other shows are you waiting to hear about? Two of my favourites, Person of Interest and Grimm, have been renewed.

I am also pleased about Grimm :) I'm waiting to hear about Community and Parks and Recreation, though I am not too worried about them most days. Harry's Law is another, though I'm not terribly in love with that one and if it gets cancelled this year I'll be neither devastated or surprised. My 'long shot' show is Breakout Kings, because I adore it, but it's chances are pretty bad.

I can't wait until we get more news on RoD. I hope budget cuts don't restrain the number of episodes, but maybe they'll compromise by blowing up fewer cars next year? And I am all for mellowing out Leslie (and giving her a personality). Let's also never see Nikki again and bring on more Walter instead.

Edit: Does anyone know any more details yet? Weren't we supposed to get some information May 10th? I wonder what happened to that...

Edited by Bohemian Taco, May 14, 2012 @ 12:21 PM.

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

I posed the question of episode orders (see the comments section) to Bill Brioux, who has a good track record of knowing what's what in Canadian tv. He tells me that RoD is getting a full 13 episode season, so yay!

December13

December13

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

caper24
Moriarty face activate: "Know this. If you are lying to me, I will find you, and I will sssssskin you!"

Edited by December13, May 21, 2012 @ 1:42 PM.

Bohemian Taco

Bohemian Taco

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 9:03 AM

That's good to hear. I was starting to wonder why we hadn't heard any more information. Didn't they say they had more info they were going to reveal last month? Then they never did...

Wish we could have a clue about the start date. This wait is killing me.

mledawn

mledawn

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 5:26 PM

Bohemian Taco - full 13 episodes for the season, to start in January.

I think they thought either there would be more coverage from CBC at the May 10th launch, or that there might've been restrictions.

I'm hoping to be out in Newfoundland this summer, maybe I'll creep some shooting locales!

mledawn

mledawn

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 7:50 PM

Finally, word from the set - nothing specific, but Allan Hawco filmed a little blurb for the RoD facebook page. I have no idea how to link it here, perhaps this will work... They just started filming S4 so here's hoping he'll have some teaser postings for the fans like last year.

There have been some jokes on Twitter about how Allan will be short of temper because he's not been eating carbs for the last month, which I guess indicates Shirtless!Jake will make an appearance, again. No problems with that, myself.

Also on Twitter, Allan put out an all-call for story and guest star suggestions. The #1 requested guest star was Nathan Fillion. I posted it in the Castle thread and forgot to put it here, where people would actually know what I'm talking about!

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

OK... I think my head just exploded from the notion of Allan and Nathan playing off of each other. Throw in Sean... comedy gold.

December13

December13

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

Republic of Doyle cast like cartoon characters.

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2012 @ 6:14 PM

That was a funny caricature. Thanks for sharing.

mledawn

mledawn

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

Allan said he'd be availible on Twitter today for questions about Season Four, just no spoilers.

People mostly asked about guest stars and he wasn't giving anything away other than Scott Grimes and Alan Doyle are filming RoD right now. He also wouldn't say if Jake fixes the GTO, or if Des is alright, but I think we can safely assume those two concerns are non-concerns.

There are "issues" with the Season Three DVDs but he hopes they'll be out around November. He's trying to get RoD on iTunes for the US audience, but "it's complicated"

There will be some of Leslie's backstory developed this year

Allan also said that Leslie is Jake's true love but that he'll also always love Nikki.

Alan and Allan presented the Album of the Year at the Canadian Country Music Awards last night - not much banter, just presenting the award. I noticed Allan's wedding ring, which for some reason I found just so cute.

I can't wait til January!

December13

December13

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2012 @ 6:16 PM

I noticed Allan's wedding ring

Wait, Hawco is married?! Not that it changes anything. It's just that I have never heard of it, before... Knew he had red belt in Taekwon Do, or so I read somewhere.

mledawn

mledawn

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

Yeah, they were married around Christmastime last year.

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

I hadn't heard that Allan was married. Ms. Stokes is lovely... I've always had a weakness for redheads. That's cool. I'm happily married myself, so I always get a kick out of hearing that people have tied the knot.

You know, Jake can always love Nikki. That's fine. As long as he realizes he's not in love with her. And avoids the sex. :-D

mledawn

mledawn

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 8:08 AM

Allan just posted an update on the Republic of Doyle facebook page. Is fb considered mainstream media? I'm not sure so I'll spoiler tag the comments. Not much to spoil as Allan is not a fan of spoilers himself, but a few hints.

Few things/ hints for you about what to expect:

Spoiler

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 4:10 PM

Interesting. Very interesting. Most of the info is in points 2 & 5. Really glad to hear about point 2... not sure what point 5 will involve.

Can it be January already? January brings new Doyle and new Murdoch Mysteries.

mledawn

mledawn

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

Allan was in Toronto this past week for a variety of functions, not the least of which was presenting the Giller Prize (broadcast on CBC).

He tweeted today that everywhere he went, at least one person asked him if the show was cancelled and he reminded everyone it was a January premiere. I think that's a great indication that there are fans of the show eagerly anticipating Season 4. CBC is really hurting with the relative failure of "Dorothy" and the complete absence of "Hockey Night in Canada"

mledawn

mledawn

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 5:40 PM

Some old-school Allan to tide you over - from before he was staying away from the carbs.

Great Big Sea - "Clearest Indication" video from 2002ish

December13

December13

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

Some old-school Allan to tide you over - from before he was staying away from the carbs.

And comb... heh, his hair is so curly.

mledawn

mledawn

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 4:21 PM

Posted to the RoD facebook page:

It's official! Republic of Doyle Season 3 will be released on DVD in one week! Look for it in stores on Tuesday, November 20, 2012!