Worst Cooks in America

• Please log in to reply

1706 replies to this topic

FigLover

FigLover

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 9:48 AM

Although I've watched a couple previous seasons of this show, I can't remember whether or not in this final round they'd had the mentors standing right beside the finalists as they cooked their final meal, and literally telling them what to do every step of the way.  Maybe they did, but it still surprised me that even though in every other round leading up to the finale, the mentors would first show the contestants how to make a dish, then they would leave the "worst cooks" to make it on their own, which seemed like a fair test of how well they'd learned how to cook something.  Thus, following in the pattern of the testing the contestants throughout this season, a true final test would have involved them attempting to cook their final meals for the outside judges with NO mentors present to tell them what to do.  

So this final round seems like a poor test of the finalists skills when the mentors were instructing them the entire time while they made their meals.  The finalists basically then end up being robots for the mentor's vision and execution of their meals.  The main thing that really gets tested is the finalists' palates, since the mentors can't taste the seasoning of the food, but they can assess the timing and eyeball the doneness of the components, the accuracy of the plating, mixing, cutting, etc., and (re)direct their mentees accordingly.

But even though Bobby and Anne were telling them exactly what to do, both finalists were still choking somewhat (Jaime cutting himself twice; Amber and her troubles with her pie crust.) Though certainly they were nervous - a lot of money was on the line.  But am I still supposed to be impressed with them now for being decent voice activated robots?  Nope, sorry.  They should be made to prove in the final round that they can cook WITHOUT the mentors telling them exactly what to do and when to do it.  The training wheels should be off at this point.  So in all, I ended up not caring who was chosen as the winner, because neither seemed to be able to do without their mentor's constant instruction..

Edited by FigLover, Apr 1, 2014 @ 2:48 PM.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 1:14 PM

"Chef Y took more risks" doesn't say anything about the cooking.

While it does say more about Bobby than Amber, I also think it's a valid deciding factor under these circumstances: they both did a great job, and since Amber did a great job on something that's harder to do, she edges him out.

Unless they have the finalists cook the same three dishes, the menu choice - which, of course, is the chef's, not the contestant's - will always play a role, even if not so explicitly as it did here. 

I only watch the final episode each season, so I never know the trajectory or personality of the contestants.  I just can't handle the "I'm playing a character in the hopes of becoming a professional reality TV star" nature of the show, but I like Anne and Bobby - not to mention food - so I like to see the final meal.

Regarding Amber's tattoos as they relate to her finances, no tattoo artist I know (which, admittedly, is only a few) has ever paid a dime for their own tattoos; they've all been done in trade.

Edited by Bastet Esq, Apr 1, 2014 @ 1:14 PM.

Mz Anthrope

Mz Anthrope

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 2:01 PM

While it does say more about Bobby than Amber, I also think it's a valid deciding factor under these circumstances: they both did a great job, and since Amber did a great job on something that's harder to do, she edges him out.

I agree with this as Bobby and Anne are competing as well.  They are the ones who have to create the finalist on their teams and have them compete *for* them.  I wasn't originally on this same boat, but in thinking about it and reading others' posts, it really isn't just Jamie and Amber - it's also Bobby and Anne competing. 

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 2:14 PM

Amber is a tattoo artist. 

How does she tattoo people with those nails?

Though certainly they were nervous - a lot of money was on the line. 

It's only $25,000.00 which is a nice chunk of change, but compared to other shows, not that much. Plus, that's before taxes.

bibicat12

bibicat12

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 7:09 PM

Wow I completely forgot this show was on. I watched a few episodes and was bored to tears. Yawn fest. The nail/tattoo girl skeeved me out and I couldn't imagine eating for she made with those nails. I'm frankly surprised that they let her compete with nails like that. I don't care if she polished them under the nail or not..... I start retching when I think what is still under those fingernails. Couldn't she wear gloves or something while she was cooking?

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 1:05 AM

It's totally unsanitary, those nails.  Yes, they make gloves impossible.  Which is whacked out.

Know what else is whacked out (and dangerous)?  Bobby Flay bandaging someone with cuts on their hands, who then clearly handles food with no gloves.

The fuck?  

Mz Anthrope

Mz Anthrope

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 6:20 AM

Know what else is whacked out (and dangerous)?  Bobby Flay bandaging someone with cuts on their hands, who then clearly handles food with no gloves.

I think that was Anne doing that for Jamie.  I could be mistaken, however :-)

DrogosHorse

DrogosHorse

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 1:09 PM

Why was Anne throwing so much shade at Amber while she was at the broiler?  She didn't do this to Alina last season.

schnauzergirl

schnauzergirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 1:21 PM

I would like to see all the past winners return and show us how they're doing.  Not a competition, which means FN wouldn't be interested since that's its life blood, but some kind of catch-up.  Maybe the week before the competition starts?

Edited by schnauzergirl, Apr 2, 2014 @ 1:21 PM.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 4:44 PM

I think that was Anne doing that for Jamie.  I could be mistaken, however :-)

Correct.  I had a brain fart (and am inclined to blame Bobby for everything bad no matter what).

Still, the fault is the shows.  Its ludicrous they weren't wearing gloves anyway.  The SAME network makes a huge deal over blood potentially contaminating food on Chopped too.

DrogosHorse

DrogosHorse

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2014 @ 7:50 AM

I'm still baffled that Bobby Flay is married to the beautiful Alex Cabot from Law & Order: SVU

She must really love food. 

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2014 @ 8:20 AM

I'm still baffled that Bobby Flay is married to the beautiful Alex Cabot from Law & Order: SVU

She must really love food. 

Oh, she does. Bobby has mentioned on his show(s) on more than one occasion that she is the only person he knows who plans what they're going to eat 3 days ahead. When she was on his show once and he mentioned it, she confirmed it was true.

I was disappointed Jaime didn't win. I didn't care for Amber. Between the blue hair, fuggly nails, and tattoos - ugh. But that's my personal prejudice showing. At least Jaime, and probably everyone else, is more comfortable trying to cook.

Mz Anthrope

Mz Anthrope

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2014 @ 10:48 AM

Still, the fault is the shows.  Its ludicrous they weren't wearing gloves anyway.  The SAME network makes a huge deal over blood potentially contaminating food on Chopped too.

Kromm - agree completely.  FN has a TON of double-standards.  I don't recall exactly - could have been a Bravo.tv food competition - where they made the chef either wear a beard guard, have some outrageous hair, jewelry (ears) or something and told them a real chef couldn't have certain things (types of shoes, etc) and pass health inspection? 

When I ran my Cafe, everyone had to be able to put on food prep gloves ANY time they handled anything more than what it took to create something with espresso, but that they were unable to wear anything that exposed any part of their feet (nothing open toed or heeled).  They also always had to have their hair back and up regardless of gender.  The health inspector was very pleased to see how attentive (as he said) "without even thinking" the staff was. 

I honestly can't see much of what they allow within a 'chef competition' that they wouldn't dare allow in their own kitchens.  Shenanigans, I say.

NikSac

NikSac

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2014 @ 5:17 PM

Re: Anne bandaging up Jaime's hand twice, it looked like he already had a bandaid on when they started - so unless the editing timeline was wonky, I think he actually cut himself 3 times in that competition.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2014 @ 9:27 PM

Re: Anne bandaging up Jaime's hand twice, it looked like he already had a bandaid on when they started - so unless the editing timeline was wonky, I think he actually cut himself 3 times in that competition.

And didn't get gloves any of them, as far as we saw.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2014 @ 11:55 AM

Those long spider nails creeped me out. No way would I want her cooking my food, but for TV I guess it doesn't matter. I liked Jamie a lot. I hope he continues to cook and grow his skills.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2014 @ 12:23 PM

Oh, she does. Bobby has mentioned on his show(s) on more than one occasion that she is the only person he knows who plans what they're going to eat 3 days ahead. When she was on his show once and he mentioned it, she confirmed it was true.

I was watching a Beat Bobby Flay that aired last week and saw her up in the gallery. She was wearing her glasses and looked just like Alex Cabot. :)

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2014 @ 6:17 AM

Blind judging, my ass.  Those judges knew who was the mentor behind each meal.  Poquito peppers, anyone?

MajorWoody

MajorWoody

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 6, 2014 @ 9:01 AM

A few observations:

First of all, while Jamie was certainly likeable and seemed to be the most attentive student throughout the series , based on the finale and the plates served, Amber did seem to be the clear winner.

Unfortunately, her bison appeared to win because on two occasions she removed it from the oven, and showed it to Bobby, who told her it needed more time. That , to me, appeared to be unfair. Anyone can cook a winning dish with Bobby Flay telling them exactly when to remove a dish from the burner or oven. I thought the finale was supposed to be done without any help from the mentor.

Second, as others (and I ) have previously mentioned, Ambers nails are disgusting in a culinary environment. My initial impression at the start of this season was that she was chosen strictly for her freakish appearance, as is often the case on these FN shows.

Additionally, did anyone else think it was funny that right after Bobby Flay stated that he was sure Amber would be sensible and smart with her winning money (or something to that effect), she promptly is shown on screen stating that she will go out and get another tattoo? I guess she couldn't be bothered to worry about her kids , which she has falsely claimed is what she has been doing this for. She just proved what I had claimed earlier in this thread, she is all about self promotion, and her kids are just something she brings up when she needs to.

A few have taken to defending her outrageous amount of tattoos, hair styles, and high end wardrobe as being irrelevant to her oft claimed concern for her kids well being. Even if, as some apologists have claimed, she gets free tattoos in exchange for her tattoo work, it still ignores that she forfeits her salary in that example, which could have been spent on those same kids she claims she is so concerned about in order to fulfill her own desires.

Anyway, those are some of my observations, you don't have to agree with them, they are just what I came away from this season with.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2014 @ 10:34 AM

How does she tattoo people with those nails?

Well, she probably doesn't tattoo them with her nails, she probably uses a tattoo gun.  although, if her nails are pointy enough....

But seriously, it is surprising what people with long nails can do - they just find a different way to hold or use things.  Back in the stone age, when offices had secretaries who typed on typewriters, my office had a secretary with really long nails who types really fast.  She hit keys with the tips of her nails.  it looked like her hands were hovering an inch above the keys (kind of creepy looking).  She rarely broke one. 

backtocal

backtocal

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 6, 2014 @ 10:36 AM

I truly believe "back stories" are assigned and exaggerated by the producers.  Like on House Hunters, people who have been on that show have mentioned that when the film crew arrived the "house hunters" were told "this is your 'story'", even if it bears little or no resemblance to reality.   So, maybe Amber isn't really a "struggling single mom".  A single mom, yes, but maybe she gets adequate child support, comes from family money, or is a very successful tattoo artist.  But that doesn't "play" as well as a single mom who struggles.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2014 @ 10:50 AM

it is surprising what people with long nails can do

Just look at Dolly Parton play guitar!

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2014 @ 11:40 AM

I don't think Bobby advising Amber on when to pull the bison was unfair, since the judges are in the kitchen in order to advise the finalists.  They can't taste the food or physically help, but they can answer questions and make suggestions based on what they see.

I wonder when the scene where Anne and Bobby go out and talk to the guest judges was shot.  It was made to appear as if it was filmed while the contestants were cooking, and if we saw footage of the contestants alone in the kitchen then perhaps the second unit did indeed film the chefs/judges contemporaneously.  But if the contestants really were left to their own devices for the time it took to shoot that scene, I'd have expected some footage of one or both of them having a problem and fretting that Anne and Bobby weren't there to advise them.

FigLover

FigLover

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2014 @ 11:53 AM

When Amber said she was "doing this for her kids," I thought she meant that she was on the show to learn to cook for her kids so she could make them homemade meals (as opposed to eating take-out/fast food a lot, perhaps), and also to prove to them that she could really cook now by winning the show.  I didn't assume she meant she needed the prize money to feed and clothe/take care of her kids.  But we don't know what she really meant, because she didn't elaborate (as far as I can recall), so I think it's unfair to assume she desperately needed the money and is therefore a bad Mom/person for wanting to use a few hundred of her 25K on herself for a new tattoo.  Wanting to do a little something for herself with her winnings isn't a horrible thing (imo), especially if we don't assume automatically that she desperately needed her winnings to take care of her kids (because she never said that exactly).

Edited by FigLover, Apr 6, 2014 @ 12:01 PM.

MajorWoody

MajorWoody

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 6, 2014 @ 5:24 PM

I stand by my statements.

Regarding the issue with Bobby Flay advising her, she brought the bison from the oven to him, and he told her it needed to cook longer. Any one of us could cook a perfect dish if we had a master chef telling us when to put things in or out of the oven. The finale is supposed to be a test of the contestants skills, learned over the course of the competition. The previous days practice session is where they should be learning proper cooking times and temps. I realize it's just a TV show, and probably not an honest competition, but that issue just stood out to me. In relation, Jamie was given kudos for his spot on cooking of the pork, which he managed to accomplish without being told by Chef Anne when to remove it from the oven.

As to Amber, while she has said she wanted to learn to cook for her kids, she has also on quite a few occasions this season said that she could use the money due to her being a single mom of 4 kids. Again, it flies in the face of her professed claims that her first concern is her kids, when her first statement after winning is to say she is going to do something for herself rather than her kids. It is even more telling that the statement came immediately after Bobby Flay made the statement that she would be smart about the money!

Again, those are my observations, and my reasoning behind them.

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2014 @ 5:40 PM

I thought from the beginning it was set up for Amber to win.

If you remember, she was the only one who didn't come in with someone and presented something that she wasn't sure what it was. But then, miraculously, she managed to pull off each and every dish Bobby gave her.

And as far as the gloves, she was the chosen winner and she couldn't wear gloves because of her nails. So if she couldn't wear them, why demand them of anybody?

I still think it's a set up. Although why i care, I don't know.

FigLover

FigLover

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2014 @ 6:42 PM

Regarding the issue with Bobby Flay advising her, she brought the bison from the oven to him, and he told her it needed to cook longer. Any one of us could cook a perfect dish if we had a master chef telling us when to put things in or out of the oven. The finale is supposed to be a test of the contestants skills, learned over the course of the competition. The previous days practice session is where they should be learning proper cooking times and temps. I realize it's just a TV show, and probably not an honest competition, but that issue just stood out to me. In relation, Jamie was given kudos for his spot on cooking of the pork, which he managed to accomplish without being told by Chef Anne when to remove it from the oven.

Actually both mentors were helping their contestants out during the final cook-off, which I thought was ridiculous.  I didn't see Amber getting more help than Jaime.  I actually think both mentors should have been out of the kitchen.  Also, this is a heavily edited show; I highly doubt we saw all of the interactions between the mentors and the cooks.  So again, I think they both got too much help from their mentors.

As to Amber, while she has said she wanted to learn to cook for her kids, she has also on quite a few occasions this season said that she could use the money due to her being a single mom of 4 kids. Again, it flies in the face of her professed claims that her first concern is her kids, when her first statement after winning is to say she is going to do something for herself rather than her kids. It is even more telling that the statement came immediately after Bobby Flay made the statement that she would be smart about the money!

Honestly I don't recall Amber ever talking about the money.  I realize I could have missed this, so if you could be so kind as to point out when/where/which episode she did, that'd be helpful.  Otherwise, I'm going with my own memory.  

Also, she said in an interview on the Food Network blog after the final show that the tattoo that she is going to get will be of Bobby's face on her leg because of the impact he's had on her life.  What a bitch!  ;) She also said that with the money she's going to get a car because their family car was hit by a semi a few months before this show started filming. Then she wants to take her family on a vacation.  Seems reasonable, and appropriately family-oriented to me.

And as far as the gloves, she was the chosen winner and she couldn't wear gloves because of her nails. So if she couldn't wear them, why demand them of anybody? [/quote}

I don't think contestants have never worn gloves on this show.  Not even contestants with multiple cuts/bandaids on their hands have to wear gloves, apparently. ;)  Actually I don't think FN shows ever have their contestants/chefs wearing gloves, except when they get a cut on their hand, like on Chopped.

I still think it's a set up. Although why i care, I don't know.

Yeah, it very well may be set up.  As for why I care at all about this stupid show and its contestants, I guess it bugged me when I started to see (imo) Amber getting dumped on a lot for what I perceive to be some unsubstantiated reasons (imo), like wearing a "high end wardrobe."  Huh?  LOL  

Edited by FigLover, Apr 6, 2014 @ 7:21 PM.