Worst Cooks in America

• Please log in to reply

1706 replies to this topic

Nell Huxleigh

Nell Huxleigh

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

I wonder what Vinnie's dude type is.

Also, Anne was very charming today, IMO, and didn't seem to take her team's performance so personally.

I think Bobby found Sarina to be greatly amusing. I do think he's going to miss her. Also, I think Bobby's team switching decisions worked out well for both Melissa and David. I think David needs someone who directly challenges him more and is perhaps more specific - Bobby seems to be more of a facilitator who lets people do their own thing.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 11:09 AM

Also, I think Bobby's team switching decisions worked out well for both Melissa and David. I think David needs someone who directly challenges him more and is perhaps more specific - Bobby seems to be more of a facilitator who lets people do their own thing.

I was thinking this too. Besides Melissa's crush on Bobby, she seems to prefer working with him. But by the same token David actually seems to be thriving under Anne's instruction. Considering Bobby could have saddled Anne with either Erica or Sarina she got off easy.

Both eliminations tonight were pretty obvious. I would love to be rid of Tiffany, but there is no way she was getting sent home over Sarina. Same for Kelly versus Bennett, though I don't dislike Kelly. I do think, as others have pointed out, my biggest issue with Tiffany is more that she seems to think she's just about the most adorable thing in the world. Though with those two out of the way, next week could be interesting.

I'm kind of loving Vinnie so far.

Gulielma

Gulielma

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

I think Bobby found Sarina to be greatly amusing.

Not least because he kept discovering new (and obvious, to him) things that she didn't know or misconceptions that she had. Assuming that "Mediterranean" means Greek. "There are different kinds of sausage?" Or thinking that feta and blue cheese are interchangeable.

LaLoka

LaLoka

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

I like when Bobby gets thrown by one of the contestant's questions, how he does a tiny little double-take yet immediately tries to hide it so that it's not rude or condescending to the person asking the question. It's obvious that he's totally thrown by their ignorance, but he also doesn't want to play that too hard. I find that really nice. Some teachers in general are real jerks and play out that moment so that the person feels dumb.

I thought what Vinnie said about wanting to learn how to cook so as to honor his wife was really lovely.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

I don't think Tiffany is a "plant" - as in the producers cast her for a part in the show - but I think she faked her lack of skills to get on. She has been on other reality shows where she didn't act as she does here. In my opinion, Tiffany's (and Bennett's) motives for going on the show were not to improve their cooking skills, but to advance their television careers.

Gulielma

Gulielma

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

In my opinion, Tiffany's (and Bennett's) motives for going on the show were not to improve their cooking skills, but to advance their television careers.

Shallow note: well, she certainly won't advance her career by the faces she made when she was upset that Bobby didn't like her cooking.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

I'll miss Bennett, so if he furthers his acting career it's okay by me. Dude is funny!

oyveyoyveyy

oyveyoyveyy

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 3:33 PM

Sarina isn't a real person, right? I sort of (okay do) love her, the things that come out of her mouth and that voice just killed me.

About the actors/plants things. I see casting calls for reality shows (pretty much everything on the air right now) on all of the major acting websites so there are definitely people on pretty much every show that consider themselves to some degree, an ah-ctorrrrr.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 5:42 PM

Great to see Joshie here. How are you doing and how much cooking are you doing now? I hope all is well....

I think Anne and Bobby are both having fun. And each shows it in different ways. It is fun the look on Bobby's face with some of the silly questions. '

Glad to see squeaky voice gone. She irritated.

schnauzerlover

schnauzerlover

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 7:28 AM

I'm still hearing Sarina's parting words. My paraphrase: I came here to learn to cook and I have. Now I'll go home and fix my family a wonderful meal. Sorry, Sarina, but I don't see that happening.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

I've always like Anne, but thought that Bobby would be too sarcastic or impatient to be on this type of show. He's surprised me, though. He seems amazed at some of the questions that the contestants ask, but he gives a non-sarcastic answer (although I would love to see a 'pop-up thought bubble' that tells us what he's really thinking!). I'm not sure if Anne will win this season. I think that the two strongest competitors are Vinnie and Benjamin. They seem to be fairly consistent in their creations, especially since Benjamin has worked on his 'seasoning' issues. Sarina (and Ericka, for that matter) were extremely entertaining, but needed to be cut, since neither one of them would have been able to handle the final challenge for the judges. Sarina could now possibly fix a good meal for her family, if she can remember to season (even if her own mind is telling her that food sprinkled with salt and pepper is 'too spicy'). Kelli is a puzzle to me. I'm anxious to see how she does next week. I don't think that Tiffany is a plant, but I do think (as others have stated) that she knows more about cooking than she has let on. Does anyone else think she looks like a cross between Sandra Bullock and Brooke Shields?

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

I'm anxious to see how she does next week. I don't think that Tiffany is a plant, but I do think (as others have stated) that she knows more about cooking than she has let on.

And because she started out a little more knowledgeable and competent than the rest, I don't think she ever expected to be at the bottom. She looks genuinely ticked whenever Bobby doesn't sing the praises of one of her dishes. And, when she ended up in the bottom two this ep, she looked like she'd been sucking on lemons all day.

Nightlark

Nightlark

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 7:02 PM

Sarina could now possibly fix a good meal for her family, if she can remember to season (even if her own mind is telling her that food sprinkled with salt and pepper is 'too spicy').

I have a little bit of this problem cooking. This show (and Anne) taught me to not fear salt- i.e. pasta water should be as salty as the ocean. And I went to Penzey's and bought a lot of seasonings to try. Also-- saw the tiny bottle of saffron that cost $90.
I think Sarina will be a better cook now, at least better than Bob or Erica. I have also learned from cooking shows to taste, taste taste. I was yelling that to Bob.

NoPity1066

NoPity1066

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 1:58 AM

Does anyone else think she looks like a cross between Sandra Bullock and Brooke Shields?

Yes, BooksRule, and thank you ! I was going crazy trying to figure out who she looked like. I even enlisted the help of Mr. NoPity, but he drew a blank as well. You hit the nail on the head.

I'm still hearing Sarina's parting words. My paraphrase: I came here to learn to cook and I have. Now I'll go home and fix my family a wonderful meal. Sorry, Sarina, but I don't see that happening.

I don't see that happening either, schnauzerlover, as she still thinks of salt and pepper as exotic "spices" and not cooking staples. And her saffron "decorating" gave me heart palpitations ! Good Lord, what a waste of such a precious thing !

At least they didn't let her near the rare black truffle. I'm sure she would have mashed them like potatoes. I'm SO not sorry to see Squeaky get the boot.

I'm still "Team" Anthony, Kelli, and Dorothy. Just have to see how it pans out...

davout1806

davout1806

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 9:57 AM

I have often wondered how long after the finalists are chosen to be on TV does the competition actually start? I know if I was chosen I would spend my time looking at cookbooks (via the library or whatever) and watching FN teaching shows (not Bama Glama types) and see if I can pick up some tips. I know you get on there because you're bad, but if I was clever I would be bad then I would gradually improve over the weeks because of all the things I had stored in whatever gizmo I was allowed to keep for the duration. To me learning at least a bit from FN would be smart - - even if it was only what types of spices and herbs are available, and what are some meats, etc. and side dishes that go together, and most of all - - the importance of hygiene and basic skills.

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

There's something so odd about Bennett's appearance. It's like all of his features on their own are attractive, but they somehow add up to someone who is just weird looking. I'm glad he's gone. I don't like those always on comedian types, especially when they are not funny, and he wasn't.

Agreed. To me, he looks like someone who's had excessive plastic surgery or Botox. Good riddance.

If Tiffany was all happy to have a "date" with Bobby, why on earth didn't she just pull back her hair in a ponytail? Those two poufs of hair made her look like a poorly groomed poodle.

CoyoteBlue

CoyoteBlue

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 3:30 PM

I know if I was chosen I would spend my time looking at cookbooks (via the library or whatever) and watching FN teaching shows (not Bama Glama types) and see if I can pick up some tips.

If these people could learn by watching cooking shows, you'd think they already would have done so, especially the weepy ones who fear they'll kill off a loved one with their efforts. Apparently, Good Eats is just too much for them to handle without burning the house down (and yes, some of them seem dumb as a box of rocks, I'm sorry, but seriously, Serina and Erica came off as stunningly dimwitted or incapable of learning.) And some of the others have a weird sort of arrogance that they're doing just fine even in the face of their suckitude, and somehow maybe Bobby will have a magic wand that will make the world stop acting so craaazy! (Because clearly, vanilla and chicken not working together is in defiance of the laws of physics and Anne needs to fix that.)

Edited by CoyoteBlue, Mar 7, 2012 @ 3:30 PM.

Selianth

Selianth

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

I'm catching up online and loving Bobby on this. He seems to really enjoy the teaching aspect and love when he realizes he has to explain something more than usual. ("Allspice is just one spice, it's not a lot of spices mixed together." "No, the tortillas will not shrink when you fry them.") Bobby has become one of the "elder statesmen" of the Food Network these days (or maybe has the most "tenure".. you know what I'm getting at) and sometimes I swear he's on 3/4 of the shows on the network.. but I'm SO glad he ended up on this one too.

kittykat

kittykat

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 2:10 PM

I don't see Anne getting the win this season. All of Bobby's remaining 4 are stronger than Anne's remaining 4. My guess is that Anthony or Dorothy is next. Anthony has been coasting and Dorothy keeps reverting back to old habits despite winning a challenge or two. I'm kinda rooting for David because he seems to be doing better but QUIT DROPPING FOOD!

Poor Melissa, her eyes the whole time during her date was reading "soooo...where's the bedroom?" Agree though that Vinnie and Benjamin are the two strongest and have grown the most. Tiffany had a bad week I think she suffered a case of the girl who had been outcooking the rest who freaks out when the others start to catch up to her in skills. Glad that Sarina went home over her. Like Bobby said, she just was Not. Getting. It.

There should so be a youtube with a montage of Bobby's reactions to anything Erica or Sarina said.

LaLoka

LaLoka

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 6:57 PM

There should so be a youtube with a montage of Bobby's reactions to anything Erica or Sarina said.

Hah. This would be awesome. I introduced a friend of mine to the show and we were howling with laugher at some of the stuff Erica said in episode 1.

Maybe there's such a thing as ADD in the kitchen or something.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

I think that there are just some things that people have absolutely no aptitude for, no matter how meticulous the study/instruction and how many times they try, even if it something they are at least mildly interested in. (Kind of like me with knitting!) Sarina definitely fell into that category. She also just didn't strike me as being that bright. Erica was just a scatterbrain. She seems like the manages all aspects of her life in that manner. I am still amazed that she is planning to become a court reporter.

I was glad to see Bennett go. He was creepy. Yes, Tiffani's hair looked terrible. I think the writing is on the wall for Dorothy. Again, she ignored Anne's advice and did what she wanted to.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

(Kind of like me with knitting!)

You too?

I was sad to see Benjamin go. I think Bobby was telling the truth when he said he was his #1 pick. He really had potential. I think we could have gotten rid of Tiffany (I don't see how it could have been so hard to keep the "good potatoes" separate and ready for the judges).

I want to try Ann's kale stuffed potato skins - do they put the recipes on the Food Network website?

GreekGeek

GreekGeek

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 6:11 AM

I was also sorry to see Benjamin go, but I think he got what he wanted out of the lessons. Nice of him to "fire" himself because he wanted to go home to his family.

Dorothy seems to have some actual cooking skills (I missed the show where she tried to make vanilla chicken again). I'd like to see her get a few pointers on the right way to use vanilla in savory dishes.

Another bad week for Tiffany. She no longer seems like a shoo-in. She seems like the kind of woman who is used to coasting on her beauty. When she said [I paraphrase], "Well, my potatoes aren't good so I'll just try to charm everyone into voting for me," I could have gagged.

I like David and his Southern manners. I don't know why Anne got so pissy when he called her "Ma'am." It's just a respectful way of addressing a woman; he's not saying she's old!

rebl rn

rebl rn

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 7:28 AM

I like David and his Southern manners. I don't know why Anne got so pissy when he called her "Ma'am." It's just a respectful way of addressing a woman; he's not saying she's old!

I don't think it's so much the implication that she's old (though a lot of women don't like ma'am for that connotation), it's that the proper response in a kitchen is, "Yes, Chef", so that's what she wants to hear.

Melissa is really doing well, but I'm kinda not surprised. I don't think she's a ringer, but her issues were more issues with food, not issues with cooking. Of course, with her history, it makes sense that she never developed cooking skills, but I think it was more just lack of trying than trying and failing, like it seems with so many of the other contestants. It seems like cooking is coming more natural to her now that she has conquered her other issues with food.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

Tiffany was super annoying in this episode. She seems not to be able to deal unless she's Bobby's favorite and she particularly can't deal with the fact that Melissa is doing better than she is at present. I hope she goes next for Bobby leaving him with Melissa & Vinnie. I can see him taking either to the final.

As for Anne's team I think it it is still a toss up. I get why Dorothy is still there. Her problem is that she thinks she knows best sometimes and comes up with odd flavor combinations on her own, but I think she mostly has the skills down and is able to follow instructions well enough. Though if her knife skills suck that might get her booted next. The chefs are sticklers for knife cuts.

That said, in the finals the judges mostly just need a chef that has the learned skills and can follow instructions. There is no improvising on the part of the chefs at that point. They are just following recipes that the chefs have shown them and generally Anne is smart about making sure the final meal caters to the strengths of her contestant. For instance, last season having Joshie use his sausage making skills. Hopefully Bobby will be smart about this too.

On Anne's team, I'm oddly sort of rooting for David. He's grown on me. It would be entertaining if both chefs wound up taking their recruits that had been swapped out to the finale.

LaLoka

LaLoka

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

I always think that the catering challenge is really hard. Producing that many little canapes in only 90 minutes has got to be challenging!

I too was really sorry to see Benjamin go. I was all, Nooooo, don't go, when he said he was leaving.

She seems like the kind of woman who is used to coasting on her beauty. When she said [I paraphrase], "Well, my potatoes aren't good so I'll just try to charm everyone into voting for me," I could have gagged.

I gritted my teeth when she said this. She's shown indications of being like this from the very beginning. And the more you think you're cute, the less you actually are cute, ya know?

Tiffany was super annoying in this episode. She seems not to be able to deal unless she's Bobby's favorite and she particularly can't deal with the fact that Melissa is doing better than she is at present.

That was annoying as well. Tiffany has a huge ego, I guess. I really like Melissa. She has this appealing vulnerability and she has such a crush on Bobby!

I still think it's because Anne feels it means that she's old. And, yes, Ma'am has nothing to do with age. It has to do with respect. "Yes, Chef"? Come on. It's not like she's a Marine. I like David as well, especially his look of surprise when he does well. He's gotta work on the butterfingers, though.

I think Bobby is going to give Anne a run for her money.

Gulielma

Gulielma

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

I liked that one of Anne's team had altered his jersey so that it said "Yes, Chef" on the back.

hancox17

hancox17

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 1:53 PM

I thought this episode was a bit unfair and uneven in the dishes they were assigned to make. Two of the guys have to peel, boil, mash/grate and fry potatoes along with make the rest of the dish as well as their skins while one woman sticks lamb on a skewer and makes a sauce--not terribly time consuming. And even Tiffany just plopped salmon on basically toast and put a sauce on it.

Although you would think as a poker player, she would know how to count. She was annoying on The Amazing Race and she's annoying on this. I like David and Vinnie.

TiaRachel

TiaRachel

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

It's respectful within Southern culture; it's not respectful (and sometimes actively disrespectful) outside that.

I doubt her problem is that she feels he's calling her old, it's that in the kitchen she's not just some person who happens to be a woman; she's the Chef. In charge. And failing to refer to her by that title -- falling back on how he'd speak to any woman -- is disrespect (within Kitchen culture, which is what they're here to learn).

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

I have to echo that I was so sad to see Benjamin go. I really hoped that he would be Bobby's representative. But I understand his reasoning and missing his family. Unlike Erica and Sarina, I do think he picked up the skills he needed to cook nice meals for his family. However, I couldn't help being mad that his falling on the sword denied the chance for Tiffany to go home, because I think Bobby was ready to send her home.

The guy who had "Yes, Chef" on the back of his Team Anne jersey was Anthony, who was sent home.

I think Melissa is a shoo-in, and I'm glad this experience is helping her with recovery, but I kind of wish Vinnie would ramp it up and win. I like his confessionals because he's funny, and his tribute to his wife was very touching and seemed sincere, unlike some of the other contestants on this show.