Worst Cooks in America

• Please log in to reply

1706 replies to this topic

Penthilisea

Penthilisea

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

Does anyone have a link to a clip show or quote list of Erica and Sarina inanity?

davout1806

davout1806

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

I think it is very telling that Melissa was the one switched from the red team to the blue team. That has happened before (in past seasons) in order to get the two winning chefs on the correct side so that both red and blue have a winner. I think it is looking more and more like Melissa will represent the blue team, but the red team is still a big question mark.

schnauzerlover

schnauzerlover

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

Finally watched Sunday's episode last night and Tiffany must go! I try to cut people a lot of slack, but her actions, comments and facial expressions are so juvenile. I was sorry to see Benjamin leave, but his priorities are sure in place. For the Blue Team, I see Melissa and Vinnie and for the Red, David and probably Dorothy. I've liked Kelly, but doubt if she can keep from second guessing herself. As for the final winner, not even a guess right now.

NoPity1066

NoPity1066

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 4:22 PM

Tiffany must go!

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes, schnauzerlover ! That double-bun, 7th grade, semi-Princess Leia hair just got on my very last nerve. She spends far too much time trying to be cute, and "Smizing" (copyright Tyra Banks) for her own good.

I was sorry to see Benjamin leave as well - what a cutie, and so earnest ! Hope he's back with his family, making them something fabulous and not regretting a thing.

Funny, but I don't understand the disrespect in calling someone "Ma'am" (or Miss) or Sir. I'm from the North East, and I was just raised that way. Maybe because I had older parents (?) or my dad was in the military ? But I'd certainly never say it to anyone intending to offend.

Then again, I call people by their titles when I know they have one, such as Your Honor, Pastor, Father/Sister, Doctor, etc. CHEF Anne deserves her title as much as a judge or a priest does. As TiaRachel noted, this is "kitchen culture" that they're supposed to absorb.

Jaynut

Jaynut

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

I, too, am disappointed that Benjamin fell on his sword this week. While I understand and sympathize with his reasons, I would have loved to see Tiffani and her many childish mannerisms booted off.

Edited by Jaynut, Mar 13, 2012 @ 7:02 PM.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 7:38 AM

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes, schnauzerlover ! That double-bun, 7th grade, semi-Princess Leia hair just got on my very last nerve. She spends far too much time trying to be cute, and "Smizing" (copyright Tyra Banks) for her own good.

I kind of disagree.

On one hand, her even being cast in the first place was definitely stunt casting. She's sexy, with a sexy job (pro poker player, wearing a catsuit like thing when she plays), and I bet somehow her name was simply "in" at some casting agent overall for any reality show, and was picked out based on her photo and job description.

On the other hand, actually listening to her, she's kind of a hoot. Pretty girls are a dime a dozen on reality shows, but Tiffany is actually pretty funny. And I bet her catty-seeming venom towards Melissa has been milked out by the producers (although she certainly cooperated).

Marty1112

Marty1112

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 7:50 AM

I didn't really understand Benjamin's motivation. Aren't contestants on these shows sequestered for the amount of time that they were supposed to be away so as not to give away the winner? If so, quitting didn't gain him any time with his family, and may have lost him a big paycheck.

Gulielma

Gulielma

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 8:20 AM

I didn't really understand Benjamin's motivation. Aren't contestants on these shows sequestered for the amount of time that they were supposed to be away so as not to give away the winner? If so, quitting didn't gain him any time with his family, and may have lost him a big paycheck.

That occured to me, too. I was thinking "Lovely sentiment, but you do realize you don't actually get to go home."

Also liked Bobby and Anne's dismay when Vinnie was flambeing *with the Bourbon bottle still in his hand*. That would not have been pretty. Although he did redeem himself by knowing what to do about the fire.

schnauzerlover

schnauzerlover

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

I figured Benjamin was allowed to go home because he hadn't participated in the final couple of episodes so wouldn't know the outcome.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

Also liked Bobby and Anne's dismay when Vinnie was flambeing *with the Bourbon bottle still in his hand*. That would not have been pretty. Although he did redeem himself by knowing what to do about the fire.

If it was as dangerous as they said (and as it looked) shouldn't someone have intervened? Did they have some guy with a fire exptinguisher standing next to him? Or did they take the let's-wait-and-see-if-he-engulfs-himself-in-flames approach?

I figured Benjamin was allowed to go home because he hadn't participated in the final couple of episodes so wouldn't know the outcome.

But those who saw him at home would know he didn't win.

schnauzerlover

schnauzerlover

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

Yes, those who saw him would know, but so would everybody who watched the show Sunday night. That was as public an announcement as there could be ... or am I missing the point? That's been known to happen, so no offense taken if I'm way off base.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 10:58 AM

Since shows are taped in advance, it's common for competition reality shows to require booted contestants to stay sequestered in a "sequesterville" until the taping of the show is complete, so that no one knows in advance if someone left early or late and spoilers are discouraged.

However, I'm not sure if a lower profile show such as this would go to the trouble of doing that. Higher profile shows like Survivor, Amazing Race, and Project Runway certainly do.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

Yes, those who saw him would know, but so would everybody who watched the show Sunday night. That was as public an announcement as there could be ... or am I missing the point?

Yes, I'm afraid you are. This was taped months ago. Him going home directly after elimination would mean that people would have had that information months ago.

Admittedly, since this is just "Worst Cooks in America" maybe nobody would really care. But the caution about things like this goes back to the heyday of shows like Survivor and Big Brother, their early days I mean, when information about the finalists (or someone not being one) was actual news, which might even be reported in the mainstream media (and heck, might even have Vegas bookmakers taking bets on the results). These days? Even with those shows very few people would care. Some blog would still pick it up, but likely most of the viewing public would only know if they lets say... looked at wikipedia (where if ANYONE reported it, someone will have recorded the information).

Edited by WileyCoyote, Mar 14, 2012 @ 11:04 AM.

schnauzerlover

schnauzerlover

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

WileyCoyote, thank you! I knew there had to be a flaw in my thinking and there sure was. I appreciate the correction.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

No problem. Its one of those quirks of reality shows which doesn't completely make sense when held against the real world.

kittykat

kittykat

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

It was sad to see Benjamin go but he really didn't want to be there. Poor guy.

As far as Anne's team goes I hope it comes down to David and Dorothy, both have picked up steam whereas early favorite Kelli has lost some. I think she's doomed next.

Same for Tiffany on Bobby's team. Not only does she grate but she just needs to go. I'm guessing she would've gone had Benjamin not offered himself up. Melissa and Vinnie are definitely the top now. Looks like Bobby was wrong about David "coasting" though.

LaLoka

LaLoka

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 3:48 PM

I think Bobby's going to take this one.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

Since shows are taped in advance, it's common for competition reality shows to require booted contestants to stay sequestered in a "sequesterville" until the taping of the show is complete, so that no one knows in advance if someone left early or late and spoilers are discouraged.

However, I'm not sure if a lower profile show such as this would go to the trouble of doing that. Higher profile shows like Survivor, Amazing Race, and Project Runway certainly do.

I don't know why, but I was under the impression that some shows don't want you in contact with family/friends at all while you're taping the show, they keep you pretty isolated. That obviously happens on Survivor, but not Project Runway. I'm not sure about the Amazing Race though, I don't think they're allowed to bring cell phones. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that maybe they kept the contestants completely away from their family so they couldn't be told recipes or how to cook things on the phone or by computer & if you get eliminated, you don't get to go home, but maybe you can talk to them over the phone at that point & that's what Benjamin was thinking.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

I was worried for David and Melissa - so glad they stayed!

Best part of the episode was the casual shots of Vinnie chowing down on his leftover salmon! Then Bobby said something and Vinnie's like "What? It's GOOD!"

siamesecat2965

siamesecat2965

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

Best part of the episode was the casual shots of Vinnie chowing down on his leftover salmon! Then Bobby said something and Vinnie's like "What? It's GOOD!"

That cracked me up as well. I love Vinnie. But when Tiffany said what she was putting with her salmon, I knew it was all over. As Bobby said "fish and cheese are not friends" Blech.

Gardencrown

Gardencrown

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

Vinnie (and Bobby) for the Winnie.

I wasn't surprised to see Tiffany go because the editors seemed to telegraph that all night. Anne seemed truly saddened by losing Dorothy. Kelly stepped it up in this episode -- she's always seemed pretty nervous, but she seemed much more in control in this episode.

Melissa is kind of on my nerves, but I think it's because I'm an unabashed Vinnie apologist. Say what you want, but he's good TV!

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

I did once have a good dish that was fish and cheese, but it wasn't a strong tasting fish like salmon.

I'm so glad Tiffany is finally gone. I've felt like she was skating by on her looks.

I predict David v Vinnie for final two, which means both chefs will have been, at least partially, trained by Bobby. So, he sort of wins either way.

GreekGeek

GreekGeek

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

All the "eww!" from the ladies tonight got a bit annoying. Really, seafood is not that scary, even when it's alive and you have to kill it.

I wondered whether it was necessary to go through the step of stabbing the lobsters, instead of just plunging them into the boiling liquid. How much pain do they feel, either way?

The right people went home, I thought. I was glad David was OK after that nasty looking cut. It's ironic that some of the contestants were ready to faint at the thought of cleaning shrimp, but didn't seem very fazed by a guy bleeding profusely right in front of them!

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

I was so happy to finally see Tiffany get the boot. I like the F4 so I'm okay with any of them winning really. I was also really glad David stayed over Dorothy.

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

It's ironic that some of the contestants were ready to faint at the thought of cleaning shrimp, but didn't seem very fazed by a guy bleeding profusely right in front of them!

I wasn't bothered by the bleeding, but I could not watch the stuff with the lobster. I kept looking away from the screen.

I was sad to see Dorothy go but glad to see David stay. Basically I liked them both and would've been sad to see either one of them go.

I definitely think Tiffani should've been booted. But she said a couple of things that got a chuckle out of me tonight.

Edited by Bitterswete, Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:27 PM.

Nightlark

Nightlark

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

I do think the correct two went out tonight. But I kind of liked Tiffany today. And I really felt bad for Dorothy; she did have a bad day. But how good was the red team's tower that they won even without the shrimp? I was impressed.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

One thing I noticed when Bobby was demonstrating the seafood tower was that after he cooked the crab, he cut open the top of a claw portion, and specifically mentioned that keeping part of the shell on was so that you could put it on the ice shell side down so the crab would not get soggy. So what did his team do? Put seafood directly on the ice so it got soggy (not good for dipping in sauce) - and he commented on it during the blind taste test. It's a small point, but I think it was part of why forgetting shrimp was not as big as deal as soggy seafood. That in addition to the bland sauces his team prepared.

I love this show. I enjoy watching both Anne and Bobby. I've always thought Bobby was down to earth, with a good sense of humor. It comes through to me on his cooking shows. Glad to see others being able to see this side of him come out. Good fun all around.

Edited by chessiegal, Mar 18, 2012 @ 11:49 PM.

TryingHarder

TryingHarder

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 3:10 AM

Vinnie (and Bobby) for the Winnie.

He's the only one I like now. I have no clue why the others bug me so much.

CoyoteBlue

CoyoteBlue

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 3:58 AM

On one hand, her even being cast in the first place was definitely stunt casting. She's sexy, with a sexy job (pro poker player, wearing a catsuit like thing when she plays), and I bet somehow her name was simply "in" at some casting agent overall for any reality show, and was picked out based on her photo and job description.

Probably left over from her stint on The Amazing Race? Thought I recognized her from somewhere....

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

Farewell, Pinky. Dorothy and definitely Tiffany were the correct ones to go. I will miss Dorothy. Tiffany, not so much.
Vinnie for the win!