Worst Cooks in America

• Please log in to reply

1706 replies to this topic

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 1:15 AM

I saw a commercial for it tonight. Unfortunately, I came in on the tale end - I think it's Bobby and I know it's Anne, again.

Sometimes I think some of the contestants are faking, no one could be as clueless as these contestants, but in general, I like the show and look forward to the new season.

Quorwyf

Quorwyf

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 7:59 AM

Seeing this thread reminded me of something I forgot to mention awhile ago. As in months ago. Kelli guest starred in an episode of NBC's Grimm as a psychiatrist around the start of this past season. The show is based in Portland so I guess she works/lives around that area.

Jasamina

Jasamina

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 10:15 PM

I saw a commercial for it tonight. Unfortunately, I came in on the tale end - I think it's Bobby and I know it's Anne, again.

I just saw the commercial - starting Feb. 17th with Bobby and Anne.

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 10:29 PM

Really glad the show will be back soon. Even more excited that Bobby Flay will be on the show again. He is on every show, but I feel like this one and Throwdown are the ones that really make you like him. Both of them are great with new cooks, and they bicker like siblings. Can't wait~

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 3:02 AM

I like Bobby here too. I always thought some of these people were fakers but their general lack of knowledge of ingredients, scary knife skills and basic poor intuitive reflexes when it comes to actually cooking is hard to fake. This show is definitely still casted though...the better your story or odd visual quirkiness will launch you just as far. I read the app once and figured as bad as the DH was at cooking, he still was probably too knowledgeable and I could not come up with an interesting angle for him!

Gulielma

Gulielma

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 10:52 AM

I think that Anne Burrell and Bobby Flay are the right duo for this. Finally there's another mentor who does a decent job of working with the team. Beau and Robert Irvine weren't a good fit. But if FN isn't careful, they're going to burn out Bobby Flay.

Edited by Gulielma, Jan 23, 2013 @ 10:53 AM.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 7:44 PM

But if FN isn't careful, they're going to burn out Bobby Flay.

It seems like he's part of a billion shows that last one season. I don't know if he's just trying to find one that works, or he's not very discriminating about what shows he's on, but he must hold the record for the most shows on the FN.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 8:37 PM

I love this show, although I liked the first season better than the second one. I'm so glad it's coming back. Maybe it was me, but I didn't feel like I "got to know" the second year's contestants as much as I did in the first season. I hope these people aren't "plants" and are real people. I never thought of them as being anything but real in the past. Since Bobby has talked about his many sports activities, I see him as being highly competitive. I think he'd happily do a show like this, combining cooking with competition.

nottopbravo

nottopbravo

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 1:05 PM

But if FN isn't careful, they're going to burn out Bobby Flay.

Not only does he have "Worst Cooks" coming up, he also has "Bobby's Dinner Battle" and an upcoming "Bobby Flay Fit" which I think is a web series.

Nightlark

Nightlark

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 1:26 PM

I like Bobby here too. I always thought some of these people were fakers but their general lack of knowledge of ingredients, scary knife skills and basic poor intuitive reflexes when it comes to actually cooking is hard to fake. This show is definitely still casted though...the better your story or odd visual quirkiness will launch you just as far.

I think it's a combination maybe of playing up the bad cooking and no experience. I went a couple years where due to bad health I didn't cook. I was intimidated getting back to it but some of it is poor intuitive reflexes of what does or doesn't work.
I am really glad Bobby is back. I loved his chemistry with Anne and the cooks.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 3:04 PM

Since Bobby has talked about his many sports activities, I see him as being highly competitive. I think he'd happily do a show like this, combining cooking with competition.

He really is insanely competitive and admits it. It's one of the things that makes him (IMHO) such a good Iron Chef. Ironically, he never wanted Throwdown to be a competition - he just wanted to highlight people who were really, really good at something but didn't have a big national profile - but FN insisted, and I agree with Fuzubanu that it was a series that presented him at his most likable.

I'm so pleased he's coming back for WCIA. And for those who worry that he's 'burning out', I note that he's still married, which seems to me a good sign that he's got some balance in his life!

jellywager

jellywager

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 8:36 PM

Is this show back or what? My DVR cut off the show when the contestants were making their creations (peanut mM&M mole spaghetti sauce??). I tried to do a search and it looks non-exsistant.

Racso64

Racso64

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 8:54 PM

Yes this show is back. Bobby Flay is returning as a mentor. A new commercial was seen having Anne and Bobby interrogating the recruits for their messed up dishes.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 9:25 PM

Is this show back or what? My DVR cut off the show when the contestants were making their creations

That's exactly what mine did, all I got was 5 minutes. It sounds like it was them if it happned to multiple people.

MattFNG

MattFNG

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:12 PM

Is this show back or what? My DVR cut off the show when the contestants were making their creations (peanut mM&M mole spaghetti sauce??). I tried to do a search and it looks non-exsistant.

Yup, it is scheduled to start Feb 17th. Here is a preview -> Link

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:47 PM

Yeah, I thought it was a new episode, too, but it was just an 5-minute preview. Lame.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2013 @ 11:24 PM

I know that anything is possible, but I don't think this show is "acted." As hard as it is to imagine, I think there really are people who are lost in the kitchen and are willing to go on TV to get help. Some of them are so funny! I'm still laughing over the short, heavy-set, brown-haired gal in the first episode who just could not get anything right! I felt sorry for her, but she was hysterical! She actually improved some and stayed around there for a while. Last season seemed to get much more serious than the first one, I thought. I'm so glad the FN is airing another season.

Totale

Totale

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2013 @ 10:49 AM

May the good lord deliver us from "characters".

Darth Nigel

Darth Nigel

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 4, 2013 @ 2:59 PM

Amen, Totale.

I've got a really really bad feeling about this season from the 5 minute preview.

The show always had a certain implausibility to it, but this season looks like it is staffed by refugees from a bad sketch comedy show. We have the woman who LOVES LOVES LOVES Booby Flay, the ubernerd guy with the slicked-down hair and the bow tie... as well as the usual assortment of people who allegedly can't cook.

I'll watch one (because I like the Anne/Bobby combination usually) but if it gets too cray-cray... well, that's the advantage of a TiVo. we can fast-forward through the crap bits.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 9:12 AM

My favorite aspect of this program is Bobby's amusement at the whole thing. I really enjoy when he laughs at these people.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 9:33 PM

I'm really looking forward to the new season of this show beginning tomorrow night. Bobby Flay's never been a 'must see' TV chef for me, but he's great on this show.

In the meantime, I re-read the previous season's comments here and am watching the marathon that's been on today.

A couple of things I noticed this time, but didn't comment on before: Bobby wondering if was such thing as 'pineapple jam' when Erica was looking for some was interesting. Maybe it's just a southern thing, but I grew up seeing pineapple preserves in the store (I think the kind I saw was Bama brand). I vaguely remember eating it at one point--it was kind of like marmalade.

Also noticed that in the episode where they had to get up in the middle of the night and cook at the Tick Tock diner, the on-screen ingredient list spelled 'avocado' as 'avacodo'. I reversed it twice to make sure. Also, the whole idea that Tiffany was asleep and then came into the kitchen in her jammies with tousled hair all yawning. I noticed that she had full makeup on. Who sleeps in mascara, eyeliner and foundation? (Maybe she actually does, for all I know). I just thought it looked really phony. And, they all seemed pretty wide awake and alert at the end of that long night of cooking. Finally, I was wondering if the episodes were actually filmed really close together, so I looked for David's bandaged thumb (the one he cut when he was fileting his salmon) in the school cafeteria segment. I didn't think I saw it at first, then saw that he was wearing a flesh-colored bandaid. Later, I saw a white bandage.

That's all for now. I've got the DVR all set. I hope they have good contestants that aren't too 'actory', but even if they do, I'll still watch for Anne and Bobby.

Lilybee

Lilybee

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 12:37 AM

I enjoyed today's marathon and can't wait until tomorrow.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 2:06 AM

Haven't seen Worst Cooks since it was Bobby and Anne but just saw the finale. ITA that the two of them come across really well individually and as friendly rivals. I'm glad they'll be back.

As for the result of last season...boo! Kelly seemed like a lovely person, but her appetizer was inferior to Vinny's ("undercooked yam v. best-dish-of-the-day tartar"), her entree was inferior ("overcooked steak v. perfectly cooked squab and slightly OVERcooked risotto") and for the dessert, her crostata had a good crust but overcooked "dark" apples and was rustic v. Vinny's brulee which had amazing flavor and two that were perfect, one that was loose. Plus they said every one of his course was "restaurant quality or presentation" and none of hers were.

How in the world did she win?

Quorwyf

Quorwyf

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 7:17 AM

Also, the whole idea that Tiffany was asleep and then came into the kitchen in her jammies with tousled hair all yawning. I noticed that she had full makeup on. Who sleeps in mascara, eyeliner and foundation? (Maybe she actually does, for all I know).

My memory is getting a bit hazy..was Tiffany the professional poker player? If so then I fully believe that she would in fact sleep w/ full makeup on and have her things at the ready in the event that she needs to touch herself up before going on camera.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 8:44 AM

Yes, she was the professional poker player. She was the one that I thought looked like a cross between Sandra Bullock and Brooke Shields. She always seemed upbeat and peppy until Melissa (the blonde who was there until near the end) started outdoing her--then Tiffany seemed to be shown a lot with a frowny face.

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 1:13 PM

As for the result of last season...boo! Kelly seemed like a lovely person, but her appetizer was inferior to Vinny's ("undercooked yam v. best-dish-of-the-day tartar"), her entree was inferior ("overcooked steak v. perfectly cooked squab and slightly OVERcooked risotto") and for the dessert, her crostata had a good crust but overcooked "dark" apples and was rustic v. Vinny's brulee which had amazing flavor and two that were perfect, one that was loose. Plus they said every one of his course was "restaurant quality or presentation" and none of hers were.

How in the world did she win?

I'm kind of wondering this myself.

I missed the marathon but caught the replay of the finale. Heck I didn't even remember it was THOSE 2 in the finals! I remember when I was watching it I thought that the finale was pretty much going to be rigged, that's why despite Vinny's better effort he was going to lose because he was on Bobby's team.

Up until this point, it's been a one and out hasn't it? Bo, Robert then Bobby? Since there would be more inclination that Bobby would not come back/not have time/unknown scheduling a year out it seemed the more prudent result to have Anne "win" again and just find the next person to rotate in for the show. At least that's what I thought at that point.

I was surprised (pleasantly) to see Bobby come back and mentor again. He's got the perfect personality for this show. His snark and eye rolls play well in this arena and his condescension is cute, rather than grating. Bo didn't have enough personality and Robert is too much of a cartoon character. Bobby does really well with home cooks.

FigLover

FigLover

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 1:50 PM

I thought Vinny deserved to lose for serving 1-2 of the judges a totally raw creme brulee for desert. Holy salmonella Batman! This alone should have cost him the competion. So while Kelly did over cook her apples in her tart, this seemed much less offensive than Vinny serving his liquid creme brulee. It did seem that Vinny won the appetizer round, since they had no complaints about his dish, and they complained about Kelly undercooking her sweet potato wrap. Then in the entree round Vinny screwed up his risotto, while the judges said they liked Kelly's steak and that her side dish was their favorite part of the whole competition. So since Kelly seemed to win 2 out of the 3 courses (main dish & dessert), I thought she deserved to win. Also in the final episode, Bobby was still complaining about Vinny's time management problems, so it gave the impression he hadn't really improved in that regard (also demonstrated by his severely undercooked creme brulee).

I could see why people would be upset that Vinny didn't win, because he was such a likeable and therefore rootable guy. But based on the cooking, imo, Kelly deserved her win.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 2:43 PM

I don't anyone could get salmonella from Vinny's creme brulee. Wasn't it a custard that was baked, but just didn't set?

I appreciate the case for Kelly although I still don't understand it. Vinny won the appetizer v. her undercooked sweet potato. The entree seemed at best a draw, perhaps, although I think overcooked risotto is less of a problem than her overcooked steak. Her side dish won, but his squab was "perfect" (and difficult) and her porterhouse wasn't good. I'd give the entree to Vinny, since the protein was the "star" of the round.

Finally, he did two of the three desserts perfectly, they were delicious and "looked like something served in a restaurant" (as did others of his dishes and none of hers). You could say she did NONE of her desserts properly since they all had burned/overcooked apples. Despite the flaky pastry, bad apples ruin a dessert because they ruin the taste.

I thought they both were likable, but even Kelly and Ann seemed surprised to me by her win (Anne's face when they said the steak was overcooked said it all to me, "Lost."). I guess I'm partial to the idea that they thought BF wouldn't be back and wanted Anne to get the win. That just makes more sense to me than that Kelly's food was better--at least from what we saw and were told.

ITA that it's great Bobby's back. His personality is so perfect for this--intensely competitive, but tries to hide it, really invested in helping but able to let someone do it on their own, great sense of humor and fun, snarky and cocky, but also seems genuinely nice. Actually, he's a bit like Anne! And to top it off, they seem more convincing as frenemies than Beau or Robert did.

FigLover

FigLover

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 3:11 PM

Well, again to hear the judges' explanation at the end as to why they gave Kelly the win pretty much summed it up for me why Kelly won. They said Vinny first course was pretty much perfect, but then they said his risotto had flaws (I forget what they were exactly, but they were not thrilled with it), while they said they did enjoy Kelly's steak (despite the overcooking of it, it seems), and her side dish was the best thing they were served throughout the meal. Then Vinny served an inedible dessert, while Kelly did not. I know I'd never want to risk eating a liquid creme brulee considering it at least appeard to be possbily undercooked (judging by its liquid consistency). It's a little shocking to me that he still served it to the judges that way.

Therefore, the reasoning for the judges giving the win to Kelly seems pretty clear to me, though it wasn't a blow out by any means. Surely we can agree to disagree though. :-)

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 3:38 PM

Why would they think Bobby Flay wouldn't be back though? It's only been speculated that the reason the others left was because they lost. There's been no proof of that. Maybe Bo and Robert had other projects, or just didn't want to do the show anymore. I doubt them leaving had anything at all to do with them being forced to because they lost.

I was rooting for both Kelli and Vinny so I wasn't disappointed by the win. I actually really liked both of them.

Edited by Neeney, Feb 17, 2013 @ 5:24 PM.