Worst Cooks in America

• Please log in to reply

1706 replies to this topic

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

Why didn't Bobby suggest that Vinnie fill the water baths at the oven? That's how I do it - in order to avoid the whole carrying-the-pan-of-hot-water-across-the-floor issue.

I knew there had to be a better way! Dang, I'm an idiot - maybe I should be on the show! (ETA - I guess I shouldn't feel too bad since neither Bobby or Vinnie thought of it! Or they thought of it and... what? wanted more of a challenge?)

Edited by CrumbyButtons, Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:39 PM.

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:46 PM

I also thought I would be fine with whoever won. And I actually am. But I was a smidge disappointed it wasn't Vinnie who won. But I was still happy for Kelly, and think I would've felt disappointed if she had won instead.

I'm so used to reality shows where I pull for one finalist because I can't stand the other that liking both felt kind of weird. But in a nice way.

That was just...weird. It sounds like, Vinnie only had two flaws with his entire dessert, which was risotto being slightly overcooked and Samuel's Brulee as bad. Kelli screwed up in SEVERAL areas, from her T-Bones being unevenly cooked and well-done, overcooked apples, slightly undercooked apple chip, and bizarre sweet potato that made the texture of the dish weird.

But they said that, in taste, all of Kelli's dishes were awesome. The steak was cooked a little much, but the taste was perfect. The apples were a weird color, but they tasted great. And I think taste was probably the biggie for the judges.

I also agree that they might have gotten "creative" with the editing (showing more praise for Vinnie than Kelli) to keep the surprise factor. Which is why I didn't try to decide who had won based on what the judges said. Shows like this love to throw viewers off.

Edited by Bitterswete, Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:48 PM.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:48 PM

That's the same question that I was coming here to ask. It seems like a pretty easy solution to fill the pan with the hot water after it has been placed in the oven. You use a tea kettle of something with a spout so you don't accidentally pour water into the dessert. That's how I do it. I was surprised when Kelli said she'd never cooked a steak before. I thought one of the lessons involved cooking steak...

I thought that the challenges were pretty evenly-matched. Kelli had to deal with the sweet potato consistency, and I thought that for her dessert, that the downfall would be making a decent pie crust, not overcooking the apple filling.

Risotto was a huge mistake for somebody like Vinnie, who had time-management issues. If creme brulee' had such a high risk element, than maybe Bobby should have changed courses and chosen a different dessert.

One thing I noticed was that when the contestants suggested menu items (which they were obviously comfortable with preparing) Anne and Bobby chose something else. If Vinnie had prepared a steak, like he'd wanted to, I'm certain that he would have won.

I also couldn't believe how clueless those two were in the grocery store. In most stores, the produce items are clearly labeled.

I really didn't care who won, but I figured that Vinnie/Bobby would have been better sports about it than Anne would have if Kelli had lost.

JLHSmurf

JLHSmurf

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 12:31 AM

I know that she was just joking and Anne is one of my favorite Food Network people, but I didn't like how she was poking fun at Vinnie. She should've saved that for Bobby. Vinnie and Kelli were students and were probably extremely nervous.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:30 AM

I was rooting for Vinnie, but as soon as Kelly said something about her having no chance to win, I knew she did. I guess they decided trying to fool the chefs into thinking that Anne & Bobby cooked the dishes wasn't working so they changed things.

The moral here is never make risotto in a cooking competition. I don't know what Bobby was thinking suggesting risotto.

I screamed NOOOOOO at the TV when Bobby said risotto, I know that on Top Chef any time someone makes risotto, they fail. If professional chefs fail at it, how was Vinnie supposed to make it correctly?

And like many other people, I don't know why they didn't put the water in the pan once it was in the oven.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 5:59 AM

The brulee' why put the foil over the pan? Wouldn't the water condense and drip into the mix? And I do agree pour the water into the pan after it is in the oven.
Not sure I cared who won but Vinnie was sort of my favorite.
The grocery store scenes were either hilarious or ridiculous. I think that shopping should be lesson one next year?
I do hope Bobby comes back next year.

Gardencrown

Gardencrown

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 6:25 AM

The moral here is never make risotto in a cooking competition. I don't know what Bobby was thinking suggesting risotto.

I screamed NOOOOOO at the TV when Bobby said risotto, I know that on Top Chef any time someone makes risotto, they fail. If professional chefs fail at it, how was Vinnie supposed to make it correctly?

I woke up in the middle of the night last night, muttering, "WHY, Bobby? WHY Risotto?" (Sadly, this is true.)

But I did like both Kelli and Vinnie. Bobby's whole meal seemed overly fussy for him. And I don't know what Anne was thinking about the sweet potato? Those can be a bitch to get to the right texture. And I second, third, one hundredth those who say Bobby must come back next year. He was gracious and genuine and hilarious. He and Vinnie seemed to have a bond, whereas I think that Kelli was still pretty nervous (understandably) around Anne.

Sparks5478

Sparks5478

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 6:49 AM

Awww, this show was such a delight and I'm really sorry that it's over. Both, no all (well, except for two) of the cheftestants-in-training were so likeable and the overall feeling of the show was so positive and fun that I really didn't care who won. I've always liked Ann (and while I think she is a very competitive person, I'm sure it's played up by the editing) and I've never had a problem with Bobby either (I missed his whole Iron Chef kerfuffle and his food almost always appeals to me) but both of them together are pure gold. And it's such a pleasure seeing people who like and support each other, without scheming and under-the-bus-throwing. I'm really looking forward to the next season.

Dear Food Network,

DON'T FUCK WITH THIS SHOW! OKAY? Well, except for leaving out the reality show repeats and Grade Z "actors."

Thank in advance,
Sparky

schnauzerlover

schnauzerlover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 7:17 AM

Either Kelly or Vinnie winning was fine with me, but since I was rooting for Bobbby, I guess that means Vinnie was my default choice. If anybody from FN is reading this board: Bring back Bobby!

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

Yes, yes, yes - FN - please bring back Bobby! He and Anne are great together.

davout1806

davout1806

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:56 AM

Am so glad Kelli won. Vinnie was fine, but I'm a big fan of Kelli and Anne.

ninjawirehead

ninjawirehead

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

Allow me to further pile on the Bobby and Anne love. I liked Bobby Flay SO much more on this show than Robert Irvine. Bobby was a better teacher, more patient and relaxed and funloving than Irvine. Bobby looked as though he was genuinely interested in helping his contestants do well. I think Anne and Bobby make a fanstastic team and I enjoyed their interaction much more than Anne and Robert's. Please bring Bobby Flay back next season FN.

mlp

mlp

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 12:05 PM

I'm so used to reality shows where I pull for one finalist because I can't stand the other that liking both felt kind of weird. But in a nice way.

Agreed. Last season I loved Joshie and couldn't stand George but this time I liked them both. I was rooting for Vinnie from the first episode but my only reservation about Kelli was that she's been on a reality TV show in the past. Otherwise, she was very nice and very pretty, too.

As many others have said, I very much hope Bobby continues with the show. I've always liked him and I thought he was terrific with the contestants - except for choosing risotto which I didn't understand. My guess is that he thought something that difficult to do correctly would cinch a win if Vinnie pulled it off.

I like Anne's cooking show. In fact, it's the only daytime show I watch. But she's not gracious in victory or defeat and I was hoping to see Bobby take her down a peg. Maybe next time.

Pache

Pache

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

At first I thought that too, then I remembered that it was the blue team that cooked steak. The red team was cooking something else.

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

But she's not gracious in victory or defeat and I was hoping to see Bobby take her down a peg. Maybe next time.

I agree. I also liked both Vinnie and Kelly, but for Pete's sake, I wanted Bobby's "recruit" to win to shut up Anne's crowing. The needling of Vinnie and the "3 and 0" comment by Anne once Kelly was announced the winner were a bit much to me. However, I did like Kelly personally, so congrats to her.

I totally agree that Bobby should return to the show. He seemed to really enjoy it and tried to put his team at ease, as opposed to Anne's super-competitive "Don't let me down" mentality. It just seemed like they balanced each other out much better.

NoPity1066

NoPity1066

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

Yay, Kelli ! And I called it from Episode One ! Well, I picked a few, but I did have her in the pool.

"Boo !" to Bobby choosing risotto for Vinnie. Why haven't they figured out that risotto is like cooking Kryptonite for Superman. They should just start calling it The Dish That Shall Not Be Named. Especially when he couldn't taste it - it could have been wonderful or a gluey, sticky mess. Perhaps it's become some kind of torture-test they use to measure a cook's progress now since it's been such a cheftestant-killer on half a dozen shows. Like if you can conquer Mount Risotto then you're ready for Les Halles, French Laundry, or the Four Seasons.

A sort-of shout-out to Anne for being a gracious winner, which I didn't expect. She's usually so in-your-face, it's all about ME, but in the finale she kept relatively calm. I think that contributed to Kelli's win - she wasn't harassing her to death and making her nervous, and the results spoke for themselves.

Please, Food Network, bring back Bobby and Anne as a duo next season ! The kinder, gentler Burrell and the funny, charming Flay made such a great pair, and I think even MY cooking skills improved watching them.

canter

canter

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 7:16 PM

Please, Food Network, bring back Bobby and Anne as a duo next season ! The kinder, gentler Burrell and the funny, charming Flay made such a great pair, and I think even MY cooking skills improved watching them.

I agree, I really liked their chemistry this season.

I love Vinnie, but I'm happy for Kelly too. For the new kitchen stuff they won, did it include large appliances or just pans, utensils, countertop appliances, etc.? I didn't know Kohl's sold ovens and the like.

Creme Brulee-Gate had to have been manufactured for the drama. I simply cannot believe that I know a cooking tip (filling a bain marie at the oven instead of carrying a full dish across the room) of which Bobby Freaking Flay is unaware.

Edited by canter, Apr 2, 2012 @ 7:16 PM.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

I guess they decided trying to fool the chefs into thinking that Anne & Bobby cooked the dishes wasn't working so they changed things.

They only did that on the first season. They wouldn't have been able to do that for more seasons, because the jig would've long been up.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:55 PM

"Boo !" to Bobby choosing risotto for Vinnie. Why haven't they figured out that risotto is like cooking Kryptonite for Superman. They should just start calling it The Dish That Shall Not Be Named.

The Dish That Shall Not Be Named, totally stealing this :-)

They only did that on the first season. They wouldn't have been able to do that for more seasons, because the jig would've long been up.

Also, because the people completely failed at it LOL

Edited by Ginandtonic, Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:56 PM.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 6:14 AM

I was expecting Vinnie to win, based on the comments and on it's sort of time for Anne to pass the torch. I wouldn't mind Flay returning. He's pretty good in this setting. It's weird that the menu here is so dissimilar to what he'd cook on Iron Chef. He's never made a risotto or a creme brulee on Iron Chef in his entire career there as far as I remember. I'm surprised he didn't break out the lobster tails and blue corn tamales or other Iron Chef crutches. For desserts, he's completely dependent on his sous chefs, so I'm not entirely surprised that there might be a trick that he doesn't know about making creme brulees.

So next season, Flay again or maybe Amanda Freitag?

Edited by Fukui San, Apr 3, 2012 @ 6:15 AM.

buttercupia

buttercupia

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 8:56 AM

I think Bobby and Anne had a great chemistry and it was nice to see them having so much fun. This show is so enjoyable-nobody really loses and it seems like most of the contestants have a great sense of accomplishment even in a very short time. Good work, FN!

robxr4ti

robxr4ti

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 5:20 AM

Personally I feel that Ann cheated to have her side win. She provided *far* too much direction (what to do and when). Bobby was supportive and let Vinny cook.

Totale

Totale

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

Speaking of which, what was up with A&B standing there explaining the whole concept of the show and the prizes involved to the judges, who sat there all goggle-eyed making "oh, wow!" comments like that was the first time they'd heard of any of this? That said, points to the judges for being kind and supportive to the contestants.

I am shallower than the next guy and prefer pretty women on my screen to fat Italian guys so I was pulling for Melissa over Vinnie, but I have to admit I thought Vinnie's whole meal sounded more appealing from the verbal descriptions, blown brulee or not.

hielandfoodie

hielandfoodie

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 4:02 PM

I was hoping that Vinnie would win, but I'm happy for Kelly. I really liked the chemistry between Anne and Bobby. It seemed to be a much more enjoyable series than some of the former ones.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

Just wanted to add that I had my own Worst Cooks sighting in my hometown the other day. I saw Ms. Erica herself roaming around town and I desperately wanted to follow her just to see if she was anything in real life like she was on the show. But alas, I didn't follow her, as that would be creepy. Sadly, it was more exciting than it should have been.

roorooby

roorooby

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

So ... at this point, what do we know about next season?
Will both Anne and Bobby be back as mentor chefs?
Because they're both doing so many other programs, their schedules seem really full.

schnauzergirl

schnauzergirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

Does anybody know when (or if) Worst Cooks will be back? I can't believe it's been shelved by the FN, but you never know. I hope Bobby is back, but doubt it since Anne seems to need somebody new to conquer every season.

Racso64

Racso64

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 5:02 PM

If this link has anything to say. I am guessing yes.

Bleeding Love

Bleeding Love

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 10:44 PM

I haven't seen any commercial for the new season :( Doesn't it usually start around mid-January?

Maverick

Maverick

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 11:48 PM

It will most likely start after Rachel vs. Guy, like last year.

In that commercial for Sandy relief that had the Food Network stars, Bobby and Ann appear together in their chef coats for WCA (although Ann's looks like some peach color instead of Red). Presumably their spot was filmed on the set of the taping for this season.